Robotech Actors in DB, Yay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Robotech Actors in DB, Yay?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Due to seeing this video Cam Clarke put up regarding Robotech's 35th anniversary and folks talking about the Harmony Gold dub, thought I'd ask if any of these actors, whether they were in the Harmony Gold dub or not, you could see as any particular DB characters? And for those guys who didn't watch Robotech due to lack of interest or too young, here are some other roles you may be familiar with aside from Lisa Hayes' va who hasn't done a lot:

Rebecca Forstadt (Minmey): Mihoshi on the later Tenchi Muyo shows and movies, Kanata on Lucky Star, (Konota's late mother), Nunnaly on Code Geass
Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter): Lupin on the second Lupin III (Red Jacket), the Fourth Hokage on Naruto Shippuden, Saba on MMPR, Ulquiorra on Bleach, etc
Wendee Lee (Vanessa): Haruhi Suzumiya, Konota on Lucky Star, Yoruichi, Tatsuki and Ururu on Bleach, TK on Digimon season 1, Faye on Cowboy Bebop, Kiyone on later Tenchi Muyo shows and movies, and lots more
Barbara Goodson (Marie Crystal): Naota on FLCL, Granny Chiyo on Naruto Shippuden, Kitsune on Love Hina, Rita Repulsa on Power Rangers (voice)
Cam Clarke (Max Sterling): Leonardo and Rocksteady on the original TMNT, Liquid Snake in Metal Gear, He-Man/Prince Adam in the 2002 He-Man, and various others.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Robotech Actors in DB, Yay?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:50 pm

You reminded me of a very beautiful song from Kanata on Lucky Star! Thanks!

Also. Sure why not?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:03 am

Super Sonic wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm thought I'd ask if any of these actors, whether they were in the Harmony Gold dub or not, you could see as any particular DB characters?

Wendee Lee (Vanessa)
Barbara Goodson (Marie Crystal)
Dunno about the others, but these two actually have been in Dragon Ball; Wendee Lee was Bulma in the Harmony Gold and Bang Zoom dubs, and Barbara Goodson was Goku in Harmony Gold.
Both were great castings, and I'd love to hear them again.

In general, though, I imagine an LA-based cast would be nice to hear in Dragon Ball. I think the days of a cheap Texas cast being acceptable were... Well... Actually, I don't think it was ever acceptable, really, and I think it's somewhat telling that Funi has generally pulled their new Dragon Ball castings from LA, from Kai onwards (even as early as GT, I think they were pulling in LA talent), but... Yeah, in general, if Dragon Ball's entire cast was to be changed out again, I'd love to see an LA cast step in, from the pool you're talking about.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 pm

I could see Cam Clarke do a good Zarbon. Tony Oliver would either work as Krillin or Goku.

And Robo's right that Barbara Goodson and Wendee Lee were well cast as Kid Goku and Bulma, such adorable voices for the characters.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.