Manga page cut (across editions and translations)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Citharista

Manga page cut (across editions and translations)

Post by Citharista » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Hail all!

Compare these images:

Image Image
Image Image Image Image
(Shonen Jump_up, Shonen Jump_down, French first edition, French Kanzenban, Japanese Full Color, Spanish Color)

Notice their differences? I was stupefied seeing this page cut licence across editions and then even across translations of one edition! Here noteworthy are mainly that car on page side margin and Goku on lower margin. We can see most of that review mirror on Shonen Jump and least of it on Spanish Color. Of Goku we see least on Spanish Color, but all of him on that French first edition! Not even Shonen Jump has the full image!... Neither Kanzenban justifies its name by having the entire picture...

I felt somewhat cheated. Why are we not getting Akira Toriyama's entire page/drawings? (And this leaves me very curious to see his original page...)

I do not understand this difference between Spanish Color and Japanese Full Color, which many times has space for blank margins even though their page sizes are the same. Did Spanish Color increase the image to occupy more of the page?...
Then I feel the colors on Spanish Color (and I believe on Italian Full Color) paler than Japanese or English Full Color. Can some one confirm this?

More examples:

Image Image Image
Image Image
(French first edition, Spanish Tankobon, French Kanzenban, Japanese Full Color, Spanish Color)

Image Image Image
Image Image
(French first edition (notice mirroring only of first row), Spanish Tankobon, French Kanzenban, Japanese Full Color, Spanish Color)

And here:

Image Image
(Spanish Color, English Full Color)

Spanish Color, which many times is the most cut, has more than English Full Color.

Have these comparisons been made somewhere?

What are your opinions on this? Does this bother you?