What do you want with Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What do you want with Broly?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:20 amLook what happened to Bardock. He became a time travelling Super Saiyan who that befriends weird plant people.
But that's if you go Episode of Bardock's route. You can always choose Dragon Ball Online's instead.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 am

The only character worth bringing back and the only one with real potential is Cooler.

Frieza's race is a complete mystery. Forgetting whatever they've said in interviews which can easily be thrown away, almost nothing is known about Frieza, what race he is, where he came from, why he's the way he is, why he's so strong etc.

Bringing in Cooler opens up that possibility for it all to be explored.

That would be a good thing if it didn't mean that once again they'd have to rely on bringing back an old popular character because they can't think of a new one.

BartG

Post by BartG » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 am

I want him back just so we can get that announcer in the soundtrack again.
I don't want that to become a permanent thing in the OST, rather a characteristic for Broli whenever he shows up.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:34 am

Thunderbird wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:09 am
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm It did. Broly throws a hissy fit and Goku and Vegeta have to team up to defeat him, but he's not a bad guy.
But I didn't say they'd need to team up to defeat him again... Vegeta doesn't have to be there, could just be Goku so maybe Broly would kick his ass next time. There's a lot they could do with that character.

If they ever have him gain control over his power and become another ally, that character and any potential he could have would be ruined.

For once, there is a chance for them to do something that has not been done before. An opportunity to not have a former antagonist turn protagonist yet again.
I'd much rather they give her a satisfying arc than keep going with the Hulk gimmick. And isn't Heroes just a promotional anime and not really in continuity.
They took one of the few characters that stood out and then completely removed that thing. Without the gimmick that character is nothing. She is now just the less interesting of the female Saiyans.

Without that form, she is a dull and uninteresting character that will never be able to stand on her own. She is always going to be paired off with Caulifla now. You won't see one without the other because them as a pair of female Saiyans is all they have to offer.

Whether Heroes is important or not, it's clear how those characters are gonna be portrayed.
She's more than the gimmick. I don't think she's dull. She's served her purpose in the story, was given a satisfying ending to her story and she's gone. Little reason to keep her in the story. Of course she and Caulifla will be paired off. That's always been who the characters were, a pair. And if you take Kale on her own, she doesn't lose control considering the times when she does is when she feels jealous about Kalifla. That's her trigger. If they were to show her on her own, you would have to come up with something else to do with her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:34 amShe's more than the gimmick. I don't think she's dull.
She wasn't dull when she was a Broly wannabe but when she went the "Ah sis! Best friends" route she was awful.

She may have served her purpose and if that was the end of her then that'd be fine. No need for her anyway now we have the actual proper but you know they'll keep her around somehow.

They put her in SDBH, she's not gonna disappear.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Her being a dull Broly wannabe was the least interesting thing about her.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Kale was just Z Broly. This time instead of it being a hate thing they switch it with love. So instead of "Kakarot!!!" it's more like "Caulifla!!!" She is pretty garbage imo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm

But as far as we know, she isn't a villain. I don't think there's enough either way to have a strong stance. I don't like that she's a version of Broly but she's perfectly fine character.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Super Broly has more in common with Kale than Kale does with Z Broly. Her similarities to Broly are pretty surface level. I don’t consider her to be a particularly interesting character, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:24 pm Kale was just Z Broly. This time instead of it being a hate thing they switch it with love. So instead of "Kakarot!!!" it's more like "Caulifla!!!" She is pretty garbage imo.
Kale is nothing like Broli from Dragon Ball Z. She doesn't seek to cause plain and destruction for the pleasure of it but to fill a hole in her heart, one borne of her own self-esteem issues. Her character arc is pretty basic but has real worth to women-loving-women who have to struggle with feeling one-way affection toward other women and that makes her a really unique contribution to the franchise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:24 pm Kale was just Z Broly. This time instead of it being a hate thing they switch it with love. So instead of "Kakarot!!!" it's more like "Caulifla!!!" She is pretty garbage imo.
Kale is nothing like Broli from Dragon Ball Z. She doesn't seek to cause plain and destruction for the pleasure of it but to fill a hole in her heart, one borne of her own self-esteem issues. Her character arc is pretty basic but has real worth to women-loving-women who have to struggle with feeling one-way affection toward other women and that makes her a really unique contribution to the franchise.
She is just like Broly. Timid person, seemingly a disgrace to the Saiyan race who has a hidden violent persona which is uncontrollable destruction. They just twisted it enough where it's different but not better. Also Kale and Broly are more like bipolar. When both are in their LSSJ forms they are psychotic almost. They are not interesting characters

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm
She is just like Broly. Timid person, seemingly a disgrace to the Saiyan race who has a hidden violent persona which is uncontrollable destruction. They just twisted it enough where it's different but not better. Also Kale and Broly are more like bipolar. When both are in their LSSJ forms they are psychotic almost. They are not interesting characters
Broli's timid nature is due to being basically drugged up, that piece of his character is quickly abandoned after being introduced. Kale is withdrawn because of her character. Kale's withdrawn, cold stares are remedied because of her more clarified and strengthened bond with Caulifla during the Tournament of Power.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm She is just like Broly. Timid person, seemingly a disgrace to the Saiyan race who has a hidden violent persona which is uncontrollable destruction. They just twisted it enough where it's different but not better. Also Kale and Broly are more like bipolar. When both are in their LSSJ forms they are psychotic almost. They are not interesting characters
I think Jacob means with how Kale actually has a bond with someone else whereas Broly didn't even give a shit about his own father and just crushed him to death.

Otherwise yeah its similar. An unassuming, at first glance weak Saiyan who snaps and becomes an uncontrollable Hulk smash monster.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm She is just like Broly. Timid person, seemingly a disgrace to the Saiyan race who has a hidden violent persona which is uncontrollable destruction. They just twisted it enough where it's different but not better. Also Kale and Broly are more like bipolar. When both are in their LSSJ forms they are psychotic almost. They are not interesting characters
I think Jacob means with how Kale actually has a bond with someone else whereas Broly didn't even give a shit about his own father and just crushed him to death.

Otherwise yeah its similar. An unassuming, at first glance weak Saiyan who snaps and becomes an uncontrollable Hulk smash monster.
Exactly. I never denied that there were differences just not enough for me to care. I kind of like Caulifla like she's ok, but Kale is just annoying to me

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Broly was in control, Kale was not. Broly just got stronger but was in full control of his faculties. He's simply an evil sadistic bastard who will destroy a planet for shits and giggles. Kale however can't control her emotions. Obviously there are going to be similarities. That's by design. She's meant to evoke Broly. That doesn't make them the same.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:28 pm

He wasn't that in control. He attacked Goku in the middle of the night for nothing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:28 pm He wasn't that in control. He attacked Goku in the middle of the night for nothing.
He might have hated him for a ridiculous reason but he was in full control of his actions. The second he severed the control his father had over him, he was in full control of his faculties.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm

funrush wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm Tricky thing with Broly is you don't want to assimilate him into the main cast too much or else EoZ comes into question
I'm just going to come out and say it, it's long past time to retcon and move past the EoZ epilogue. That ending was written with the intention of there being absolutely no new stories for the old cast after the Boo incident. There's no real need or reason to adhere too closely to it and that ending doesn't work anymore when the series is trying to transition from an isolated story made 30 years ago into a permanent pop culture mainstay like Star Wars or Western comic heroes.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm
funrush wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm Tricky thing with Broly is you don't want to assimilate him into the main cast too much or else EoZ comes into question
I'm just going to come out and say it, it's long past time to retcon and move past the EoZ epilogue. That ending was written with the intention of there being absolutely no new stories for the old cast after the Boo incident. There's no real need or reason to adhere too closely to it and that ending doesn't work anymore when the series is trying to transition from an isolated story made 30 years ago into a permanent pop culture mainstay like Star Wars or Western comic heroes.
I think that's a lot harder sell because that epilogue is still a part of Z, so I don't think they're ever going to do that.

That, and, you never actually have to worry about ending the series because, technically speaking--it has an ending.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:40 pm
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm
I think that's a lot harder sell because that epilogue is still a part of Z, so I don't think they're ever going to do that.

That, and, you never actually have to worry about ending the series because, technically speaking--it has an ending.
It's really not that hard to retcon something from a series written 30 years ago. Especially a series that hands out retcons left and right like Dragon Ball.

The only confusion you really have to deal with is a couple people realizing that the last 3-4 episodes of the old anime don't count anymore. It's not that big a thing to ask or comprehend. Especially in a world where people have been able to understand and accept that there have been 3 different Spider-Man continuities across 5 (7 if you count the Avengers standalones) films on the big screen since 2001.