Level 1.1 back...in stock?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Level 1.1 back...in stock?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:35 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:51 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 pm I get that it's rare, but it's the first of an incomplete release.
Some people like to collect releases or even might not have dragon box 1 (it doesnt cover all the episodes but it's better than nothing)

As of right now there is no release to get 99% of the saiayan saga in 4x3 that isnt oop and this one blip took care of that for a few days
Alright. I'm not a collector. I don't really get collecting if you don't get use from it, and it just seems odd to me to value an upgraded picture of 17 episodes.
Totally fair. I have level 1.1 and 1.2, dragon box 1 and 3 and the 30th set. They all offer somthing different. If we could get level set quality with text japanese op, english and japanese title cards and NEP then I'd sell these all off in a heart beat.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:43 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm I'm not a collector. I don't really get collecting if you don't get use from it, and it just seems odd to me to value an upgraded picture of 17 episodes.
I mean the level sets are the best way picture wise to watch those episodes. It's not hard to just switch to another release when those episodes run out. Whether that be the DBoxes or something else. Even from a non-collecting standpoint, why wouldn't you want the best possible looking release? Even if its only a couple sets.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:27 pm

I agree with the pleasure of collecting sentiment. Once my copy of Level 1.1 arrives I'll own at least the first half of the Saiyan arc five times (Arrival, level 1.1, Z season 1 BD, Kai US Season 1, Kai UK Season 1) and I like that I get something different out of all of them, and every one I currently own I've watched in full at least once so I got my money's worth.

I also like seeing a selection of Dragon Ball home releases on my shelf, and like someone else said the levels are an important part of this series' home media history, so for me, because I like documenting these things buying 1.1 was a must.

I get not wanting to collect something if you won't get any use out of them. That's why I only really buy home releases and don't buy other forms of merchandise.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:43 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm I'm not a collector. I don't really get collecting if you don't get use from it, and it just seems odd to me to value an upgraded picture of 17 episodes.
I mean the level sets are the best way picture wise to watch those episodes. It's not hard to just switch to another release when those episodes run out. Whether that be the DBoxes or something else. Even from a non-collecting standpoint, why wouldn't you want the best possible looking release? Even if its only a couple sets.
I'm price sensitive so for the cost of so few episodes I don't think it's worth it. DVD quality is fine.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:46 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Leve ... _s_sparkle

level 1.1, one left in stock from amazon

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:58 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:46 pm https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Leve ... _s_sparkle

level 1.1, one left in stock from amazon
Not anymore.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:27 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm Correct, you kinda have to do that so it visually blends. Although I honestly don't know why considering you wouldn't be able to tell on a CRT anyways.
The remasters are specifically being done because people don't watch TV on CRTs anymore outside third world countries and super impoverished communities. 1080p HD TVs have been the standard for upper lower class families for about 10 years now and everyone else is moving onto 4k smart TVs or even 8k in some markets.

If we were still watching on old CRT sets or still watching VHS or DVD copies, it wouldn't really matter much how good the image quality is because you can't really get good high definition out of a CRT monitor/set. Unfortunately for older shows made before HD became the airing standard, this means they have to be touched up and remastered if they're to look any good on a modern display.
ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm Earnest question... why does anyone care about one set from an incomplete release being in stock?
Whether it's a complete release or not is pretty irrelevant. Not all of us are just looking to buy one version of the story and stick with that. Some of us (myself included) want to own as all the different versions officially produced (and in my case, I have back-up copies of TFS's version as well). That said, there's also an independent subset who just want the version that looks the most accurate to the original and looks the best on modern displays.
ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 pm DVD quality is fine.
You do you, but it should be noted that most people aren't fine with watching sub-HD footage on a 50" 4K TV like many of us have. I tried watching my old InuYasha DVDs (specifically the movie Swords of the Honorable Ruler) and the amount of artifacting and such absolutely ruined any enjoyment I could have gotten from finishing it. Picking up the BRs was by far a better decision than trying to force myself to watch the DVD.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:27 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm Correct, you kinda have to do that so it visually blends. Although I honestly don't know why considering you wouldn't be able to tell on a CRT anyways.
The remasters are specifically being done because people don't watch TV on CRTs anymore outside third world countries and super impoverished communities. 1080p HD TVs have been the standard for upper lower class families for about 10 years now and everyone else is moving onto 4k smart TVs or even 8k in some markets.
Yes but we were talking specifically about the Level sets, weren't we? At that time there were still a few people using CRTs at least.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:43 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 am Yes but we were talking specifically about the Level sets, weren't we? At that time there were still a few people using CRTs at least.
Yes, but the key word is "few." Most people moved away from SD TVs years before the level sets were released in 2011. US TV stations started transitioning away from sub-720p definition broadcasts in 1998 with a mandatory switch from analog channels to digital broadcasting in 2009 that only helped further push sub-HD TV sets out of the market as most didn't have HDMI input compatibility and everyone else moved away from defaulting to old composite cables for things like game consoles and blu-ray players.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am

So was it legitimately back in stock or...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am So was it legitimately back in stock or...
Yup! Sold and ship by amazon. Brand new and sealed

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Any word from Funimation on why they chose to start reprinting this release?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pm Any word from Funimation on why they chose to start reprinting this release?
That's where it goes into some mystery. There are 4 theories I've read/thought of

1) Amazon found some old stock of 1.1 and 1.2
2) FUNimation is clearing out old stock
3) FUNimation is testing waters
4) FUNimation is printing new sets

I don't think they're new pressing because level 1.1 has a little "made in Mexico" sticker that 1.2 doesn't have and my new 1.1 has this same sticker as well so it would appear it's older stock. But the re-stocks are sparatic with what seems a different amount of stocks.

I have just thought of a 5th theory that's kinda all the above
FUNimation is printing these on-demand/clearing out stock, in **maybe** a possible made on-demand release of the level/un DNRED scans after the mess the 30th was. We did get Dragon Boxes after the Orange Bricks.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Ringworm128 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 pm Any word from Funimation on why they chose to start reprinting this release?
Unlikely to be new printings. More likely it's warehouse clearance; old stock that was never sold, being sold as new stock.

It would explain the small numbers, and the seemingly-random timing of this all.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Leve ... 288&sr=8-2

Even more unusual.... Amazon's page for Level 2.1 popped up again.

No copies are available, but it's most likely because there are no official printings as despite the rumours I've never seen any hard evidence (i.e screenshots of the package) to confirm copies of 2.1 exist and the reviews point to customers who own level 1.1 and 1.2
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Different

Post by Different » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure Funimation is just clearing old stock. This anomaly is not exclusively Dragon Ball related, there's tons of old Limited Edition sets marked down to $10-15 on Amazon, Rightstuf and even inside Dollar General, all these are from 2011-2015, several were out of print and expensive too.

I think Funimation is probably clearing their warehouse and making room for their new (not really new anymore) Essentials and Classics line, where they rerelease older stuff with lower prices.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Different wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:31 pmI think Funimation is probably clearing their warehouse and making room for their new (not really new anymore) Essentials and Classics line, where they rerelease older stuff with lower prices.
Haven't thought about that, but that's also plausible. If anything Funimation could be clearing space to make room for the (probably inevitable) standard editions of the 30th anniversary set, which also wouldn't be ideal but at least better than both the orange brick and Blu-Ray Season sets.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:41 pm

More copies of 1.1 in stock for anyone Interested.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 pm https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Leve ... 288&sr=8-2

Even more unusual.... Amazon's page for Level 2.1 popped up again.

No copies are available, but it's most likely because there are no official printings as despite the rumours I've never seen any hard evidence (i.e screenshots of the package) to confirm copies of 2.1 exist and the reviews point to customers who own level 1.1 and 1.2
There's something weird about how Amazon's pages are created. I can't remember the exact details, but I think if a listing shows up on a vendor site, Amazon bots will load it up and create a page for it. It's how the infamous "A Day with Spongebob" Amazon listing appeared.

Now, if FUNimation actually cared about the quality of its flagship franchise and wanted to do a quality release of it, I'd be thrilled! I'd also question why they did a terri-bad release of it for the anniversary of the series first, but then I'd be thrilled.

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 pm

While this is most likely just Funimation/Amazon clearing out leftover stock, would it be helpful if everyone that buys the sets left positive reviews? These sets flying off the shelves and earning positive feedback is likely to go ignored by out-of-touch Funi, but at this point I'm desperate enough to try anything.