First time home media release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

First time home media release?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm

I was justing thinking about how the level sets were the first the series was released on Bluray in the world.

What was the first VHS and DVD release of the series, globally?

Was is the pioneer DVDs?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: First time home media release?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:40 pm

I’d imagine other counties that got the show first had hone video releases before Pioneer released the 96 Funi dub on home video.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:40 pm I’d imagine other counties that got the show first had hone video releases before Pioneer released the 96 Funi dub on home video.
Id think so too, I wanna say the Mexican DVDs came out before, but DVD was pretty new so it's hard to say. As for VHS I don't think I ever come across any rips of other countries VHS' except the Philippines cooler movies (and those arent the show)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Good chance that the earliest home media releases came from France or one of the dubs of Spain, due to their beginning several years before the English language BLT dub of 94/95.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:08 pm

the pioneer vhs came before the dvd. but kidmark had the funi/blt vhs tapes(with dolby stereo for some reason) in 95. If theres any truth to the rumors of harmony gold vhs releases those would precede those.

when did other countries start dubbing?

the laserdisc release of dbz movie 1 came out 11/25/1991 if that counts.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:12 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm Good chance that the earliest home media releases came from France or one of the dubs of Spain, due to their beginning several years before the English language BLT dub of 94/95.
And it could be from Hong Kong or South Korea for the same reason. It's extremely hard to track down detailed information about VHS releases from the pre-Internet era especially when it comes to those in Asian countries except for Japan.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:51 pm

I mean, if we're counting people selling VHS recordings it was probably that. But I don't doubt that was even allowed, let alone in Japan. All I know is that when Pioneer and FUNimation were releasing their DVDs, some fans in Japan imported them because Toei didn't release their own home release yet.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:51 pm I mean, if we're counting people selling VHS recordings it was probably that. But I don't doubt that was even allowed, let alone in Japan. All I know is that when Pioneer and FUNimation were releasing their DVDs, some fans in Japan imported them because Toei didn't release their own home release yet.
And its not like toei couldnt have done home releases at the time. They gave sailormoon laserdisc releases, the pcm soundtrack is why the sailor moon master audio still exists they had to digitize it for use here, and it was on in a similar time frame. So they could have been doing releases of at least Z and gt from the get go. probably of db too.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:40 pm I’d imagine other counties that got the show first had hone video releases before Pioneer released the 96 Funi dub on home video.
I think Mexico's VHS release of the Harmony Gold dub was the first one.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:37 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm And its not like toei couldnt have done home releases at the time. They gave sailormoon laserdisc releases, the pcm soundtrack is why the sailor moon master audio still exists they had to digitize it for use here, and it was on in a similar time frame. So they could have been doing releases of at least Z and gt from the get go. probably of db too.
Chalk that up to the different genre and the year it started. Sailor Moon was as much Toei’s brainchild as the mangaka’s and they pushed SM merchandise hard from the start in 1992. Dragon Ball started in the 80s, had its shots called by Toriyama (and editors) alone, and its arcs were not neatly divided into yearlong series, but could go on for nearly 100 episodes. It was not fit for home release at the time.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Zestanor wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:37 pm
10gigtriforce wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm And its not like toei couldnt have done home releases at the time. They gave sailormoon laserdisc releases, the pcm soundtrack is why the sailor moon master audio still exists they had to digitize it for use here, and it was on in a similar time frame. So they could have been doing releases of at least Z and gt from the get go. probably of db too.
Chalk that up to the different genre and the year it started. Sailor Moon was as much Toei’s brainchild as the mangaka’s and they pushed SM merchandise hard from the start in 1992. Dragon Ball started in the 80s, had its shots called by Toriyama (and editors) alone, and its arcs were not neatly divided into yearlong series, but could go on for nearly 100 episodes. It was not fit for home release at the time.
Thats true it was different, but I'm just saying they had the capacity. coulda done laserdisc singles, ~2 hours of episodes per disc, sell one by one as they come out.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am

kei17 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:12 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 pm Good chance that the earliest home media releases came from France or one of the dubs of Spain, due to their beginning several years before the English language BLT dub of 94/95.
And it could be from Hong Kong or South Korea for the same reason. It's extremely hard to track down detailed information about VHS releases from the pre-Internet era especially when it comes to those in Asian countries except for Japan.
Yes, the Toei Studio catalog I have from 1989 does show Dragonball winning a La Truffe D'Or on TF1 in 1988. However, the tapes they show do not include Dragonball. They do show Starzinger 2, Sandybell 2, Galaxy Express 999, Grand Prix, Goldorak, Candy Candy, Albator, Spaceketeers, Grandizer, Starvengers, Gaiking and Danguard Ace. I should scan this unless it's been done elsewhere...

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:46 pm

Dragon ball First home video release in france was in 1988 (the airing year in france)
it was thoses vhs (on left as i never got them) but they were released at the same time as the saint seiya vhs i have here

https://imgur.com/a/nlmFd9Y