Toriyama Reveals What Inspired Mr. Satan vs. Cell!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Toriyama Reveals What Inspired Mr. Satan vs. Cell!!

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:58 am

Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toriyama Reveals What Inspired Mr. Satan vs. Cell!!

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:30 am

I'd really like a source of Toriyama saying as much.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:30 am I'd really like a source of Toriyama saying as much.
It’s true, I’m friends with him and he told me himself.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:30 am I'd really like a source of Toriyama saying as much.
It’s true, I’m friends with him and he told me himself.
And I have an uncle at Toei who told me that Toriyama did indeed say this.

He also confirmed that Toriyama's favourite Dragon Ball character is Jiren, and he prefers the Funimation dub with the Faulconer score, over any other version; apparently it's a truer representation of his vision than anything else, and all other attempts have just paled in comparison. Says he's been trying to get Toei to just have the Funi cast record and then have Toei animate to it and subtitle it for the Japanese audience, junking the Japanese cast, but Toei keep refusing stubbornly.

... Joking aside, I would be interested to see a source beyond the anecdotal "These look similar". No offense.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

You guys, think about what day it is. There’s no need for citation needed!!!” when it’s clear what this is

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm And I have an uncle at Toei who told me that Toriyama did indeed say this.

He also confirmed that Toriyama's favourite Dragon Ball character is Jiren, and he prefers the Funimation dub with the Faulconer score, over any other version; apparently it's a truer representation of his vision than anything else, and all other attempts have just paled in comparison. Says he's been trying to get Toei to just have the Funi cast record and then have Toei animate to it and subtitle it for the Japanese audience, junking the Japanese cast, but Toei keep refusing stubbornly.
Dang... Toriyama sounds like a pretty rock guy. I wonder what he thought of the Wasserman score and original Ocean cast?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:43 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm And I have an uncle at Toei who told me that Toriyama did indeed say this.

Dang... Toriyama sounds like a pretty rock guy. I wonder what he thought of the Wasserman score and original Ocean cast?
He thinks they're a betrayal of everything his vision ever stood for, and anyone who likes these things are the intellectual equivalent of a negative power level. Clearly, the Funimation cast have always, will always, and are, superior to the Ocean cast in every conceivable way, and the same goes for the Faulconer score over the Wasserman score. This is a fact that Toriyama himself has established. Though he admits that Ocean+Wasserman and/or Ocean+Anitunes is at least better than that awful grandma Goku bullshit they have in Japan.
I believe he told me this all about the same time as he explained the canonical explanations for every plothole in the original run, and gave a concise, consistent, reasonable answer for how all the timelines, power levels, and transformations of the manga, anime, filler, GT, movies, Super, Heroes anime, spinoff manga, and OVAs all fit together.

... I think I just lost eight IQ points writing that out. XD
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Toriyama says that Mister Satan was actually a parody of the society's expectations of men. They're meant to be aggressors and go-get-ers but in reality they're just totally pathetic and ride the coat-tails of queer people who can make their hair blonde.

Source: I slept with a person who knows a girl whose hair dresser once taught dancing lessons to Toriyama's pet cat.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Impressive... Most impressive... Actually, that reminds me of that interview he once gave about the symbolism of "Super Buu vs Kid Buu".

For those not in the know, the anime had Kaioshin talk about how Kid Buu was the strongest form out of all the Buu forms we'd seen. This "mistake" was present in both the English & Japanese versions of the anime, but NOT in the Manga (which said Kid Buu was the most dangerous one out of them all).

However, it wasn't a mistake at all. Actually, Toriyama wanted to add commentary on the nature of "Faith vs Science". "Faith" is when humans choose to submit to the word of a higher authority figure... Even when said "authority figure" says something that seems to fly in the face of all that is logical. In this case, "Kid Buu" represents "Faith", for the anime tells us that he is indeed stronger than Buuhan. Those who live their lives by "Faith" will have no trouble accepting this message.

On the other hand, "Science" is when humans use logic & experimentation to try to decide what is true and right. In this regard, "Super Buu" represents Science, for he could not be beaten by the same warrior that defeated Kid Buu. Goku was more than willing to fight Kid Buu, whereas the mere thought of facing Super Buu scared him to the core. Additionally, Buuhan implemented the combined powers of himself, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, AND Gohan into himself. Vegeta & Goku could not so much as scratch him, until they combined into Vegetto. Therefore, those who operate by "Science" would reject what the anime itself said, and argue that Super Buu was actually the stronger one; Not Kid Buu!

It's alright if you don't believe all this. I wouldn't have believed it myself, had it not been Toriyama himself who told me. It's amazing the amount of hidden depth his works contain, isn't it?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Toriyama also told me who would win in a fight between Goku and Superman. However it was so long ago that I forget what his answer was.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:18 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Kung Pow ruined that movie for me. I keep hearing Oedekerk's stupid voice even in the scenes he wouldn't have been in.

Wait do I have to be in character in this thread?

Um... I heard from Toriyama himself that he wants to go back and replace Umnei no Hi with Linkin Park's Numb. He feels that's much closer to Gohan's true character during the Cell Arc.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 pm

Hah, sucker! You may not be a hard Dragonist, but you're still acknowledging the perspectives of Toriyama's editors. You see, the dragon balls were never meant to be an analog to the genie's lamp. They were simply seven rare balls that make the blood rubies seem as worthless as blood. That's why, although he would never say it out loud, that the Arabic dub done by Spacetoon (or at least Spacetoon's dubs of DB ep 1-52 and DBZ 1-52) represent his vision the closest, even though Oozaru is censored. Other points worth noting is that Trunk's time machine was bait to bring Team Faulconer over to Japan in 1969 so that they could compose Doraemon. That way, Speedy would be unable to dub ANYTHING and women in Malaysia wouldn't be told to speak like Doraemon during the COVID-19 crisis. And in completely unrelated news, Yakko Warner, whom you once had as an avatar, has recently torn off his face ala Unmasked Felix (don't worry, there's no blood or gore involved) in response to being forced to blow up every country that had coronavirus seven grand times.

You're a shill, Robo4900. If you're Alex Jones, then I am Gene Ray. Let me prove to you how Zeno-Sama made the four corner world-- gets sacked AND put in a sack.
Edit: it's passed April 1st. Should this shitshow of a thread stay opened?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 pm Wait do I have to be in character in this thread?
Danfun64 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 pm Edit: it's passed April 1st. Should this shitshow of a thread stay opened?
I kind of wondered that myself. I'll go message VegettoEX and see what he says.