How do you feel about Dragon Ball references in mainstream media?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How do you feel about Dragon Ball references in mainstream media?

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but recently an SNL skit made a joke about Trump "going Super Saiyan" after his impeachment. It made me cringe... so I got to thinking, what do you all think about references to Dragon Ball in mainstream media? It usually just reminds me that I'm a nerd watching a kid's show. That "Goku" song by Soulja Boy also made me cringe. Thoughts?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: How do you feel about Dragon Ball references in mainstream media?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm This has probably been discussed before, but recently an SNL skit made a joke about Trump "going Super Saiyan" after his impeachment. It made me cringe... so I got to thinking, what do you all think about references to Dragon Ball in mainstream media? It usually just reminds me that I'm a nerd watching a kid's show. That "Goku" song by Soulja Boy also made me cringe. Thoughts?
I'm fine with it as I honestly don't see that many of them in mainstream media, so I was quite amused when SNL did that.

Does Super Sonic count as a reference?

Ugh did not know that talentless hack Soulja Boy did a DB song but i'm not surprised. :roll:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm
DBZfan29 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 pm This has probably been discussed before, but recently an SNL skit made a joke about Trump "going Super Saiyan" after his impeachment. It made me cringe... so I got to thinking, what do you all think about references to Dragon Ball in mainstream media? It usually just reminds me that I'm a nerd watching a kid's show. That "Goku" song by Soulja Boy also made me cringe. Thoughts?
I'm fine with it as I honestly don't see that many of them in mainstream media, so I was quite amused when SNL did that.

Ugh did not know that talentless hack Soulja Boy did a DB song but i'm not surprised. :roll:
I think he did 2 songs.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm

the soulja boy dragon ball songs are good much like everything he's done.

anyway, i don't like when things i like get referenced in general because i'm intensely embarrassed of everything i like.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm the soulja boy dragon ball songs are good much like everything he's done.

anyway, i don't like when things i like get referenced in general because i'm intensely embarrassed of everything i like.
I feel you on that. I'll talk endlessly about DB while I'm in Japan, but back home I'm a little embarrassed to like it so much.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:53 pm

I wish they were more creative, I feel like I've seen the same (cheap) reference being repeated from decades ago.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm

I mean they exist? Not sure why anyone would have an umbrella feeling about them.

Like, I thought the Dragon Ball Z reference in Buffy was lame as shit because it’s obvious Whedon or whoever wrote the dialog for that episode had no clue about Dragon Ball Z and just knew the names Vegeta, Goku, and Super Saiyan.

I don’t mind the references to Dragon Ball Z in rap. Sure Soulja Boy’s music is a blight on humanity but I don’t care that he references the show in his music.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm I mean they exist? Not sure why anyone would have an umbrella feeling about them.

Like, I thought the Dragon Ball Z reference in Buffy was lame as shit because it’s obvious Whedon or whoever wrote the dialog for that episode had no clue about Dragon Ball Z and just knew the names Vegeta, Goku, and Super Saiyan.

I don’t mind the references to Dragon Ball Z in rap. Sure Soulja Boy’s music is a blight on humanity but I don’t care that he references the show in his music.
I've seen that episode before, and it really felt as though the script person threw in those references without apparently having much knowledge if at all of the series itself.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm I mean they exist? Not sure why anyone would have an umbrella feeling about them.

It's not so much an umbrella feeling about them as it is they are usually, as you said, lame as shit. It reminds me of the Kanzenshuu panel about podcasting that I went to last year. I asked Mike about the humor the guys sometimes use on the show and he at one point said anime fans think they're funny but they're not (or something like that).

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:53 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 pm
Aside the hair, no. Most recent media to use a golden form before the Super Saiyan was Brave Exkaiser. And before that, quite a few more works.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:11 am

I think it's great that an anime franchise has gotten big enough to the point of being referenced in foreign media.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:30 am

I haven't seen a lot of them compared to other popular series, but the ones I have seen haven't been particularly clever or interesting. I have a friend who is a hardcore Buffy fan that says she never heard of Dragon Ball until we became friends, and she went through an anime phase.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Harmless, cringe-worthy and mostly unfunny. So... yeah, pretty much like Saturday Night Live these days.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm

DBZ is probably the most mainstream anime franchise in the United States. So It's not surprising that it will be mention or reference on mainstream TV or movies. I'm surprise a show like Family Guy has not poke fun of DBZ yet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm DBZ is probably the most mainstream anime franchise in the United States.
Pokemon?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Are they cringy because the people making the references probably don’t actually know anything about the series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:15 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:22 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm DBZ is probably the most mainstream anime franchise in the United States.
Pokemon?
Pokemon is a video game series first, but I guess you could say that most people know Pokemon only from the anime. I think DBZ, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Akira, Naruto, Speed Racer, Ghost in the Shell, and Studio Ghibli movies are probably the most famous anime to people who don't know or watch anime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:15 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:22 pm
Pokemon?
Pokemon is a video game series first, but I guess you could say that most people know Pokemon only from the anime. I think DBZ, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Akira, Naruto, Speed Racer, Ghost in the Shell, and Studio Ghibli movies are probably the most famous anime to people who don't know or watch anime.
“Most people” is probably a stretch.

Anyway, in terms of something that originated as a manga, Dragon Ball is probably the most popular a franchise can be.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:02 am

References are nice, as long as they are varied enough. I don't need to see Super Saiyan something in any/every show.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:06 pm

When it's done in good faith and such, I don't mind it. An action figure here or there in the background or the occasional reference to Super Saiyan is fine. The latter especially due to how common a phrase "Super Saiyan" has become among the last 2 generations.

That said, references could easily date something after a couple years.