Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm

IMO nothing can possibly beat Mr. Satan and the reporter in the Cell Games with the sheer amount of utter, illogical disrespect they show to the main characters. It isn't once funny to me. Luckily the reporter never appears again and Mr. Satan has a proper character arc in the next storyline.

Gotenks at least is annoying by design and is used to poke fun at and deconstruct some of the pillars of the franchise.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:40 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 amcaulifla is the best female character in the franchise which is not difficult because most are terrible.

the design depends on opinions but hers is equal to "gine" slender design and the same type of eyes that is cute in my opinion.

her backstory is almost the same as the sun wukong at the start of his journey "an impressive and power monkey that becomes leader of other monkeys" for his power, bravery and abilities.

It really is pretty cool to finally have a female character who is interested in the fights because she likes it, she is relevant and has a development ...
Both Bulma and Android 18 put her to shame. 18's kick to Vegeta is one of the most iconic scenes in the franchise. She on the other hand has one of the most annoying personalities in DB, A Cell arc Vegeta on steroids. At least he got put in his place twice in that arc, she just kept getting rewarded.

My dislike for her design isn't exclusive to her, as I don't like any of the new over slim designs U6's Saiyans have. I'm not expecting everyone to look like Nappa, but did they have to look like stick figures with big heads ?

My issue isn't as much about her role as a leader as it's about how she gains her powers, and what she's able to do in the tournament.

They could've done that without making her so overpowered. How on earth is some nobody who didn't know about Ssjs, now able to fight (fused with Kale) a Blue Goku and even UI ? There's things in Super that don't make sense, then there's that.
already ... but basically the best 3 are 18, bulma and caulifla the others are just irrelevant housewives

Android 18 was pretty close to becoming the "housewife 3" since buu arc if it weren't for her popularity ... she wouldn't have a participation but at least in the tournament she had her return. also shares the face design with 17

her attitude of just caring about money gets quite annoying too ... in general she is just design and nostalgia however Dr gero has given her the power and never made an effort for it

With bulma, if I can accept, she stays better and always relevant, but she is also screaming and boastful as several female characters and sincerely, that attitude would be better appreciated for someone in fights.

all female characters are slim and muscle loss the only exception is kefla

broly did not know how to transform and then he fights with gogeta ssb ... for the record ... that the transformations of kale and broly are too powerful ... especially merged

I understand that they may hate ribrianne and kale but we are exaggerating with caulifla
goten and trunks are ssj at the age of 7 and 8 years
like gotenks in a week he managed to transform into ssj3 when goku took 7 years etc

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 am

Weirdly I don't get the hate for Ribrianne.
Even if you don't like her she's a one time character and not someone who needs to reoccur every arc due to living in an entirely different universe and not...you know...living in the same house as the main two fighters of the series.

Gotenks' existence is also a problem because apart from being irritating, both Goten and Trunks' absence from a fighting series as stronger and stronger threats turn up whilst far weaker fighters like Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi and most recently Yamcha and Chiaoutzu are fighting makes little in universe sense.

For the record I prefer it that way, but it's hard to justify when the humans have all been left in the dust power wise and throughout Z and Super have been shown to be utterly ineffective with dealing with the main threats despite their techniques and skill levels purely due to not having the raw power needed.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:49 pm

While Gotenks is annoying, anime Chi-Chi will probably forever be my most disliked character in franchise :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Akyon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 am Weirdly I don't get the hate for Ribrianne.
Even if you don't like her she's a one time character and not someone who needs to reoccur every arc due to living in an entirely different universe and not...you know...living in the same house as the main two fighters of the series.

Gotenks' existence is also a problem because apart from being irritating, both Goten and Trunks' absence from a fighting series as stronger and stronger threats turn up whilst far weaker fighters like Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi and most recently Yamcha and Chiaoutzu are fighting makes little in universe sense.

For the record I prefer it that way, but it's hard to justify when the humans have all been left in the dust power wise and throughout Z and Super have been shown to be utterly ineffective with dealing with the main threats despite their techniques and skill levels purely due to not having the raw power needed.
For me Ribrianne was just a huge pace killer for the ToP. One minute we're watching some awesome battles, the next it gets interrupted by the annoying antics of her and her friends. I might have been okay with it if it didn't go on for so damn long, although I didn't really find it funny in the first place. I was just hoping she'd get eliminated as soon as possible to be honest, but it seemed to take forever. Even the other characters got sick of it.

I'm sure it's possible to give Gotenks something to do from time to time without completely excluding the humans. With all the crazy stuff that went down in the ToP it would have been really fun to see him in the mix.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:19 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:03 pm For me Ribrianne was just a huge pace killer for the ToP. One minute we're watching some awesome battles, the next it gets interrupted by the annoying antics of her and her friends.
But that's the ToP in a nutshell. It never actually found its stride in terms of rhythm or pacing. You'd have a fight leading into a too long character intro leading into a dumb elimination and then the cycle would repeat.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Gotenks is fine, he's an 8 year old mixed with a 7 year old with waaay too much at his disposal, whaddya expect? Even with his silliness he almost got the job done at the end of the day, plus he doesn't overstay his welcome despite him showing up a few times in early Super.

For me its Kale. She's the worst parts of Broly wrapped in modern Shonen dribble. GRRRRR BE MY FRIEND!!!!.... Yuck :sick:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 pm

What I have observed in the DB when it comes to these kind of Topics of either Likely/Dislike, Annoying/Likable or anything along such parallels not Matter who the character is is mostly about Personal Preference in the character and how their Personal and Themes come across to Fans.

Gotenks, Pan, Jiren, Kale, Caulifla, Kefla, Ribrianne, the list can go on and on but most of the debate is always about how we end up liking or dis-likely the personas and themes those characters have. Not as much either about their actions and sins in their actions, but it seems more of the time it is a personal taste we have in character personas and their is never a full on concessions on that.

It will always vary from Fan to Fan cause of a Fans own personal wants and liking they have in character. How they have experienced life, what characters and themes they flock to, etc and so on.

So While yea Gotenks I can get why some might find his character many not that likable, it is also those qualities that have flocked other fans to him for years and even his lesser traits many of us have acceptable reasons to why we like him despite them.

He is a fusion of 2 Single digit Kids, both Half Saiyans, both powerful and they get both their Attitudes and Powers Fusion into a New level of power that likely overwhelms them so of course they will gain a bigger Ego thinking they can do anything now. Really All fusions, espically it seems among Saiyans that Love Fighting and Power, this always happens. But in the End too Gotenks is a kid and will do the silly and crazy things kids always do, so that does not get under our skin either cause it honestly makes sense.

So Yea I always Enjoyed Gotenks, his Mr. Satan Style of acts and he is a Kid, Kids will do Kid Things. :lol:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm

I have issues with Gotenks, but I think that it's more reflective of the writing in general during the Boo arc then with any type of character flaw. He's basically a kid version of Vegeta, which is fine I guess, but the fact that he takes things less seriously than Goten and Trunks do in the same situation makes no sense. Obviously they have different personalities, but at age 7 Gohan was flying off on his own to fight Freeza, who was merely threatening the Earth, While Gotenks can't get his shit together against an enemy that's killed 3/4 of his parents. The fact that he can achieve SSJ3 just by looking at Goku is also pointless, since it's an artificial power boost that could have been avoided by just making Gotenks stronger as a regular SSJ.

From a narrative standpoint, Gotenks does literally nothing but stall for time for Gohan to show up. He could be easily omitted by having Boo can kill everyone on the lookout (Goten and Trunks can survive, or not, it doesn't matter) and instead of Gotenks being the promised warrior, it turns out to be Gohan instead. Boom, we've cut out like 10 episodes of the anime.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 am

My only problem with Gotenks is that he doesn't really act like what a fusion of Goten and Trunks should act like, in my opinion. There's no Goten in there; it's just Trunks turned up to 11.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Only reason I sorta liked him growing up was because he was always fun to use in the video games, especially Budokai 2 and 3. Other than that yeah definitely an annoying one.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm IMO nothing can possibly beat Mr. Satan and the reporter in the Cell Games with the sheer amount of utter, illogical disrespect they show to the main characters. It isn't once funny to me. Luckily the reporter never appears again and Mr. Satan has a proper character arc in the next storyline.

Gotenks at least is annoying by design and is used to poke fun at and deconstruct some of the pillars of the franchise.
Now, when I watch those scenes back...I couldn't help but lol so hard...Mr. Satan was so oblivious to existence of superior beings, and the way the reporter roleplayed Paul Heyman was so funny

But ofc, u have said ur reasons. Even I remember getting pissed whenever camera cuts to Mr. Satan & reporter guy in the middle of intense Cell Game fights...but I really feel watchin it now, most of the jokes felt done tongue-in-cheek. Mr. Satan sure has come a long way, that much is sure

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:47 pm

I was indifferent to Gotenks as a teenager, bordering on slightly disliking him.
These days the gag kind of lands for me, even if he's supposed to be thirsty for revenge (since Boo killed his parents after all), the arc as a whole is kind of like watching a train wreck at this point, so seeing something just.. fun, is a little sugar to make the medicine go down.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 am

Part of what made Gotenks so annoying in the Buu Saga was how essentially worthless he was as a character both narratively and practically. He accomplished nothing for no basically reason, only serving to pad out the already over padded Buu saga.

Plus, Kid Trunks and Goten are much more likable characters when they are away from each other than they are together.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 am My only problem with Gotenks is that he doesn't really act like what a fusion of Goten and Trunks should act like, in my opinion. There's no Goten in there; it's just Trunks turned up to 11.
That's because Goten literally doesn't really have a personality lmao.

He's just there. Hardly developed as a character. Completely neglected. Not that i care because he's not interesting at all, but that's on the writers.

And like the majority of this thread i was never a big fan of Gotenks either.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Gotenks is meant to be something of a joke character (like Mr.Satan), given the way Toriyama uses him to lampshade a lot of the series' clichés. Given that the Buu saga itself is kind of a joke, Gotenks fits right in with that (and in a way he's the perfect embodiment of the Buu arc itself: Some like what he is and does, and some hate what he is and does so much that they wish he didn't exist).

I've never had a problem with him. Though, as someone who enjoys meta-humor, I like him more for the lampshade hanging than as a character.

I also think some people take him a little too seriously as a character. Acting like he's some kind of stain on the series is a little hyperbolic for someone you're clearly not supposed to take all that seriously.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:46 pm

A lot of people complain about Gotenks being Trunks dialled up to 11, but it makes sense as Goten always blindly follows him anyway. It's a classic case of one kid being a bad influence on another.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 pm I also think some people take him a little too seriously as a character. Acting like he's some kind of stain on the series is a little hyperbolic for someone you're clearly not supposed to take all that seriously.
There were multiple moments in the saga where Goten and Trunks said they will take the fight seriously and get their revenge on Buu for killing multiple innocent people, including their family members, so it makes sense that people expected him to be different than the way he was portrayed. The story established one thing and then completely forgets it for some "LOL FUNNY, PLZ LAUGH" comedy that makes Goten and Trunks come off as unlikeable idiots, and renders all of the moments where they got angry at Buu completely pointless.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 pmThere were multiple moments in the saga where Goten and Trunks said they will take the fight seriously and get their revenge on Buu for killing multiple innocent people, including their family members, so it makes sense that people expected him to be different than the way he was portrayed.
I didn't.

When was Gotenks' character ever hinted to be anything other than an arrogant, goofy idiot with his head firmly up his own ass? From the moment he was introduced, I never expected him to be anything more than what he appeared to be, and the story makes it clear that what you see is what you get with him.

Besides, he does (finally) start fighting seriously (and for that matter, almost wins) once he finds out Buu killed everyone. Yeah, at that point it's too late, but he does start taking the fight (relatively) more seriously. Gotenks wasn't designed to be a "super serious Saiyan badass" type of character. If anything, he's more of a mockery of that. So he's never going to take any fight 100% seriously, because he's not designed to be like that.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:30 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 pm
Majin Buu wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 pm I also think some people take him a little too seriously as a character. Acting like he's some kind of stain on the series is a little hyperbolic for someone you're clearly not supposed to take all that seriously.
There were multiple moments in the saga where Goten and Trunks said they will take the fight seriously and get their revenge on Buu for killing multiple innocent people, including their family members, so it makes sense that people expected him to be different than the way he was portrayed. The story established one thing and then completely forgets it for some "LOL FUNNY, PLZ LAUGH" comedy that makes Goten and Trunks come off as unlikeable idiots, and renders all of the moments where they got angry at Buu completely pointless.
If the joke had been funny, I probably wouldn't have minded Gotenks at all. 18 was basically a comedic side character in the Buu Arc and I absolutely loved her. And I've loved a lot of the Gotenks side stuff in the video games. He's really silly and his voice actors (both English and Japanese) are clearly having a blast voicing him. But in the context of the Buu Arc, when both his murders just got brutally murdered, him continuing to fap about instead of doing anything... It's just too hard a sell for me.

Back in the Red Ribbon Army Arc Goku has a very comedic fight with Murasaki. He pours scalding water down Murasaki's breathing reed, he forgets how to count, just wall to wall hijinks. But the moment Murasaki threatens to murder Hacchan a switch gets flipped in Goku's head and he goes from playful 12(13?) year old to murder-kill-death monkey. That's how you handle a comedic fight with high stakes. No idea why Toriyama went the other way with Gotenks (besides him having checked out mentally, of course).
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes