Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:48 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 pm
The fact that TLA managed to cross $100 million domestically, and $300 million worldwide, is a great indication of just how much Shyamalan and Paramount completely botched what could’ve been a goldmine for them.
It shows that with the right amount of care, anime based movies can be just as successful as any other movies. I just wish Hollywood would realize that and start giving them the attention they deserve.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6481
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Better I would say because with Evolution, people at least knew it was going to suck and its suckiness is sorta an art form. The Last Airbender looked promising but was just bad (not even enjoyable bad either).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

User avatar
ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by ssjjanemba » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:31 pm

DBE was a pretty funny movie. Only watched it once, and i dont have any plans on watching it again.
Hi

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:48 am
WittyUsername wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 pm
The fact that TLA managed to cross $100 million domestically, and $300 million worldwide, is a great indication of just how much Shyamalan and Paramount completely botched what could’ve been a goldmine for them.
It shows that with the right amount of care, anime based movies can be just as successful as any other movies. I just wish Hollywood would realize that and start giving them the attention they deserve.
Kinda off topic but Hollywood has been. Anime is how we got Inception and Black Swan which were two very well received movies (even if weeb trash like me insists they're not nearly as good as Paprika or Perfect Blue). Hollywood is paying attention but only in as far as they can take a really good piece of anime and "adapt" it into a more Western story*. Which is what it's been doing since forever with Japanese films.

*I remember catching a movie on Netflix that was clearly an adaptation of Elfen Lied but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. I don;t ever want to watch it again but I do wish I could remember the name for conversations like this.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women are the only reasons to get out of bed.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2602
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am

^It does seem anime to Hollywood adaptations work best when anime is the inspiration rather than being straight remade.

I do think a direct Hollywood remake of Perfect Blue could work very well though.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am
^It does seem anime to Hollywood adaptations work best when anime is the inspiration rather than being straight remade.

I do think a direct Hollywood remake of Perfect Blue could work very well though.
Especially considering Perfect Blue was originally supposed to be live-action.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Paprika had nothing to do with Inception, FYI. Going by that logic, Nolan took influence from an old Scrooge McDuck comic that had a similar premise. Fair enough for Black Swan though.

User avatar
sailorspazz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: ZamaBlack love shack
Contact:

Re: Would you say Dragonball Evolution is better or worse than The Last Airbender?

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:39 pm

I can fully admit to my opinion being biased when I say that I hate Evolution far more than the Airbender movie. Because while I did watch and enjoy the ATLA series, Dragon Ball is the most important franchise of my fandom, so seeing it being adapted so terribly feels much more insulting, regardless of which may be "better". It's just...not Dragon Ball! They strayed so far from the source material that it has pretty much nothing left of the elements that make the series appealing. It was all stripped away for some shallow drama with a bit of martial arts and cringey "comedy" that falls completely flat with no trace of Toriyama's charm. Just awful all around, and definitely my least favorite adaptation of anything I've ever been a fan of.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Post Reply