Who is your favourite character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:03 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Who is your favourite character?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am

That Saiyan girl with a knife from that Saiyan Arc filler episode.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am

Piccolo. He's just great.

#18 is probably second. She singlehandedly turns the third Broly movie from pretty meh to really fun. It's great; she's just hanging out the entire movie, watching it all happen, and so profoundly not giving a single shit about any of it. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:46 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am #18 is probably second. She singlehandedly turns the third Broly movie from pretty meh to really fun. It's great; she's just hanging out the entire movie, watching it all happen, and so profoundly not giving a single shit about any of it. :lol:
Her blasé attitude also made her filler scenes in the Buu Arc so much more watchable. She was like the straight man that Oolong played way back in the first dragon ball hunt.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm

1. Goku

2. Broly

3. Vegeta

It's weird to have Saiyans in my top 3. But tbh, who doesn't like Goku? Dude's legit badass & gotta love his optimism (a trait even Future Bulma fascinates abt Goku). And Broly, ofc dude's THE legendary super saiyan. Loved his movies...and yeah, Vegeta, dude's by FAR greatest anime character, villain, anti-hero, hero, whatever it is.. you name it. Dude was original, his journey was worth-it & above all his battle cries & attacks...gosh I love these guys

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:23 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:46 am
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am #18 is probably second. She singlehandedly turns the third Broly movie from pretty meh to really fun. It's great; she's just hanging out the entire movie, watching it all happen, and so profoundly not giving a single shit about any of it. :lol:
Her blasé attitude also made her filler scenes in the Buu Arc so much more watchable. She was like the straight man that Oolong played way back in the first dragon ball hunt.
Absolutely!

She's just a really great presence in the show; enhances every scene she's in.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm

1. Krillin
2. Yamcha
3. Piccolo
4. Gohan

I really like Krillin's growth from the snotty little selfish brat to one of the kindest individuals in the entire series. It's not as prominent and obvious as Piccolo, Tenshinhan or Vegeta, but I ended up liking both personalities a lot and he was consistantly fun to read about. I like that despite his fear he throws himself out there to save his stronger allies.
Whenever he does fight his fights tend to be the most fun I have with Dragonball's battles with him using pragmatic and cunning rather than relying on power. Watching him boot Nappa in the face, watching him catch Piccolo off guard in the end of Dragonball, watching him using the Kienzan against Goku in Super to catch him off guard and his recent battle with Moro's men...just every Krillin fight is great.

Yamcha's just fun. The baseball episode of Super may be my favourite individual episode in the entire series.

Piccolo's not usually the type I like, but his relationship with Gohan cements the two of them in the next slots, that sacrifice was incredible. Piccolo is a little more consistent as a character to me than Gohan whom I really only liked during the Saiyan and Namek sagas.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Going to go with the boring, cliched answer that it's Goku, the guy is Dragon Ball :lol:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Definitely Zamasu. I love his design, I love his personality, I love his backstory, I love his motivations, I love his techniques, I love both of his VAs, and I love his character arc. I am a sucker for fallen angel villain characters.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Canonical universe :
-Zamasu

I really like his design in his base form, his behavior and his gestures. He is also different from the other main villains, he started off as a good being and then turned evil because of his ideals. They also needed Zeno's help to get rid of him ... it's just not very common in DB universe so it was refreshing to see ~

Non-canonical universe :
-Fu

Same as Zamasu. I'm completely in love with his design, his behavior, his gestures, his voice, his personality and everything about him is just appealing to me ! In Xenoverse 2, it was really hard to tell if he was a good guy or a bad guy, or if he was hanging around like a neutral guy. He is not the type of guy who will do the work but rather let the others do the work for him. He is so playful !! And that's what makes him compelling. He is full of fun and mysteries, he is his own character and I love that about him ~

-Broly Z
My love for this character is more particular. When I found out about this character it was in Budokai 1 and I saw him in his LSSJ form ( which was an uncommon form ) and I learned that he was a Saiyan and that triggered my attention. So I checked some stuff on Google and I saw his base form and I just loved it !! Everything started from there, then I watched the movies and there was something touching about his story which made me appreciate the character even more. I also loved the two facets of his personality, one where he look all calm and innocent but on the inside he is just purely evil ~

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Gohan because of the psychological progression of his character and how contrasted with Goku's journey of physicality with a stagnant mindset for the most part. Sure Gohan had his hiccups but he ultimately developed well. I just wish Toriyama hadn't performed a 180 with his intentions of making Gohan the protagonist.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Good - Pan

Being a daughter of Gohan* and Videl (characters i love) and granddaughter of Chi Chi and Satan (characters i also love) made her my fav character in instant. There is a lot of funny moments with her and she fills the gap DB was always missing - having a female fighter as one of the main protagonists.
*I mean late teen/adult Gohan, so from Buu saga onward

Bad - Baby

He's the only villain with good motive and understandable actions. Unlike other villains in series, he had a reason to become evil and never pretended to be good after that, while others started as evil, either without a real reason or because of selfish desires. Also he probably had one of the best introductions from all villains, perhaps only beaten by Frieza if you ask me. And thanks to him we saw a return of Oozaru and the best super saiyan form.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Lately it's Videl. She kicks butt and is a mama! She can be tough without losing that aura as a mama.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 pm Lately it's Videl. She kicks butt and is a mama! She can be tough without losing that aura as a mama.
Videl is my second favourite protagonist after Pan-chan, even though we didn't see much of her after Buu saga.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:46 pm

1.) Ribrianne/Brianne de Chateau!

Without Contest when Ribrianne entered the DB Canon back on May 21, 2017 the world of DB Change for me Forever!

Finally I got to see Magical Girls in My Dragon Ball and after many grand years of Pretty Cure with many Dragon Ball style fighting themes it was good to finally seen Magical Girls being a fighting forces style in Dragon Ball Canon. But more then that Ribrianne broke the traditional models on how a Magical Girl can look with her plus size and yet she came across very graceful and powerful showing skinny and muscles don't always equal to power.

Her Enthusiasms in her beliefs in love, positive attitude for her Universe, Team and the caring she had for her Fellow Magical girls and universe like in Episodes 102 and 103 along with her rallying leadership and willing to put her Universe 1st in fighting to the end in episode 118 lead me to adore her character so much. Most of all like all Magical Girls she has rough edges that have prime ablity to grow her character and she showed that character growth and depth in episodes 111, 117 and 118.

Most of all she is one of the most original characters both her and her fellow Magical Girls Kakunsa and Rozie in both look, Fighting Style, theme and even Magical Girls in general I have witness in a longtime, truly broke the mold of what power is in Dragon Ball and how Magical Girls can be and they where a Very Refreshing characters to add to the DB Mythos, Loved It! :angel: :thumbup: :clap:

I could go on so long with what I love about Ribrianne!

2.)Kakunsa/Sanka Kū!

Pretty Much all that I mention above with Ribrianne, but adding on what I love most about Kakunsa style is her Beast/Cat Like Fury Form of Fighting! :thumbup:

It was a welcomed change in fighting styles to the DB Mythos that seem to just be copying for years over and over the same styles of punches, kicks and fire balls. Kakunsa is way Different bringing pure speed, animal fury and cat like slashing to her fighting style to was fun and Truly a Refreshing Pure Awesome Joy to experience in Episode 102!

Best of all it reminded me of other characters from my other Favorite Medium, Comic Books with Characters like Cheetah, Black Cat, Cat Woman, Black Panther, Sabertooth, Wolverine and X-23! :mrgreen:

It was truly Awesome to see this Style of fighting I so love in other mediums like Comic Books be Represented by the Sweatheart of Universe 2 Kakunsa and bringing it Vastly More into the DB Canon!

3.)Rozie/Sū Rōsu!

Pretty Much all that I mention above with Ribrianne, Rozie is the Adorable Sweatheart of Universe 2, her Virtuous and Fun Attitude was heartwarming. Her fast fist style was a homage to that of Chun li from Street gighting and her style and look was like that of Shaolin Monks and traditional Chinese Martial Arts. The fact that she gets faster with her fist and combine that with high energy attitude she is a joy to be a fan of! :angel: :thumbup:

4.) Cell~(Mostly Ultimate Perfect Form)
5.) Kale
6.) Caulifla
7.) Piccolo
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:20 am

Paikuhan has always been my favorite and I wished he could have been given time in Super.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:59 am

Broly is mine.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 am

Goku in DB/Z, Vegeta in Super.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:31 am

Alright, this seems like a good point to start.

1. Broly (DBS)

I have a type of character I like the most, and it's people who are adorable, but can also be fierce in combat: it's the best way to make me put a dumb smile on my face. I would have never guessed I would find that combination with this beast of a man, as I saw all the original Broly movies all the way back. But he is by far my favorite part of the movie.
Also my main in DBFZ, based on my initial experiences. I just like his style so much.

2. Master Roshi

Followed him ever since OG Dragonball. Man is... Kind of legendary, and provided some of my fondest memories, such as making me look up the Drunken Master style, and it being one of my favorites. Also his recent showing at the ToP has been nothing short of impressive.

3. Rozie

I know, strange pick, but she filled in the quota of "favourite badass adorable" before Broly turned out the way he did. Also a bonus to make me smile like a dummy are Bruce Lee Noises. My favourite minor character of the ToP, though there are close seconds. I do wish her and the Fireballs to come back, even if it's just for a little bit.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:56 pm

Incoming cliche answers (except number 3)!

1. Goku: Despite how butchered his character is in DBS, the guy has had a huge impact and been a huge inspiration to me growing up. I can't not give him #1.

2. Vegeta: Arguably the most developed and complex character in the franchise, and he's one of the few characters that has had an increase in quality in Super.

3. Beerus: This guy is proof to me that Toriyama has still "got it" even in this era when it comes to character design. I also love the contrast of Beerus being both a mighty and feared powerful deity, but also a lazy, somewhat chill, and funny cat.