Kuririn Should Have Proactively Died to Protect Gokuu from Freeza

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Kuririn Should Have Proactively Died to Protect Gokuu from Freeza

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am

I was thinking yesterday that when Kuririn dies on Namek he is once again playing a passive role in his death. This felt very repetitive of his first death. It occurred to me that it would have been more fulfilling if Kuririn had taken a blast for Gokuu's sake, rather than just being killed intentionally by Freeza.

Thoughts? Feelings?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kuririn Should Have Proactively Died to Protect Gokuu from Freeza

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am

He wasn’t passive in his first death. He died fighting Tambourine. How is it repetitive?

Piccolo already took a blast meant for Goku it would been repetitive for Kuririn to also take a blast meant for Goku.

Also the entire damn point of Goku’s rage is that Freeza murders Kuririn in cold blood (and as far as Goku knows he aint coming back) if Kuririn dies taking the bullet for Goku it makes Freeza’s actions less horrific.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am He wasn’t passive in his first death. He died fighting Tambourine. How is it repetitive?
I think Krillin only fights Tambourine in the anime. In the manga Goku just finds his body and the announcer lets him know that a winged demon killed Krillin before flying off
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am

No, that death took everyone by surprise, Krillin included. He was screaming for someone to help him.

His death not being proactive doesn't take away its tragedy.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am I was thinking yesterday that when Kuririn dies on Namek he is once again playing a passive role in his death. This felt very repetitive of his first death. It occurred to me that it would have been more fulfilling if Kuririn had taken a blast for Gokuu's sake, rather than just being killed intentionally by Freeza.

Thoughts? Feelings?
As someone already pointed out, Piccolo already took a blast for Goku (in the anime, at least, it's a little more vague in the manga and could be seen as Freeza aiming for Piccolo all along )

But the main reason I think it works better this way is because it's more tragic and sinister. A heroic act would've somehow softened the blow because it elevates the character's death to something honorable. This way it was simply tragic and sinister and cruel. Yes, it would've been great for Kuririn's character, but I think it would take away from the weight of the scene.

To me it's one of the most disturbing scenes in the story.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Michsi wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:19 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am I was thinking yesterday that when Kuririn dies on Namek he is once again playing a passive role in his death. This felt very repetitive of his first death. It occurred to me that it would have been more fulfilling if Kuririn had taken a blast for Gokuu's sake, rather than just being killed intentionally by Freeza.

Thoughts? Feelings?
As someone already pointed out, Piccolo already took a blast for Goku (in the anime, at least, it's a little more vague in the manga and could be seen as Freeza aiming for Piccolo all along )

But the main reason I think it works better this way is because it's more tragic and sinister. A heroic act would've somehow softened the blow because it elevates the character's death to something honorable. This way it was simply tragic and sinister and cruel. Yes, it would've been great for Kuririn's character, but I think it would take away from the weight of the scene.

That and it shows just how ruthless and cold blooded Freeza really is, because having Kuririn merely do something like taking one of Freeza's blasts in self sacrifice in defense of Goku wouldn't have been nearly as effective.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Michsi wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Thoughts? Feelings?

That and it shows just how ruthless and cold blooded Freeza really is, because having Kuririn merely do something like taking one of Freeza's blasts in self sacrifice in defense of Goku wouldn't have been nearly as effective.
Exactly.
Freeza likely did it to torture and break Goku, but instead it pushed him over the edge and brought forth the transformation that led to his defeat, which is a wonderfully ironic.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Thoughts? Feelings?
1. Kuririn isn't strong physically or mentally to jump towards an incoming seemingly fatal blast Frieza fires at Goku. Dude was shitting his pants ever since he saw Frieza the 1st time they touched down on Namek. Plus, it's inconsistent with his character. Krill's is the kinda guy that provides Senzu, screws-up deactivating Android 18, ya know the kinda pedestrian heroic moments. Not straight-up sacrifice

2. Piccolo was shot directly in the manga. Anime played it out as if Piccolo attempted to save Goku...just cuz ya know. Toshio Furukawa is such a bae with TOEI staffs. And Piccolo-san is beloved character both in DBZ & Japan. So it would add more drama. While Krillin would've devalued it. Why? Reason no. 1

3. Krillin's death in Piccolo Arc was off-screen nah? It wasn't shown how exactly the fight ensued. But assuming he gave a fight to Tambourine, Frieza is nother level beast. You don't go expectin Krill's to be some kinda "active" player in face of such omnipotent warlord. Dude has to be passive character. As Frieza himself claimed...do you think 3 ants could defeat a dragon? Plus, felt his death wasn't repetitive. By Frieza Arc, any & every trace of Krillin's death in Piccolo Daimou Arc has been erased, given how Daimou's reincarnation, Piccolo Jr himself is now an essential ally & friend with Krillin.