Other Fictional Characters that would fit in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Other Fictional Characters that would fit in Dragon Ball

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:14 pm

What other fictional characters do you think would fit into Dragon Ball? It could be anything from other anime characters, comic book characters, video game characters, live action movies, novels, TV dramas etc... Also, the reason doesn't have to just come down to power level. It can be any reason.

My picks in no particular order:

Powerpuff Girls: The battles in this cartoon in general, highly resemble DB fights, and I think Buttercup in particular would fit in the best.

King from One Punch Man: Just replace Mister Satan with him. Imagine when Cell was defeated by Gohan, King somehow gets credit for it. :lol: And imagine King accidentally saving the world from Buu by befriending him and playing video games with him. :lol:

Doomfist from Overwatch: Level of power aside, he thematically would fit into DBZ. He would be a good villain for the franchise, and he has the mentality of a Saiyan. He loves to fight just for the sake of it and he has a very darwinistic philosophy, believing only the strong should survive. His goal in his respective universe is to plunge the world into war as he believes it will make humanity stronger.

Kazuya Mishima from Tekken: I don't have much of a good reason. He just looks like Vegeta.

Garou from One Punch Man: Basically just combine the reasons of Kazuya and Doomfist. Although he's not really darwinistic, but he's an interesting villain non-the-less. Again, I'm ignoring level of power here and just focusing on theme.

Spongebob: I would just be curious to see how he and Goku would interact on a friendly basis. Beerus would also probably demand Krabby Patty's from him, or threaten to destroy him. I imagine there would be friction between Beerus and Mr. Krabs too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Other Fictional Characters that would fit in Dragon Ball

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm

I wonder if you are aware Wendel Berzerra from Brazil dubs both Spongebob and Goku.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Part of the issue here is whether a lot of this is fair given that many fictional characters are literally based off of Dragon Ball. Like, take Jasper from Steven Universe. Proud warrior race type alien, inferiority complex toward fusions (another element of that show lifted from DB), really buff with a ton of fucking hair, only cares about fighting, develops a weird relationship with one of the female heroes, is kind of left directionless when their ultra-powerful boss is defeated, et cetera. This list goes on, but when the character is directly inspired by DB, what does it even mean to say they'd fit in DB?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Avatar characters and their abilities

Doesn't need to say much, Avatar, just like in Dragon Ball, it shares a little bit the theme of using specific fighting style. The elements as offensive/defensive are already there, used by some of the Shadow Dragons and Putine. It would be nice to have more of that in Dragon Ball.

Abstract Entities, Living Tribunal and First Firmament

In a way, the abstract entities are already represented in Dragon Ball, through the existence of Kaioshin. Since there is a Kaioshin of Time, we can only wonder if there can be also a Kaioshin of Space and a Kaioshin for every other abstract concept.

I can see Zeno as Living Tribunal, tasked to maintain order and balance throughout the Multiverse and avoiding one Universe to affect the other one or other timeline (like we see in the anime continuity).

Now that Dragon Ball has the Multiverse concept, you could have someone slightly similar to the First Firmament. An ancient being that predates the currently Multiverse and it's here to try to make things get back to what it was. Zarama could play this role.

Janemba is basically a Marvel/DC character in Dragon Ball too. Would be nice if he was the movie villain to get more love. Not some random Saiyan one.

Ben 10

Not much to say, but I think Ben would fit in the Dragon Ball universe. And let's not forget he'd come with Alien X, which may or may not break the "Dragon Ball system". =P

Transformers

Universe 3 is basically the metal Universe or something, isn't it? That's the first thing that came into mind when I first heard that. C'mon, Universe 3 should be where we'd get to see Optimus Prime, Megatron and many other great characters!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.
Kenshiro completely slipped my mind! I was gonna mention him, but somehow forgot about him as I was making the thread!

Grimlock wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm
Abstract Entities, Living Tribunal and First Firmament

In a way, the abstract entities are already represented in Dragon Ball, through the existence of Kaioshin. Since there is a Kaioshin of Time, we can only wonder if there can be also a Kaioshin of Space and a Kaioshin for every other abstract concept.

I can see Zeno as Living Tribunal, tasked to maintain order and balance throughout the Multiverse and avoiding one Universe to affect the other one or other timeline (like we see in the anime continuity).

Now that Dragon Ball has the Multiverse concept, you could have someone slightly similar to the First Firmament. An ancient being that predates the currently Multiverse and it's here to try to make things get back to what it was. Zarama could play this role.

Janemba is basically a Marvel/DC character in Dragon Ball too. Would be nice if he was the movie villain to get more love. Not some random Saiyan one.

I thought about listing Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and Outer Gods, but that might be a bit too outlandish for Dragon Ball. I'm not sure how Dragon Ball would handle having a whole pantheon of cosmic entities.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pm I thought about listing Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and Outer Gods, but that might be a bit too outlandish for Dragon Ball. I'm not sure how Dragon Ball would handle having a whole pantheon of cosmic entities.
It already handles what it's got extremely poorly. Having eldritch monsters outside of time and space would actually be a huge relief, because Toriyama doesn't have to pretend he's writing some consistent hierarchy of gods and deities, it's just raw chaos.

That does bring to mind that any God Tier character (and most of the villains) in Homestuck would fit well with DB's combat, though not in it's storytelling. I could trust Lord English or Her Imperious Condescension to give Goku a good fight, but the trainwreck that would be a dialogue scene between any DB and HS character would be a situation worth observing only for its fascinating badness.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:11 pmI'm not sure how Dragon Ball would handle having a whole pantheon of cosmic entities.
It would probably the same as in Marvel. The entities would be handled when it's required. Until then, I doubt we would even remember about them. For example, Kaioshin of Space would appear in a context that requires him to appear, otherwise just in background or an image involving most/all entities. Other than that, who's Kaioshin of Space again?

When there's a lot of something, just a few of them are handled when it's convenient. Which it's okay, I guess. It's not like you have to do something at once and/or right away. The problem starts when you don't take your time to develop them eventually. Which is one of the major issues in Dragon Ball.

The gods have long been established but even a few decades later, we still don't know much about them. Not to mention what we do know come from outside sources (interviews) and even then we are graced with contradictions (Originally, Shinjins were born from a fruit, but in "recent" news it is said they are born from the grass or something (?), can't remember).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Shazam transformation, gods, magic etc :D

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Lupin seems to fit in with that original Dragon Ball zaniness.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 pm Lupin seems to fit in with that original Dragon Ball zaniness.
Lupin III and gang in the middle of a Red Ribbon Army era Dragon Ball crossover would be fucking insanely awesome. Lunch and Lupin having scenes together would be something else!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:41 am

Puck, Isidro, and Schiercke from Berserk. While Berserk may be the complete opposite of Dragon Ball, those three would fit the setting perfectly. An intelligent young witch constantly vexxed by the insanity around her. A fairy brazenly trolling everyone he trolling. And a petty thief that kinda has no idea what he's doing but why let a little thing like that stop him? The gag where Isidro tries to steal Guts' sword, just barely gets the hilt up, and then Puck jumps onto it flattening poor stupid Isidro even looks like the kinda gag that could slide in perfectly into OG Dragon Ball.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.
Oh god no. Please, keep compelling martial artists away from Goku. He ruins all of them.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:43 am

Light Yagami, Madara, and Thanos 'cause I want to see them interact with Zamasu.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:41 am

I think they with a bit of an art change, Yu Yu Hakusho would fit right in with the Dragon World. Maybe even Pokémon would fit since it also takes place in an unknown time amd Dragon Ball does have all sorts of unrealistic creatures in it. My suggestions are all dated, but I'm not up-to-speed on a lot of anime and I think that's the only genre that could possibly cross over into Dragon world.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Mario and Sonic. :wink:

(Hands up everyone who watched this fever dream of 2006 internet weirdness when it was originally released and completely forgot about it until recently/now)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Superman/Wonder Woman (DC), Netero/Meruem (HXH), Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha)

All these characters are either OP/God-like creatures or fan-favourites. Their inclusions wud progress the series in more than one ways (def more than what Super's been doin😂)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Super Mario Bros
Donkey Kong
Ninja Turtles
Jonny Quest
Looney Tunes
Little Rascals
Tom Sawyer
Little House on the Prairie
Doc Brown
Alvin and The Chipmunks
The Karate Kid

Dragon Ball is really not something I can see outside characters coming into as it seems like it's in its own world and not something that mixes well, but who knows.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Marvel Universe
Star Wars
Street Fighter
YuYu Hakusho
Tekken
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Fairy Tail
My Hero Academia

Mainly its contemporaries and other shonen that were influenced by it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 pm

I'm not so sure. Hokuto Shinken loses it's dramatic effect if the power levels get too high. The Ashura arc was already a bit too "beam spam" for my taste. And the fact that Kenshiro's super stoic personality won't bounce off Gokuu's "let's fight for fun" attitude. (maybe Kasumi works better)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:50 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 pm
I'm not so sure. Hokuto Shinken loses it's dramatic effect if the power levels get too high. The Ashura arc was already a bit too "beam spam" for my taste. And the fact that Kenshiro's super stoic personality won't bounce off Gokuu's "let's fight for fun" attitude. (maybe Kasumi works better)

Hasn't Goku encountered people like that before? Tenshinhan, Hit, Jiren, etc.? He always eventually ends up making friends with them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147