Favourite self-aware Dragon Ball moments?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Favourite self-aware Dragon Ball moments?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

I suppose "self-aware" is the wrong term here because I'm not talking about fourth wall breaking or overly meta humour. Really I mean those moments where weird little minutae and logistics are brought up in the story. It's hard to explain, but it's those moments where you almost forget that Toriyama had pioneered most of the tropes he was using as he was already, to use TV Tropes speak, "lampshading" aspects of his own story.

For instance, there's tonnes of moments in tournament arcs throughout the series where weird loopholes are exploited and lateral thinking is used, like Roshi destroying the Moon in the 21st Budokai, and the Referee briefly freaks out thinking about all the collateral damage that would realistically cause. Similarly, the fact that all the competitors in the Universe 6 tournament have to take a written exam is weirdly logical for a "battoru manga", and of course Buu is too stupid to even finish it so is disqualified before the fighting even begins.

I feel like I explained this terribly, so just go nuts.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Favourite self-aware Dragon Ball moments?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:29 am

I guess I am confused. When I think self-aware I think Roshi musing to himself that Nam is too serious for a gag anime or Vegeta realizing Arale is from an 80s gag manga.

Don’t know if taking a written exam to participate in the tournament counts as being self aware.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm

This isn't exactly breaking the 4th wall, but Kefla (or was it Caulifla ?) saying it was great to be born a Saiyan due to their limitless potential compared to other races.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Definitely when Black points out to Zamasu that nobody is listening to him, but Zamasu just says that he is so intoxicated by himself and that he doesn't care if he has an audience. That was basically Zamasu giving the middle finger to all the haters who moan about his monologues.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 pm

I think mine is probably the entire Man-Wolf thing in the 22nd Tenkaichi.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Not my favorite, but one not mentioned yet was when Elder Kaioshin excitedly tells Goku he can draw out people's power and Goku tells him it's not that special. Toriyama did it several times before and it's a nice acknowledgement.
to use TV Tropes speak
Lampshading isn't a TV tropes term.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Speaking of Elder Kai, there's also him saying...

"Oh, your ritual was done 5 minutes ago, but things are more dramatic when you wait till the last minute [regarding Super Buu & Gotenks]"
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am

The "second fiddle" retort from Toppo to Vegeta.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:29 am I guess I am confused. When I think self-aware I think Roshi musing to himself that Nam is too serious for a gag anime or Vegeta realizing Arale is from an 80s gag manga.

Don’t know if taking a written exam to participate in the tournament counts as being self aware.
Well, it was admittedly a stretch but it's just extremely strange seeing these characters, including Hit, taking a simple written exam in order to partake in a tournament. For me I guess it's also because the franchise has built up a reputation for meat-headedness so it was nice to see that subverted, even in a fairly minor moment.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 pm

17 interrupting the U2 sailor moon fighters's transformation and getting scolded for it by everyone :lol:
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:30 pm

Super Buu punching Trunks before they could fuse and then he got mad because “you’re supposed to wait for us to transform!”

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 am

If we’re talking fourth wall breaking gags mine is when Kuririn beats Bacterian by realizing he didn’t have a nose. Also in the manga when Goten and Trunks kept messing up the fusion dance and Kuririn calls out Toriyama for using that scene as an excuse to keep using the same panel over and over again.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:39 pm

I know most people seem annoyed by it, but 17 interrupting Ribrianne & co.'s transformation and everyone being confused why he would attack while they are doing their long, drawn out transformation is pretty funny to me.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am

When Goku warned Pan about Haze Shenron most likely hiding his true power and having some kind of transformation as those evil guys always transform multiple times, yet it turned out he actually was extremely weak and had no transformation at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

The English dub of Dragon Ball Z Kakarot has Lunch turn up and Goku say "It's been a while, did someone forget about you?"
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.