Preserving the Nicktoons Airings of DB Material

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Preserving the Nicktoons Airings of DB Material

Post by KPike87 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:33 am

It's kind of hard to believe it's been a decade since Kai started airing on Nicktoons. It's what got me and countless other kids at the time into the fandom. While generally not remembered too fondly now due to the censoring, they're still unique versions of Kai, GT, and some of the movies.

Kai seems to have mostly been preserved thankfully, but the moves, TV specials, and GT seem to be unaccounted for. I was able to dig up some links from the Wayback machine on Nick's site for some clips and episodes of GT, but I couldn't get them to load in the webpage, and if there's a way to play them the same way you would a YT video using inspect element, I haven't found it. I also heard of a now defunct anime streaming website that used the Nicktoons broadcast of GT for that series.

Any and all help is appreciated, though keep the rules in mind; I don't suspect this post will get me into trouble, but please do not post full files on here of course.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Preserving the Nicktoons Airings of DB Material

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:44 am

Dang hard to believe it's been nearly a decade already since Kai debuted here on home video and TV, and it's interesting to see a younger fan whose intro to the series was through the airings of the latter and GT on Nicktoons. If i recall correctly going by memory, the airings of GT's dub on there was more or less the exact same content wise as what ran on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in 2003. I was already in high school when the Nicktoons edited Kai started, and it was the first i'd seen of the series on television since repeats of DBZ had stopped on CN a couple of years earlier and thus what reignited my interest in the franchise again.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:53 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:44 am Dang hard to believe it's been nearly a decade already since Kai debuted here both home video and TV, and it's interesting to see a younger fan whose intro to the series was through the airings of the latter and GT on Nicktoons. If i recall correctly going by me sort, the airings of GT's dub on there was more or less the exact same content wise as what had ran on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in 2003. I was already in high school when the Nicktoons edited Kai started, and it was the first i'd seen of the series on television since repeats of DBZ had stopped on CN a couple of years earlier and thus what reignited my interest in the franchise again.
Hm, that does make sense, as it was already fitted for a kid friendly (relatively) environment. I can also confirm the Trunks special is actually the same way. I actually didn't watch GT back in the day because after Kai ended, I just ended up watching the Buu saga of Z online, and didn't want to be spoiled.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 am

KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:53 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:44 am Dang hard to believe it's been nearly a decade already since Kai debuted here both home video and TV, and it's interesting to see a younger fan whose intro to the series was through the airings of the latter and GT on Nicktoons. If i recall correctly going by me sort, the airings of GT's dub on there was more or less the exact same content wise as what had ran on Cartoon Network/Toonami back in 2003. I was already in high school when the Nicktoons edited Kai started, and it was the first i'd seen of the series on television since repeats of DBZ had stopped on CN a couple of years earlier and thus what reignited my interest in the franchise again.
Hm, that does make sense, as it was already fitted for a kid friendly (relatively) environment. I can also confirm the Trunks special is actually the same way. I actually didn't watch GT back in the day because after Kai ended, I just ended up watching the Buu saga of Z online, and didn't want to be spoiled.
Yep, they already had that TV edited version of GT on hand from back then and of course this was still a couple of years before the Buu arc got adapted into Kai. It was up in the air for quite a while and nobody knew when it would eventually be coming, so FUNi had them run GT to fill in the gap after Kai finished it's initial run which also included some of the DBZ movies and the two specials

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 am
KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:53 am
Yep, they already had that TV edited version of GT on hand from back then and of course this was still a couple of years before the Buu arc got adapted into Kai. It was up in the air for quite a while and nobody knew when it would eventually be coming, so FUNi had them run GT to fill in the gap after Kai finished it's initial run which also included some of the DBZ movies and the two specials
Oh, that's actually pretty interesting. By the time Kai 2.0 was a thing, Nick had long lost the license, and I think Cartoon Network will have it on lockdown from now on in the states, after they saw the numbers Kai on Nick pulled.

And I guess that does also de-values a lot of the Nicktoons preservation, knowing that pretty much everything non-Kai is basically the Toonami versions, but still, it's interesting that once upon a time CN's direct competitor took an IP associated with them and made a pretty big profit from it. So maybe in that regard it's more so Nick history, but hey, it's Dragon Ball related and I think it's still valuable for that. Also, nothing like a little icon saying SpongeBob is up next just as Goku is turning super saiyan for the first time to hit home the nostalgia. (And yeah, I'm serious)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:33 am

KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 am And I guess that does also de-values a lot of the Nicktoons preservation, knowing that pretty much everything non-Kai is basically the Toonami versions
It doesn't devalue it that much. If anything, it means that the old Toonami stuff that was rerun on Nicktoons was more likely to have better quality fan recordings.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:31 am

Didn’t Nicktoons use the same edited GT dub that Toonami did minus the GT rap?

I just assumed

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:31 am Didn’t Nicktoons use the same edited GT dub that Toonami did minus the GT rap?

I just assumed
I looked back on an old thread on here about GT airing on Nick and apparently those airings did in fact use the rap theme.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:18 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:31 am Didn’t Nicktoons use the same edited GT dub that Toonami did minus the GT rap?

I just assumed
I looked back on an old thread on here about GT airing on Nick and apparently those airings did in fact use the rap theme.
Yeah, it was the same edited versions that had aired on CN/Toonami back in '03. So obviously Step Into the Grand Tour and the Menza score would be there since those are what FUNi had ready to go. They obviously weren't going to expend the time to create a TV broadcast edit of their green brick version since the former were already there, it's like how it was the very last time that DBZ aired regular re runs in 2007/2008 where even with the Orange Bricks concurrently releasing they still used the old edited versions from the initial broadcasts which still had the Team Faulconer OP/ED and Dale Kelly's narration unlike the latter which was redone with Kyle Herbert the entire way.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:33 am
KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 am And I guess that does also de-values a lot of the Nicktoons preservation, knowing that pretty much everything non-Kai is basically the Toonami versions
It doesn't devalue it that much. If anything, it means that the old Toonami stuff that was rerun on Nicktoons was more likely to have better quality fan recordings.
Good point, I didn't think of that.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:54 pm

I just assumed
Yeah, it was the same edited versions that had aired on CN/Toonami back in '03. So obviously Step Into the Grand Tour and the Menza score would be there since those are what FUNi had ready to go. They obviously weren't going to expend the time to create a TV broadcast edit of their green brick version since the former were already there, it's like how it was the very last time that DBZ aired regular re runs in 2007/2008 where even with the Orange Bricks concurrently releasing they still used the old edited versions from the initial broadcasts which still had the Team Faulconer OP/ED and Dale Kelly's narration unlike the latter which was redone with Kyle Herbert the entire way.
I could be wrong, but even if the edits are based on work Toonami did for GT back in the day, would it have been the first time they aired these versions of the first 17 episodes? I remember reading that Giru's Checkered Past on Nicktoons was the first time it aired in America, not sure about the other episodes or if that's even true.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:54 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:47 pm
I could be wrong, but even if the edits are based on work Toonami did for GT back in the day, would it have been the first time they aired these versions of the first 17 episodes? I remember reading that Giru's Checkered Past on Nicktoons was the first time it aired in America, not sure about the other episodes or if that's even true.
They ran them as the Lost Episodes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOn-nylvYM

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:01 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:47 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:33 am
Good point, I didn't think of that.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Yes that is indeed true, and when GT originally aired on Toonami it started at the episode where Pan goes to rescue Goku and Trunks on Planet M2 due to the first sixteen in the Black Star Dragon Ball arc being skipped over initially due to FUNi's desire to "get to the action" as they said which resulted in those being held back at first and the clip show/dub only recap episode "A Grand Problem" that was cobbled together from said episodes. Then of course after 17-64 aired first run from 2003 to 2005 they went back and did the skipped episodes later as the so called "Lost Episodes". The reason for the decision was because they already knew beforehand that GT had a not so great reputation based on it's original run in Japan a few years prior which did so so in ratings compared to the original series and Z in that same Wednesday evening time slot. Thus, it was an attempt to overcome that and the marketing at the time reflected in spades which the first sixteen episodes didn't fit into.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:54 pm
They ran them as the Lost Episodes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOn-nylvYM
Oh, ok. My bad, I thought the Lost Episodes were DVD exclusive or something. DB Wiki also says that Giru's Checkered past was skipped on Toonami, for some reason. That probably makes that the first true lost piece of media surrounding the Nickelodeon history. Unless somebody else already has it, that's the first thing worth searching for, I think.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:22 am

The DB Wiki is shit. It has been shit for a long time now. At various points it made up techniques IIRC.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:22 am The DB Wiki is shit. It has been shit for a long time now. At various points it made up techniques IIRC.
They're actually right about this. Each time Cartoon Network attempted to air that episode, they ran an earlier one instead. I'm not really sure the TV version would be any different than what you'd find on the DVD singles, though.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 pm

I went to the archive.org today to see if I could find any fan recordings. Haven't found any Nicktoons stuff yet, but I did find a VHS recording of a guy channel surfing, and he just so happens to run across Kai on Toonzai, the whole episode (minus the NEP).

It was episode 21, and used the Kikuchi score. I have the first 97 episodes of the Nicktoons version, and the first 63 episodes use the Yamamoto score, since they were taken from when the episode first aired. I do know later airings used the Kikuchi score, but I didn't think Toonzai got to that point where they had to start using that.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 pm

KPike87 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 pm I went to the archive.org today to see if I could find any fan recordings. Haven't found any Nicktoons stuff yet, but I did find a VHS recording of a guy channel surfing, and he just so happens to run across Kai on Toonzai, the whole episode (minus the NEP).

It was episode 21, and used the Kikuchi score. I have the first 97 episodes of the Nicktoons version, and the first 63 episodes use the Yamamoto score, since they were taken from when the episode first aired. I do know later airings used the Kikuchi score, but I didn't think Toonzai got to that point where they had to start using that.
Update: Found two more episodes of Toonzai Z Kai, both from the Androids Saga, both with the Kikuchi score, but one of them is missing the left audio channel (you do get to see Blue Popo in that though).

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

KPike87 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 pm
KPike87 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 pm I went to the archive.org today to see if I could find any fan recordings. Haven't found any Nicktoons stuff yet, but I did find a VHS recording of a guy channel surfing, and he just so happens to run across Kai on Toonzai, the whole episode (minus the NEP).

Update: Found two more episodes of Toonzai Z Kai, both from the Androids Saga, both with the Kikuchi score, but one of them is missing the left audio channel (you do get to see Blue Popo in that though).
Sorry for triple posting, but found yet another one; same as above.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I've found recordings of the entire NickToons run of Kai, but the quality is utter shite; heavily-bitrate-starved ~360p video, low-birate MP3 audio (constant bitrate), heavy dynamic range compression...

I'd love to get ahold of some actually-decent-quality copies of these, but I think most people just didn't care about preserving this stuff.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:50 pm I've found recordings of the entire NickToons run of Kai, but the quality is utter shite; heavily-bitrate-starved ~360p video, low-birate MP3 audio (constant bitrate), heavy dynamic range compression...

I'd love to get ahold of some actually-decent-quality copies of these, but I think most people just didn't care about preserving this stuff.
That's probably the same copy I have. It has all those issues, but is also stretched to 16:9. It's also missing episode 98 since that aired much later on Nicktoons, alongside the Trunks special.