Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Hindsight makes Frieza look like a hero for destroying the Saiyans

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Vijay wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:01 pm I'm the kind of guy who considers more than the henchmen, it's the mind that ordered the hit is considered evil.

Saiyans invaded Planet Plant, took it by force from Tuffles & made it their home. Pretty sure it was Frieza/King Cold who ordered Saiyans on mass conquest/genocide across the Galaxy

Not sayin Saiyans were innocent, but pretty sure whatever invasion those barbaric monkey 😂 would've done is considerably on small-scale. It was Frieza's intrusion which made Saiyans atrocities/menace to spread across the universe.
I like this theory/headcanon. Don't know how much textual support there is for it but it makes perfect sense to me that sans Freeza the Saiyans would have spent more time warring amongst themselves than with the galaxy at large. They're a very self-interested species and we know that most civilizations can't even hold their own against a handful of Saiyans. So it's not as if the galaxy was providing better fights for them than what they'd get at home.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:35 am It's not heroism if it's explicitly for the wrong reasons.

There are grades of this along the way. Gohan wants to be a superhero to help people for the right reasons (because it's the right thing to do). Goku often times inadvertently helps people (or, like, saves the planet), but does know it's the right thing to do, and probably would anyway, even if he might have other motivations.

Freeza... uhh... was afraid and just liked committing genocide. That ain't no hero.
I concur with you on that. Zamasu wasn't a hero either.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 pm

I thought it was pretty obvious Frieza is the hero of the DB universe. If not for Frieza, Kakarot would have never been sent to Earth, hit his head and became Goku, who has saved the universe numerous times.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Considering the Saiyans were committing genocide for a living, killing them off in and off itself isn't a bad thing, but Freeza only killed them because of his selfish paranoia. Not to mention he was their boss so he's just as guilty if not more so.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:31 pm

DHM211 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 pm I thought it was pretty obvious Frieza is the hero of the DB universe. If not for Frieza, Kakarot would have never been sent to Earth, hit his head and became Goku, who has saved the universe numerous times.
Pre-Minus Goku’s coming to earth was unrelated to Freeza blowing up planet Vegeta.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:09 pm

You can think of Frieza as a hero but not everyone is going to agree.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:21 pm

It would be like calling Stalin a hero, because he helped beating Hitler :) One mass murderer killed other mass murderers, because he was afraid they will become strong enough to murder him :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:31 pm
DHM211 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 pm I thought it was pretty obvious Frieza is the hero of the DB universe. If not for Frieza, Kakarot would have never been sent to Earth, hit his head and became Goku, who has saved the universe numerous times.
Pre-Minus Goku’s coming to earth was unrelated to Freeza blowing up planet Vegeta.
And even with Minus, Bardock was the reason Goku was sent to Earth, not Freeza (who would have wanted him dead along with every other Saiyan). This makes Bardock the hero, not Freeza.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:31 am

It could be an interesting side story idea, honestly -- Freeza is praised as a hero by a planet for vanquishing the evil Saiyans. Kind of like history being written by the winner. Goku and Vegeta being vilified by them. Then of course, by the end, everything will come to light.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:31 am It could be an interesting side story idea, honestly -- Freeza is praised as a hero by a planet for vanquishing the evil Saiyans. Kind of like history being written by the winner. Goku and Vegeta being vilified by them. Then of course, by the end, everything will come to light.
I’d imagine it would be hard to get good publicity when you’re known across the universe as a tyrant.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:42 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 am If the Saiyan race hosts members so powerful they could destroy the universe or multiple universes, then Frieza wiping them out can be interpreted as an act of heroism.
There's nothing heroic about destroying an entire inhabited planet. Think about it. It's not just Saiyans. There's animals with an ecosystem probably native to planet. Do they deserve to die? There were other alien races inhabiting the planet. There were Saiyan infants that were just born. There were a few good and gentle Saiyans like Goku's mother. Why should they get punished on behalf of other bad Saiyans?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:31 amFreeza is praised as a hero by a planet for vanquishing the evil Saiyans. Kind of like history being written by the winner. Goku and Vegeta being vilified by them. Then of course, by the end, everything will come to light.
What would complicate things even more is if Vegeta attacked said planet before and they demanded him to be held accountable.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:42 pm
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 am If the Saiyan race hosts members so powerful they could destroy the universe or multiple universes, then Frieza wiping them out can be interpreted as an act of heroism.
There's nothing heroic about destroying an entire inhabited planet. Think about it. It's not just Saiyans. There's animals with an ecosystem probably native to planet. Do they deserve to die? There were other alien races inhabiting the planet. There were Saiyan infants that were just born. There were a few good and gentle Saiyans like Goku's mother. Why should they get punished on behalf of other bad Saiyans?
What about when Gohan destroyed the Makyo Star in the Garlic Jr. filler arc?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Yo, hei yo. Chill, why too sentimental?

Despite Frieza blowing up the planet, about 5-7 Saiyans survived & 2 of them have frickin family tree on Earth, unlocking not only Frieza's feared SSJ, but transcended beyond God-like states. Broly is another beast mfker who rivals God if DBS Broly is any indication. So either way, Frieza's attempt to eradicate Saiyans for good blew on his face.

Let's not forget Saiyans are mostly douchebags concerned only abt war & brutality. Bardock & his comrades in original DBZ Special (NOT from DBS), Raditz, Nappa, Veggie, King Veggie were all barbaric & heartless beasts with little to no emotional attachments.

Ur concerned abt newborn Saiyan infants? How sure are you they'd not turn out just as ruthless as Raditz or Nappa? Well, abt animals...I can't comment on it...considerin I've never known or read anything abt animals in Planet Vegeta. But once again, it's karma. Saiyans took the planet by eradicating it's native, original inhabitants Tuffles & Frieza eradicated them.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:55 pm

Vijay wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Despite Frieza blowing up the planet, about 5-7 Saiyans survived & 2 of them have frickin family tree on Earth, unlocking not only Frieza's feared SSJ, but transcended beyond God-like states. Broly is another beast mfker who rivals God if DBS Broly is any indication. So either way, Frieza's attempt to eradicate Saiyans for good blew on his face.

Let's not forget Saiyans are mostly douchebags concerned only abt war & brutality. Bardock & his comrades in original DBZ Special (NOT from DBS), Raditz, Nappa, Veggie, King Veggie were all barbaric & heartless beasts with little to no emotional attachments.

Ur concerned abt newborn Saiyan infants? How sure are you they'd not turn out just as ruthless as Raditz or Nappa? Well, abt animals...I can't comment on it...considerin I've never known or read anything abt animals in Planet Vegeta. But once again, it's karma. Saiyans took the planet by eradicating it's native, original inhabitants Tuffles & Frieza eradicated them.
That doesn't address the point about the minority of good Saiyans like Gine.

Also, it would be hella ironic if its later revealed that Freeza's race was mostly wiped out by Beerus a long time ago.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:55 pm

That doesn't address the point about the minority of good Saiyans like Gine.

Also, it would be hella ironic if its later revealed that Freeza's race was mostly wiped out by Beerus a long time ago.
Yeah but even for a "good" Saiyan, Gine still had no problem with her murderous husband and working to support the system. She's just well-behaved and functional.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:40 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm
I don't think the Makyo Star was a normal planet. It seems supernatural in nature, and is supposedly a planet of pure evil (the name literally translates to "Planet of Evil Demons"). So I doubt it has normal wildlife, or anyone good on it.

Planet Vegeta is a normal planet with naturally occurring lifeforms on it.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:49 am

What are you talking about sentimental? I'm just being real. Planet Vegeta is a naturally inhabited planet with naturally occuring lifeforms. That includes animals and an ecosystem. Blowing it up as a means of eliminated the majority bad saiyans, would not be morally just or heroic, even if that was the intent.

Okay? What's your point here?

Saiyans aren't the only lifeforms that lived on the planet. Also, not all Saiyans are bad.

Ur concerned abt newborn Saiyan infants? How sure are you they'd not turn out just as ruthless as Raditz or Nappa?
So newborns should be punished or killed based on what they might do?

Well, abt animals...I can't comment on it...considerin I've never known or read anything abt animals in Planet Vegeta.
Gine worked in a butcher shop iirc. There's animals.
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:40 pm
Yeah but even for a "good" Saiyan, Gine still had no problem with her murderous husband and working to support the system. She's just well-behaved and functional.
What makes you think she didn't have a problem with it? Bardock and all the other Saiyans were more-or-less, enslaved. They didn't have much choice in the manner in terms of supporting the system. And Bardock even tried to rebel against Frieza.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:15 am

So if that's your logic I guess Zamasu did nothing wrong either.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:40 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm
I don't think the Makyo Star was a normal planet. It seems supernatural in nature, and is supposedly a planet of pure evil (the name literally translates to "Planet of Evil Demons"). So I doubt it has normal wildlife, or anyone good on it.

Planet Vegeta is a normal planet with naturally occurring lifeforms on it.
Well we've seen that even demons aren't all necessarily evil...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147