Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 am

In my opinion of course. If you disagree with me that's perfectly fine.

I hate Gotenks. A lot. Probably my least favorite canon character of the entire franchise. I admit that he has some fun techniques, like his Kamikaze Ghosts, but his arrogant personality is just so irritating. Didn't both Goten AND Trunks say many times that they will take their fight with Buu seriously? First when they found out about Vegeta and Gohan dying, both of them got angry and wanted to kill Buu for what he did to their loved ones, then they got even angrier when they saw Buu and Babidi killing a bunch of people. If that wasn't enough, Goten then saw Buu murdering ChiChi and got so angry he almost attacked Buu. He didn't, but he was determinated to avenge his mother and started training the second he entered the time chamber, which surprised Trunks for some reason, like what did he expect from his best friend who just saw his last family member getting killed? Toriyama completely forgot about all of these just to make Gotenks a "LOL FUNNY" character, but Gotenks is far from funny. He's obnoxious. Piccolo's reactions to Gotenks' stupidity was funny, but Gotenks himself wasn't. Then they found out about Buu killing everyone that was on the lookout, including Bulma, Trunks' mother, and you know how they reacted? They got angry for a bit, but then acted the same way they did before, absolutely nothing changed. They still fucked around with Buu instead of finishing him off already.

Them being kids is not an excuse when those kids themselves said many times before they fused that they will take this fight seriously.

Other problems with Gotenks' include him managing to transform into SSJ3 just because they saw Goku doing it ONCE. This is just as bad as Caulifla learning SSJ1 and SSJ2 in one day, i'd argue that it's even worse.

His design is also super lazy. For something that was hyped up so much, you'd expect Gotenks to have a really unique design, but he doesn't. Take Gohan's body from the Cell games, change his outfit, and replace his head with Vegeta's head. That's Gotenks.

Honestly i'm happy he isn't used anymore. He's annoying and ruined Goten and Trunks as characters for me.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Gotenks is by far the most annoying canon character of the entire franchise

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 am

I don't mind Gotenks but it's hard to argue against that he's an irritating, detestable little shit. But I think the one upside is that every other character acknowledges it which is why nobody trusts him enough to bring him along in the recent stories, and when he does just happen to be involved, he gets wrecked like a scrub. So I appreciate that he's not been shilled in any way since his debut. Really the only reason I tolerate Gotenks is because of his unique techniques as you said.

I find it risible that people in YouTube comments sections of DBZ clip channels lament how modern stories "ruined" or "disrespected" Gotenks. Gotenks disrespected himself by being such a tool.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:35 am

Fusions are inherently obnoxious.

I've never seen a fusion(outside Namekian fusion) that isn't overly confident, arrogant, and wastes time showing off how superior they are. Even Vegito and Gogeta have been shown to mess about a whole bunch in battle.

Gotenks however is a special kind of obnoxious, between the two kids who trivialised the Super Saiyan form. Goten's barely a character in his own right, and Kid Trunks, whilst making sense personality wise, can be best described as mildly grating.

Toriyama thought it'd be funny for little kids to beat up the big bad, it's one of his favourite gags looking of the whole series, but Gotenks doesn't work in the same way Gohan or Goku or even kid Krillin once did, all of whom had time to develop and endear us to them to make us root for them during these battles.

Goten and Trunks barely get any time to endear the audience to them seperately as they are immedietly forced into the fight in Goten's debut arc, and a fusion is basically a whole new character on top of that...that lasts all of 30 minutes.

Lastly fusion is utterly useless.
It just is. It never gets anything actually done in the series past five minutes of beat down action and twenty five minutes of pointless smack talk and posturing. You can count the victories achieved through fusion on one hand. Less if you only go for canon events.

Yamcha has a better win record than fusion as a whole does. Piccolo got more victories prior to fusing back with Kami...in fact he loses far more once he does. Chiaoutzu's almost got more victories than fusion.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 am

He's not my favorite character, but he has nothing on Caulifla. Not only is she the worst DB character, she's by far the worst anime character I've ever seen. Ugly design, annoying personality, equally annoying voice, terrible backstory, there's nothing good I can think of when it comes to her. Gotenks may have been annoying at times, but he at least had funny moments and epic scenes here and there. She's got non of that. There's also the fact that not only was Gotenks written as a joke, he was viewed as such in universe as well. Caulifla, based on how much screen time she got, was somehow thought to be a genuinely good character by the writers, something I'll never understand.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 am

First question: which version did you watch? Jap version of Funi dubbed?

2nd: Is this ur first impression on Gotenks as character or have you watched him even as kid & that annoyance has stayed dormant for long time?

I watched DBZ in Jap version & gotta say, I was quite irked by Gotenks initially. Put off with his stupid antics & Vegeta's arrogance. Oh yeah, not to mention the way SSJ3 status was cheapened

But when I read the manga, it's altogether different interpretation. Gotenks is one hella funny dude. His purpose, his combination scenes with Piccolo & Super Boo, plus his unique movesets as Kamikaze, Galactica Donut made Gotenks likable

Then I watched the anime. Gotta say, I started liking Gotenks even more. I couldn't pinpoint exactly why...maybe it's Nozawa & Takeshi's voice...or their chibi design...or their innocently funny yet ignorant perspectives (they're child after all duh....) on battles, power-ups & stakes made Gotenks truly an unique & funny character

I liked him. Gotta say the truth. Why don't you try watchin in Jap version? U might change ur opinion abt him. Even Pan (GT) was similar case. Started off bein super annoyed by Pan, cuz I watched Funi dubbed. I watched Jap & absolutely adored Pan-chan😂

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:03 am

Vijay wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 am First question: which version did you watch? Jap version of Funi dubbed?

2nd: Is this ur first impression on Gotenks as character or have you watched him even as kid & that annoyance has stayed dormant for long time?

I watched DBZ in Jap version & gotta say, I was quite irked by Gotenks initially. Put off with his stupid antics & Vegeta's arrogance. Oh yeah, not to mention the way SSJ3 status was cheapened

But when I read the manga, it's altogether different interpretation. Gotenks is one hella funny dude. His purpose, his combination scenes with Piccolo & Super Boo, plus his unique movesets as Kamikaze, Galactica Donut made Gotenks likable

Then I watched the anime. Gotta say, I started liking Gotenks even more. I couldn't pinpoint exactly why...maybe it's Nozawa & Takeshi's voice...or their chibi design...or their innocently funny yet ignorant perspectives (they're child after all duh....) on battles, power-ups & stakes made Gotenks truly an unique & funny character

I liked him. Gotta say the truth. Why don't you try watchin in Jap version? U might change ur opinion abt him. Even Pan (GT) was similar case. Started off bein super annoyed by Pan, cuz I watched Funi dubbed. I watched Jap & absolutely adored Pan-chan😂
Both. I first watched the Funi dub, then I watched the Japanese version. Even read the manga. Never watched Kai tho.

I always hated Gotenks, even when I was a kid, but I find him even more annoying now.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

I actually like Gotenks and would like to see more of him. He's an idiot with enormous power going up against a villainous idiot with enormous power. That dynamic makes for some hilarious moments, like when the Super Ghosts trick Buu by pretending to see a cookie on the floor, or the bit when they both headbutt each other and end up with throbbing headaches.

His techniques are also genuinely creative and interesting. You never know what crazy move he'll bust out next.

I understand why he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to me his over the top persona fits the insanity of the Buu arc perfectly, and I love the way he and Buu play off one another.

The honour of most annoying character goes to Ribrianne if you ask me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Disagree. I really enjoy Gotenks and think he's one of the highlights of the arc.

i have a laundry list of Super characters I found more annoying than him by a large margin.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Gotenks was a clear sign that Toriyama was done with the series. Just too ridiculous to take anything else in the story seriously.

However I do find him funny in the original anime. It's obnoxious and annoying, but it's supposed to be.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:02 pm Disagree. I really enjoy Gotenks and think he's one of the highlights of the arc.

i have a laundry list of Super characters I found more annoying than him by a large margin.
ROFL 🤣 the laundry list part made me lol.

It's his opinion btw. I felt Gotenks to be unique, funny boi & his haters mostly arising from (1) ridiculous overpowering (2) goofy, juvenile comedy sacrificing serious tone of DBZ (3) Goten & Trunks as characters aren't given enuf time to be allowed to grow on audiences to appreciate their Gotenks. Unlike Goku & Vegeta who had close to 250 episodes before culminatin into epic Vegito, those kids had barely 30 episodes of substantial impact in Boo Arc. Hence their fused form Gotenks isn't received too well.

But yeah, Super has like 99% annoying, least likable & most of time, downright atrocious characters in all of DB history. Honorable mentions: Luud, Mutchi-Motchi, Parapara Bros, Doltacki mfker 🤣, Dr. Myuu,Shadow Dragons.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Gotenks is one of two children in media that I actually wanted to see die. Goten and Kid Trunks aren't particularly engaging individually so you'd think their fusion would be middle of the road too but no! Gotenks is a go getter. When he decided to be a worthless piece of shit nuisance he became the single most definitive example of a worthless piece of shit nuisance. Season 1 Xander from Buffy looks at Gotenks and feels good about himself. End of series Rory Gilmore can look back at her character arc and say "Well, at least I didn't turn out like that dickhead Gotenks."

I know that Toriyama doesn't like staying with one character for too long. We see it throughout OG Dragon Ball when Toriyama would invent a new character for a scene/chapter whose role could have easily been filled by a pre-existing character. And I"m fine with that. It helps keep things fresh. But what makes Yajoribe and Upa and everyone else so easy to swallow is that they don't become the focus for thirty something episodes. They remain satellite characters until they prove engaging enough to become major players. Gotenks, by virtue of being the fusion of Goten and Trunks, has to stick around and has to play a major part. It takes what would have been a bitter pill to swallow and transforms it into a coconut sized suppository.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:27 pm Gotenks is one of two children in media that I actually wanted to see die. Goten and Kid Trunks aren't particularly engaging individually so you'd think their fusion would be middle of the road too but no! Gotenks is a go getter. When he decided to be a worthless piece of shit nuisance he became the single most definitive example of a worthless piece of shit nuisance. Season 1 Xander from Buffy looks at Gotenks and feels good about himself. End of series Rory Gilmore can look back at her character arc and say "Well, at least I didn't turn out like that dickhead Gotenks."

I know that Toriyama doesn't like staying with one character for too long. We see it throughout OG Dragon Ball when Toriyama would invent a new character for a scene/chapter whose role could have easily been filled by a pre-existing character. And I"m fine with that. It helps keep things fresh. But what makes Yajoribe and Upa and everyone else so easy to swallow is that they don't become the focus for thirty something episodes. They remain satellite characters until they prove engaging enough to become major players. Gotenks, by virtue of being the fusion of Goten and Trunks, has to stick around and has to play a major part. It takes what would have been a bitter pill to swallow and transforms it into a coconut sized suppository.

I want to ask who the other kid is but I am scared...bah! Tell me anyway!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:38 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 am In my opinion of course. If you disagree with me that's perfectly fine.

I hate Gotenks. A lot. Probably my least favorite canon character of the entire franchise. I admit that he has some fun techniques, like his Kamikaze Ghosts, but his arrogant personality is just so irritating ... Gotenks is far from funny. He's obnoxious. Piccolo's reactions to Gotenks' stupidity was funny, but Gotenks himself wasn't. Then they found out about Buu killing everyone that was on the lookout, including Bulma, Trunks' mother, and you know how they reacted? They got angry for a bit, but then acted the same way they did before, absolutely nothing changed. They still fucked around with Buu instead of finishing him off already.

Them being kids is not an excuse when those kids themselves said many times before they fused that they will take this fight seriously.

Honestly i'm happy he isn't used anymore.
100% agree with this, especially the bold part. Gotenks is absolute shit and it's horrifying to know he's 100% canon. The most annoying, detestable, stupid, arrogant, and obnoxious piece of shit there ever was. He is the prime example of why you shouldn't let kids do things--they always fuck up. He had the power (supposedly) to kill Boo, but his shit personality and shit maturity ruined it. The only thing I'll give him is that he should have technically won when he blasted Boo's remains in the RoSaT. Having smoke come out and reform Boo was kind of bullshit.

I did like him in Super when he headbutted Ginyu (in Tagoma's body) in the crotch. I laughed my ass off. However, that was a Toei move and not Toriyama, so I'll ignore it as non-canon in my personal head canon. Fuck Gotenks.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Vijay wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:09 pm
It's his opinion btw. I felt Gotenks to be unique, funny boi & his haters mostly arising from (1) ridiculous overpowering (2) goofy, juvenile comedy sacrificing serious tone of DBZ (3) Goten & Trunks as characters aren't given enuf time to be allowed to grow on audiences to appreciate their Gotenks. Unlike Goku & Vegeta who had close to 250 episodes before culminatin into epic Vegito, those kids had barely 30 episodes of substantial impact in Boo Arc. Hence their fused form Gotenks isn't received too well.
I know it's his opinion, just like the fact that I like him a lot is my opinion. I know why he's hated, as shown by some of the horrible things said about him, but I don't care.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 am He's not my favorite character, but he has nothing on Caulifla. Not only is she the worst DB character, she's by far the worst anime character I've ever seen. Ugly design, annoying personality, equally annoying voice, terrible backstory, there's nothing good I can think of when it comes to her. Gotenks may have been annoying at times, but he at least had funny moments and epic scenes here and there. She's got non of that. There's also the fact that not only was Gotenks written as a joke, he was viewed as such in universe as well. Caulifla, based on how much screen time she got, was somehow thought to be a genuinely good character by the writers, something I'll never understand.
lol caulifla is the best female character in the franchise which is not difficult because most are terrible.
the design depends on opinions but hers is equal to "gine" slender design and the same type of eyes that is cute in my opinion
her backstory is almost the same as the sun wukong at the start of his journey "an impressive and power monkey that becomes leader of other monkeys" for his power, bravery and abilities it really is pretty cool to finally have a female character who is interested in the fights because she likes it, also unlike gotenks she is relevant and has a development ...

to many she seems good and is popular it also surprises me that they still hate her .. I have seen more irritating and more disappointing characters, gotenks maybe

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:40 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 amcaulifla is the best female character in the franchise which is not difficult because most are terrible.

the design depends on opinions but hers is equal to "gine" slender design and the same type of eyes that is cute in my opinion.

her backstory is almost the same as the sun wukong at the start of his journey "an impressive and power monkey that becomes leader of other monkeys" for his power, bravery and abilities.

It really is pretty cool to finally have a female character who is interested in the fights because she likes it, she is relevant and has a development ...
Both Bulma and Android 18 put her to shame. 18's kick to Vegeta is one of the most iconic scenes in the franchise. She on the other hand has one of the most annoying personalities in DB, A Cell arc Vegeta on steroids. At least he got put in his place twice in that arc, she just kept getting rewarded.

My dislike for her design isn't exclusive to her, as I don't like any of the new over slim designs U6's Saiyans have. I'm not expecting everyone to look like Nappa, but did they have to look like stick figures with big heads ?

My issue isn't as much about her role as a leader as it's about how she gains her powers, and what she's able to do in the tournament.

They could've done that without making her so overpowered. How on earth is some nobody who didn't know about Ssjs, now able to fight (fused with Kale) a Blue Goku and even UI ? There's things in Super that don't make sense, then there's that.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:45 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 amlol caulifla is the best female character in the franchise which is not difficult because most are terrible.
Caulifla is the best character because she's cute, pretty, kickass, and basically a female Goku. I love her. Show some damn respect. If anyone in Super sucks (who's a girl), it's Kale. Scared of everything, non-assertive, yet 90% of the fandom seems to love her like she has a good trait.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 pm I want to ask who the other kid is but I am scared...bah! Tell me anyway!
The little boy from Les Miserables. There was nothing actually wrong with the character and he dies tragically but I hated the actor's voice so much I squealed when the French army shot him.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:21 pm

I truly, truly loved Gotenks when I was younger. He had a lot of original attacks, was cooly drawn, fun and cocky. He was a great surprise to me when I watched the show. Now I still find him a good character but he is a bit too cocky I guess. Still a great character and I wouldn't have been without him and his super interesting special movies.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:47 pm

Akyon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:35 amLastly fusion is utterly useless.
It just is. It never gets anything actually done in the series past five minutes of beat down action and twenty five minutes of pointless smack talk and posturing. You can count the victories achieved through fusion on one hand. Less if you only go for canon events.

Yamcha has a better win record than fusion as a whole does. Piccolo got more victories prior to fusing back with Kami...in fact he loses far more once he does. Chiaoutzu's almost got more victories than fusion.
I mean, Vegetto acted the way he did to get absorbed so he could save his friends (which I thought was a very great subversion of expectations), and Gogeta has always dominated his fights, and while he was more arrogant in Broly, he still did everything he needed, so I don't know why you're saying fusion as a whole is worthless since both Vegetto and Gogeta have a great track record (until Super retconned Vegetto's fusion into a very brief time limit). Though I forgot about GT and how that Gogeta tried to do the same thing as Vegetto, and he did defuse early, but at least he did accomplish his goal of getting rid of the negative (or was it minus?) energy engulfing the planet, so that still did something that the other characters couldn't accomplish.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash