What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What would be your ideal Dragon Ball home release?

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Basically just the Level Sets, from the start of Dragon Ball to the End of Z. Oh, and a version of Broly without the green tint, while we're at it.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:21 pm

TheSeductiveTomato wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 pm Basically just the Level Sets, from the start of Dragon Ball to the End of Z. Oh, and a version of Broly without the green tint, while we're at it.
Speaking of green tint, it would be nice to have a version of Kai Boo without that.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:57 pm

DB, DBZ and GT Dragon Boxes on Blu-ray with broadcast audio! Will never happen tough :(
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:57 pm Dragon Boxes on Blu-ray
Ah, so an SD Blu-ray that has a higher bitrate than the DVDs but still can fit dozens of episodes?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:57 pm Dragon Boxes on Blu-ray
Ah, so an SD Blu-ray that has a higher bitrate than the DVDs but still can fit dozens of episodes?
Nope, would have to be remastered somehow... I don't want any more crappy and half assed releases.

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:21 pm
TheSeductiveTomato wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:47 pm Basically just the Level Sets, from the start of Dragon Ball to the End of Z. Oh, and a version of Broly without the green tint, while we're at it.
Speaking of green tint, it would be nice to have a version of Kai Boo without that.
And in the proper aspect ratio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:28 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm Ah, so an SD Blu-ray that has a higher bitrate than the DVDs but still can fit dozens of episodes?
Nope, would have to be remastered somehow... I don't want any more crappy and half assed releases.
You can't "Remaster" the Dragon Boxes. You can make the colouring better, or repackage them into Blu-rays that contain them at higher bitrates (giving a generally better visual quality) with more episodes per disc, but the only way to "Remaster" the show is to re-scan the film, or begin a cleanup process from scratch from raw scans again.
Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm Ah, so an SD Blu-ray that has a higher bitrate than the DVDs but still can fit dozens of episodes?
This would probably be the best release that Funi may actually put out one day.
TheSeductiveTomato wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Honestly, even if they didn't fix the green tint, if Kai TFC was available in 4:3, I'd probably actually buy it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:13 am

JustAlex1997 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 pm
Why would Toei be responsible for Funimation's actions?
They should have remastered it themselves, not outsourced it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 am

I just want the first 3 movies in HD with ocean audio..even if it's an extra.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:28 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 pm
You can't "Remaster" the Dragon Boxes. You can make the colouring better, or repackage them into Blu-rays that contain them at higher bitrates (giving a generally better visual quality) with more episodes per disc, but the only way to "Remaster" the show is to re-scan the film, or begin a cleanup process from scratch from raw scans again.
This would probably be the best release that Funi may actually put out one day.
TheSeductiveTomato wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Honestly, even if they didn't fix the green tint, if Kai TFC was available in 4:3, I'd probably actually buy it.
Yeah, that is what I want. By DBoxes I meant mainly the closest to puriat presentation we have got yet in history of releases.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm Yeah, that is what I want. By DBoxes I meant mainly the closest to puriat presentation we have got yet in history of releases.
Fair.

Though the Dragon Boxes are far from perfect or pure. They're just better than all the other shit we've got so far.

The DBoxes are blurry, colour is shit, dark areas are smudged and distorted, there's inconsistent brightness/contrast levels that randomly crush some episodes at either end of the spectrum, and just in general, they're not very good.

Honestly, a new DVD release based off the tapes the DVD singles were authored from, but authored properly, with really good encoding, and no DNR would probably yield a better release.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm

The big things the Dragon Boxes have going for them are the Japanese title cards, the credits and the next episode previews. The picture quality for them is nothing to write home about. They’re better than the Orange Bricks, but that’s not saying much. I suppose the Levels would be my ideal release, if they had a higher episode count per set.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm Yeah, that is what I want. By DBoxes I meant mainly the closest to puriat presentation we have got yet in history of releases.
Fair.

Though the Dragon Boxes are far from perfect or pure. They're just better than all the other shit we've got so far.

The DBoxes are blurry, colour is shit, dark areas are smudged and distorted, there's inconsistent brightness/contrast levels that randomly crush some episodes at either end of the spectrum, and just in general, they're not very good.

Honestly, a new DVD release based off the tapes the DVD singles were authored from, but authored properly, with really good encoding, and no DNR would probably yield a better release.
They are no doubt flawed in those areas and not perfect, but even then i am still glad to have them in the abscence of a better DVD/Blu-ray release from FUNi at this point. Again as mentioned before i wish that they had just taken and put their single masters (with adjusting for better quality and encoding ) on the Orange Bricks back in 2007 rather than the smeared to hell, cropped versions that were or even still the raw film masters with just minor cleanup and slight zooming to cut out the frame edges.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 pm

This is wishful-thinking, but still would be fun if FUNi or Toei did this:

Take the Dragon Box masters for DB/DBZ, properly color-correct them, add the Japanese broadcast audio (we know enough people have it), add the FUNimation dub as an extra audio track, slap it onto some SD Blu-Rays ala Discotek or Sentai Filmworks, and VOILA, I'm set.

I'd love the Ocean/Blue Water dubs as alternate tracks, but I imagine it'd be a licensing nightmare, plus it'd probably be costly to sync them to the uncut video. :think:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm The big things the Dragon Boxes have going for them are the Japanese title cards, the credits and the next episode previews. The picture quality for them is nothing to write home about. They’re better than the Orange Bricks, but that’s not saying much. I suppose the Levels would be my ideal release, if they had a higher episode count per set.
yeah honestly, the NEP's where by far the biggest reason i wanted the dragon boxes when i was first getting into the series, i don't even think i knew the difference between aspect ratios ? if my old forum posts are anything to go off of, lmao. obviously now their still the only way i'll watch the show just because every other (completed) release are horrible, but yeah i'm not gonna lie i was kinda bummed out when i found out that the dragon boxes weren't actually all that great lol, just because i looked at them as THE WAY THE SHOW WAS MEANT TO BE WATCHED for so long.

anyway, i don't really have much knowledge when it comes to upscaling things and what that entails so i'll just say i want the show in 4:3 and with the broadcast audio, i would be mlperfectly content with that as long as there's no insanely bad DNR or anything.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:03 am

• 4:3
  • Both Kikuchi and Falconer
  • NEPs included in the correct order, subbed AND dubbed
  • 1080p is all I need although 4k would be "ideal" I guess
  • Digital Downloads included, maybe linked to an account for unlimited downloads in case I lose the first digital copy somehow
  • Broadcast audio is included
  • Colors as close to the cells/original broadcast as possible
  • Remove extra grain until hitting the wall where removing more grain would start removing detail
  • Standard cleaning hair, tape marks etc. Avoid zooming in when possible unless the frame damage is ridiculous
  • Dragon Box-esque episode guide
  • Maybe an artbook idk

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:15 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 pm
Fair.

Exactly, the best release when compared to others :)

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am

Basically have all the content that the Dragon Boxes had. Next Episode previews and original title cards. Preferably rearrange the order in which the credits and Next Episode previews play, so that it is closer to the original broadcast.

Have the Original Broadcast Audio. This is a must. Having the first legal access to this audio is important.

Use the original film prints that don't suffer from any black crush but color correct the footage to be closer to the Level Sets with some minor adjustments as those seem far more accurate than the Dragon Boxes. No DNR or eye bleeding oversaturated colors of course and 4:3 AR. Anything else would make the set essentially irrelevant. The movies can and IMO should be in 16:9 but 4:3 is acceptable.

Remaster it in 4K and be done with it. Some episode's were shot in 32mm and those would benefit from 4K. Once this is done there would be no reason to ever rescan the film again.

Oh and have it be affordable easily accessible and not a limited run. People should have access to the best version of DB. The only people a limited run benefits are scalpers and i do not wish to support a product that encourages that scummy practice. DB should be accessible in the right configuration for everyone without paying a ridiculous amount.

Just as a bonus don't include the existing Funi English dub. Instead just redo a full English dub from scratch. New actors and a much more faithful script. This isn't important to me since i will watch the show in JP anyway but for people new to the series who for some reason must see the show in English should get a accurate version. Ideally the accuracy should be above Kai.

This is basically ideal.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 am

theoriginalbilis wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 pm I'd love the Ocean/Blue Water dubs as alternate tracks, but I imagine it'd be a licensing nightmare, plus it'd probably be costly to sync them to the uncut video. :think:
Licensing would not be an issue, but it would be literally impossible to sync up the Ocean/Blue Water dubs of DB or Z to uncut video without getting the actors to record new dialogue, which would sound rather jarring. GT would mostly work, though a few episodes would have to have some missing lines, since they cut out some shots of Goku's junk, and one or two shots from the beginning of the flashback episode.