What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 pm
And as for why I'm seeing deliberate pigheadedness on the part of Masenko and ABED
Take a breath. This isn't deliberate. We just don't agree with you. I didn't attack wittyresponse. I did question your argument b/c I've seen plenty of times where you have made ridiculous claims by taking things out of context of blowing things out of proportion.

Your issue is you think this is cut and dry and obvious, like no one could POSSIBLY or reasonably disagree with your assertion, but there are plenty of counters to be made
Blah Blah Blah

I'm not the first person to accuse you of being disingenous and I doubt I'm going to be the last. I've been looking through your reply histories. You do this in every thread you're in and Masenko's not much different.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 pm
ABED wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 pm
And as for why I'm seeing deliberate pigheadedness on the part of Masenko and ABED
Take a breath. This isn't deliberate. We just don't agree with you. I didn't attack wittyresponse. I did question your argument b/c I've seen plenty of times where you have made ridiculous claims by taking things out of context of blowing things out of proportion.

Your issue is you think this is cut and dry and obvious, like no one could POSSIBLY or reasonably disagree with your assertion, but there are plenty of counters to be made
Blah Blah Blah

I'm not the first person to accuse you of being disingenous and I doubt I'm going to be the last. I've been looking through your reply histories. You do this in every thread you're in and Masenko's not much different.
All this because we disagree with you. M'kay. I will call behavior I find disingenuous out when I see it. What I'm finding ridiculous is that you haven't budged one single inch in this discussion but we're stubborn? Do you not see the irony in that comment? It goes back to a previous comment, it's always incumbent on the OTHER person to change their mind. No one backs down and everyone gets entrenched in the view they had at the beginning. Look at the responses you gave when this digression began. I asked you sincerely how it was cynical and you just doubled down on using the word and said Toriyama is one of the most cynical manga writers, and in the very next response, you got all incredulous as though your point was self evident. Wittyresponse gave a thoughtful intelligent reply that explained his point. I don't agree with everything, but witty did get me to think there is more to the other side's point than I had considered. But sure, go ahead and think I'm pigheaded.

Everyone, not to derail this thread, but what do you think should happen with Broly?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am

Looking though a user’s post history? That’s shit the manbabies on reddit use when they don’t have much of an argument. :lol:

Focus on the content in the current thread, people.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:09 am

I haven't read through the conversation of what ya'll might be arguing about and quite frankly, I don't have the energy to do so. so i'm just gonna give my opinion on the question asked. "What do I want with Broly?" for him to go away lol I don't hate his Character. In fact, I loved the first two movies and thought he was just as much of a victim as he was a villain and I felt sorry for him. because being freaking stabbed and thrown out like a piece of trash from birth and your father probably got the crap beat out of him and thrown out as well, is enough to cause anyone to snap and want revenge. But I felt that the new movie took that tragic piece from the story and turned Broly into this wild man tarzan guy. I didn't hate the new movie but I didn't enjoy it really. I know that Toei's gonna make a long drawn out Super saga with Broly and we gotta sit through that like the battle of Gods and the Freeza revival saga's. I just didn't think there was a need for Broly's return is really the only opinion I can give. :? I have no real interest in arguing about this either so don't try to change my mind. :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am
Looking though a user’s post history? That’s shit the manbabies on reddit use when they don’t have much of an argument. :lol:

Focus on the content in the current thread, people.
Go eat a dick
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm

I enjoyed the Battle of Gods retelling, but disliked the Golden Freeza arc. I shudder to think how bad a protracted Broly arc would be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2757
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:19 pm

I didn’t care for the BoG retelling. It played the story in a more serious light than the movie did, and it just didn’t work for me. Just look at the scene where Beerus slaps Bulma. Did the show really need to make that moment a dramatic cliffhanger for an episode? And why did they have Beerus smirking deviously while he was doing it? Was that supposed to be an indication of just how far Beerus was crossing the line? If so, it didn’t really work, because it’s not like he killed or seriously wounded her, and we already saw the guy blowing up planets out of sheer pettiness. Also, from what I recall, Goku’s fight with Beerus went on for too long.

Still, I guess I might be inclined to call the RF retelling worse, because that was adapting a movie I already disliked, and even though it had the potential to make the story more interesting, it completely squandered it. I actually liked the idea of fleshing out Tagoma a bit more, but they completely threw it all away when they had him get hijacked by Ginyu. Seriously, Ginyu added absolutely nothing to the story. He was there purely for fanservice. There’s also Piccolo’s death, which was a really cheap and lazy attempt at generating drama.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm

A slap to a single character, especially one the audience cares about, can be more impactful than destroying an entire world. I heard an audible gasp from the audience when I saw it in the theater.
I actually liked the idea of fleshing out Tagoma a bit more, but they completely threw it all away when they had him get hijacked by Ginyu. Seriously, Ginyu added absolutely nothing to the story. He was there purely for fanservice. There’s also Piccolo’s death, which was a really cheap and lazy attempt at generating drama.
Get out of my brain :)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2757
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:42 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm
A slap to a single character, especially one the audience cares about, can be more impactful than destroying an entire world. I heard an audible gasp from the audience when I saw it in the theater.
That seems like a silly thing to gasp at. The film didn’t even depict him slapping Bulma as a serious thing. It came across as more of a reflexive reaction from Beerus, and it was clear that her life wasn’t in any danger from that. Sure, Vegeta didn’t take it well, but the characters joked about his response at the end of the film.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:42 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm
A slap to a single character, especially one the audience cares about, can be more impactful than destroying an entire world. I heard an audible gasp from the audience when I saw it in the theater.
That seems like a silly thing to gasp at. The film didn’t even depict him slapping Bulma as a serious thing. It came across as more of a reflexive reaction from Beerus, and it was clear that her life wasn’t in any danger from that. Sure, Vegeta didn’t take it well, but the characters joked about his response at the end of the film.
I think it was because the audience knew this would set off Vegeta, but also because they do in fact care about Bulma and no one had ever done that before. It's not really about life endangering stakes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1168
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:20 pm

I would like to see Broly gain control of himself, regain his tail and maybe find a Saiyan wife.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 pm
XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am
Looking though a user’s post history? That’s shit the manbabies on reddit use when they don’t have much of an argument. :lol:

Focus on the content in the current thread, people.
Go eat a dick
Hit you close to home, did I? Found the manbaby. Way to prove me right.

User avatar
HimuraBenny
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by HimuraBenny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 am
HimuraBenny wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:59 pm
Broly is just too strong and yea most likely will be written as a side character or just swoops in to save the day.
They'll just make everyone stronger than him. This is the same show that has Krillin holding his own against Blue Goku.
But to be fair, they'll never put Krillin against Jiren or Moro for instance. Broly has been shown to bounce around Golden Frieza as if he were a beach ball, so I don't buy your argument.

If they power scale Broly to make him less of a factor in battles, it would have to be the end of the show imo. Goku, Vegeta and Broly are the three strongest protagonists in the series. (main protagonists*, I know beerus and whis may still be stronger)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 pm

ABED wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm
A slap to a single character, especially one the audience cares about, can be more impactful than destroying an entire world. I heard an audible gasp from the audience when I saw it in the theater.
Because the movie did it right. The anime had it needlesly over dramatic.

User avatar
HimuraBenny
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by HimuraBenny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm

I think Broly could be used as an example of the prototypical saiyan.
Vegeta has been too pampered as a youth and now has a completely different persona from his coexistence with humans.
Goku's whole story is based around the fact he is not like regular saiyans.

Broly has been in isolation for so long, he is the least influenced party out of the bunch. Broly could really give us a taste of regular Saiyan characteristics if his arc is more "coming-of age" than the whole Hulk aspect to his life.

To be fair, what I have in my head is an in depth character study and I do not think anyone at shuiesha/toei wants to make such a story.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 pm
ABED wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm
A slap to a single character, especially one the audience cares about, can be more impactful than destroying an entire world. I heard an audible gasp from the audience when I saw it in the theater.
Because the movie did it right. The anime had it needlesly over dramatic.
I don't know what you mean. It is a dramatic moment. It's when the story takes a significant turn from mostly a lark to something with a tad more weight.
Broly could really give us a taste of regular Saiyan characteristics if his arc is more "coming-of age" than the whole Hulk aspect to his life.
What do you take to be regular Saiyan characteristics?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm

ABED wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm
I don't know what you mean. It is a dramatic moment. It's when the story takes a significant turn from mostly a lark to something with a tad more weight.
I understand the point of the scene, I know what happens and what it meant. The retelling of the scene just felt needlessly over dramatic. I dont see what's not to understand about that statement.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm
ABED wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm
I don't know what you mean. It is a dramatic moment. It's when the story takes a significant turn from mostly a lark to something with a tad more weight.
I understand the point of the scene, I know what happens and what it meant. The retelling of the scene just felt needlessly over dramatic. I dont see what's not to understand about that statement.
I thought maybe you thought the scene was portrayed as funny. I didn't necessarily think you meant the TV series gilded the lily.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5425
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm

ABED wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm
ABED wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm
I don't know what you mean. It is a dramatic moment. It's when the story takes a significant turn from mostly a lark to something with a tad more weight.
I understand the point of the scene, I know what happens and what it meant. The retelling of the scene just felt needlessly over dramatic. I dont see what's not to understand about that statement.
I thought maybe you thought the scene was portrayed as funny. I didn't necessarily think you meant the TV series gilded the lily.
Nah thats my mistake for not clarifying. Sorry!

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17937
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:49 pm

No problem.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply