Grandpa Gohan's Influence on Goku's character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REG

Grandpa Gohan's Influence on Goku's character

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:42 pm

This seems like something people don't notice, but Goku developed into the character he is today because of Grandpa Gohan and no not only because he made Goku hit his head/

There's three key moments that Gohan shaped Goku.

1. Goku hated the training he was doing with Roshi during the first tournament arc until Roshi told him that Gohan was able to do it. This shows that Goku's love for Grandpa Gohan is what drives Goku to push himself.

2. Bora's death and Upa's situation reminiscent of Goku losing his Grandpa Gohan which made him changed from selfishly going only after the 4 star ball to collecting all the Dragon Balls to bring Bora back. This shows that it's Goku's love for Grandpa Gohan that fueled Goku's desire to protect others.

3. Goku's obedience to ChiChi (To some extent at least) is because of Grandpa Gohan telling Goku to be nice to women.

I think it's safe to say that without these 3 key moments Goku would be a different character today.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Grandpa Gohan's Influence on Goku's character

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 pm

He wasn't able to do much, but he taught Goku enough to be a decent character (if not a properly aligned one to society).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Grandpa Gohan's Influence on Goku's character

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:40 pm

I definitely would understand Goku really looking up to his Grandpa because that's the way I am. I have spent 6 years of my life taking care of mine. I don't even own a car or licence and I'm 30. I always thought of Grandpa Gohan like my grandfather. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!