The UUE TV Broadcast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraPerfectCellZ

The UUE TV Broadcast

Post by UltraPerfectCellZ » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:04 am

Hello friends!

For a while now I've been searching for TV recordings of the Ultimate Uncut dub which extended past the DVD releases. I'm just wondering if anyone has access to these, as I can't seem to find anything online. It seems to have some oddities such as Mignogna's Butta and it's unique title cards.

Thanks guys!
Proudly lurking the forums since '09

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The UUE TV Broadcast

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am

I can't help you, but I remember catching these episodes channel surfing (remember doing that?) back when they were airing on CN. I was completely unaware that they even existed and was shocked when the first thing I saw was Kuririn looking at Yamcha's dead body which hadn't made TV at that point. It got me back into the series. I even made my girlfriend at the time watch it with me. She broke up with me a couple months later :lol:

Were these episodes completely uncut on TV? Visually at least?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 am

TheBigBoy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am

Yes. That was the idea.

https://youtu.be/_JEFN_tjE2w

Far as I know other than maybe Mignogna as Burter (and I’m on the I’ll believe it when I hear it fence with that factoid) there wasn’t much difference between the Toonami airings and the season set release.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 am
TheBigBoy wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am

Yes. That was the idea.

https://youtu.be/_JEFN_tjE2w

Far as I know other than maybe Mignogna as Burter (and I’m on the I’ll believe it when I hear it fence with that factoid) there wasn’t much difference between the Toonami airings and the season set release.
It was I both remember watching those episodes when they first aired and they used to be uploaded on YouTube back around 2012. He sounded identical to his Kai performance.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22 pm

I recall catching a good chunk of these on late nights back in 2005, and unlike the corresponding DVDs which only made it up through Piccolo's death before being canned the entire run of the first 67 episodes indeed were done in this format on Cartoon Network. The Ultimate Uncut airings were the only time this particular chunk of episodes was available uncut in 4:3 in it's entirety (albeit dub only) until the FUNi Dragon Boxes were released a few years later.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 pm

I do hope one day these turn up on the Internet Archive. Not sure why the UU DVD series stopped, feel sorry for those that bought that Vegeta Saga box that they can't fill up.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22 pm I recall catching a good chunk of these on late nights back in 2005, and unlike the corresponding DVDs which only made it up through Piccolo's death before being canned the entire run of the first 67 episodes indeed were done in this format on Cartoon Network. The Ultimate Uncut airings were the only time this particular chunk of episodes was available uncut in 4:3 in it's entirety (albeit dub only) until the FUNi Dragon Boxes were released a few years later.
The Dtagon Boxes don't feature the replacement score (I really dislike the Ultimate Uncut replacement score). Also, I guess now the 30th anniversary set is another way to see these in 4:3.

Was there a difference between the Ultimate Uncut airings and the orange bricks/Blu-rays/30th Anniversary set?

The one thing that I really loved about the Ultimate Uncut DVDs -- which wouldn't go past the "Namek Saga" even if the line wasn't scrapped anyway -- is the inclusion of the Latin American dub. That was a great choice and I'm sad that it was never thought about again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am

Was there a difference between the Ultimate Uncut airings and the orange bricks/Blu-rays/30th Anniversary set?

The aforementioned Vic Mignogna as Burter (why wasn’t he available for the 2007 partial redub? He was working with Funi at the time?)

This opening: https://youtu.be/qV_Yd1IQ06w (showing in 2005 Funimation was still in their “Make Dragon Brawl Zeeeee hardcore” mentality

The ED animation is also different: https://youtu.be/xgzMKVz70sc (but the music is the same if you’re watching with the US music track)

4:3 vs 16:9 (as far as the orange bricks and blue rays)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:42 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:22 pm I recall catching a good chunk of these on late nights back in 2005, and unlike the corresponding DVDs which only made it up through Piccolo's death before being canned the entire run of the first 67 episodes indeed were done in this format on Cartoon Network. The Ultimate Uncut airings were the only time this particular chunk of episodes was available uncut in 4:3 in it's entirety (albeit dub only) until the FUNi Dragon Boxes were released a few years later.
The Dtagon Boxes don't feature the replacement score (I really dislike the Ultimate Uncut replacement score). Also, I guess now the 30th anniversary set is another way to see these in 4:3.

The one thing that I really loved about the Ultimate Uncut DVDs -- which wouldn't go past the "Namek Saga" even if the line wasn't scrapped anyway -- is the inclusion of the Latin American dub. That was a great choice and I'm sad that it was never thought about again.
Well, in regard to the Dragon Boxes i meant other than the replacement music seeing as i dislike Nathan Johnson's Ultimate Uncut score about as much if not more so than Faulconer's in Z or Mark Menza's GT score. Also yeah there is now the 30th set when talking about those episodes in 4:3 even with the numerous already noted at length flaws about it. As for the broadcast vs home release the main differences aside from the cropped fake 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio and minor voice changes a la Chris Sabat (using more or less his then current circa 2005/2007 Vegeta voice albeit slightly different) as Burter/Butta instead of Vic Mignogna's from the UUE broadcast proper is that the latter versions have the Japanese opening and closing video and crap Menza guitar instrumental opening, although both Zenkai Power and We Were Angels have Summon Up the Dragon which i have always found to be very bizarre choices.

It really is a shame that they never included the Mexican/LA dub anywhere else after the UUE's were scrapped, because i have seen some clips before and it sounded like a very good production voice wise and very accurate to the Japanese version apparently in terms of scripts.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am

The aforementioned Vic Mignogna as Burter (why wasn’t he available for the 2007 partial redub? He was working with Funi at the time?)

This opening: https://youtu.be/qV_Yd1IQ06w (showing in 2005 Funimation was still in their “Make Dragon Brawl Zeeeee hardcore” mentality

The ED animation is also different: https://youtu.be/xgzMKVz70sc (but the music is the same if you’re watching with the US music track)

4:3 vs 16:9 (as far as the orange bricks and blue rays)
I know about the opening/closing/aspect ratio differences. I meant if there was a difference between the UU and orange brick audio track.

If the difference was Vic's Butta, then fine. I'm assuming they changed it back to Sabat to have consistency in the orange brick release. It was probably more convenient than booting Vic to go in and do Butta for the one or two episodes that he's featured in for the 1999 portion of the series (for lack of a better description). I'm guessing since Sabat was readily available, that's why the decision was made.

I really hope there aren't any more changes -- all of these different versions of the dub are annoying to keep track of already.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:08 pm I really hope there aren't any more changes -- all of these different versions of the dub are annoying to keep track of already.
The only other change I know of is the Kaioken to Kayoken when Vegeta mentions it during his fight with Goku in the Orange Bricks, but that's only for the Japanese music option. This really is how the entire release should have handled the dub: keep the changes to the Japanese music option, and leave the broadcast dub as-is.

Did they change the Kaioken back to Kayoken for the broadcast dub on the BD version? If so, then between that and the randomly changed recap theme on the BDs, the Orange Bricks are a closer representation of the UUE dub experience.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am If the difference was Vic's Butta, then fine. I'm assuming they changed it back to Sabat to have consistency in the orange brick release. It was probably more convenient than booting Vic to go in and do Butta for the one or two episodes that he's featured in for the 1999 portion of the series (for lack of a better description). I'm guessing since Sabat was readily available, that's why the decision was made.

They didn’t change it back to Sabat. Mark Britten was the original in-house voice for Burter in season 3. Sabat redubbed his dialog for the 1999 dubbed episodes and apparently Mignogna’s dialog for the 2005 uncut dub. It would have been less effort to have Mignogna redub Britten’s dialog. But instead Funimation had Sabat redub both because reasons...

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:40 pm

It seems weird that they had Vic Mignogna as Burter to begin with, when Sabat was voicing the character in the games around that time, and those games had Broly in them.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am If the difference was Vic's Butta, then fine. I'm assuming they changed it back to Sabat to have consistency in the orange brick release. It was probably more convenient than booting Vic to go in and do Butta for the one or two episodes that he's featured in for the 1999 portion of the series (for lack of a better description). I'm guessing since Sabat was readily available, that's why the decision was made.

They didn’t change it back to Sabat. Mark Britten was the original in-house voice for Burter in season 3. Sabat redubbed his dialog for the 1999 dubbed episodes and apparently Mignogna’s dialog for the 2005 uncut dub. It would have been less effort to have Mignogna redub Britten’s dialog. But instead Funimation had Sabat redub both because reasons...
Sabat has said in the past that since his real title is an ADR director, with a lot of those side characters he's basically working for free. It's cheaper to just have him do stuff.

Even in the recent games, he still plays a few characters that he stopped voicing in Kai and Super. Including Burter, even before the Vic situation.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am The aforementioned Vic Mignogna as Burter (why wasn’t he available for the 2007 partial redub? He was working with Funi at the time?)
Sean Schemmel was also unavailable for the 2007 redub, thus why episode 68+ has circa 1999 Schemmel. It was probably just seen as low-priority work.

But unlike Schemmel, Mignogna's part was quite small, so Sabat just thought "Screw it, I'll redub all the lines of this character for the DVDs." As noted, Sabat works for Funimation basically for free (or did, back then), so if the alleged point of the 2007 redub was consistency, this was at least a kinda-sensible move.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:22 am

I just think that unlike a Sean Schemmel or Vic Mignogna, Sabat was much more readily available, being that he did office work at Funimation.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:13 pm But instead Funimation had Sabat redub both because reasons...
Was it because sabat as voice director/salaried whereas the other VA were hourly so it cost funi less?

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm

Did CN really aired the whole thing visually uncut?

Like, didn't they ever visually changed anything? (Naked Gohan, Hell, Raditz and Goku bleeding, etc)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm Did CN really aired the whole thing visually uncut?

Like, didn't they ever visually changed anything? (Naked Gohan, Hell, Raditz and Goku bleeding, etc)
Not that I remember. And the audio wasn't edited either. I remember my brother and I being surprised to hear Krillin call Vegeta a bastard when that episode first aired.
Cold World (Fanfic)

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm Did CN really aired the whole thing visually uncut?

Not that I remember. And the audio wasn't edited either. I remember my brother and I being surprised to hear Krillin call Vegeta a bastard when that episode first aired.
Knowing that CN Aired a show using the word bastard is pretty surprising, they had DRAGON balls back in those days to do that