How did you come to know about dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Re: How did you come to know about dragonball?

Post by fleahop » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:03 pm

It was sometime in the 90s.

I was at my Aunt's house for whatever reason and saw a giant monkey on the screen. It looked mondo cool. So me being the 5 or 6 year old I was stopped everything and started watching. Looking back I believe this was a promo and I watched an episode or two of the Saiyan saga.

I came home and told my brothers all about it. They thought I was lying because it sounded so crazy. Fast forward a few weeks and my oldest brother spots Dragon Ball Z after school. From there it was history. Me and my two older brothers would race down from the school bus drop to grab a snack and if my dad was off work he'd already have it waiting for us. I know this doesn't seem like much, but it was the closest thing to bonding all of us ever did.

I realize now later in life I like dragon ball, sure, but it's moreso that I cherished those times so much. My poor father didn't even care for it, but he simply wanted to spend time with us but didn't know how. Dragon Ball was that thing for a good portion of my life.

Sorry for spewing, but hopefully if someone finds this silly show in the future and happens to read this, they'll understand more of what it meant.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 am

I am from Mexico. The story is actually very curious.

I was part of a middle class family, going to public school instead of private school because my father thought the education was more impartial there. All children were hyped by dragon ball since its release in 1994 but my mother would not allow me to watch it, she did the same with plenty of other cartoons and even with el chavo (mexican #1 tv show) because acccording to my parents (the baby boomers) the only good cartoons for children were disney and the looney toons... they would say DB was satanic! https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ar ... -864804479

Imagine, Mexico is a country full bootleg merchandise. I remember I used to think Goku and Goku SSJ were two different people xD
DB characters were all in badpacks, pencil cases, tennis shoes, clothes, candy, EVERYTHING! and I was out of the hype...

But I became a rebel when I turned 11 so I started watching dragon ball and it was already by the android saga :lolno:

My first time ever dragon ball merchandise
https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ar ... -857678815

I was hooked since the begining. I had to catch up with everything, that is original dragon ball, radditz saga, saiyans saga and freezer saga.
Sometimes I wonder if the reason for me being so attatched to dragon ball is the fact that it was forbiden for so long XDD

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm

The first I ever heard of it is when I was roughly seven years old. Living in the UK I used to often watch Cartoon Network and Fox Kids back in 1998-1999. I eventually saw the first CN ad promoting the premiere of DBZ, I just remember thinking the characters looked unique, edgy and I wanted to see more. Unfortunately due to relocating, school, and getting pulled into the whirlwind of the Pokemon craze, I basically forgot about DBZ.

About a year later I would eventually hear some kids talking about Freeza and was intrigued but didn't have a way to watch Cartoon Network anymore so I had to pester my dad for it. Eventually, we got satellite television again around 2001 and I vividly remember coming home after school and flipping through the kid's channels like it was Christmas. I was initially glued to Fox Kids since I recognized the Beast Wars characters in Beast Machines, but midway through it I curiously checked the menu to read what was on Cartoon Network and saw the name Dragon Ball Z. As I switched over It happened to be the episode with Cell draining Piccolo's arm and the military showing up to intervene. The stakes seemed much higher than what I had been used to from other children's shows and I was mesmerized by Cell's creepy design. Needless to say, DBZ became my new obsession that day. I would constantly watch the old saga reruns to get caught up, buy any videogames, toys, stickers and cards I could get my hands on and talk about the series almost daily at school. I even remember starting high school around the time the Saiyaman saga premiered.

Despite the limitations of the internet back then and being too young to engage with the older fanbase, it was still a fun time to be a fan, and although my opinion on the franchise as a whole has soured in adulthood I still cherish my childhood experience with it. I would be a very different person today without the influence of DBZ which is freaky to think about.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:23 pm

NitroEX wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm The first I ever heard of it is when I was roughly seven years old. Living in the UK I used to often watch Cartoon Network and Fox Kids back in 1998-1999. I eventually saw the first CN ad promoting the premiere of DBZ, I just remember thinking the characters looked unique, edgy and I wanted to see more. Unfortunately due to relocating, school, and getting pulled into the whirlwind of the Pokemon craze, I basically forgot about DBZ.
This is pretty ironic. I was obsessed with the Pokemon anime until I got into DBZ, and at that point with was pretty much DBZ and then everything else for me lol.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 pm

I was 12 years old in 1998.

:B
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Saw it on Fox Kids, long-long ago; mid to early 90s. Even saw an old dub of OGDB, too. It briefly came on a chanel called UPN. I can't remember which one I saw 1st, but back then I was a hardcore weeb.