Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14070
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm

I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I still consider the 2013 Oldboy movie to be the worst Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga in my opinion. It's a shitty whitewash movie from Spike Lee and Spike Lee made amazing movies. Unlike Ghost in the Shell 2017 and DBE, those movies were made by directors who had no good movies under their belts.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm
I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I still consider the 2013 Oldboy movie to be the worst Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga in my opinion. It's a shitty whitewash movie from Spike Lee and Spike Lee made amazing movies. Unlike Ghost in the Shell 2017 and DBE, those movies were made by directors who had no good movies under their belts.
I never really got the hate for the Oldboy remake, I thought it was pretty good for what it was, Samuel L Jackson gives a damn strong performance and that hallway fight scene was pretty epic.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14070
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:47 am
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:41 pm
I never bother with The Last Airbender because I never cared for the Avatar: TLAB franchise. From what I've seen, DBE is a better movie because DBE was going to be awful, to begin with, and has a cheesy B movie vibe to it. With The Last Airbender, it had better special effects and it was made by a director who has made a couple of decent movies before. I consider big budget bad movie worse than bad movies with smaller budgets because you have higher hopes for a bigger budget movie. Even with Transformers movies, you hope for something watchable because it had a big crew that put a lot of time and effort into it.

I still consider the 2013 Oldboy movie to be the worst Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga in my opinion. It's a shitty whitewash movie from Spike Lee and Spike Lee made amazing movies. Unlike Ghost in the Shell 2017 and DBE, those movies were made by directors who had no good movies under their belts.
I never really got the hate for the Oldboy remake, I thought it was pretty good for what it was, Samuel L Jackson gives a damn strong performance and that hallway fight scene was pretty epic.
It's a pointless and bad adaption in my opinion with the story, script, action, actors, direction. The hallway fight was cool and that was about it. They also whitewash it by having Josh Borlin when there is so many other East Asian actors that would have been perfect as Shinichi Gotō/Oh Dae-su. Seeing Spike Lee go from Do the Right Thing to this movie felt sad to see.

With DBE, it was directed by the guy who did Final Destination. That was already a red flag when it was announced that James Wong was going to directed it.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6466
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm

To be fair, a few of the Final Destination movies are pretty decent in their own right. At the very least there's a lot of great visual effects work, none of which went into DBE :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
PhoenixEX
Regular
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am
Location: New York

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm

If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

As for the topic at hand? I'd say that I enjoyed Dragonball Evolution more than The Last Airbender, however, not by much. Both were shitty films, but one (in my opinion) was just a tiny bit less shitty. With that said, I'd be down for a different studio to give a live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball another chance. Netflix is investing in a live-action adaptation of Avatar: TLA, and I'm holding onto hope for that one.
One World. 🌐 🕊

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm
If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

I feel like I’m not missing out and I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3868
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Actually no. There are people who hate all those shows and LOVE Avatar. I can confirm that.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 pm
Actually no. There are people who hate all those shows and LOVE Avatar. I can confirm that.
Avatar: TLA has fans even amongst people who do nothing but read literary fiction. It's very unusual for a cartoon show to have such broad appeal and I gotta figure that black magic was involved.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6353
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm
I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv
Never watched any of those series except for one saga of One Piece.

Avatar The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are a must see.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm
PhoenixEX wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm
If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

I feel like I’m not missing out and I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv
I don't think you're missing too much either, yeah the show looks great but it never really hooked me and I certainly don't hold it on as high of a pedestal as people like Mr Enter do.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6135
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm
PhoenixEX wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 pm
If you've never seen Avatar: The Last Airbender then you are missing out. I recommend you sit down and watch it because it's definitely a special piece of art.

I feel like I’m not missing out and I get the feeling the people who consider Last Airbender to be must see tv are the same people who consider MHA, One Piece, and Steven Universe must see tv
You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am
You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Nothing. Some folks just like to hate. You can share some of the most well crafted story telling ever written and I can guarantee you someone is going to show up to bitch.

Hell, once on a DnD subreddit I started a rememberance thread for Ursula Le Guin and my first two comments were people saying they thought she was overrated. Don't ever expect much from people.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:03 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 am
You really come off as a snob sometimes. I've never even seen SU and mostly follow the manga for the other two, but what is so wrong with them?
Nothing. Some folks just like to hate. You can share some of the most well crafted story telling ever written and I can guarantee you someone is going to show up to bitch.

Hell, once on a DnD subreddit I started a rememberance thread for Ursula Le Guin and my first two comments were people saying they thought she was overrated. Don't ever expect much from people.
I've been called more names then I can count just for daring to admit to liking the Michael Bay Transformers movies, so I feel your pain.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3868
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 am

You are really interesting you know. I like the way you think.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14070
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Funny to think The Last Airbender is worse than DBE, but it ends up making more money at the box office even though Dragon Ball is a bigger brand name. I guess M Night's name is a bigger box office draw than anyone in DBE.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm
Funny to think The Last Airbender is worse than DBE, but it ends up making more money at the box office even though Dragon Ball is a bigger brand name. I guess M Night's name is a bigger box office draw than anyone in DBE.
I think timing and ad budget were what tipped the scales. TLA was released only a few years after the cartoon had wrapped up whereas Evolution came out decades later when fan interest was at a nadir. TLA also had a full media blitz before release. But the ratios aren't that different. Evolution cost $30 million to make and made $59 million at the box office whereas TLA cost $150 million and made $319 million. And if you factor in the goals of each movie Evolution comes out the winner as the Dragon Ball brand wasn't hurt by it. TLA was meant to launch a whole fantasy epic akin to the LotR films which clearly did not happen.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 pm

The fact that TLA managed to cross $100 million domestically, and $300 million worldwide, despite receiving reception on the level of Battlefield Earth, is a great indication of just how much Shyamalan and Paramount completely botched what could’ve been a goldmine for them. If the movie had been any good, it probably would’ve done well enough to justify a trilogy.

As far as DBE is concerned, it’s not too difficult to see why it made so little money in comparison. Fox had virtually no faith in the film to begin with. I distinctly recall there having been very little promotion for the movie at all. The fact that the movie was clearly made on a low budget certainly didn’t help. Unlike TLA, which tried to give off the appearance of a LotR style epic, DBE just looked like a cheap Kung Fu film.

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2722
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 pm

I'd say it's worse. Everytime I think of Justin Chatwin's performance, I just cringe. And Ernie Hudson, why do you keep popping up in horrible movies, man? I guess he needed a paycheck. Chow Yun-fat was at least a decent choice for Roshi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6466
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:25 am

I mean, at least The Last Airbender tried to be faithful to the source material but just did it in the clumsiest way possible. Dragon Ball Evolution is almost completely alien to the original in every way possible; might as well have been a generic mid-00s coming of age action movie with Dragon Ball names and pieces of lore slapped onto it at the last second.

Like, on surface level, you can look at a couple of clips from The Last Airbender and actually recognize it as an Avatar adaptation. Could you do that for DBE at ANY point besides like, one Master Roshi scene?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

MyVisionity
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 am

Dragonball Evolution didn't have to be a faithful adaptation, it just had to be a good movie. Unfortunately, that is where it ultimately fails. It's not the changes from the source material that doomed it, it's pretty much everything else.

Post Reply