What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 pm

IMO, while it is cool that he is a nice guy now, it really works together with Lemo, and Cheelai, I really don't want him to get that close to Goku's group.

I definitely want to see what will happen with those three, and non fighting scenes are welcomed, but when it comes to Broly being a fighter, I'd like him to be around only to face most difficult opponents.
In a way, he should be an option similar to Fusion, or if you people are familiar with Phoenix Ikki from Saint Seiya, who is rather distanced from the rest of the cast, and only appears to face top level enemies.

I don't really expect from Broly to become a third main Saiyan, but I also don't wish for him to end up being another Piccolo, or Gohan.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 pm

I don't know exactly. I know what I expect to see, but what I would want is hard to pin point. Maybe seeing him travel across the multiverse soul searching would be cool. I absolutely never want him to get SSJ4

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am

He should kill Goku and assume his role in the story.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am
He should kill Goku and assume his role in the story.
That went well..

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:28 am

I don't want him to be overused, as someone that strong fighting should be an event, not a regular everyday thing. I think there's a chance he might become a permanent Z fighter member, but hopefully not.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 am

A lot of people want Broly's character arc to be about controlling his berserker rage. I don't care about that in any instance OTHER than specifically addressing the trauma and abuse Broly was subject to and legitimately working the guy through internal issues. Simply having him transform over and over and get a little bit better each time would be completely lazy (and thus, what I expect more than anything, unfortunately). If anything, they should get metaphysical, have his internal thoughts and triggers visualized, a "battle in the center of the mind" kind of thing. Goku could actually act as a comforting weight, a grounding point in that scenario (and also you could have him fight Broly in the "mindscape" without having to worry about power scaling since it's not a physical fight), since his relationship with violence is so much more positive (for him, at least) than Broly's.

After that (or instead of that), though, you'd have to give him something to do, or some reason to do things, beyond fighting. I think it would be a huge change for this series for any character to have to actually question their direction in life when it doesn't involve combat the way it does for Goku and co.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17950
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 am

Nothing. I find nothing remotely interesting about his personality and it's already such a huge stretch that someone in isolation and no real training is able to compete with seasoned fighters with god Ki all because he throws a hissy fit.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2604
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:58 am

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 am
Nothing. I find nothing remotely interesting about his personality and it's already such a huge stretch that someone in isolation and no real training is able to compete with seasoned fighters with god Ki all because he throws a hissy fit.

He worked fine as a one-off movie antagonist but yeah he’s not interesting enough to bring back..

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Mad Swami wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 am
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am
He should kill Goku and assume his role in the story.
That went well..
Ok, maybe I'm going through an anti-Goku phase after rewatching (most) of ToP but I can't be the only one who'd appreciate a lead with a more complicated relationship with fighting.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17950
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm

No, because I've seen plenty of stories about people with complicated relationships with fighting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13603
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Marry him and bare his children.

Oh, you mean for a new storyline? I want to see him in non-combat settings, so a sort of adventure arc might be nice. Maybe poachers come to Vampa, find Baa, and take him away? Then Broli, Cheelai and Lemo must travel the stars looking for him?
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Mad Swami wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 am
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am
He should kill Goku and assume his role in the story.
That went well..
Ok, maybe I'm going through an anti-Goku phase after rewatching (most) of ToP but I can't be the only one who'd appreciate a lead with a more complicated relationship with fighting.
Well I would be fine with others gaining the spotlight, or even Goku becoming a side character. However for him to just die to Broly would be..... strange

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm
No, because I've seen plenty of stories about people with complicated relationships with fighting.
You've seen so many of them because they're actual stories. Even films/shows about all time greats like Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson treat their dominant runs as little more than montages. Without something to add drama, fighting gets really boring for most people.
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm
Marry him and bare his children.
Ma'am. Look at the size of him. You'd need to be Elasti-Girl to accomodate all that.
I want to see him in non-combat settings, so a sort of adventure arc might be nice. Maybe poachers come to Vampa, find Baa, and take him away? Then Broli, Cheelai and Lemo must travel the stars looking for him?
That would be nice. Almost like a deliberate throwback to Goku's earliest adventures with Bulma and Oolong.
Mad Swami wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 pm
I would be fine with others gaining the spotlight, or even Goku becoming a side character. However for him to just die to Broly would be..... strange
You're right. My comment was a little over the top.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17950
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm
You've seen so many of them because they're actual stories. Even films/shows about all time greats like Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson treat their dominant runs as little more than montages. Without something to add drama, fighting gets really boring for most people.
I was thinking more fictional stories like Wolverine, but liking combat without hesitation doesn't make it not a story. If you have plenty of the types of stories where the protagonist has a more ambivalent relationship with violence, why do you want to make this one just like those? And sure fighting an get boring without drama, though I think it's ridiculous to assume the drama has to be internal, but it hasn't bored the audience for DB which is HUGE, rendering your point moo.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:19 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm
ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm
No, because I've seen plenty of stories about people with complicated relationships with fighting.
You've seen so many of them because they're actual stories. Even films/shows about all time greats like Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson treat their dominant runs as little more than montages. Without something to add drama, fighting gets really boring for most people.
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm
Marry him and bare his children.
Ma'am. Look at the size of him. You'd need to be Elasti-Girl to accomodate all that.
I want to see him in non-combat settings, so a sort of adventure arc might be nice. Maybe poachers come to Vampa, find Baa, and take him away? Then Broli, Cheelai and Lemo must travel the stars looking for him?
That would be nice. Almost like a deliberate throwback to Goku's earliest adventures with Bulma and Oolong.
Mad Swami wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 pm
I would be fine with others gaining the spotlight, or even Goku becoming a side character. However for him to just die to Broly would be..... strange
You're right. My comment was a little over the top.
:lol:

User avatar
Thanos
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1468
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Thanos » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Nothing at all. The original version of the character was already overexposed a decade ago, let's not do the same with the new and improved version.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2773
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 pm

The Broly movie works fine as a solo story, so I don’t think there’s much of a need to expand on it. I wouldn’t be opposed to giving Broly some brief appearances and acknowledgements down the line, but I don’t think he has to be at the forefront of another story. He’s served his purpose.

User avatar
funrush
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: United States

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by funrush » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Tricky thing with Broly is you don't want to assimilate him into the main cast too much or else EoZ comes into question, because why isn't he at the tournament? So whatever they do with him next, they should give him some sort of off-world obligation. Helping out a planet or something, some reason that he wouldn't be in EoZ and the characters wouldn't need to talk about him being gone during EoZ.

However, I definitely want to see more of him. He's a pretty interesting character for DB standards and I wanna see him become the 3rd Saiyan protagonist alongside Goku and Vegeta, since Gohan is effectively retired and Broly has Gohan's old "uncontrollable rage powerboost" gimmick on steroids. Of course, I'd love to see a new protagonist that's a different alien or even some type of souped up human, but "alternate, way stronger version of Gohan" ain't bad.

First of all, an arc or film where he meets Goku again is pretty much obligated, they set it up at the end of his film. Freeza wants another shot at winning him over, and maybe we'll get some epic confrontation. Imagine, what if Freeza goes off and trains for a year and gets some ridiculous new form that makes him GoD level and way beyond even Goku and Vegeta? And a Gogeta/Broly teamup is the only way they can beat him or something? Idk, there's various things you can do. Maybe throw Cooler in the mix, cause fuck it why not. Idk.

I wanna see Broly develop more as a person too. Let's go all the way with that Tarzan thing and show him try to get accustomed to living in society. Maybe learning how to train with someone actually on his level. Learning to control his rage more, etc. There's some arcs there.
Last edited by funrush on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5426
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Hopefully stays gone

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17950
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:43 pm

The end of Super would point to Gohan not being retired. It showed the opposite. Gohan has learned his lesson and looks to be pursuing a more balanced life - one where he keeps his skills sharp but also trains his mind.

As for Broly's supposed arc of learning to control his rage - we saw that already in the tournament of power with Kale.

And Freeza did not train and become stronger than Goku and Vegeta.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply