What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
funrush
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: United States

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by funrush » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:15 pm

No, I'm saying what if Freeza does that in the future, like if that "Freeza comes back" story arc happens like a year after the Broly film or something.

I do agree with your point about Kale.

Gohan's agreed to balance but he's still a familyman who has to spend a significant portion of his time working a job and raising a kid. He's not gonna ever be an A-lister again vs. Saiyans that spend literally all of their time training, bar some Z-sword type asspull. His character arc in Super was just he realized he needed to train to keep up/be a bit stronger than someone like Piccolo, as opposed to how wimpy he was in RoF for example. But then again, Super kinda throws power scaling out the window, so maybe his semi-retirement is all he needs to get back up the ladder.

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:54 pm

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:43 pm
As for Broly's supposed arc of learning to control his rage - we saw that already in the tournament of power with Kale.
Yeah, only problem is that Broly and Kale are two different fucking people who don't even live in the same universe.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17428
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Psajdak wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:54 pm
ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:43 pm
As for Broly's supposed arc of learning to control his rage - we saw that already in the tournament of power with Kale.
Yeah, only problem is that Broly and Kale are two different fucking people who don't even live in the same universe.
Which is meaningless for the audience. We've seen the story play out. Just because the characters aren't in the same universe (unimportant factoid) doesn't mean that arc wouldn't be doubling up.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 pm

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 pm
Which is meaningless for the audience. We've seen the story play out. Just because the characters aren't in the same universe (unimportant factoid) doesn't mean that arc wouldn't be doubling up.
Don't decide for others what they want.

99.9% fans of franchise at this point just follow it to see familiar characters beat the crap out of each other, and spam lasers all over.

No one actually cares for DB being original anymore, or trying new things, or to have some meaning anymore.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17428
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 pm

How is it meaningful to see the same story play out with characters that are intentionally very similar? What value is gained just by virtue of them being from different universes? They're the same species. You're the one who brought up them being entirely different and from different places, but now seem to be walking that back when you say it doesn't have to be meaningful.
Don't decide for others what they want... No one actually cares for DB being original anymore
Do you really not see the irony in these two statements?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 pm

You could argue that the final scene in the movie where Goku invites Broly to some friendly sparring sessions is supposed to hint that he’ll learn to better control his power.

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 pm
How is it meaningful to see the same story play out with characters that are intentionally very similar? What value is gained just by virtue of them being from different universes? They're the same species. You're the one who brought up them being entirely different and from different places, but now seem to be walking that back when you say it doesn't have to be meaningful.
Don't decide for others what they want... No one actually cares for DB being original anymore
Do you really not see the irony in these two statements?
There is no irony, because I am simply stating the facts.

Sure, they may be one, or two people like you who try to find some art, or depth, or meaning, or fucking whatever IN DRAGON BALL, but honestly, as long as it has fights with stronger, and stronger characters, everything else is really just a canon filler.

For what is worth, characters may just start fighting from now on smply because they don't like the colors of each others clothes.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6076
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:10 pm

I, for one, want another Tournarment of Power to happen, so that Broly has a chance to get eras... No, wait, he's part of the Universe 7 team, so he's protected by the "plot shield", too bad.
Psajdak wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm
characters may just start fighting from now on smply because they don't like the colors of each others clothes.
You know, the saddest thing is that as far as modern Dragon Ball is concerned, this actually may happen eventually. But I assure you I'll be there to complain when that happens. As I don't fit this "No one actually cares for DB being original anymore, or trying new things, or to have some meaning anymore." - category at all.
Modern Dragon Ball in a nutshell
Psajdak wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Everything is for the sake of enjoyment, and nostalgia, no one cares about plot

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13169
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:10 pm
I, for one, want another Tournarment of Power to happen, so that Broly has a chance to get eras... No, wait, he's part of the Universe 7 team, so he's protected by the "plot shield", too bad.
Psajdak wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm
characters may just start fighting from now on smply because they don't like the colors of each others clothes.
You know, the saddest thing is that as far as modern Dragon Ball is concerned, this actually may happen eventually. But I assure you I'll be there to complain when that happens. As I don't fit this "No one actually cares for DB being original anymore, or trying new things, or to have some meaning anymore." - category at all.
Dang, nice to know you're literally scheduling the next time you want to get mad over a children's television series you don't like.
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6076
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Damn, 2020 and we still have to put up with the "it's not for you anyway" argument. What's next? "If you didn't like it, do it better yourself"?
Modern Dragon Ball in a nutshell
Psajdak wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Everything is for the sake of enjoyment, and nostalgia, no one cares about plot

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 pm
Damn, 2020 and we still have to put up with the "it's not for you anyway" argument. What's next? "If you didn't like it, do it better yourself"?
Hey now, that worked pretty well for Yoshihiro Togashi
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13169
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 pm
Damn, 2020 and we still have to put up with the "it's not for you anyway" argument. What's next? "If you didn't like it, do it better yourself"?
The point was that you outright admitted that you will for a fact becoming back in the future to be upset is the issue. Besides, I'm a goofy grown woman on the same forum dedicated to the same children's cartoon as you are--I'm not exactly casting myself as An Authority On the Arts™ here.
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 am

I would rather have them do something with him, than nothing. If they leave it as a one off that makes that whole movie ultimately pointless since nothing was lost or gained by the end other than the knowledge of Broly's existence. Even if they decided to keep Freeza dead after RoF at the very least we know that past Battle of God's Goku and Vegeta gained a some what casual friendship/mentor ship with Beerus and Whis and gained new evolved forms of SSGod as well, not much to right home about but it's something that pushes things forward.

Would love if Broly doesn't become a full fledged good guy either, having him be neutral would be cool. Getting to see his perspective on the universe after his fight with two saiyans he didn't even know existed would be fun. Once he learns to articulate himself better via help from Chile and Lemon. we could see if he aspires to have more out of his life besides maybe banging the Green Girl, becoming buddies with the Orange Guy and eating bugs all day.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:49 am

ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:43 pm
The end of Super would point to Gohan not being retired. It showed the opposite. Gohan has learned his lesson and looks to be pursuing a more balanced life - one where he keeps his skills sharp but also trains his mind.

As for Broly's supposed arc of learning to control his rage - we saw that already in the tournament of power with Kale.

And Freeza did not train and become stronger than Goku and Vegeta.
1. Just curious, what made you mention Gohan?

2. I mean yeah but I don't think that's the arc they would do for him persay. My thoughts at least

3. Well probably not but he might of. I mean he "held is own" against someone 5-50x stronger than SSB

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17428
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 am

Psajdak wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm
ABED wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 pm
How is it meaningful to see the same story play out with characters that are intentionally very similar? What value is gained just by virtue of them being from different universes? They're the same species. You're the one who brought up them being entirely different and from different places, but now seem to be walking that back when you say it doesn't have to be meaningful.
Don't decide for others what they want... No one actually cares for DB being original anymore
Do you really not see the irony in these two statements?
There is no irony, because I am simply stating the facts.

Sure, they may be one, or two people like you who try to find some art, or depth, or meaning, or fucking whatever IN DRAGON BALL, but honestly, as long as it has fights with stronger, and stronger characters, everything else is really just a canon filler.

For what is worth, characters may just start fighting from now on smply because they don't like the colors of each others clothes.
You didn't state a single fact. It was all conjecture.

This isn't about finding depth and meaning, it's simply not wanting to see the same exact arc play out in characters that essentially mirrors. It's redundant. Being from different universes doesn't change that at all. Why would it matter whether the characters are in the same universe if they are playing out the same damn arc?

And yes, those two statements are ironic. You scold me for supposedly "deciding what others want" and then tell me what everyone wants.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Skar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:49 am

His fate might be similar to Android 8 who was a "monster" that some bad guys wanted to use as a weapon, befriended Goku, and now lives in peace with a cameo during the series finale. The Z fighters haven't brought up Broly during the Moro saga so maybe they don't intend to disturb his peace and ask for his help.
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 pm
The point was that you outright admitted that you will for a fact becoming back in the future to be upset is the issue. Besides, I'm a goofy grown woman on the same forum dedicated to the same children's cartoon as you are--I'm not exactly casting myself as An Authority On the Arts™ here.
I remember someone who used to post on here named JacobYBM. I think it was a few years ago. Are you two related or both inspired by the same series when deciding on a username? I was just curious!

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:33 am

ABED wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 am
Psajdak wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm
You didn't state a single fact. It was all conjecture.
This isn't about finding depth and meaning, it's simply not wanting to see the same exact arc play out in characters that essentially mirrors. It's redundant. Being from different universes doesn't change that at all. Why would it matter whether the characters are in the same universe if they are playing out the same damn arc?
And yes, those two statements are ironic. You scold me for supposedly "deciding what others want" and then tell me what everyone wants.
Whatever, believe what you want.

I guess you just don't get how much people in Japan love "same old - same old" familiar stuff, and why Doraemon, Sazae-san, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Detective Conan, Pokemon, etc. are exactly tpopular.

Psajdak
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:37 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:33 am

ABED wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 am
You didn't state a single fact. It was all conjecture.
This isn't about finding depth and meaning, it's simply not wanting to see the same exact arc play out in characters that essentially mirrors. It's redundant. Being from different universes doesn't change that at all. Why would it matter whether the characters are in the same universe if they are playing out the same damn arc?
And yes, those two statements are ironic. You scold me for supposedly "deciding what others want" and then tell me what everyone wants.
Whatever, believe what you want.

I guess you just don't get how much people in Japan love "same old - same old" familiar stuff, and why Doraemon, Sazae-san, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Detective Conan, Pokemon, etc. are exactly tpopular.

kemuri07
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Hopefully stays gone
Broly is absolutely fine in a spectacle like that last Dragonball movie. I cannot imagine him at all in the story proper, especially as he is now.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20899
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm

I echo the thoughts of Shaddy. I'd love to see a character arc for Broly that actually go in depth with the mental issue that are linked to Broly's power. But I have a feeling they'll probably never mentioned the Super!Broly again.

Post Reply