Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:36 am

With the recent events unfolding globally, in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, would this impact the future of the Dragon Ball franchise economically and culturally? Many anime conventions around the world are either cancelled, postponed or scaled back.

Fear not! One writer, Toshio Yoshitaka, has drawn Beerus to eradicate the coronavirus according to The Jerusalem Post.
https://m.jpost.com/OMG/Dragon-Ball-scr ... 621331/amp

And this will impact the Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot DLC as well.
https://gamerant.com/dragon-ball-z-kaka ... virus/amp/

Will you be surprised if the new Dragon Ball anime, manga, film or any other media are being delayed or cancelled due to the situation?

So let’s go on an adventure, collect the seven Dragon Balls and summon Shenlong to wish the coronavirus away from the people of the Earth!
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am

This will impact everything in the world, from entertainment, education, medical, politics, etc. Once this is over, the world is going to be a very, very different place from what it was before.

For the sake of this article, I'll only focus on entertainment, as that's what DB is a part of. Regrading the franchise's future, we don't even know if the people in charge of it will be in any position medically or financially to give us anything new. Not only is 70% of the population expected to get this, more and more studies are showing that people who get over it are left with nasty side effects, such as the lungs losing 30% of their function.

When it comes to the financial side of things, the world economy will be dead and buried by the time this is over, so will the companies that bring us DB be able to afford making it ? Will the fans who buy it have jobs to be able to buy said new products ?

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:57 am

At this point, I'd be more surprised if production on any TV show or movie hasn't ground to a complete halt for the time being. If they haven't, they absolutely should because no need for entertainment or desire for money is worth being inactive in the fight to curb and eradicate this virus.

Also, someone drew a fantastic piece of Future Trunks giving the coronavirus the old Mecha-Freeza treatment. It's on Reddit somewhere.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:31 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:57 amAt this point, I'd be more surprised if production on any TV show or movie hasn't ground to a complete halt for the time being.
Multiple sources are claiming Marvel studios has completely shut down, putting everything on a permanent hold. A lot of video game companies are finishing their work from home. I think seasons of anime currently airing were already produced before this got bad, so those should continue to air as planned, but I don't know how things will go from there. There is good news though.

Despite having a population of over 125 million, and despite having cases since mid January, Japan only has around 1000 cases now. To understand how good that is, take a look at Italy, their population is half of that, yet are expected to have over 100000 cases by the end of this week or next week. If you break that down daily, Japan only has around 25-30 cases a day, compared to others which are in the 1000s.

When it comes to entertainment and other factors of life, Japan is among the most likely countries to make a full recovery from this. I know DB and entertainment in general aren't important in the bigger picture, but if you're someone who cares about anime and manga (most people on this site do), then the impact on them will be minimal compared to Western entertainment.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am This will impact everything in the world, from entertainment, education, medical, politics, etc. Once this is over, the world is going to be a very, very different place from what it was before.

For the sake of this article, I'll only focus on entertainment, as that's what DB is a part of. Regrading the franchise's future, we don't even know if the people in charge of it will be in any position medically or financially to give us anything new. Not only is 70% of the population expected to get this, more and more studies are showing that people who get over it are left with nasty side effects, such as the lungs losing 30% of their function.

When it comes to the financial side of things, the world economy will be dead and buried by the time this is over, so will the companies that bring us DB be able to afford making it ? Will the fans who buy it have jobs to be able to buy said new products ?
I didn't see anything that said 70% of the world's population would get it, none of the leading scientists have said anything close to that from what i've seen. Also not everyone that gets the virus will necessarily have their lungs damaged, lots of people who have gotten it have been able to recover at home just fine.

The economy won't be totally dead but it will definitely take time to recover, does not mean we won't get any new entertainment necessarily but it might take longer then it otherwise would've.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 am

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 amI didn't see anything that said 70% of the world's population would get it, none of the leading scientists have said anything close to that from what i've seen.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ted-2020-3

"A panel of experts at the University of California, San Francisco, predicted that between 40 and 70% of Americans could become infected within the next 18 months".

Even if that number isn't completely right, and it's 40 or 50%, that's still going to leave a major impact on the world. It's worth noting that this was posted 10 days ago, in which things were a lot better than they were today, so these number could be true now, or worse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 am

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 am
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am This will impact everything in the world, from entertainment, education, medical, politics, etc. Once this is over, the world is going to be a very, very different place from what it was before.

I didn't see anything that said 70% of the world's population would get it, none of the leading scientists have said anything close to that from what i've seen. Also not everyone that gets the virus will necessarily have their lungs damaged, lots of people who have gotten it have been able to recover at home just fine.

The economy won't be totally dead but it will definitely take time to recover, does not mean we won't get any new entertainment necessarily but it might take longer then it otherwise would've.
Also, this virus is primarily first and foremost dangerous to people who are elderly or who have compromised systems/underlying medical conditions. Even though many others outside of those two predominant groups have or have had it most recover just fine. Generally speaking, while indeed contagious and no doubt a present crisis i don't see this coming to near the staggering death toll numbers of the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak though bear in mind that happened over a century ago when medical technology was at a far less capable level compared to the present, in addition to coming as the world was still mired in the nightmare of the First World War.

Yeah, the entertainment side will be indeed be set back for a while due to this thing but i don't see it going down the drain nor the economy either.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:06 am

I was just thinkin yesterday why not a single topic was made linkin to Covid-19. Here we are😂

World citizens are dying, falling sick left, right, centre. It's striking fear, panic, anxiety & sorrow across everyone's hearts so much that merely escaping from SARS-COV-2 is considered miraculous feat. And ur talkin abt DB's future🤣

Entertainment, especially anime is least priority right now. College's/universities, offices, industrial companies are locked-down. Some studies show strains of Covid19 might still be active till September. Guess what?

I'd say while it's fun to rewatch DB/DBZ/GT/DBS during these pandemic/quarantine times, it's too early to speculate or expect anything new from TOEI. New muvie/anime/series/whatever spinoff? Maybe end of this year. Maybe...

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:18 am

But on the other hand for instance, Monica Rial (Bulma) was supposed to appear at Anime Central in Rosemont/Chicago until this event got officially sacked due to the pandemic.
https://www.acen.org/monica-rial-2020-g ... ouncement/
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:18 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:40 am
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 amI didn't see anything that said 70% of the world's population would get it, none of the leading scientists have said anything close to that from what i've seen.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ted-2020-3

"A panel of experts at the University of California, San Francisco, predicted that between 40 and 70% of Americans could become infected within the next 18 months".

Even if that number isn't completely right, and it's 40 or 50%, that's still going to leave a major impact on the world. It's worth noting that this was posted 10 days ago, in which things were a lot better than they were today, so these number could be true now, or worse.
Predictions aren't strictly set in stone though and the NYTimes report I saw said the number of infected could be greatly reduced if proper measures are taken.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 am
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 am

Also, this virus is primarily first and foremost dangerous to people who are elderly or who have compromised systems/underlying medical conditions. Even though many others outside of those two predominant groups have or have had it most recover just fine. Generally speaking, while indeed contagious and no doubt a present crisis i don't see this coming to near the staggering death toll numbers of the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak though bear in mind that happened over a century ago when medical technology was at a far less capable level compared to the present, in addition to coming as the world was still mired in the nightmare of the First World War.

Yeah, the entertainment side will be indeed be set back for a while due to this thing but i don't see it going down the drain nor the economy either.
Exactly, personally i'm not overly concerned about the virus itself. I'm far more concerned about all the people that could lose their jobs over all the closures and also Asians that are getting physically assaulted because of xenophobia.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:29 am

This is going to be disgusting, but I wonder if the coronavirus is going to increase the chances of Ocean Kai airing in Canada on account of it being "new" content while current and upcoming programming gets postponed or cancelled left and right. I mean, sure, it's only one show, but still.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 am

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:18 amThe NYTimes report I saw said the number of infected could be greatly reduced if proper measures are taken.
Exactly, IF proper measures are taken. The problem is that a lot of people (especially on the right/conservatives) aren't taken these measures, which is resulting in things getting worse. You've also got the fact that a lot of governments didn't take it seriously at first, resulting in things getting a lot worse than they would've had serious action been taken early.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 amThe entertainment side will be indeed be set back for a while due to this thing but i don't see it going down the drain nor the economy either.
The US's stock market lost over a 3rd of its value in less than a month, and will continue to lose even more as time goes on. The US's economy isn't just going down the drain, it's being flushed down the toilet.

Marvel Studios, one of the biggest studios in America just put everything on hold and shut their door, that kind of drastic measure will take a very long time to come back from. There's talks going on about how bad this is impacting AMC theaters, to the point of them possibly going out of business. The unemployment rate could go up as far as 30%.

As long as Japan and other countries keep things low, they'll recover eventually. Western countries on the other hand, such as Italy, may not come back from this.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:14 am Exactly, IF proper measures are taken. The problem is that a lot of people (especially on the right/conservatives) aren't taken these measures, which is resulting in things getting worse.
It's even worse than that; there are a shitload of people who actively believe that this is nothing but "a slightly more dangerous version of the common cold that will only endanger the elderly and people with medical conditions like AIDS." There are far too many people reporting in on social media that their family members are actively trying to downplay the seriousness of the virus and get others to "calm down" by trying to convince them that it isn't remotely a risk to most people and that everyone is just over-reacting.

There are idiots actively defying quarantine and travel bans because they aren't going to let something as little as a global pandemic stop them from going on and enjoying the vacation they paid for months in advance and it sure isn't going to stop them from swimming in hotel pools.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:45 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 amIt's even worse than that; there are a shitload of people who actively believe that this is nothing but "a slightly more dangerous version of the common cold that will only endanger the elderly and people with medical conditions like AIDS." There are far too many people reporting in on social media that their family members are actively trying to downplay the seriousness of the virus and get others to "calm down" by trying to convince them that it isn't remotely a risk to most people and that everyone is just over-reacting.

There are idiots actively defying quarantine and travel bans because they aren't going to let something as little as a global pandemic stop them from going on and enjoying the vacation they paid for months in advance and it sure isn't going to stop them from swimming in hotel pools.
I've been seeing all this and can't even begin to think what's going through their heads. It can't be ignorance as this thing has been on every channel and website. You've got doctors begging everyone to stop acting out and just stay home, as they're making their already very hard lives even harder. I know this is cruel, but I wouldn't blame doctors if they just packed their bags and left everyone to fend for themselves. If people refuse to do the bare minimum of just staying home, why should these doctors care about them ?

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:45 am I've been seeing all this and can't even begin to think what's going through their heads. It can't be ignorance as this thing has been on every channel and website. You've got doctors begging everyone to stop acting out and just stay home, as they're making their already very hard lives even harder. I know this is cruel, but I wouldn't blame doctors if they just packed their bags and left everyone to fend for themselves. If people refuse to do the bare minimum of just staying home, why should these doctors care about them ?
It very much is a case of ignorance. People don't trust anything the government or news say anymore regardless of what is being said. There's also an alarming number of people who actively don't trust doctors and scientists, with many idiots believing that we're being secretly chipped or given diseases to control the growth of population.

I've heard at least 2 people try to purpose the idea that the global pandemic is just a guise to enforce a lock down in order to keep the populace distracted while the governments do some super shady shit they otherwise couldn't do with everyone on the streets.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 am

As a historian who is also currently under quarantine with a respiratory infection (and kidney stones, just for fun, on top of that,) entertainment is an incredibly important industry right now.

Entertainment is the only chance that these lockdowns have to succeed. It's the social lubricant that can keep social distancing working. If people don't get there shows, movies, porn, books, games, internet whatevers, they'll rapidly move to fill in that free time with stuff that'll make them violate quarantine. The human mind is not equipped to handle months of unending boredom. It'll snap.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:57 am At this point, I'd be more surprised if production on any TV show or movie hasn't ground to a complete halt for the time being. If they haven't, they absolutely should because no need for entertainment or desire for money is worth being inactive in the fight to curb and eradicate this virus.

Also, someone drew a fantastic piece of Future Trunks giving the coronavirus the old Mecha-Freeza treatment. It's on Reddit somewhere.
Animation is in an interesting situation. the drawing can be done from anywhere really and sent in, and the vocal recordings. Long as you got a good mic you can record them from home, tom kane does/did this, and sftp them to the mixer. who also can work from home.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 amAs a historian who is also currently under quarantine with a respiratory infection (and kidney stones, just for fun, on top of that,)...
I don't know if this is any good for the kidneys, but raw garlic will either get rid of whatever respiratory issue you have or massively reduce it.
10gigtriforce wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 amAnimation is in an interesting situation. the drawing can be done from anywhere really and sent in, and the vocal recordings. Long as you got a good mic you can record them from home.
I think Sean Schemmel and other Funimation voices already send their work in from home, at least part of the time.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 amAs a historian who is also currently under quarantine with a respiratory infection (and kidney stones, just for fun, on top of that,)...
I don't know if this is any good for the kidneys, but raw garlic will either get rid of whatever respiratory issue you have or massively reduce it.
10gigtriforce wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 amAnimation is in an interesting situation. the drawing can be done from anywhere really and sent in, and the vocal recordings. Long as you got a good mic you can record them from home.
I think Sean Schemmel and other Funimation voices already send their work in from home, at least part of the time.
sean lives in cali and funimation is in texas so I'm sure he probably does.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 am

Not everyone has a mic at home. I've never heard of a anime being recorded like that, at least. Typically they want the series director to be able to directly comment on the recording.

Re:Zero delayed it's second season to July over the COVID-19 fears, so I wouldn't be surprised if other projects get delayed, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter