What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release?

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm

This is just a random question I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on. Since the Dragon Ball community's opinions can be pretty diverse at times. To clarify, I'm talking about what you want out of a home release, not what you're favorite is.

Would you rather it be 4:3 or 16:9? On a DVD, Blu-Ray, or 4k Blu-Ray? Are the colors corrected or unchanged? Does it use DNR? Does it have the FUNimation dub with the american soundtrack? Which dubs do you want on it if any? Does it have the original broadcast audio? Get your dumb opinions out there. Try to be as specific as possible when saying what you want. Also, Clarify which series you're talking about.

If you're curious what my ideal release is click the show button.
Also, if you could somehow show what you want (like linking a YouTube video or image you made showing color correction you did) that would be great too.
Last edited by Woodlandbuckle on Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release be?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Personally i'd love a DVD/Blu-Ray box set of the series that gave you the choice between the Ocean dub and Ultimate Uncut redub for the first two seasons and then the original uncut Funimation in-house dub from the singles with original recaps and NEPs from the broadcasts intact(including all of the ones with Dale Kelly)and the original in-house soundtrack and dialogue(not that re-arranged and re-recorded nonsense on the Orange Bricks) and it has same level of visual quality and care that the level sets got(no more crappy DNR or widescreen cropping, just good old regular 4:3), and for the original Japanese broadcast audio to be included for the very first time.

I think there should also be a proper North American release of the Dragon Box set of all the DBZ movies(still not quite sure why Funimation never did their own version of that one stateside)
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:10 pm

For the original anime trilogy (Kai, Super and movie Blu-Rays are perfectly fine) it would go like this:

- 4:3
- UHD Blu-ray with everything in 1080p
- TOEI's original film masters restored
- Broadcast audio for Japanese track
- Funi dubs with Kikuchi/Tokunaga and American BGM options + Blue Water as extra audio track for GT
- Harmony Gold episodes 1-5, BLT episodes 1-13, Blue Water OG DB episodes 1-153, Saban Z episodes 1-53, Funi original broadcast Z episodes 54-107 and Westwood Z episodes 108-276 as extras
- recaps and NEPs for everything
- some feature length documentaries as extras
- Nice cover art in standard Blu-Ray cases with slipcovers and inserts
- Released by Manga UK as a love letter to all of us

If I got a set like that I could die happy :mrgreen:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:14 pm

In terms of home releases, i would certainly like a release of the original Dragon Ball series that has all 153 episodes in a Dragon Box type format with all of the next episode previews, both openings and all four closings which hasn't been the case here for DB's previous releases. I can take or leave the Japanese credits though that would all come down to what source is used i.e good film prints, and i'd take that either on DVD or Blu-ray/4K. Then it would finally be consistent with my Z Dragon Boxes and GT singles which have all of the aforementioned.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm

There are two possible ones.

One is...
- 4:3
- 1080p (optional)
- Wide release
- Reasonable pricing
- Japanese broadcast audio
- All three original shows
- No DNR at all
- Similar look to the Amazon masters of the Toei HD movies
- Include all three TV specials
- Include the original version of Funi's dub, with a standard-def bonus feature of the original cut of "episode 54"
- Include both Japanese and dub title cards (easily done)

The other is...
- The Dragon Ball, Z, and GT Westwood dubs
- The original, "uncut" masters (as in, not the edited-down versions of some episodes)
- On DVD, as a wide release in the UK
- Do an Ocean Kai DVD after the original three shows
- Include the Pioneer Z movie dubs as a bonus feature on the Z DVDs.
- Include the original 3-episode TV version of Tree Of Might in Z "Season 2", as well as the uncut Pioneer version of the movie
- Use the YTV edit of DBZ episodes 54-107
- Include a documentary feature or something, with a bunch of the actors and such who were involved (alternately, have them do a panel in aid of it, and record that as a bonus feature for the DVD)

If these two releases happened, I would see no path to improvement on any front for any possible Dragon Ball releases. This would be perfection, and I would proudly display it on the shelf, and constantly shill for it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:25 pm

NOT 16:9. 4k scan since its 16mm film. use the dang brodcast audio and try to improve whats missing. Every officially licensed dub just so I can see it all for my own sick curiosity.and uhhh yeah thats it. basically just dont fuck it up and also let us use any language we want
Last edited by 10gigtriforce on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:37 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:25 pm 16:9
Why 16:9?

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:37 pm
I meant to put not 16:9, my bad.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:16 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:37 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:37 pm
I meant to put not 16:9, my bad.
Ah. lol. No worries.
The correct ratio would be 4:3. :)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 pm

A respectful [ultra?] high-definition remaster that doesn't crop or destroy lines. Grain is retained and the best possible audio source is retained. Alternate tracks include music-only and sound-effects-only tracks. The series is released on forty-nine (49) discs (assuming six episodes per disc) in a rigid box. Subtitles would be done by Steve/Daimao without FUNimation names used.

Tracks would play as followed:

1. Opening Credits.
2. Recap.
3. A-Part.
4. B-Part.
5. Next Episode Preview (Original broadcast version that includes promotions for the upcoming film).
6. Next Episode Preview (Re-Broadcast version, the ones we have on the Dragon Boxes).
7. Ending Credits.
8. English Opening/Ending Credits (A full set of title card credits based on the Japanese text of the Opening and Ending).

Special features would include full interviews with the surviving cast (Nozawa, et al) and crew (Nishio Daisuke, main animators and episode directors).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:39 pm

Okay, I'll take a crack at this, would be a good way to get back in the posting groove, since I seem to keep taking random posting breaks for a few weeks or months. Some things on here might not be possible or still exist, but "ideal" doesn't have to be realistic.

THE PERFECT DRAGONBALL HOME RELEASE

Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball GT TV Series (1986-1996)
—All 508 Episodes, 5 TV Specials
—Both Safety PSAs, the 1993 and 1994 versions of the PTETS special, and Atsumare Goku World
—Everything in 4:3, 1080p HD (Not 4K, not enough detail on 16mm film)
—Remastered in a perfect blend between the FUNimation Level Blu-rays from 2011, and Toei's Movie remasters in their pre-release state, as seen on Netflix Japan.
—NO DVNR
—Available on Blu-ray
—All Opening and Ending Variations, with Creditless versions available as bonuses
—Next Episode Previews (does this even need to be stated?)
—Original Master Audio

Dragonball and Dragonball Z Movies
—All 17 Movies
—Everything in 4:3 or 1:85:1, remastered in 4K. (Not 1080p since there is still detail able to be taken from 35mm film in 4K UHD)
—Same remaster as TV Show
—No DVNR
—On Blu-ray and 4K UltraHD Blu-ray
—Credited OP/ED, Creditless as bonus
—Trailers included
—Original Master Audio

Notes:

This would be all be done and remastered in Japan, and every home release would contain the Japanese version with Subtitles for that region's language, and the original dub that aired for that region in their language, provided there were no scenes removed to have it not be "Uncut" and able to sync up with the original footage.
Released in full box sets, and in 5-Part sets for DB, 9 for DBZ, 2 for GT, and 3 for "Za Movie.s"
Also available to stream on FUNimationNow, Hulu, and Crunchyroll/HBO Max.

All the stuff in the HD Era of Dragonball Animations, (2008-present) would be released as-is. Super would have an option for the original TV Broadcasts before the animation touch-ups, for posteriority. Kai would have an option for the 4:3 or 16:9 version.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:07 am

Literally the same way Sunrise remasters any of their old series, whether it be a Gundam property (they’ve successfully done this for many, like all the U.C.) or something else.
Goes without saying that this is what Toei should have done to begin with, but they’re so inept that they can’t do even something that doesn’t take much time for anime companies that value their works to do.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

Dragon Ball :
4:3
Japanese sub
Include the different OP and ED’s.
Include the next episode previews
English dub with revised audio and dialog (replace Nadolny and Vollmer with Clinkenbeard and Rial put the perversion back in, refer to Kami as God, fix as many errors as possible)

Dragon Ball Z:
Dragon Boxes essentially with a new dub that uses Simmons translations as a base
Japanese sub included as well

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm

I'm honestly satisfied with the Dragonboxes and the new 30th anniversary sets. I do wish that the 30th sets had NEP buuuut. hahaha
I personally believe that I have the sets I always wanted now. I don't believe we'll ever see another or better release of the Dragonboxes in our lifetimes. and I'm happy to have the 30th sets because I'm okay with the colors and it not being cropped.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:07 am Literally the same way Sunrise remasters any of their old series, whether it be a Gundam property (they’ve successfully done this for many, like all the U.C.) or something else.
Goes without saying that this is what Toei should have done to begin with, but they’re so inept that they can’t do even something that doesn’t take much time for anime companies that value their works to do.
I actually own both the original DVD Season releases of Mobile fighter G gundam and the New Bluray sets and those Bluray sets look absolutely incredible.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm I actually own both the original DVD Season releases of Mobile fighter G gundam and the New Bluray sets and those Bluray sets look absolutely incredible.
My point exactly. Plenty more where that came from too.
They work on numerous different series and are capable of successfully remastering just about every single one of them if given the incentive, meanwhile Toei can't even do that for a handful of long-running series. Wonder what that says about them especially since it's the more popular (and likely higher earning) studio.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:21 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm I actually own both the original DVD Season releases of Mobile fighter G gundam and the New Bluray sets and those Bluray sets look absolutely incredible.
My point exactly. Plenty more where that came from too.
They work on numerous different series and are capable of successfully remastering just about every single one of them if given the incentive, meanwhile Toei can't even do that for a handful of long-running series. Wonder what that says about them especially since it's the more popular (and likely higher earning) studio.
I definitely agree with you. every time I was going through the blurays of G Gundam I kept asking, ''Why can't Dragonball look like this?'' Why is it one of the greatest(in my opinion) Anime's of all time and what I would consider to be my generations gateway drug of Anime, can't get a proper release without there being some sort of issues? Why can't we just have a series that says ''Heyyy you like Dragonball? well buy this set! It's not cropped. it's in 4x3, it has next episode previews. it has last episode previews, the colors aren't brightened up like crazy, you like the Dub? well...comeee onnn in! we have it too!'' haha
I just don't understand why each release has to have ''Well...you get this buuuut you gotta sacrifice that'' every. freaking. time. that's why I said that I'm satisfied with the Dragonboxes and the new 30th set. I'm tired of playing Tag with this franchise.

Edit - Just to add this for you. Could you imagine how Trigun could look with Sunrise behind the wheel? ugh..it'd be incredible.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm

A release of the entire anime from Dragon Ball to GT.

4:3 Aspect Ratio (and done right)

Toei's film be the source of remastering, color corrected, most of the grain intact, etc.

Japanese broadcast audio

Choice between the original uncut 1999-2003 funimation dub audio from the dvd singles (and with better sound quality not in ac3) and the revised 2007 dub

Definitely an HD blu ray release, it's 2020 and it's a sad day when the best looking home release is from 2003 for a franchise this big

That's really it, maybe throw in NEPs and stuff but that's more of a bonus to me.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:36 pm

I just remembered something else I want for a home release that I doubt anyone else will want, and I'll be sure to add this to the original post too. But I'll sometimes rip the Dragon Ball DVDs and Blu-Rays to mess around with the episodes (Don't worry I don't upload them illegally) and something that always bothers me is how most of the DVDs will just mix all of the episodes onto that disc onto one video file instead of separate ones. It takes a lot of space in my PC, a lot of time to rip, and even longer to convert to an MP4. It's weird because all of the Blu-Rays have the episodes as their own video files so why not just do the same for DVDs. And don't tell me it's something to do with the DVDs because I don't think it is. I own Dragon Boxes 3 and 5, 3 actually has each episode as it's own video file. But for whatever reason 5 doesn't do this and it's really confusing.

There's also the issue of the Z DVDs/Blu-Rays audio mixing being strange. In Kai, Super, GT, and I think DB, the music doesn't play in the center channel at all (I'm talking about the Dub's surround sound). However in the Blu-Ray Season Sets and Orange Bricks it does play in the center channel. This is especially weird because the Dragon Boxes don't do this. In 3 the mixing is identical to the mixing in Kai, Super, and GT. But in 5 the SFXs and music play in the left and right channels while the voices are the only thing in the center channel. The only thing that's as strange as Dragon Ball's inconsistent video treatment over the years is its inconsistent audio treatment.

Sorry for this post being so long. I could probably write a college essay about this stuff. Also, it's nice to see other people's varied opinions.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 pm I definitely agree with you. every time I was going through the blurays of G Gundam I kept asking, ''Why can't Dragonball look like this?'' Why is it one of the greatest(in my opinion) Anime's of all time and what I would consider to be my generations gateway drug of Anime, can't get a proper release without there being some sort of issues? Why can't we just have a series that says ''Heyyy you like Dragonball? well buy this set! It's not cropped. it's in 4x3, it has next episode previews. it has last episode previews, the colors aren't brightened up like crazy, you like the Dub? well...comeee onnn in! we have it too!'' haha
I just don't understand why each release has to have ''Well...you get this buuuut you gotta sacrifice that'' every. freaking. time. that's why I said that I'm satisfied with the Dragonboxes and the new 30th set. I'm tired of playing Tag with this franchise.
Idk why, and it’s completely disrespectful to the series as well as the fans. Also a great shame considering how popular and iconic the whole series is. Like, how could they not have enough money and resources to do this for DB?
Edit - Just to add this for you. Could you imagine how Trigun could look with Sunrise behind the wheel? ugh..it'd be incredible.
Considering their work on Cowboy Bebop and similar series, they’d knock it out of the park.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Funimation could do very well and with zero effort by rerunning the Z Dragon Boxes and releasing the Z DBox masters they have been sitting on. Plop the broadcast audio on there and that’s all you need.

They actually have GT Dragon Box footage: it’s the only footage they’ve ever had. No reason they can’t do a good release of that, with the stereo audio. DB OG is a mess unfortunately.

On the other side of things, though I’ve never seen the Z dubs, I think dub episodes 54-276, as originally recorded, deserve an updated release, since the old singles are mediocre and out of print. Something like the “Rock the Dragon” set. Include the Westwood dub as the second audio track, when that exists, along with the Toonami edited dialogue alternate takes.