Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/skip?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:12 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm
And TBH I always found that viewing option kinda weird anyway
If DB is a show you watch multiples times, then it's an interesting way to experience the series once.
That's fair.

Personally, it seems like kind of a weird half-measure between watching both the Japanese and dub versions. But I suppose it's quite time efficient if you're looking to determine how the versions differ.
I can't speak for anyone else who's done this, but I did it to see how close the scripts were over time and if there were any correlation between the credited dub writer and the accuracy of the dub dialog. The results were weird from what I remember. There was no correlation from what I remember. There would be episodes that were surprisingly close, followed by WTF? There would even be episode where the whole episode would stick close to the source material and for whatever reason, one single scene is loaded with dub-isms.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid - interested in rewatching the series. What series/versions/releases should I pick/sk

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 pm
If DB is a show you watch multiples times, then it's an interesting way to experience the series once.
That's fair.

Personally, it seems like kind of a weird half-measure between watching both the Japanese and dub versions. But I suppose it's quite time efficient if you're looking to determine how the versions differ.
I can't speak for anyone else who's done this, but I did it to see how close the scripts were over time and if there were any correlation between the credited dub writer and the accuracy of the dub dialog. The results were weird from what I remember. There was no correlation from what I remember. There would be episodes that were surprisingly close, followed by WTF? There would even be episode where the whole episode would stick close to the source material and for whatever reason, one single scene is loaded with dub-isms.

I know Dragon Ball’s dub credited the individual writer after the first thirteen but didn’t Z just credit whoever was currently on staff at the time?

From what I recall Ward Perry’s scripts tended to be fairly accurate and Sean Michael Teague scripts tended to be pretty off.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm
That's fair.

I know Dragon Ball’s dub credited the individual writer after the first thirteen but didn’t Z just credit whoever was currently on staff at the time?

From what I recall Ward Perry’s scripts tended to be fairly accurate and Sean Michael Teague scripts tended to be pretty off.
It's worth noting that Ward Perry also wrote the scripts for the Pioneer movie dubs. Not surprising that his work on the series was generally more accurate than a lot of the other people on it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:44 pm

From what I recall there were one or two of SMT's scripts that were really good, but generally yes, he veered off track, wildly sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by crediting whoever was on staff. The name of the writer(s) was on the season sets.

And from my recollection, one of the mirrored ship filler episodes was really close to the original.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:44 pm From what I recall there were one or two of SMT's scripts that were really good, but generally yes, he veered off track, wildly sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by crediting whoever was on staff. The name of the writer(s) was on the season sets.

And from my recollection, one of the mirrored ship filler episodes was really close to the original.
I mean like Dragon Ball would alter the credits at the end of each episode to reflect who wrote the episode: Ward Perry/Chris Neel/Jared Hedges/Sean Michael Teague/Crystal Batten. Where as in DBZ I was under the impression it would show all current writers that were on staff in the end credits rather than which ever writer was responsible for the episode. For example the Namek saga it just gave credit to Terry Klassen, Chris Neel, and Chris Forbis for all episodes rather than any individual writer.

Kalenden

Post by Kalenden » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Wow this thread blowed up!

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it, though some contrasting opinions.

Some things to highlight: I'm non-US so no Funimation for me :-(

Given that, which downloadable/buyable sets would you ultimately recommend can I find to get the recommended DB with good/decent Dubs and Subs?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Kalenden wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:15 pm Given that, which downloadable/buyable sets would you ultimately recommend can I find to get the recommended DB with good/decent Dubs and Subs?
"Good" is controversial, but a decent dub option is Dragon Ball and then Dragon Ball Kai.

For subs, all the releases have good subs, so pick up anything. Though due to the serious video problems, I would strongly advise against picking up DBZ; do Kai instead.

In general, start with the original Dragon Ball and work from there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Always start the story from the beginning. Once you get to GT or Super, then it's optional. I'd still watch both at least once.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:50 am

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 pm Always start the story from the beginning. Once you get to GT or Super, then it's optional. I'd still watch both at least once.
Couldn't agree more.

Toriyama's original story is the core of Dragon Ball, ultimately.
Everything else is extra.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Kalenden wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:15 pm Wow this thread blowed up!

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it, though some contrasting opinions.

Some things to highlight: I'm non-US so no Funimation for me :-(

Given that, which downloadable/buyable sets would you ultimately recommend can I find to get the recommended DB with good/decent Dubs and Subs?

If you didn’t grow up with the Funi dub and hold no nostalgia for it I would say go for the subs

FunimationNow is your best option outside of the fact that it doesn’t have Kai. Blue Rays of Kai should be easy enough to find though (or dvds)

If you remember liking DBZ but hating the pacing and excessive padding definitely check Kai. It’s tremendously flawed but it does what it set out to do. If you don’t recall any issues with the pacing go for Z it’s the better overall product. You can also skip certain episodes if you’re inclined.

Kai and Super have the best English dubs but they’re more serviceable than great. They’re good enough if you prefer dubs but not good enough to recommend if you can go either way.

With the original Dragon Ball (again essential viewing before watching Z or Kai) I would still say at least try the sub. Or maybe sample the dub and sub and see if you have a preference?