From years to six months was an unnecessary change that still works.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

From years to six months was an unnecessary change that still works.

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:09 am

I don't know what the purpose of changing Battle of Gods' placement in time was, but it at least allows us to figure something out about the Dragon Balls, instead of pulling hairs because the wishes were "contradicting". Note that this only applies to the events that were self consistent with the DBS anime and not every media, which isn't to say that they would be wrong there, only that they will go unaddressed.
  • It took twelve months for the Dragon Balls to recharge one wish so that Shenron could be summoned and he didn't go past this limit. 12 months divided by 1 wish cools down in 12 months.
  • His limit was improved from one to two and three wishes. The number of wishes could divide the time that it takes to summon him in months. 12 months would cool down with 3 wishes into 4 months each.
  • In the Majin Boo arc, the humans passed on the last wish, so that Shenron's cooldown was four months (and another wish recharged in the background). 3 wishes divide 12 months in 4 with the wait adding 1 more wish.
  • Four months passed ever since Majin Boo's defeat for them to wish people's memories to be erased. Another wish was in the background saved for DBS in two months. 1 wish wasted for a total of 0 and 3 to cooldown.
  • From Shenron's last three wishes in Resurrection of F's arc, four months passed and Piccolo was wished back to life, and this wish couldn't be in a year due to DBS's chronology. 4 months passed and charged 1 wish.
I know that it can be said that the writers didn't give too much thought about it except on the consumer side of things. All of this to say that an accident led to something curious and DBS's placement of Battle of Gods could work.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: From years to six months was an unnecessary change that still works.

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Battle of Gods is still set 4 years after the Majin Buu arc - in Age 778. The Tournament of Power happens around Age 780 which is when Bra is born. This all fits with the end of the manga and the age of Pan and Bra there.

Also, in DBS Piccolo was revived with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Do you mean to say that the End of Z needs to be considered admist the on going continuity? I don't remember Piccolo being revived by Porunga. That was only to illustrate that if they wanted, then they could revive him with the Earth's Dragon Balls.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Desassina wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:09 am[*]Four months passed ever since Majin Boo's defeat for them to wish people's memories to be erased.
It's six months, not four.
emperior wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:12 pm Battle of Gods is still set 4 years after the Majin Buu arc - in Age 778.
The movie is set 4 years after the Boo arc, but the anime says that after Shenron erased our memories of Majin Boo 6 months after the defeat of Pure Evil Boo ("Kid Boo") that "several more months pass by." It is definitely not 4 years in the anime as well.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 pm
Desassina wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:09 am[*]Four months passed ever since Majin Boo's defeat for them to wish people's memories to be erased.
It's six months, not four.
emperior wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:12 pm Battle of Gods is still set 4 years after the Majin Buu arc - in Age 778.
The movie is set 4 years after the Boo arc, but the anime says that after Shenron erased our memories of Majin Boo 6 months after the defeat of Pure Evil Boo ("Kid Boo") that "several more months pass by." It is definitely not 4 years in the anime as well.
Eh, I remember this was actually discussed on I think reddit. And Terez (a member here I believe) gave an explanation that kinda rectified everything on reddit a couple years back
For the record:

「月日が流れた」 ("Tsukihi ga nagareta") is a vague expression meaning that some time has passed. It could be months, or years. The battle with Majin Boo occurred in Age 774, as did the wish to erase the public's memories 6 months later. Pan was born in Age 779, so the events of the BOG arc are assumed to take place in Age 778, roughly four years after the wish to erase the memories of Boo.p
Basically, the sub and dub chose to guess with the “several months pass” to translate it, but the original dialogue of it just makes it vague

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:09 am

Let's just focus on the other side of this thread please. I know that I used chronology to give it a headstart, but I want you to discuss:
  • Whether or not it's possible for Shenron to be called again in 4 months, in case he has 1 wish out of 3 already recharged.
  • Whether or not passing a wish allows his cooldown to take 4 months with 1 wish on the background recharging for a total of 2.
  • Whether or not using 1 wish in the middle of a cooldown after 2 months requires only 10 months for the complete set of wishes.
The chronology is a bonus, and I'm willing to give the official sources their credibility, because the EoZ needs to be retconned already. It's not due to the latter that we're having this discussion. Also, can anyone confirm me whether or not they used the Namekian Dragon Balls to bring Piccolo back to life in DBS? I want an answer based on the event and not the end result of piecing things to make sense. My dub wasn't clear on that subject.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 pmBasically, the sub and dub chose to guess with the “several months pass” to translate it, but the original dialogue of it just makes it vague
It's not without some official precedence, though. As we have this statement specifically placing Dragon Ball Super merely six months after Majin Buu saga.

With or without Shenlong summonings, we have huge problems with that. If Beerus saga takes place in AGE 774, then Golden Freeza saga takes place in AGE 775. So how would it "still work" with Pan being born in this year? That means the 28º tournament would happen in AGE 780 (due to Pan being four turning five), but isn't that tournament supposed to happen ten years after Majin Buu saga? Or Majin Buu saga's new date is AGE 770, thus completely screwing up with the timeline?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~