Which of the pre-BoG movie villains would you say was the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thunderbird
Banned

Re: Which of the pre-BoG movie villains would you say was the best?

Post by Thunderbird » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 pm Janemba. Almost everything about him is perfect.
Except for having no personality or motivations. The thing that actually makes a villain.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 pm
Peach wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am
Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:05 am

Wow...first time I'm coming across someone appreciate Garlic Jr
It has some really impressive animation. When Garlic Jr transforms, he actually looks demonic. Really appreciate how it's more martial arts than superpowers. You gotta love how it's a return to form of that classic Dragon Ball mysticism. Demons, not aliens.
I personally liked Garlic Jr more than Frieza in the anime. Maybe it's his voice, his henchmen or his plan, or his feats & his screentime. I was frankly tired with Frieza's 30+ episode of fighting @ Namek. Garlic Jr's brief fight/screentime was whiff of fresh air

Garlic Jr's immortality + demonic race twist was kinda new after repetitive aliens ( Veggie, Frieza). Fights in episodes done by Sato & Shimanuki were dope as usual
I'm not the biggest fan of the saga in the show, but i thought the movie was excellent. I didn't really appreciate it until i watched it subtitled. Garlic Jr's voice is very menacing in Japanese. His transformation almost seems like him unleashing his true form. Amazing how that actor's performance opened my eyes to the other great things about that movie.
VegettoEX wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:58 am Yeah, like what?! Movie 1 is great! :D

I actually really like the angle they went with for Garlic Sr. The First of the Garlics aiming for the role of God, not getting it, and raising a literal Hell army in response. Gives some much-needed lore around "uhh so God just sits up there I guess?"

Totally agreed on the animation, focus on martial arts, choreography, animation, music, etc. A+++ would do business again.
It definitely has this Heaven and Hell dichotomy that i just love. I would love to see them tackle more occult story lines in Dragon Ball again. Or hell. Even see a person who challenged Beerus for the position long ago.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:38 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 pm Janemba. Almost everything about him is perfect.
Except for having no personality or motivations. The thing that actually makes a villain.
He is a deadly being that embodies evil, similar to Majin Boo, Super Boo specifically.

Dude isn't the kind of villain who turns good after some talk-no-jutsu. He'd fck the guy upside down b4 he cud even open his mouth

Given he is a muvie villain with 40 mins screen time max what kinda motivation ur expectin from this sorta villain? Same goes for Broly, Bojack, Kid Boo, Hiru.

Dude has personality though. He seeks out worthy fighters just to play with them & once they're not "playing" anymore, dude'll wipe them out. He also possess mastery over magic & reality warping. Given right circumstances, dude wud wreck havoc across universe & bring Z-warriors to their knees, lethal, deadlier version of Mad Titan Thanos

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:38 pmExcept for having no personality or motivations. The thing that actually makes a villain.
That's why I specifically said "almost", and even went further to explain it at the end of the post. Also, lack of motivation is common among many of the Dragon Ball villains. If they can be categorized as villains, so can Janemba.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Hard choice between Cooler and Broly. Cooler was better written, but he was Frieza rehash, while Broly was fresh idea.
If i were to include "post-BoG" movies then i would probably add Beerus to list as well. New Broly was awful and Golden Frieza was Bio-Broly degree of garbage.

Never was big fan of other movie villains. Janemba was pretty cool but that's it.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Paragus. He's the only antagonist that was written with a sympathetic backstory.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 pm Paragus. He's the only antagonist that was written with a sympathetic backstory.
I always did find it odd that people have always complained about Broly’s grudge against Goku, while Paragus generally seems to get ignored. I agree that Paragus has an interesting backstory, and I would personally argue that he actually enhances Broly as a character. His dynamic with his son in Movie 8 is interesting. It’s partly why I think the sequels really suffered (that and the fact that Broly had almost no dialogue in them).

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:29 pm

In terms of design, they all look really spectacular IMO.

In terms of character, I'd say :
- Coola (Frieza's brother)
- Hirudgeran (one of the rare demons that appear in the saga)
- Bojack (space pirate)
- Zangya (we don't see too many female villains in DB)
- Garlic Jr (a dark counterpart to Piccolo and maybe Vegeta)
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.