Which of the pre-BoG movie villains would you say was the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Which of the pre-BoG movie villains would you say was the best?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm

People have obviously talked to death about Broly, who is easily the most popular movie villain in the franchise, if not the most popular Dragon Ball character not created by Akira Toriyama, but who would you say was your personal favorite (or the one you disliked the least)?

As the title says, this is referring specifically to the villains from the original run of movies, so that excludes Beerus and the current version of Broly (who isn’t really a villain to begin with).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Which of the pre-BoG movie villains would you say was the best?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Two words: Sunglasses vampire.

I rest my case.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 pm

I'm conflicted. Doctor Uirou has such a cool design and backstory. The atmosphere of his move is also really good. I think Coola might be my close second. Coola has that connection to Freeza but I also really like the idea of him thinking of himself as being more disciplined when in reality he is not. I want to see that dynamic played against Freeza.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 pm

Dr. Wheelo.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 pm

Janemba. Almost everything about him is perfect.

• Awesome design •

I really, really like his appearance. It's simple but still manages to be imposing. The purple/lilac color goes wonderfully with red.

• Unique voice •

Unlike the Japanese version, in my dub he was given a sound effect to his voice. I don't know how to explain it but it suits him very well, thus improving even more the character.

• Best techniques this franchise has ever seen •

And finally, his best feature are his techniques. He's basically a Marvel/DC character in the Dragon Ball universe. Able to manipulate mass, create portals with different purposes to them, and the most impressive one, he can even manipulate reality. This dude is the very definition of formidable and if given the right circumstances, no one (well, maybe the angels) is able stand toe to toe with him.

His only issue is the lack of a personality of his own. Since most of movie villains were rehash of the ones Toriyama did in the manga, Janemba is largely based on Majin Buu, unfortunately (he's still better than Majin Buu, though). But hey, if a crap villain like Broly can get yet another movie and a better personality (relatively speaking), then so can Janemba to get rid of this only problem and make him the ultimate villain (then again, if he were to get a proper personality, maybe he wouldn't have to be a villain anyway).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:30 pm

I liked Cooler the most. He was always calm and confident, and is the villain of my favorite movie pre-BOG. He also has an epic 5th form design.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Yeah it's probably between Garlic Junior and Uiro for me, as I feel they had the most to work with. I like Coola as well. And yes, honorable mention goes to Lucifer for his battle with Goku while wearing sunglasses. 8)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:22 pm

Dr. Willow was a nice proto Gero (I wonder if he was the inspiration for Gero?)

You can’t beat a sunglasses wearing vampire named Lucifer with Wolverine hair.

I liked Tullece in concept just wish the movie had more time to explore “dark mirror image of Goku”’other than oh he looks like him and has the same voice actress.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm People have obviously talked to death about Broly, who is easily the most popular movie villain in the franchise, if not the most popular Dragon Ball character not created by Akira Toriyama, but who would you say was your personal favorite (or the one you disliked the least)?

As the title says, this is referring specifically to the villains from the original run of movies, so that excludes Beerus and the current version of Broly (who isn’t really a villain to begin with).
I find Great 4 boss villains: Piccolo Daimou, Frieza, Cell & Kid Boo to be fantastic, in terms of design, talented seiyuu voicing them, their feats, simply superb

As far a muvies go, I think I'd say Broly aside, Janemba is dope. I kinda dig Bojack as well & all his minions: Kogu, Bujin, Bido. All have their distinct characterizations & kick-ass fights. And Cooler as well. And boi they delivered. Which I feel anime villains nowadays lack...more philosophical talks, less action...say more, show less

Least fav gotta be Super Android 13 lol. I mean, even Bojack, Broly, Hiru were destructive mindless beasts, but there's a charm, a distinct likable factor to those characters which Super Android 13 didn't. Perhaps Maeda & storyboarder/script writer decided it's their final outing for Z hence such lackluster output. Considerin how M8 onwards had such great storyboard, animation, art etc

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:16 am

I think it'd be easier to name the worst villain: Lord Slug. His henchmen are more interesting than he is. I think the idea of an evil Namekian in the Z era could've gone a long way but he's just a muscled up King Piccolo.

Aside from that, it's hard to pick a favorite as I like a little something out of everyone.

In terms of design alone, Turles and his Henchmen. These are some of the coolest looking villains in the whole series but sadly they're so one dimensional and we barely get anything out of the henchmen aside from a brief fight sequence. Still a badass fight sequence though.

In terms of concept, Androids 13-15 have a lot going for them. An android that fuses with the parts of his destroyed comrades to begin a badass super android. Also blue is my favorite color.

I guess if I had to pick an absolute favorite, it'd be the Movie 2 villains. Willow for his "ugly metal shell" that's actually really badass. Kochin for being one of the most sinister and twisted villains in the franchise... seriously he gives me the creeps. And of course the bio-men for having interesting designs and abilities, namely Kishime (the electric one).

Honorable mentions to Janemba for his design and cool techniques, Kogu for being the only fascinating member of Bojack's gang, including Bojack himself, and Hiroudegarn for being the most unique and horrifying of all the movie villains. Shout out to Garlic Jr and his father, I like how their backstory tied in with Kami and the previous Guardian, even if it was non-canon.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am

Can't decide between Garlic Jr or Bojack Unbound

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:05 am

Peach wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am Can't decide between Garlic Jr or Bojack Unbound
Wow...first time I'm coming across someone appreciate Garlic Jr

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am

Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:05 am
Peach wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am Can't decide between Garlic Jr or Bojack Unbound
It has some really impressive animation. When Garlic Jr transforms, he actually looks demonic. Really appreciate how it's more martial arts than superpowers. You gotta love how it's a return to form of that classic Dragon Ball mysticism. Demons, not aliens.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah, like what?! Movie 1 is great! :D

I actually really like the angle they went with for Garlic Sr. The First of the Garlics aiming for the role of God, not getting it, and raising a literal Hell army in response. Gives some much-needed lore around "uhh so God just sits up there I guess?"

Totally agreed on the animation, focus on martial arts, choreography, animation, music, etc. A+++ would do business again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 pm

...wait...if Garlic Junior is Mazoku...was Senior also a Mazoku? Would a Mazoku want to become god? Was Senior originally a human and only became a Mazoku after losing the throne of god? Was Junior born a Mazoku or a human like his dad? What plans did Garlic Senior have for if he became god?

Remake bait.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am
Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:05 am
It has some really impressive animation. When Garlic Jr transforms, he actually looks demonic. Really appreciate how it's more martial arts than superpowers. You gotta love how it's a return to form of that classic Dragon Ball mysticism. Demons, not aliens.
I personally liked Garlic Jr more than Frieza in the anime. Maybe it's his voice, his henchmen or his plan, or his feats & his screentime. I was frankly tired with Frieza's 30+ episode of fighting @ Namek. Garlic Jr's brief fight/screentime was whiff of fresh air

Garlic Jr's immortality + demonic race twist was kinda new after repetitive aliens ( Veggie, Frieza). Fights in episodes done by Sato & Shimanuki were dope as usual

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 pm ...wait...if Garlic Junior is Mazoku...was Senior also a Mazoku? Would a Mazoku want to become god? Was Senior originally a human and only became a Mazoku after losing the throne of god? Was Junior born a Mazoku or a human like his dad? What plans did Garlic Senior have for if he became god?

Remake bait.
Let's not forget even Piccolo Daimou thought of himself as Mazoku...only to turn out dude belongs to alien race Namekian

And then we have Dabbie who's told to be King of Demon Realm...Mazoku Realm...

If it wasn't for Dabbie, I'd have grouped entire Mazoku clan in Dragon World as merely an act..not necessarily represention of Demon race. Daimou was mindless maniac, who revels in destruction. Garlic Jr is no different. Guess, even Garlic Senior isn't any different.

While it's at least understandable in Nameless Namekian's case to be a God. He merely had evil influences thx to war/evil/darkness he saw while he was stranded on Earth. Whereas in Garlic Senior's case it seems dude is complete maniac, driven by his hunger & thirst to revive Mazoku clan...anime filler even showed dude revived dead souls + had armies of zombies.

Had Garlic Jr became a God, he's have turned entire Dragonworld into Mazoku. Dat much is sure lol. Wonder how the story would've progressed had it happened? Would Raditz/Nappa/Veggie straight-up exterminate mankind now dat Goku/Piccolo/Z fighters are all evil or how?

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:55 pm

I pretty much like them all, but I think my favorite really is Coola.

My most favorite thing about him is how Ryusei Nakao switched from sarcastic, and mocking sounding Freeza, to someone who is much more direct, and serious.

In fact, as much as Freeza is iconic DB villain in general, I still like Coola more.
IMO, his 5th form is much more creative, than Golden Freeza.

Another one is Wheelo...
I saw him for the first time 2 - 3 years ago, during my big DB marathon (watched movies, OVAs, and specials between the episodes that originally aired in Japan, at the time of their theatrical release), and I thought he was a really cool DB bad guy.

Janemba probably has one of the coolest techniques in franchise.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:51 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 pm ...wait...if Garlic Junior is Mazoku...was Senior also a Mazoku? Would a Mazoku want to become god? Was Senior originally a human and only became a Mazoku after losing the throne of god? Was Junior born a Mazoku or a human like his dad? What plans did Garlic Senior have for if he became god?

Remake bait.
Let's not forget even Piccolo Daimou thought of himself as Mazoku...only to turn out dude belongs to alien race Namekian

If it wasn't for Dabbie, I'd have grouped entire Mazoku clan in Dragon World as merely an act..not necessarily represention of Demon race. Daimou was mindless maniac, who revels in destruction. Garlic Jr is no different. Guess, even Garlic Senior isn't any different.
Piccolo was probably originally supposed to be based on classic JRPG last boss demon king trope, since, after all, most of his sons were pretty much devils themselves.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Vijay wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Remake bait.

Piccolo was probably originally supposed to be based on classic JRPG last boss demon king trope, since, after all, most of his sons were pretty much devils themselves.
I wouldn't be sure to call his son's as demons/devil's. Sure, dats what Daimou calls them..I mean look at them.

Piccolo Jr/MaJunior = mild, relatively tame version of Daimou

Cymbal = Flying dragon/dinosaur

Tambourine = Dragon-esque warrior

Drum = another fatass dinosaur-esque warrior

I would've liked an equally menacing & maniac son as Daimou himself... wud've been dope

To watch Goku/Tien/Yamcha go-up against equally badass version of Daimou wud be a fight for ages...