Dragon Ball Z Singles - Faithful to Broadcast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Singles - Faithful to Broadcast?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:27 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:30 pm The Tree of Might three parter was aired on Toonami once though. I distinctly remember it.
The few times i saw it on Toonami as a kid it was always the movie version they played.
If I recall correctly, they only played it like that once, and I think it was at the end of the Namek arc like the original syndication.

It was definitely Toonami, because I didn't watch the series until it was on Toonami (maybe even the first or second run, since I remember Moltar). I was a bit confused, but every time they aired it as a movie, it was the combined version, which they did way more frequently.
I would guess the split up episodic Tree of Might was a one off thing which was done during the season two syndi broadcast, and they just aired the movie version more often. All of the times i remember seeing it on TV that was the one always run so apparently the film in this format was very rarely re aired after the piecemealed airings between the other proper episodes in late 1997, and it's pretty much the only thing from that initial roughly two year run with the Ocean cast that is still not accounted for presently. It seems this version has more or less fallen into the depths of obscurity, seeing as no recordings have surfaced as of yet when compared to the more known edited movie version.

All of the times i recall seeing it along with Dead Zone and World's Strongest was after TOM had become the host, as in the original short Sonny Strait (pre Steve Blum) voiced version.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 am

Didnt realize toonami aired the 3 parter. I recall seeing it pre-toonami run as a mini-saga. I'm suprised no one has a tape of the 3 parter ver. I cant recall exactly where the slip the movie up

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:58 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 am Didnt realize toonami aired the 3 parter. I recall seeing it pre-toonami run as a mini-saga. I'm suprised no one has a tape of the 3 parter ver. I cant recall exactly where the slip the movie up
It's extremely rare apparently, seeing as i never personally saw it that way on Toonami but only the movie version.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)