Which dub is more faithful to the original audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which dub is more faithful to the original audio?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 am
I've never seen any info to suggest any reason why either dub kept Mezase in episode 19, nor any info to suggest Blue Water either had the masters, or had a license, to use most of the insert songs.
So, either you have info I don't, or you're wildly speculating and passing it off as facts.
Valerius has already pointed out the Anitunes tracks only existed in place of the insert songs that Funimation was able to retain. The scenes that lacked insert songs were music-less in both versions. Meaning AB Groupe and Funimation had the exact same masters that included just those 4 songs and Blue Water made the deliberate choice to replace the Japanese singing with the stock music they had. They only kept Mezase Tenkaichi in episose 19 because it was instrumental only and had no Japanese singing.

I’m pretty vocal that I’m not a fan of how Funimation chose to handle Defeat the Red Ribbon Army and Blue Travelers (the first one in particular ) but no what Blue Water did was way worse here.

. So, we're pretty lucky that Funi even got the four that they did... But honestly, I'm not sure getting 2 out of ~15 right is that good a record, particularly when Blue Water at least had something play in basically all of these sections, and let the characters fall somewhat silent, so it's actually a decent rendering of the original scene, even though the music is different.
2 out the 4 right is better than what Blue Water did which was 0 (as far as songs go, good on Blue Water for other things like more accurate scripts in general)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Ok, don't blame you guys for being confused, so lemme make a lazy chart. :crazy:

Episode 19 instrumental kept in both versions.
Episode 28 song removed in Funi, replaced in BW.
Episode 29 song removed in both versions.
Episode 30 song removed in both versions.
Episode 33 song removed in Funi, replaced in BW.
Episode 35 song removed in both versions.
Episode 43 song removed in both versions.
Episode 48 song removed in both versions.
Episode 65 song kept in Funi, scene cut in BW.
Episode 76 song kept in Funi, scene cut in BW.
Episode 78 song kept in Funi, scene mostly cut in BW (instrumental bit at the end only part kept).
Episode 86 song kept in Funi, replaced in BW.
Episode 87 song removed in both versions.
Episode 95 song removed in both versions.

It tells us they had different masters to work with that already had most, but not all songs removed. BW replaced songs in their masters, Funi didn't.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm Ok, don't blame you guys for being confused, so lemme make a lazy chart. :crazy:

Episode 78 song kept in Funi, scene mostly cut in BW (instrumental bit at the end only part kept).

It tells us they had different masters to work with that already had most, but not all songs removed. BW replaced songs in their masters, Funi didn't.
My mistake in assuming they had the exact same masters. Thank you for the breakdown.

I will say it should still be clear when Blue Water/AB groupe had the song and when they didn’t based on when they used their music and when the scene was silent.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm
Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm Ok, don't blame you guys for being confused, so lemme make a lazy chart. :crazy:

My mistake in assuming they had the exact same masters. Thank you for the breakdown.

I will say it should still be clear when Blue Water/AB groupe had the song and when they didn’t based on when they used their music and when the scene was silent.
Mm.

I wonder if BW failing to use the insert songs was a rights issue, then.

FYI, they did use the original Japanese Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku in GT episode 64, so clearly they didn't have an issue with using Japanese songs.

This is rather puzzling.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Mm.

FYI, they did use the original Japanese Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku in GT episode 64, so clearly they didn't have an issue with using Japanese songs.

This is rather puzzling.
I mean...would’t that imply Funimation had paid money to use the few songs they did if the rights to the songs featured in the show weren’t included? I can’t fathom Funimation paying extra to use the Japanese songs especially if they’re gonna screw up half of them anyways

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:36 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:27 pm Mm.
This is rather puzzling.
I mean...would’t that imply Funimation had paid money to use the few songs they did if the rights to the songs featured in the show weren’t included? I can’t fathom Funimation paying extra to use the Japanese songs especially if they’re gonna screw up half of them anyways
Never assume any degree of competence or forethought when talking about Funimation.

Still, even with that, it doesn't have to be that Funi paid a license. It could be as simple as Ocean/Westwood assuming they needed a license, and Funi not assuming, and Toei not clarifying the situation to either; so Funi proceeded, without checking if they had the necessary rights, and Westwood/Ocean played it safe, and Toei never talked it over with either of them.

Or Funi's license from the beginning included the insert songs and such, but Westwood's didn't.
Or there was some complication involving the fact the Westwood dubs were primarily for Europe, and maybe Toei Europe specifically were anal about use of the insert songs.

There's a bunch of different explanations why.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm
Never assume any degree of competence or forethought when talking about Funimation.
A very valid and accurate point. HOWEVER, I feel like the main thing is even the idea that Funimation paid extra money to use some songs for the Dragon Ball dub would suggest they gave any effort in their Dragon Ball dub. The series they always treated like shit and like it was the unwanted stepchild in their marriage to DBZ. If the insert songs were there it's almost 100 percent certainty that they were included in the masters Toei gave them and they didn't bother to do anything with them. Hell, the non-stop narration in Burning Passion, defeat the Red Ribbon army felt like Funimation not knowing what the hell to do with the music so they just tried having Armstrong talk over it as loud as possible.

It could be as simple as Ocean/Westwood assuming they needed a license, and Funi not assuming, and Toei not clarifying the situation to either; so Funi proceeded, without checking if they had the necessary rights, and Westwood/Ocean played it safe, and Toei never talked it over with either of them.
That actually makes the most sense. That Blue Water/Westwood wasn't sure if there would be repercussions for using insert songs so they wiped them out with stock music just to play it safe and Funimation didn't have the effort to care.
Or Funi's license from the beginning included the insert songs and such, but Westwood's didn't.
Or there was some complication involving the fact the Westwood dubs were primarily for Europe, and maybe Toei Europe specifically were anal about use of the insert songs.

There's a bunch of different explanations why.
Also possible. The whole thing never made sense. Like why would Toei remove some insert songs and not others? And then when Pioneer dubbed the Z movies they definitely got the insert songs (although I think there was an issue where the songs went mute when characters were talking when it didn't in Japanese?) but when Funimation redubbed them they seemed to only have instrumental versions of Gohan's insert songs (same with AB Groupe's Big Green dub)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 pm

ronaldnorth_03 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:21 am I have organized myself with a project involving the entire Dragon Ball franchise being launched. Due to its large fan base I decided to include english dub. What is the most accurate dubbing for each product in the series, I don't care about inconsistencies in the cast, just the best and most faithful dub.

Dragon Ball: ???
   Movie 1: ???
   Movie 2: ???
   Movie 3: ???
   Movie 4: ???

Dragon Ball Z: ???
    TV Special 1: ???
    TV Special 2: ???
     Movie 1: ???
     Movie 2: ???
     Movie 3: ???
     Movie 4: ???
     Movie 5: ???
     Movie 6: ???
     Movie 7: ???
     Movie 8: ???
     Movie 9: ???
     Movie 10: ???
     Movie 11: ???
     Movie 12: ???
     Movie 13: ???

Battle of Gods: ???
Resurrection F: ???

Dragon Ball Super: ???
      Broly: ???

If there is no dub true to the original audio, you can hide it.
Has to be the Spanish Mexican dub for Z. Not sure about what's the most accurate dub for the rest but I'm content with the french dub.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:32 am

I thought the list was only about English dubs. Once you bring in other languages to the mix, things get more complicated...

The Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs, for the most part, tend to be really good from an accuracy standpoint (or so I've heard. English is the only language I speak). Even the best of them have annoying flaws (Not saying the Son surname, "I wish to conquer Bulma!" instead of the panties wish, some at times bizarre naming like "Piccoro Daimaku" and "Dr. Maki Gero", Piccolo's adlibs, Brazilian Portuguese Super going gag dub, etc), but accuracy wise they're probably an A... maybe at worst a B. I still don't think there are any S rank dubs accuracy wise... at least from western languages.

The French dub... with its childish opening themes, it's simplified script, it's desire to avoid naming characters whenever possible (wasn't there a long time where Vegeta was just "the enemy" and Freeza was just "the tyrant?" Hell, Goku wasn't named until ep. 5 of DB AFAIK. Before then he was his "grandfather's grandson"), the bizarre names it does come up with at times (Satan Little Heart instead of Piccolo, Space Warriors instead of Saiyans, Super Warriors instead of Super Saiyans..... correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyper Warriors instead of Super Saiyan 2 and Mega Warriors instead of Super Saiyan 3?), Kakarot/Kakarroto only being used once or twice... as Cachalot (sperm whale)...

really, I was under the impression that it didn't get good until Kai, where they surprisingly got rid of a lot of the flaws of old.

As for English dubs, I'll probably talk about those in another post...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:32 am I thought the list was only about English dubs. Once you bring in other languages to the mix, things get more complicated...

The Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs, for the most part, tend to be really good from an accuracy standpoint (or so I've heard. English is the only language I speak). Even the best of them have annoying flaws (Not saying the Son surname, "I wish to conquer Bulma!" instead of the panties wish, some at times bizarre naming like "Piccoro Daimaku" and "Dr. Maki Gero", Piccolo's adlibs, Brazilian Portuguese Super going gag dub, etc), but accuracy wise they're probably an A... maybe at worst a B. I still don't think there are any S rank dubs accuracy wise... at least from western languages.

The French dub... with its childish opening themes, it's simplified script, it's desire to avoid naming characters whenever possible (wasn't there a long time where Vegeta was just "the enemy" and Freeza was just "the tyrant?" Hell, Goku wasn't named until ep. 5 of DB AFAIK. Before then he was his "grandfather's grandson"), the bizarre names it does come up with at times (Satan Little Heart instead of Piccolo, Space Warriors instead of Saiyans, Super Warriors instead of Super Saiyans..... correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyper Warriors instead of Super Saiyan 2 and Mega Warriors instead of Super Saiyan 3?), Kakarot/Kakarroto only being used once or twice... as Cachalot (sperm whale)...

really, I was under the impression that it didn't get good until Kai, where they surprisingly got rid of a lot of the flaws of old.

The topic doesn't say English dubs. It says dubs.

You seem like you didn't read my post. I wrote French dub of super and the new movies. I could add Kai there too.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:32 am

The French dub... with its childish opening themes, it's s
lol wasn’t the Blue Water opening for Dragon Ball based on the French opening?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am
Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:32 am

The French dub... with its childish opening themes, it's s
lol wasn’t the Blue Water opening for Dragon Ball based on the French opening?
Yes. If you lived in the UK, you got a weird drums&bass remix, but if you lived in Canada, you basically got a dubbed version of the French opening.

-

Regarding foreign dubs...
My knowledge isn't great, but I hear if you're going to watch a foreign dub, your best bet is the Latino Spanish one; it's consistently good, though modern releases replace random sections of audio with shitty material redubbed using Funi's Z dub scripts as a base. (Basically it's like Funi's "Remastered" dub except the original thing it's screwing up was actually really good)

Though if you're going to learn a non-English language, you're best off trying Japanese instead so you can watch the show in its original form. :lol:

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:53 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:32 am I thought the list was only about English dubs. Once you bring in other languages to the mix, things get more complicated...

As a Brazilian, I know the Brazilian dub well. Overall, the series dub is pretty accurate.

Dragon Ball: Based on Mexican scripts, but extremely censored and with altered dialogues.

Z: It is a very accurate dubbing. The cast is perfectly good and surprisingly was not censored. The only caveat is the Saga Boo broadcast audio, which was not found and we only have worse audio than the Dragon Box. In addition, some terms like Oozaru, Scouter have been translated into our language. There is an interesting fact, Kami Sama has not been translated into Portuguese. There are rumors that it was for religious reasons. And Mr. Satan remained the same as the original, despite much controversy.

GT: It's a solid dub, but with some pronunciation errors.

Kai: Although accurate (even more than Z), the cast is not so good and was highly censored (similar to 4Kids).

Super: It's a good dub, especially with a cast from 20 years ago. However, many national jokes and slang were added which made some characters uncharacteristic. Fortunately it was redub and they were eliminated.

The dubbing of the films is very solid, except for the TV specials.

The Alamo studio, the same as Z, redub the specials fixing many errors of the Parisi studio, but Bardock is still called Bardack.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So far I've been able to understand what happens with english dub, it's a shame that it's so fickle.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:11 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 am You seem like you didn't read my post. I wrote French dub of super and the new movies. I could add Kai there too.
I did read your post.
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 pm Has to be the Spanish Mexican dub for Z. Not sure about what's the most accurate dub for the rest but I'm content with the french dub.
You didn't mention Super or the new movies... at least outside of the quoted OP... who also mentioned the first Dragon Ball series.

As for what you said, ronaldnorth_03, didn't all the classic Brazil dubs (with the partial exception of the Gota Magica dub, which would eventually switch sources from the AFAIK censored Producciones Salgado dub to the AFAIK uncensored by the point reached Zero y El Dragon Magico dub; as well as the Studio Gabia dub or DBZ Movie 3 which cut a bunch of things) have the same level of censorship as the Latino Spanish dub? Would I also be right in saying that most of the inaccurate dialogue in the Alamo OG DB dub occurs in the first sixty episodes?

As for Kai (I'm assuming you mean ep 1-98, as opposed to Boo Kai... of which I was under the impression that the script was less accurate than Z) the censorship may have been annoying, but it literally wasn't 4kids bad. What you received was the "Nicktoons" edited version. Back in the day Kai also aired on CW4kids/Toonzai/Vortexx with even heavier censorship from 4kids (and later Saban) (it was still Funimation's dub).
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:11 pm
sangofe wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 am You seem like you didn't read my post. I wrote French dub of super and the new movies. I could add Kai there too.
I did read your post.
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 pm Has to be the Spanish Mexican dub for Z. Not sure about what's the most accurate dub for the rest but I'm content with the french dub.
You didn't mention Super or the new movies... at least outside of the quoted OP... who also mentioned the first Dragon Ball series.

As for what you said, ronaldnorth_03, didn't all the classic Brazil dubs (with the partial exception of the Gota Magica dub, which would eventually switch sources from the AFAIK censored Producciones Salgado dub to the AFAIK uncensored by the point reached Zero y El Dragon Magico dub; as well as the Studio Gabia dub or DBZ Movie 3 which cut a bunch of things) have the same level of censorship as the Latino Spanish dub? Would I also be right in saying that most of the inaccurate dialogue in the Alamo OG DB dub occurs in the first sixty episodes?

As for Kai (I'm assuming you mean ep 1-98, as opposed to Boo Kai... of which I was under the impression that the script was less accurate than Z) the censorship may have been annoying, but it literally wasn't 4kids bad. What you received was the "Nicktoons" edited version. Back in the day Kai also aired on CW4kids/Toonzai/Vortexx with even heavier censorship from 4kids (and later Saban) (it was still Funimation's dub).
"The rest" was implying the rest of the thread starters list. Sorry if that wasn't clear. He clearly didn't ask for the z anime TV show.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:11 pm
I did read your post.

The Gota Mágica dub (1-60) is as censored as the poplar version. The work of Álamo's studio (1-60) for the first 60 episodes is highly censored, even modifying dialogues. However, when the DPN studio dubbed the rest of the episodes, the censorship continued, but in fewer scenes.

Studio Gábia's work for film 3, which was released here in theaters such as Dragon Ball Z: The Movie, did not suffer any type of censorship as I recall. And it also suffered a redub on the part of the poplar. Another curious fact is that in Brazil, films 9 and 12 were released as a film only entitled The Battle In Both Worlds. Much later they were separated. Did this happen in the country if you?

In the Brazilian dub the weak points are Dragon Ball, Kai (1-98), Bardock and Trunks Special (from the Parisi Video studio).

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 pm

A small correction about the Brazilian Dragon Ball dub:

1996: Gota Mágica studio (1-60). This version was broadcast on the Brazilian channel SBT.

2002: Álamo studio (1-60) and DPN Santos (61-153). This version is a redub made after the Brazilian channel Globo bought the broadcast rights.

2006: Álamo (1-153) Cartoon Network Brazil bought the broadcast rights and remade episodes 61-153 by Álamo studio.

Surprisingly, the Gota Mágica studio dub is missing and we can only find the opening and a few episodes. About DPN, we only find its opening.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:37 pm

I think you mean "popular". "poplar" refers to a kind of tree.

As for Studio Gabia DBZ Movie 3...
gregoryluis09 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:47 am
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I knew that theatrical Tree of Might was edited, but what was cut exactly?
Turles's henchmen trowing the seeds of the tree in the ground, Gohan playing with Icarus, Icarus looking to the sky sensing that something would happen and the tree growing up.
Is this right? Also, I've never heard of movie 9 & 12 paired up. Was it a case of two movies with one set of credits, like the Fillipino English DBZ Movies 5-6 double feature and the Harmony Gold DB Movies 1&3 double feature (and presumably also the French DBZ Movies 12-13 double feature originally), or were they two standalone movies packed on the same package (like Funimation's double feature sets and AFAIK the Fillipino English DBZ Movies 10-11 double feature)?

On a different note, you're saying Gota Magica and Alamo 1-60 have the same level of censorship? Ditto DPN 61-153 and Alamo 61-153?
From what I gathered, Gota Magica used the Producciones Salgado dub as late as ep 12 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aB_XMHRH9c), but Zero y El Dragon Magico/Video Doblajes no later than ep 27 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIMlP7bvTA)
What differences are there between the two dubs, especially once Gota Magica used the Zero material? Oh, it's missing? I thought surely more episodes were preserved than just "a few". Here's another youtube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjKAUf-PzA)

Also, I noticed that you didn't mention the BKS dubs of the DB movie trilogy that inexplicably used We Gotta Power (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhFR7z9uUE) and We Were Angels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s02_8wWu9MU) for their OP/ED... or the obscure unreleased CBS dub of DB which covered ep 25-28 which apparently exists.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:46 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:37 pm I think you mean "popular". "poplar" refers to a kind of tree.

As for Studio Gabia DBZ Movie 3...
gregoryluis09 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:47 am
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I knew that theatrical Tree of Might was edited, but what was cut exactly?
Turles's henchmen trowing the seeds of the tree in the ground, Gohan playing with Icarus, Icarus looking to the sky sensing that something would happen and the tree growing up.
Is this right? Also, I've never heard of movie 9 & 12 paired up. Was it a case of two movies with one set of credits, like the Fillipino English DBZ Movies 5-6 double feature and the Harmony Gold DB Movies 1&3 double feature (and presumably also the French DBZ Movies 12-13 double feature originally), or were they two standalone movies packed on the same package (like Funimation's double feature sets and AFAIK the Fillipino English DBZ Movies 10-11 double feature)?

On a different note, you're saying Gota Magica and Alamo 1-60 have the same level of censorship? Ditto DPN 61-153 and Alamo 61-153?
From what I gathered, Gota Magica used the Producciones Salgado dub as late as ep 12 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aB_XMHRH9c), but Zero y El Dragon Magico/Video Doblajes no later than ep 27 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aIMlP7bvTA)
What differences are there between the two dubs, especially once Gota Magica used the Zero material? Oh, it's missing? I thought surely more episodes were preserved than just "a few". Here's another youtube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjKAUf-PzA)

Also, I noticed that you didn't mention the BKS dubs of the DB movie trilogy that inexplicably used We Gotta Power (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhFR7z9uUE) and We Were Angels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s02_8wWu9MU) for their OP/ED... or the obscure unreleased CBS dub of DB which covered ep 25-28 which apparently exists.

Films 9 and 12 formed a single film. First, there was the battle against Bojack and soon after we had a 7-year time-skip, then the battle against Janemba began.

Excuse me for forgetting BKS 'VHS films, when it comes to the Brazilian dub of Dragon Ball (1986) some things are left out. As I said, I do not remember details of Gábia dub for film 3, I am more used to the redial done by the Álamo studio.