Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Matches Malone
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:46 pm
I hate to sound ignorant, but I've avoided the news the past few days cause its depressing. What is he planning to do?
Long story short, after April 12th, he expects everyone to go back to work and essentially put up with whatever's going on at the time. If you get sick and can't work, it's your problem. To make things worse, he has support from conservative people and law makers across the country. Like people said back in 2016, elections have consequences, and America is going to learn that the hard and deadly way.

User avatar
Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm
Ultimately it does not matter what he says as he can't force states to allow businesses to re-open if they don't want to.
Yeah, but let's be real here, if he made an official announcement that it was ok to reopen businesses and go back to work, the number of companies that aren't going to jump on it are very few.

We already have shitbird companies like Gamestop, who deemed themselves "essential business," (because, and I quote, "Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time," which is obviously bullshit because 90% of their stores exclusively carry consoles, games for those consoles, and merch related to gaming and other "nerd" brands) and were refusing to close their stores across the country until yesterday when the whole world basically snapped off on them. They've even started circulating scripts and instructions for employees to refer to when police try to force them to close, one of the first questions on there being "am I being detained?"

Just think of all the businessmen who put their own financial interests above the wellbeing and safety of their employees. Those guys are absolutely going to jump the moment Trump gives the "official all-clear" to reopen stores and resume business as normal. They're also the guys who are more likely to lay off anyone who doesn't immediately come back to work because they aren't stupid and refuse to leave quarantine early or fire someone in the hospital while they're sick.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13169
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:24 am

"Fuck your grandma, gimme that cash!" -- Capitalism
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

User avatar
Matches Malone
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 am
Let's be real here, if he made an official announcement that it was ok to reopen businesses and go back to work, the number of companies that aren't going to jump on it are very few.
It's up to each individual state to make their own rules to hold the line until (hopefully) Joe Biden can be voted in office. That's of course no small order, as that won't be until November, so having the white house and federal government working against them for 7+ months isn't going to be easy. NY needed 30000 ventilators but the feds only sent them 400. WA needed 1000 beds, but only got 148. Like I said, it's going to be very difficult to hold on until November.

User avatar
Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 am
Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 am
Let's be real here, if he made an official announcement that it was ok to reopen businesses and go back to work, the number of companies that aren't going to jump on it are very few.
It's up to each individual state to make their own rules to hold the line until (hopefully) Joe Biden can be voted in office. That's of course no small order, as that won't be until November, so having the white house and federal government working against them for 7+ months isn't going to be easy. NY needed 30000 ventilators but the feds only sent them 400. WA needed 1000 beds, but only got 148. Like I said, it's going to be very difficult to hold on until November.
That's true, but we also have to keep in mind that our state senators and other politicians are just as in corporate pockets as Trump is. If he says "go," the corporations are more than likely either going to ignore states that claim otherwise or straight up bribe officials to get the doors back open.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14017
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm
Matches Malone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:34 pm
Hang in there! I hope it's not gona be much longer.
I don't know about anywhere else, but if Trump goes through with whatever he's been talking about these last 2 days, then the US is going to make Italy and China look good. I just hope congress and governors can sideline him and do what's right for the people, because he's going to hang everyone out to dry. He's already started with New York.
Thankfully it's not up to him as to whether or not businesses will have to re-open right away, that's up to the states themselves. My state certainly isn't going to re-open restaurants before April 7th.
I doubt he will have things go back to normal in the next three weeks and I always take things with a grain of salt when it comes to Trump. I don't think things will go back to normal until May at the earliest. Back to Dragon Ball, I do think the CV could get in the way for future DB projects like a new possible anime movie or a return of Super. I think Toyotarō and Toriyama can easily still work on the Super manga while they are at home because you can send images digitally via e-mail.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Matches Malone
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:46 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 am
I do think the CV could get in the way for future DB projects like a new possible anime movie or a return of Super.
Despite things being better in Japan than other countries, DB is a massive international franchise that will suffer if its movie can't be played in international theaters. With that said, the movie's probably not planned to release until late 2021, so hopefully things will be back to normal by then.

Witty User Name
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Witty User Name » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 am

Maybe off-topic (Mike and co. can warn me if they think it's appropriate), but is COVID-19 worse a pandemic than H1N1 back in 09-10?

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5944
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:42 am

Witty User Name wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 am
Maybe off-topic (Mike and co. can warn me if they think it's appropriate), but is COVID-19 worse a pandemic than H1N1 back in 09-10?
Much much worse. It's the worst since 1918, potentially.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Matches Malone
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:48 am

Witty User Name wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 am
Maybe off-topic, but is COVID-19 worse a pandemic than H1N1 back in 09-10?
What makes it worse is the rate it spreads in. Although a bad virus is dangerous, it can still be treated. The problem is that this one is spreading to tens of thousands per day, resulting in country health systems collapsing. That's not to say H1N1 wasn't spreading, but nowhere near this fast or to as many people.

Witty User Name
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Witty User Name » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 am

I see, guys. Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am

Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 am
Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 am
Let's be real here, if he made an official announcement that it was ok to reopen businesses and go back to work, the number of companies that aren't going to jump on it are very few.
It's up to each individual state to make their own rules to hold the line until (hopefully) Joe Biden can be voted in office. That's of course no small order, as that won't be until November, so having the white house and federal government working against them for 7+ months isn't going to be easy. NY needed 30000 ventilators but the feds only sent them 400. WA needed 1000 beds, but only got 148. Like I said, it's going to be very difficult to hold on until November.
That's true, but we also have to keep in mind that our state senators and other politicians are just as in corporate pockets as Trump is. If he says "go," the corporations are more than likely either going to ignore states that claim otherwise or straight up bribe officials to get the doors back open.
Not EVERY single politician is deep in corporate pockets though and there are plenty of businesses who won't want to take the massive PR hit from re-opening in the middle of a pandemic, so i'm not too worried. My governor(Pritzker) certainly is no fan of Trump and is not at all keen on the idea of re-opening non-essential businesses so soon, he's certainly not going to do it just cause agent orange said so. Many people are now realizing that Trump is largely full of hot air and realizing that it's best just to ignore what he says.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13169
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am
Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 am


It's up to each individual state to make their own rules to hold the line until (hopefully) Joe Biden can be voted in office. That's of course no small order, as that won't be until November, so having the white house and federal government working against them for 7+ months isn't going to be easy. NY needed 30000 ventilators but the feds only sent them 400. WA needed 1000 beds, but only got 148. Like I said, it's going to be very difficult to hold on until November.
That's true, but we also have to keep in mind that our state senators and other politicians are just as in corporate pockets as Trump is. If he says "go," the corporations are more than likely either going to ignore states that claim otherwise or straight up bribe officials to get the doors back open.
Not EVERY single politician is deep in corporate pockets though and there are plenty of businesses who won't want to take the massive PR hit from re-opening in the middle of a pandemic, so i'm not too worried. My governor(Pritzker) certainly is no fan of Trump and is not at all keen on the idea of re-opening non-essential businesses so soon, he's certainly not going to do it just cause agent orange said so. Many people are now realizing that Trump is largely full of hot air and realizing that it's best just to ignore what he says.
Pritzker works for the same people: big donors. He's corrupt.
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

User avatar
Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am
Not EVERY single politician is deep in corporate pockets though and there are plenty of businesses who won't want to take the massive PR hit from re-opening in the middle of a pandemic, so i'm not too worried. My governor(Pritzker) certainly is no fan of Trump and is not at all keen on the idea of re-opening non-essential businesses so soon, he's certainly not going to do it just cause agent orange said so. Many people are now realizing that Trump is largely full of hot air and realizing that it's best just to ignore what he says.
If not every politician, close to it. I can think of really only think of 1 presidential or senatorial candidate in the last 30 years that doesn't accept money from big corporations in exchange for playing ball and making things easier for companies and harder for employees.

It's less "because Trump said so," and more "because the people paying for next term's campaign ads through "donations," want the doors back open so they can get back to siphoning every dollar out of American wallets." For every day we remain in quarantine, the shareholders who pay for election campaigns with donations lose millions of potential revenue.

Yeah, we may get some states that actively refuse to comply with Trump's "orders" to reopen businesses, but there are going to be the unfortunate people who don't like in your state or live in a pro-Trump state that won't have any option but to comply or lose their jobs permanently. Likewise, shithole companies like Gamestop or all the others who weren't or aren't doing anything to protect their employees during this are absolutely going to jump the first time they get a hint that they can open back up and force people back to work.

A lot of the psychopaths running companies in America don't give a shit about the health or well-being of their employees and will actively endanger or put them at risk if it means making so much as 10% more for shareholders than they did last year.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6098
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm

It's been really stressful, seeing so much misinformation spreading (and getting reprimanded for countering it on a Transformers forum recently, because someone was making the boneheaded statement that Trump took care of the virus early, and it would be gone in a couple of weeks, but while my rebuttal was deleted, his blind praise was allowed to stand...), and just feeling kind of bad because I've been waiting since 2008 for a US President to give me socialized healthcare (since I turned 18. I have never had heath insurance, and the ACA wouldn't let me on my Dad's plan until 26, even though it apparently let everyone else in the nation be on it, because I didn't go to college to be swamped with massive debt, even though nobody ever mentioned that stipulation, ever!), and now our seemingly last chance for that has lost. I'm sure Trump will beat Biden and stack the Supreme Court, leading to a real "Dark Ages" of sort for the next 40 years.

Plus, the virus itself has done a number on my depression, because I'm stuck in the house and can't let my brother visit, because I live with my elderly Father, and my brother works at Wally World, where he's subject to hundreds of customers a day, so he's just too high risk, and that's so frustrating.

I know none of this has anything to do with Dragon Ball, but I did start showing my Dad the Saban/Ocean cast dub of Dragon Ball Z so he could see how I watched the series for the first time. RIght now I've moved back to the orange bricks (the first way I showed him the series, back when they were released) to show him the Faulconer scored version that's mostly the same thing I watched as a kid (and I explained him the discrepancies).

At least, sharing my nostalgia for Dragon Ball with my father has been a good time through this mess.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 am
Planetnamek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am
Not EVERY single politician is deep in corporate pockets though and there are plenty of businesses who won't want to take the massive PR hit from re-opening in the middle of a pandemic, so i'm not too worried. My governor(Pritzker) certainly is no fan of Trump and is not at all keen on the idea of re-opening non-essential businesses so soon, he's certainly not going to do it just cause agent orange said so. Many people are now realizing that Trump is largely full of hot air and realizing that it's best just to ignore what he says.
If not every politician, close to it. I can think of really only think of 1 presidential or senatorial candidate in the last 30 years that doesn't accept money from big corporations in exchange for playing ball and making things easier for companies and harder for employees.

It's less "because Trump said so," and more "because the people paying for next term's campaign ads through "donations," want the doors back open so they can get back to siphoning every dollar out of American wallets." For every day we remain in quarantine, the shareholders who pay for election campaigns with donations lose millions of potential revenue.

Yeah, we may get some states that actively refuse to comply with Trump's "orders" to reopen businesses, but there are going to be the unfortunate people who don't like in your state or live in a pro-Trump state that won't have any option but to comply or lose their jobs permanently. Likewise, shithole companies like Gamestop or all the others who weren't or aren't doing anything to protect their employees during this are absolutely going to jump the first time they get a hint that they can open back up and force people back to work.

A lot of the psychopaths running companies in America don't give a shit about the health or well-being of their employees and will actively endanger or put them at risk if it means making so much as 10% more for shareholders than they did last year.
Most republicans certainly.

Pritzker works for the same people: big donors. He's corrupt.
[/quote]


Hard disagree there, believe me as someone that's lived through two corrupt democratic governors in IL I get the cynicism, but so far Pritzker has done a lot of good(I.E. legalizing marijuana) so I don't regret voting for him.
Metalwario64 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm
It's been really stressful, seeing so much misinformation spreading (and getting reprimanded for countering it on a Transformers forum recently, because someone was making the boneheaded statement that Trump took care of the virus early, and it would be gone in a couple of weeks, but while my rebuttal was deleted, his blind praise was allowed to stand...), and just feeling kind of bad because I've been waiting since 2008 for a US President to give me socialized healthcare (since I turned 18. I have never had heath insurance, and the ACA wouldn't let me on my Dad's plan until 26, even though it apparently let everyone else in the nation be on it, because I didn't go to college to be swamped with massive debt, even though nobody ever mentioned that stipulation, ever!), and now our seemingly last chance for that has lost. I'm sure Trump will beat Biden and stack the Supreme Court, leading to a real "Dark Ages" of sort for the next 40 years.

Plus, the virus itself has done a number on my depression, because I'm stuck in the house and can't let my brother visit, because I live with my elderly Father, and my brother works at Wally World, where he's subject to hundreds of customers a day, so he's just too high risk, and that's so frustrating.

I know none of this has anything to do with Dragon Ball, but I did start showing my Dad the Saban/Ocean cast dub of Dragon Ball Z so he could see how I watched the series for the first time. RIght now I've moved back to the orange bricks (the first way I showed him the series, back when they were released) to show him the Faulconer scored version that's mostly the same thing I watched as a kid (and I explained him the discrepancies).

At least, sharing my nostalgia for Dragon Ball with my father has been a good time through this mess.
Highly unlikely Drumpf will win after his colossal fuckups with handling the pandemic, besides it's likely he probably has COVID himself as they've been dancing around whether he's been tested or not and he's been looking much worse then usual lately and with his age and health conditions he definitely won't survive a case of COVID, so him even making it to the end of the year is pretty unlikely.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm
Most republicans certainly.
And most democrats too. Sadly, corporate interests and money have found their way into almost every aspect and crevice of our electoral systems. Unfortunately, neither main political party is innocent of corruption and corporate influences.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... sh-despite

User avatar
Matches Malone
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1012
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm
I'm sure Trump will beat Biden and stack the Supreme Court, leading to a real "Dark Ages" of sort for the next 40 years.
His chances of winning weren't high to begin with but the way he's dealt with this virus has ensured that he won't be beating a paper bag much less Biden. The problem is that the election is 7 months away, while the inauguration is 9 months away, and the country needs new leadership now.
Metalwario64 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm
At least, sharing my nostalgia for Dragon Ball with my father has been a good time through this mess.
DB is a very uplifting story, so that's definitely a good way to pass the time. I plan on starting a re-watch next month or so, but hopefully things will be better by then.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13169
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

Unless bodies start hitting the ground around October or the Democratic Party nominee is Bernie Trump will win a re-election. His popularity with his base is unbreakable and both parties have done a great job of suppressing the left vote through gerrymandering and the primaries. Without the youth vote--which only Bernie carries--the Democratic nominee will be utterly crushed, especially if they try to put Biden up on the stage with Trump. Trump is a killer debater the likes of which we've never seen in the television era. He will eat Biden alive, assuming he can even remember what day the debates are.
She/Her | TFW no DiMA...

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Dragon Ball and COVID-19

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Is this becoming the go-to politics thread, now that the Vic Mignogna thread is closed? If so, I’ll just say one thing before I leave: Bernie Sanders wouldn’t be able to beat Trump any better than Joe Biden could. Older Americans are terrified of the concept of socialism, and they’re the only reliable voters in the country. Hell, people thought that Hillary Clinton was too far left. Trump won in part because people in swing states viewed him as the more moderate of the two. The fact that Sanders has been on record of saying some less than damning things about Fidel Castro certainly doesn’t help.

If anyone wants proof of how much Americans are spooked out the s-word, just look at the 2018 midterms. Progressives displayed a pitiful performance in the election. Most of the gains the Democrats made were because of moderate candidates.

For the record, I’d rather have Bernie Sanders as President over Trump or Biden, but he’s simply not an electable candidate. America is too firmly rooted in capitalist ideals to accept someone like him, and I don’t think the Coronavirus will change that.

Locked