Could a "Dragon Ball: Next Generation" show work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Could a "Dragon Ball: Next Generation" show work?

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 am

coola wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 am I'm all for it, i ve got burned out with Goku and Vegeta, especially with how Super/Toriyama portray them (mainly Goku)
How do they portray Goku and what could they do with the next generation they can't do with Goku and Vegeta?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:42 am

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 am
coola wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 am I'm all for it, i ve got burned out with Goku and Vegeta, especially with how Super/Toriyama portray them (mainly Goku)
How do they portray Goku and what could they do with the next generation they can't do with Goku and Vegeta?
Not have MC to be battle loving jerk for start :) He/she can like fighting, but not while being dumb as bricks and endanger their friends to have a good fight.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 am

coola wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:42 am
Not have MC to be battle loving jerk for start :) He/she can like fighting, but not while being dumb as bricks and endanger their friends to have a good fight.
It feels odd that you have an issue with his characterization this far into the story as if that wasn't always the character or that it's a problem.

It would certainly be a way to differentiate this hypothetical series from DB, but I don't think Goku being battle crazy or dumb is a bad thing. It makes him different.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Ongam wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 pm Of course it can work, the question is whether TOEI has enough faith to make it interesting. Dragon Ball writing is so 2-dimensional and formulaic, it doesn't seem like it lends itself to creative ingenuity like Boruto to captivate a new audience with stories not revolving around Goku. It's like Kurumada already tried with Gohan and Goten in the past, but the fandom and then his editors rejected the idea. Maybe now it can work, and if it's good, the fans will embrace it because any new Dragon Ball is better than no Dragon Ball, but the desire and creativity has to be there.
Omg this post. I cant even begin to say how wrong it is. Kurumada is not the author of Dragon Ball. And I will have you know Gohan was massively popular at the time the "Attempt at passing the torch happened" Toriyama (That's who authored Dragon Ball BTW) and would have had extremely limited opposition as a main character. The truth is that Toriyama himself felt Gohan wasnt a good replacement and stopped the attempt.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Fight Tao level enemies and actually struggle?

Seems like eventually he'll get to a point like Beerus where he becomes so strong, no one will ever be able to challenge him and his only joy in life will be food and training a rival himself.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:45 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Seems like eventually he'll get to a point like Beerus where he becomes so strong, no one will ever be able to challenge him and his only joy in life will be food and training a rival himself.
So the only way to do anything interesting in a story about seeking greater mountains to climb is to go back to the beginning? There's a giant neon sign it's time to stop.

xm0c

Post by xm0c » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:45 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 am How do they portray Goku and what could they do with the next generation they can't do with Goku and Vegeta?

So the only way to do anything interesting in a story about seeking greater mountains to climb is to go back to the beginning? There's a giant neon sign it's time to stop.
I don't see what the problem is with a new generation of characters fighting a comparatively low level villain. It wouldn't be like Goku and Vegeta fighting Tao. The new generation wouldn't have access to the years of training the Dragon Team had, nor would they have the various power ups and God-level powers. Just because the audience has seen these things in the past with the original generation doesn't mean they'll be underwhelmed when the new generation fights a Tao or even King Piccolo-level enemy.

Take Power Rangers for example. Each series features a new generation of heroes and villains fighting it out, with the villains having various degrees of power and scope. The arguable peaks were In Space with the United Alliance of Evil almost conquering the universe, and RPM with Venjix actually conquering the Earth. Yet still many of the villains these seasons manage to have their own degrees of threat and intrigue (arguably less than after Venjix but that has more to do with poor writing than anything else). In fact, one of the best villains, Ransik, is of much lesser scale than say Rita or Zedd, but still manages to be intimidating.

There's plenty of stories to be told with a new generation after the Dragon Team are gone. For example, you could make the main hero (yes, hero) actually fear for his life every time he battles, not being sure if he'll be able to survive or not, but still fight knowing he can't just sit and watch. Goku showed fear rarely in the series, and isn't really a hero, so this would immediately set him apart.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 pm

xm0c wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 pm

I don't see what the problem is with a new generation of characters fighting a comparatively low level villain. It wouldn't be like Goku and Vegeta fighting Tao. The new generation wouldn't have access to the years of training the Dragon Team had, nor would they have the various power ups and God-level powers. Just because the audience has seen these things in the past with the original generation doesn't mean they'll be underwhelmed when the new generation fights a Tao or even King Piccolo-level enemy.

Take Power Rangers for example. Each series features a new generation of heroes and villains fighting it out, with the villains having various degrees of power and scope. The arguable peaks were In Space with the United Alliance of Evil almost conquering the universe, and RPM with Venjix actually conquering the Earth. Yet still many of the villains these seasons manage to have their own degrees of threat and intrigue (arguably less than after Venjix but that has more to do with poor writing than anything else). In fact, one of the best villains, Ransik, is of much lesser scale than say Rita or Zedd, but still manages to be intimidating.

There's plenty of stories to be told with a new generation after the Dragon Team are gone. For example, you could make the main hero (yes, hero) actually fear for his life every time he battles, not being sure if he'll be able to survive or not, but still fight knowing he can't just sit and watch. Goku showed fear rarely in the series, and isn't really a hero, so this would immediately set him apart.

We don’t need Dragon Ball to become Power Rangers where it just resets itself every year to sell new toys.

It’s clear this is less about “Dragon Ball has more stories to tell” and more about people can’t just let a franchise die because they’ve been conditioned by toy commercials like Pokemon and Power Rangers to just not lets things end.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 pmIt’s clear this is less about “Dragon Ball has more stories to tell” and more about people can’t just let a franchise to die because they’ve been conditioned by toy commercials like Pokemon and Power Rangers to just not lets things end.
It seems like everything now is either getting extended beyond its natural end point, being brought back from the dead, or being "reinvented". I understand it from a financial point, but I think a lot of creativity is being left behind in favor of just staying in the safe place of established franchise.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 pm We don’t need Dragon Ball to become Power Rangers where it just resets itself every year to sell new toys.
Obviously those shows should have sold new toys the right way by introducing a new transformation.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:01 am

Who is leading the series? What is the story of the series? The series can be a good series but it wouldn't be Dragon Ball because Dragon Ball is about Son Gokuu.

Give me a Kale and Caulifla series with Matsui Aya as head writer and Zako Arifumi, Satou Jun'ichi, Kamatani Haruka, Tanaka Yuuta, Ishitani Megumi or Ootsuka Takashi as series director and I think they could pull off something really neat. Fans are already invested in the relatively still fresh Kale and Caulifla, so why not build off of their scenes in the Tournament of Power arc? That's 'new generation' material right there, especially if executives and the like keep out of the series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 am

I don't think Goku and Vegeta are so much important as having saiyans they can lead a series like Goku and Vegeta. As long as the main characters care about fighting and training and transform a next gen Dragonball would work.

Gohan, Goten and Trunks can't lead because their part human and want to have normal lives. Uub I don't think would work becasue he lacks a transformation and would likely not train to the degree of Goku.

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:30 am

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 am How do they portray Goku and what could they do with the next generation they can't do with Goku and Vegeta?

There is an easy way to accomplish both, increasing the stakes with Goku still on the show while simultaneously introducing a new functional main character. In fact it is already being done as we speak. Let me introduce you to the amazingness that is Dragon Ball Legends.

Arguably Bandai Namco's most profitable game currently, a game which made 140 million$ Worldwide in less than a year. Its not only getting praise for the gameplay but also it's great story mode. There we follow Shallot, design by Toriyama, a Saiyan from the past whos been sent to the present to fight in the greatest tournament ever, the Tournament of Time. Where others from different times have been accumulated on present Earth(post T.O.P) to fight. Who arranged this nobody knows. And its not a traditional tournament think of it like the tournament of power only instead of a ring this tournament is without restrictions basically the entire planet Earth. Furthermore there are no teams, everyone for themselves. But you can team up if you wish.

Back to Shallot, he currently has amnesia and remembers nothing of his past life, he makes friends with past Bulma(16) who was sent to the present as well. And together those two continue to make friends and fight along the way. They eventualliy find Goku and Beerus&Whis whom are actually investigating the plot, who sent all these fighters to the present? Might the enemy plan to fell the Omni-King?

This is why it is so amazing and so beloved. We follow Shallot as he get's stronger his personality is brash but friendly when he needs to, nd he is not the only original character either. Through Shallot's journey we get reintroduced to many past faces. Such as Nappa, who is his master, Shallot even ends up working for Frieza for a while. And as for Goku and the Z fighters they are still involved, the story keeps going in fact it updates regularly so Goku's involvement might increase.

The main point here is that the Anime could adapt the Legends Story, with a little rework of course, and it would work with Shallot as the main character. I understand not usurping Goku as the overall main character for DB, but it could work for a long running spin off series like the one I have outlined here.
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:37 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 am I don't think Goku and Vegeta are so much important as having saiyans they can lead a series like Goku and Vegeta. As long as the main characters care about fighting and training and transform a next gen Dragonball would work.
Then it’s just Goku with a new code of paint;even more pointless.

Guys, it’s okay for Dragon Ball to just end. The original series alone has 444 episodes(508 if we count GT), 17 movies, and 3 or so tv specials. That’s not even counting the unnecessary revival series, some stupid as fuck off brand web toy commercial (whatever the fuck Heroes is) and 3 revival films.

It. Doesn’t. Need. More. Content.

I find it deeply ironic that a series that many considered went past its prime in its original run (with many thinking it should have ended at Freeza or Cell) and whose revival series was largely considered a pointless exercise in milking nostalgia and regressing characters is a series people want more from.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:09 am

If Dragon Ball fans were monolithic we'd not be having this discussion. Dragon Ball fans are not monolithic, they all have various wishes for the franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:21 am

Buu saga was Dragon Ball: Next Generation until the part where Goku and Vegeta come back to life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:47 am

zekken1 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:30 am There is an easy way to accomplish both, increasing the stakes with Goku still on the show while simultaneously introducing a new functional main character. In fact it is already being done as we speak. Let me introduce you to the amazingness that is Dragon Ball Legends.

Arguably Bandai Namco's most profitable game currently, a game which made 140 million$ Worldwide in less than a year. Its not only getting praise for the gameplay but also it's great story mode. There we follow Shallot, design by Toriyama, a Saiyan from the past whos been sent to the present to fight in the greatest tournament ever, the Tournament of Time. Where others from different times have been accumulated on present Earth(post T.O.P) to fight. Who arranged this nobody knows. And its not a traditional tournament think of it like the tournament of power only instead of a ring this tournament is without restrictions basically the entire planet Earth. Furthermore there are no teams, everyone for themselves. But you can team up if you wish.

Back to Shallot, he currently has amnesia and remembers nothing of his past life, he makes friends with past Bulma(16) who was sent to the present as well. And together those two continue to make friends and fight along the way. They eventualliy find Goku and Beerus&Whis whom are actually investigating the plot, who sent all these fighters to the present? Might the enemy plan to fell the Omni-King?

This is why it is so amazing and so beloved. We follow Shallot as he get's stronger his personality is brash but friendly when he needs to, nd he is not the only original character either. Through Shallot's journey we get reintroduced to many past faces. Such as Nappa, who is his master, Shallot even ends up working for Frieza for a while. And as for Goku and the Z fighters they are still involved, the story keeps going in fact it updates regularly so Goku's involvement might increase.

The main point here is that the Anime could adapt the Legends Story, with a little rework of course, and it would work with Shallot as the main character. I understand not usurping Goku as the overall main character for DB, but it could work for a long running spin off series like the one I have outlined here.
As a game, that sounds fun, as a story, I have little interest in it. It doesn't push the narrative forward, it just keeps it trapped in amber. It's okay to let things go. As long as it's streaming, I figure I'll watch it. It's good enough to keep my interest, but the best things are when characters are taken in fresh but logical directions. I like seeing Vegeta becoming a mentor, and I liked seeing Gohan grow more skilled in battle, not just rely on his emotions. Progress excites me. Chasing nostalgia is like a junkie chasing a high, not only is it a losing battle, it grows increasingly more frustrating when they can't recapture that feeling.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:54 am

Please no... I'm not saying it can't be good, but it probably wouldn't be. They're generally meant to ride on the success of their predecessors. Naruto did with Boruto and while it's financially successful, it's a slog to watch.

Hell, even Super just feels like fluff; a fun romp on first viewing, but I don't see myself going back to watch it.

I'd rather Toei focus their creative efforts on having movies that come out every few years or so; just enough to keep the franchise alive and relevant, but not enough to causeso franchise fatigue.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am

I might be down for a new movie every few years.

We're in such a new paradigm in terms of how people watch TV and movies. I'm interested to see how much further this new boom period will go.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am I might be down for a new movie every few years.

We're in such a new paradigm in terms of how people watch TV and movies. I'm interested to see how much further this new boom period will go.
a new movie each year or so is working VERY well for digimon, and keeping a consistent story. I'm sure it could work for DB/ db:tng too.