DBZ Creative Products/Filipino Dub "Greatest Rivals" HQ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

DBZ Creative Products/Filipino Dub "Greatest Rivals" HQ

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:56 pm

I recently saw over on the Internet Archive that someone has posted a high quality version of the Filipino dub of DBZ movies 5 and 6 from Creative Products Corp (The ones with the over modulated sounding Cooler) which were released as a double feature in the mid '90s in theaters and on video, as there have only previously been garbage quality clips taken from VHS rips and poor sounding audio synced to video from other versions like Big Green though now this dub is available in much higher quality, although i'm not exactly sure what video source was used here for the recreation. That said though, this is certainly the best looking i've ever seen this particular version given how it had only terrible quality over compressed captures floating around previously.

One thing's for sure, this is definitely much better than Speedy and Big Green when it comes to foreign produced Dragon Ball dubs.

Edit: Here's a link to the Archive page.

https://archive.org/details/dbzgreatestrivals
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat May 09, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: DBZ Creative Products/Filipino Dub "Greatest Rivals" HQ

Post by LordCrumb » Sat May 09, 2020 1:37 am

Where abouts did you find them? My wife is filipino and grew up with filipino dubbed anime.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:28 am

LordCrumb wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:37 am Where abouts did you find them? My wife is filipino and grew up with filipino dubbed anime.
Found them up on Internet Archive as mentioned above.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 am

That takes me back 18 years :) First time i ve heard that version of You are the Hero https://archive.org/details/youtube-EuZbM2sfJi8
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:49 am

coola wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 am That takes me back 18 years :) First time i ve heard that version of You are the Hero https://archive.org/details/youtube-EuZbM2sfJi8
Watched the full version on the Internet Archive, and i have to say for a dub produced in that region of the world it was pretty good voice wise unlike the load of garbage that is the Speedy dub.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm

I really like Gohan in this. Especially when he's fighting. Such impressive yells.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm I really like Gohan in this. Especially when he's fighting. Such impressive yells.
The voice acting in this was pretty decent for a foreign dub, it wasn't over the top ridiculous like Big Green or incomprehensible and laughably mangled like Speedy. The only voice i thought was kind of bad is Piccolo's, it just doesn't fit him really at all.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:53 pm The voice acting in this was pretty decent for a foreign dub, it wasn't over the top ridiculous like Big Green or incomprehensible and laughably mangled like Speedy. The only voice i thought was kind of bad is Piccolo's, it just doesn't fit him really at all.
Yeah, Piccolo's is bad. And Oolong's. D:
And I felt that "Kririn" and Yajirobe could have been better. I think I liked all the rest, tho. But they really shouldn't've put that voice filter on Coola till he became cybernetic. That certainly would've been better.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:53 pm The voice acting in this was pretty decent for a foreign dub, it wasn't over the top ridiculous like Big Green or incomprehensible and laughably mangled like Speedy. The only voice i thought was kind of bad is Piccolo's, it just doesn't fit him really at all.
And I felt that "Kririn" and Yajirobe could have been better. I think I liked all the rest, tho. But they really shouldn't've put that voice filter on Coola till he became cybernetic. That certainly would've been better.
I know right, for the most part the voice work was ok with exception of those and yeah the deep over modulated robot voice doesn't fit Cooler in movie 5 but it actually does work in the next film with his metallic form. The echo reverb type effect on Goku and Vegeta's voices when they transform into their Super Saiyan forms is actually pretty cool sounding as well.

crygus

Post by crygus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Hello there. I found a bunch of English dubbed episodes from the Philippines (about 10 of them) from Dragon Ball Z. I already transferred them to AVI format. I'm just checking to see if there's interest here about this, and if so, some suggestions of where I can post these without them being taken down right away.
See attached link of a screen shot for some proof about what I have. https://imgur.com/8FfzKVt

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 pm

As someone who's had an interest in rare dubs for a while, I would love to see these get a release. The last few years brought us a large amount of previously missing content (Harmony Gold dub, Filipino Z movies 10-11, watchable encodes of Filipino Z movies 5-6, clips of the test version of BLT DB Movie 1, etc.). For even more pieces of the puzzle to come out would be awesome.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 pm
I know right, for the most part the voice work was ok with exception of those and yeah the deep over modulated robot voice doesn't fit Cooler in movie 5 but it actually does work in the next film with his metallic form. The echo reverb type effect on Goku and Vegeta's voices when they transform into their Super Saiyan forms is actually pretty cool sounding as well.
Well atleast they got the names right. Even if they seem like real literal translations of their original names. No "Clearin" like Big Green :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am

crygus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:16 pm Hello there. I found a bunch of English dubbed episodes from the Philippines (about 10 of them) from Dragon Ball Z. I already transferred them to AVI format. I'm just checking to see if there's interest here about this, and if so, some suggestions of where I can post these without them being taken down right away.
See attached link of a screen shot for some proof about what I have. https://imgur.com/8FfzKVt
Archive.org could work

crygus

Post by crygus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Fantastic! I am glad there is still interest. I will maintain contact and keep everyone posted with where my archived material is at.
Danfun64 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 pm As someone who's had an interest in rare dubs for a while, I would love to see these get a release. The last few years brought us a large amount of previously missing content (Harmony Gold dub, Filipino Z movies 10-11, watchable encodes of Filipino Z movies 5-6, clips of the test version of BLT DB Movie 1, etc.). For even more pieces of the puzzle to come out would be awesome.

crygus

Post by crygus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:57 pm

I am giving this a try. Thanks!
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am
crygus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:16 pm Hello there. I found a bunch of English dubbed episodes from the Philippines (about 10 of them) from Dragon Ball Z. I already transferred them to AVI format. I'm just checking to see if there's interest here about this, and if so, some suggestions of where I can post these without them being taken down right away.
Archive.org could work

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:28 pm

crygus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:57 pm I am giving this a try. Thanks!
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am
Archive.org could work
definitely looking forward to this!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am

Glad to know the TV series is finally found. I remember that some short off-screen clips were uploaded on YouTube over a decade ago, but they were taken down by Toei immediately, and I've never seen or heard anything since then. IIRC, the narrator was female, but maybe it will turn out to be a faulty memory. Anyway, I'm excited to see it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 am

kei17 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am Glad to know the TV series is finally found. I remember that some short off-screen clips were uploaded on YouTube over a decade ago, but they were taken down by Toei immediately, and I've never seen or heard anything since then. IIRC, the narrator was female, but maybe it will turn out to be a faulty memory. Anyway, I'm excited to see it.
Yep, the narrator is indeed female.

They also pronounce "Saiyans" correctly.

The acting is about what you'd expect if you've seen the Creative Products dubs of the movies. Similarly, the scripts aren't great, but are basically faithful translations.

Still an interesting historical curiosity to have at last! :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 am
kei17 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am Glad to know the TV series is finally found. I remember that some short off-screen clips were uploaded on YouTube over a decade ago, but they were taken down by Toei immediately, and I've never seen or heard anything since then. IIRC, the narrator was female, but maybe it will turn out to be a faulty memory. Anyway, I'm excited to see it.
Yep, the narrator is indeed female.

They also pronounce "Saiyans" correctly.

The acting is about what you'd expect if you've seen the Creative Products dubs of the movies. Similarly, the scripts aren't great, but are basically faithful translations.

Still an interesting historical curiosity to have at last! :)
As far as English versions from that region of the world go, they are pretty decent overall. There's no doubt they are hands down superior to the Big Green and Speedy dubs in every way.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:17 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm As far as English versions from that region of the world go, they are pretty decent overall. There's no doubt they are hands down superior to the Big Green and Speedy dubs in every way.
Gonna have to agree to disagree on that one; Big Green is an unparalleled masterpiece. It's the only way I can get through Z movies 3-5 without copious amount of alcohol. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.