How do you ''see'' the forum?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Witty User Name
Banned

How do you ''see'' the forum?

Post by Witty User Name » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Do you view Kanzenshuu as just a way for fun discussion of Dragon Ball, or you consider it academic discussion of the series (a la Tolkien research, for example)? Do you post on/read it just for fun, or something more serious?
Last edited by Witty User Name on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How do you ''see'' the forum?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:07 pm

I think it's meant to be a place for academic discussion. It's certainly why I kept coming here for half my life (I was a fifteen year old girl when I joined and now I'm almost thirty). I think facts and a wide-variety of knowledge should always be the focus of a discussion forum. That isn't to say goofiness isn't allowed, but it's the sort of goofiness to keep the atmosphere fun rather than stifling.

♥♥♥♥♥
♥Julie♥
♥♥♥♥♥
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 pm

I see the forum as a great place for both serious/academic and fun discussion on the franchise in a broad sense with a variety both general and specific topics as a fan of the series. That's what has lead me to really enjoy it in the year that i have been a member here (Wow that long already!!!) and it's been quite interesting in that span of time so far.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 am

I see it as a bit of both, sometimes i'm just looking for some fun lighthearted discussion, other times i'm interested in going more in-depth.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:01 am

Both kinds of topic are discussed so that's how I view it. Sometimes you've got a fun topic about who's your favorite character or arc, while other times topics that go deep into how a part of the franchise is produced.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 am

I see it as a place where I can discuss things about Dragon Ball, cause I am still interested in it even if Super for the moment is over. Usually I make pretty quick answers and don't expect to have a serious and long discussion, but depending on the topic (and obviously the type of person I'm debating with) sometimes I get carried away and write pages and pages.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:08 am

I see it as both, leaning more towards the academic/analytical side. That's kinda par for the course when the norm is that you have to "dig" around to learn about the authentic Dragon Ball, which by its very nature means you're comparing and contrasting with the western adaptations we were all almost certainly more familiar with beforehand. It's the primary reason I frequent this place and check it multiple times per day, and the franchise is an everlasting gobstopper when it comes to discussion points and factoids to discuss (even if most of it is out of a frustrating lack of executing on potential these days).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 am

I second Julie on this; this is an academic place, but the odd goof here and there keeps things fun; sometimes I just want to exaggeratedly gush in the Music section about a soundtrack CD that I just discovered is goddamn amazing. But most of the time, I come here for something a bit more substantive.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 am

I would definitely say this forum leads more towards the academic/scholarly side. As the leading Dragon Ball site on the web I honestly think Kanzenshuu owes it to itself to be taken seriously. There are of course fun topics thrown in the mix, as VegettoEX likes to say "and a little bit of entertainment". Honestly though, ironically I doubt Toriyama intended anyone to ever look as deep into this series as we do :lol:, but because it's a series we all love I don't see why not.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

100% for fun. Having spent over 1/3 of my life at/in academia earning advanced degrees... if academia was really like this forum we'd still be in the 50s technology wise. Probably society-wise too.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Both.

On the one hand, most of the people on this forum are adults, so it's logical that discussions would be more analytical in nature. On the other hand, it's a website about a show/manga aimed at children that was meant to be a fun adventure story, not a deep analysis on the nature of humanity. Quite frankly, I think us Kanzenshuuers have analyzed Dragon Ball more deeply than even Toriyama has.

So, we have a website with mostly deep, analytical discussions about a fun adventure show aimed at children that originated in Japan. Think about how funny (but also cool, don't get me wrong) that is for a moment. It makes me wonder if there's anything similar over in Japan. Like, is there a forum/discussion website in Japan dedicated to deeply analyzing a fun adventure story aimed at kids that originated over here in North America?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:22 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm Both.

On the one hand, most of the people on this forum are adults, so it's logical that discussions would be more analytical in nature. On the other hand, it's a website about a show/manga aimed at children that was meant to be a fun adventure story, not a deep analysis on the nature of humanity. Quite frankly, I think us Kanzenshuuers have analyzed Dragon Ball more deeply than even Toriyama has.

So, we have a website with mostly deep, analytical discussions about a fun adventure show aimed at children that originated in Japan. Think about how funny (but also cool, don't get me wrong) that is for a moment. It makes me wonder if there's anything similar over in Japan. Like, is there a forum/discussion website in Japan dedicated to deeply analyzing a fun adventure story aimed at kids that originated over here in North America?
Kei mentioned once that the reason why he came to Kanzenshuu was because there is no Japanese equivalent. Online Fandom is mostly just on 2ch, I guess.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 am I second Julie on this; this is an academic place, but the odd goof here and there keeps things fun; sometimes I just want to exaggeratedly gush in the Music section about a soundtrack CD that I just discovered is goddamn amazing. But most of the time, I come here for something a bit more substantive.
Before this post of yours, I thought Julie was being sarcastic. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:11 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 am I second Julie on this; this is an academic place, but the odd goof here and there keeps things fun; sometimes I just want to exaggeratedly gush in the Music section about a soundtrack CD that I just discovered is goddamn amazing. But most of the time, I come here for something a bit more substantive.
Before this post of yours, I thought Julie was being sarcastic. :lol:
No, I was being sincere. The community's always been about learning new facts about the franchise while also not taking things too seriously.

She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 pm

I find that there is a lot of cynicism and negativity on the forums. It's kind of depressing sometimes, so I need to take a break from it at times.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:46 pm

Mostly as a place to find suggestive but not explicit pictures of Dragon Ball characters and occasionally to slam my head into a brick wall.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm

No place or community is perfect, but it's either Kanzenshuu or nothing for me. actually to be honest...I don't have a real desire anymore to put my opinion out there because I don't care if someone likes or dislikes something that I do. I mostly just keep my conversations pretty casual and not going too in depth with a lot of stuff anymore. but I view the Forum though as a blessing and curse. We've all discussed everything there possibly is to discuss until something new gets released or rereleased haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 pm I find that there is a lot of cynicism and negativity on the forums. It's kind of depressing sometimes, so I need to take a break from it at times.
The solution to that is to not go into threads where you know other users will say that sort of stuff a lot. Works for me!

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 am

I would consider not just this forum, but the website to have an elite working for the scrubs, who discuss things no different than others, to waste the content on meaningless rules, which are unfortunately kept like bees to an hive. I know that honey is sweet, but it shouldn't be packaged with battle power discussions, because the lore side and out of universe Dragon Ball are much more interesting. Unfortunately, some of us can't acknowledge these things happening, and forget about them when a topic comes up for us to be happy all of a sudden.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:55 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 pm I find that there is a lot of cynicism and negativity on the forums. It's kind of depressing sometimes, so I need to take a break from it at times.
It may not be perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as something like Raddit or a Youtube comment section. At least here you can have a discussion without it turning into a back and forth game of "(insert something here) sucks because I say so". Generally speaking, you've got well thought out arguments here that even if you don't agree with them, you can at least understand where they're coming from.