What English Dub Did the Site watchdbz.tv Use for Dragonball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CityracerGaming

What English Dub Did the Site watchdbz.tv Use for Dragonball Z?

Post by CityracerGaming » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:55 am

This site was the very first place that I watched Dragonball Z, as Dragonball Kai was my original experience with Dragonball. As I have only watched Dragonball Z once, I have decided to go back and rewatch some of the filler. However, I want to use the dub I am familiar with.

I have a few clues that might help. The one thing I remember most vividly is that when Gohan is asked his age at the beginning of the series, he says that he is 5 and 1/2. The only other clue I have is that I think that Gohan was not voiced by Stephanie Nadolny. I believe this is the case, because today I have this quirk where I am so used to Gohan having a different voice from Kid Goku, that I have a difficult time if this is not the case. Still, on this clue I am not 100% sure, maybe 80% sure. So, any ideas?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What English Dub Did the Site watchdbz.tv Use for Dragonball Z?

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 am

That will have been the original USA version, most likely.

Which is actually two versions smashed together.

Episodes 1-53 were made out of uncut episodes 1-67, cut up, and voiced by a Canadian cast of professional voice actors, most commonly known as "The Ocean cast". Saban Entertainment were involved with the production of this dub.

Episodes 54-276 were uncut and match 1-1 to uncut episodes 68-291, but with the numbering following on from 1-53, and with episode 54 containing an additional ~10 minutes to cover the material from uncut 67 that USA 53 excluded, and one episode a little while after this was not counted in the numbering, because TV airings skipped it due to excessive violence, but you'll have seen the uncut home video version that did include the episode.
These episodes were dubbed in Texas by whoever would scream into a mic for 8 hours a day for as the leasy money possible while still picking someone who sounded close enough to their Canadian equivalent to kind of get away with it. This cast became known as the Funimtaion cast, or the in-house Funimation cast.

So, you're looking for the Saban/Ocean dub of episodes 1-53, and you're looking at the original Funimation dub of episodes 54-276.
The good news is, this entire run is officially available from the original DVD singles released in 1996-2003.

I will, however, note that if you end up missing the Ocean cast once you make the switch-over, the Ocean cast did return starting from episode 108 (which is 123 in uncut numbering, for the record) and dubbed to the end of the run, so starting from that point, you get to pick whichever cast you prefer... In theory. But you can't buy that on DVD, sadly, so good luck if you prefer Ocean.
I will also note that Dragon Ball, as Akira Toriyama originally created it in the 1984-1995 manga run, was what we've come to know as "Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball Z", presented as one continuous run, with the DB/Z separation being something Toei did in marketing the TV version to try to get a ratings boost from having a new "Episode 1" in 1989 to coincide with a brief in-story timeskip. It's STRONGLY recommended that you start with the original Dragon Ball for this reason, among many others. Dragon Ball & Z is one story, and skipping the first third of that story is a very poor habit that the western fandom has fallen into.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:17 am

I remember the website from years back and it was definitely the old 276 episode dub with the Vancouver cast providing the voices for the first 53 episodes and the Texas cast for the rest.

CityracerGaming

Post by CityracerGaming » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 am
This was very informative and quite helpful, thank you. As for the original series, I have seen it many times and I absolutely agree that fans should start there. It's by far my favorite TV show of all time by far. It actually lets my favorite character, Yamcha, have screen time! My third favorite character, Suno, is only in this series! Anyway, I'm getting off topic, so I'm going to stop myself before I get too carried away.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:10 am

CityracerGaming wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 am
Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 am
This was very informative and quite helpful, thank you.
Happy to be of help. :)
CityracerGaming wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 am As for the original series, I have seen it many times and I absolutely agree that fans should start there. It's by far my favorite TV show of all time by far. It actually lets my favorite character, Yamcha, have screen time! My third favorite character, Suno, is only in this series! Anyway, I'm getting off topic, so I'm going to stop myself before I get too carried away.
Excellent! :thumbup:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am

Do y'all just like, not read the piracy rules or something? Goddamn.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am Do y'all just like, not read the piracy rules or something? Goddamn.
Acknowledging a long since defunct site used to exist =/= linking to or referring to still running piracy sites

Robo even referred to him on how to get the dub he was looking for legally.