Which dub is more faithful to the original audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Re: Which dub is more faithful to the original audio?

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:58 am

I don't know how the opening and closing done by BKS seems to you (it's nice?), because for us Brazilians it is shameful enough to make us furious.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:15 am

Who is Icarus?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 am

Icarus is the Funimation dub name for what you're probably familiar with as Haiya Dragon, who appeared in DBZ Movies 3-5 as well as the Garlic Jr saga.

Also, my impressions of the BKS opening and ending themes of the DB trilogy dub? Yeah, trying to shoehorn the lyrics of Makafushigi Adventure into We Gotta Power... not to mention saying Dragon Ball 15 times in a row for We Were Angels... yeah, that doesn't work at all xD. I can definitely see how it would frustrate you. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar level of frustration when the "Big Green" dub aired on Toonami UK, as it was radically different from what came before (and in many ways worse)... even the Blue Water dubs that kept the original score.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 am Icarus is the Funimation dub name for what you're probably familiar with as Haiya Dragon, who appeared in DBZ Movies 3-5 as well as the Garlic Jr saga.
May also be known as Hire Dragon or Higher Dragon.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am
Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 am Icarus is the Funimation dub name for what you're probably familiar with as Haiya Dragon, who appeared in DBZ Movies 3-5 as well as the Garlic Jr saga.
May also be known as Hire Dragon .
Aw, I hope he got the job.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Now I understand everything. Here we call the Grande Dragão (Great Dragon in English)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:08 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am
May also be known as Hire Dragon .
Aw, I hope he got the job.
lol. Well, that is the idea.

He doesn't have an entry in Herms' name pun guide, but I'm given to understand we don't actually know the intent behind the pun for certain, but we have some strong possibilities; the idea might be "Hire Dragon", as in he gives you the service of flying you where you need to go, it might be "Higher Dragon", as in he's from the heavens, or it might just be "Haiya Dragon" like the sound "HAIYA!"
I'm not sure we really know for sure?

VegettoEX said this on the subject:
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:58 pm The "joke" with Haiya/Higher Dragon is that he's like a ride for hire. An animal taxi. You'll sometimes see "Hire Dragon" out there because of this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:54 pmHe doesn't have an entry in Herms' name pun guide, but I'm given to understand we don't actually know the intent behind the pun for certain, but we have some strong possibilities; the idea might be "Hire Dragon", as in he gives you the service of flying you where you need to go, it might be "Higher Dragon", as in he's from the heavens, or it might just be "Haiya Dragon" like the sound "HAIYA!"
I'm not sure we really know for sure?

VegettoEX said this on the subject:
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:58 pm The "joke" with Haiya/Higher Dragon is that he's like a ride for hire. An animal taxi. You'll sometimes see "Hire Dragon" out there because of this.
I believe MistareFusion/Gaffer Tape pointed out both here on the forum and in DBD that his name is probably Hire Dragon as a reference to Dr. Slump's Taxi Dragon.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Apparently in Japan haiyaa is the term for chauffeured car services. Toei probably decided to replace "taxi" with haiyaa/"hire" for the second character.