What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HimuraBenny

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by HimuraBenny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:16 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm
Broly could really give us a taste of regular Saiyan characteristics if his arc is more "coming-of age" than the whole Hulk aspect to his life.
What do you take to be regular Saiyan characteristics?
So whats been passed down from saiyans like Nappa, Vegeta, Raditz and the like is a taste for evil, destruction, and in general displays of power. I guess dominance may be a personality trait.

I have not seen episode of bardock recently enough to have a clear understanding of the personalization he or his crew have.

An interesting character could be Bardocks co worker from dbs broly, but he was not developed either.

If this is a warrior race and Broly has issues controlling his warrior nature, the ensuing personal conflicts could shed light on the saiyan personality traits we have yet to be exposed to.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 pm

As far as the slap to Bulma in BoG is concerned, the movie certainly didn’t portray it as a funny moment, but it wasn’t depicted as dramatically as it was in Super. It wasn’t supposed to be a scene that cements how ruthless Beerus is. If anything, it seemed more like a reflexive reaction on his part. It was a quick moment that was there to show how much Vegeta loves his wife, and probably to satisfy Vegeta fans. That’s it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 pm

I haven't watched the scenes back to back but I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other which likely means they both work just fine for me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:34 pm As far as the slap to Bulma in BoG is concerned, the movie certainly didn’t portray it as a funny moment, but it wasn’t depicted as dramatically as it was in Super. It wasn’t supposed to be a scene that cements how ruthless Beerus is. If anything, it seemed more like a reflexive reaction on his part. It was a quick moment that was there to show how much Vegeta loves his wife, and probably to satisfy Vegeta fans. That’s it.
The scene is likely more drawn out to save drawings for the rest of the episode. Super had little time for planning and getting animators as it was, so drawing the scene out with pans and shifting single frames saves time.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 am

HimuraBenny wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pmBut to be fair, they'll never put Krillin against Jiren or Moro for instance. Broly has been shown to bounce around Golden Frieza as if he were a beach ball, so I don't buy your argument.

If they power scale Broly to make him less of a factor in battles, it would have to be the end of the show imo. Goku, Vegeta and Broly are the three strongest protagonists in the series. (main protagonists*, I know beerus and whis may still be stronger)
The problem with Broly is that they've made him a trillion times stronger than he should be. During his very first fight, he was able to hold his own against a post-TOP Blue Goku, in his base form. The only way to include him in the story that will make sense is to keep his Ssj powers under wraps. My point about Krillin is that they just allowed him to hold off Goku Blue's Attack, despite that not logically being possible. I don't want more of that in order to justify Broly's usage within the story where things just stop making sense.

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 am
HimuraBenny wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pmBut to be fair, they'll never put Krillin against Jiren or Moro for instance. Broly has been shown to bounce around Golden Frieza as if he were a beach ball, so I don't buy your argument.

If they power scale Broly to make him less of a factor in battles, it would have to be the end of the show imo. Goku, Vegeta and Broly are the three strongest protagonists in the series. (main protagonists*, I know beerus and whis may still be stronger)
The problem with Broly is that they've made him a trillion times stronger than he should be. During his very first fight, he was able to hold his own against a post-TOP Blue Goku, in his base form. The only way to include him in the story that will make sense is to keep his Ssj powers under wraps. My point about Krillin is that they just allowed him to hold off Goku Blue's Attack, despite that not logically being possible. I don't want more of that in order to justify Broly's usage within the story where things just stop making sense.
I totally agree. As far as normal DB narrative structure goes, they have written themselves in to a corner.

What do you want to see done with Broly?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:02 am

HimuraBenny wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 amWhat do you want to see done with Broly ?
The best and worst thing about Broly is that he's a power house. It's great to see him destroy everything in his path, especially in his first movie in Z where no one could stop him. The problem is, that kind of character loses his novelty after his first appearance. If he's a good guy, Goku and friends will be even more overpowered than they already are. It's bad enough having Beerus and Whis around, adding Broly to that will be overkill. If he's a villain, it'll just be more of the same. Broly gets angry, destroys things, Goku beats some sense into him, etc. Like you said, they've written themselves into a corner, and I honestly have no idea how they're going to write themselves out of it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:20 am

I wanna see Broli be moe-moe and be in situations where he learns new things! Not every scene needs to have him punching things!! Save that for when you can animated it well, anyway!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:02 am
HimuraBenny wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 amWhat do you want to see done with Broly ?
The best and worst thing about Broly is that he's a power house. It's great to see him destroy everything in his path, especially in his first movie in Z where no one could stop him. The problem is, that kind of character loses his novelty after his first appearance. If he's a good guy, Goku and friends will be even more overpowered than they already are. It's bad enough having Beerus and Whis around, adding Broly to that will be overkill. If he's a villain, it'll just be more of the same. Broly gets angry, destroys things, Goku beats some sense into him, etc. Like you said, they've written themselves into a corner, and I honestly have no idea how they're going to write themselves out of it.
If we can keep Broly to just the movies, there has got to be a version of the immovable object vs unstoppable force story that has Broly at one end and...

I do not know who the other fighter would be.

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:20 am I wanna see Broli be moe-moe and be in situations where he learns new things! Not every scene needs to have him punching things!! Save that for when you can animated it well, anyway!
So basically relegate Broly to a Broly/Cheelai/Lemo side story?

Its not a bad idea.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm

HimuraBenny wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pmSo basically relegate Broly to a Broly/Cheelai/Lemo side story?

Its not a bad idea.
What they should've done was save his Lssj form for another story. In his normal Ssj form he was able to beat up Blue Goku, Vegeta, and Golden Freeza. There was no need to take it a step further when he was already doing what needed to be done.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:10 pm

I am not a fan of his reboot... and I don't even know what I want with him. Maybe a meeting between him and universe 6 saiyans could be fun or maybe something with Frieza, like manipulating and using Broly ?

Hmm... I really don't know.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:10 pm I am not a fan of his reboot... and I don't even know what I want with him. Maybe a meeting between him and universe 6 saiyans could be fun or maybe something with Frieza, like manipulating and using Broly ?

Hmm... I really don't know.
That's where that plotline seems to be heading, yes. At the end of the Broly movie, Freeza laments how he is still too weak to get his revenge on the saiyans, so he plans to unleash Broly on them.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:45 pm

At this point I feel like Freeza and his "goals", such as overthrowing Zeno, or getting revenge on Goku is just a meme to sort of keep him relevant in current age of Dragon Ball.

He may be more powerful than ever, but he just isn't as menacing as he was during Namek arc.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Broly could be a major recurring character in the future and just be neutral good.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 pm

HimuraBenny wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:20 am I wanna see Broli be moe-moe and be in situations where he learns new things! Not every scene needs to have him punching things!! Save that for when you can animated it well, anyway!
So basically relegate Broly to a Broly/Cheelai/Lemo side story?

Its not a bad idea.
It's a great idea. Dragon Ball is a franchise at this point so why not do what franchises do and give a popular character and his hot green alien babe their own side story with a comedic bent. Like that Yamcha inseki story but actually canon.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm

I just don't want Broly DBS to become just like another Vegeta or Piccolo.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm I just don't want Broly DBS to become just like another Vegeta or Piccolo.
The DBS version of Broly was technically never really a bad guy to begin with, so that already sets him apart from Piccolo and Vegeta.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:15 pm

I meant joining the Z team and be friendy-friends with Goku.

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:20 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm
HimuraBenny wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pmSo basically relegate Broly to a Broly/Cheelai/Lemo side story?

Its not a bad idea.
What they should've done was save his Lssj form for another story. In his normal Ssj form he was able to beat up Blue Goku, Vegeta, and Golden Freeza. There was no need to take it a step further when he was already doing what needed to be done.
I agree, but from a movie standpoint how could you not show off Broly to his full extent?

The stronger, OP version of Broly I think was to highlight Gogeta more than anything.