DBZ Creative Products/Filipino Dub "Greatest Rivals" HQ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Creative Products/Filipino Dub "Greatest Rivals" HQ

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:17 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm As far as English versions from that region of the world go, they are pretty decent overall. There's no doubt they are hands down superior to the Big Green and Speedy dubs in every way.
Gonna have to agree to disagree on that one; Big Green is an unparalleled masterpiece. It's the only way I can get through Z movies 3-5 without copious amount of alcohol. :lol:
You're right, it definitely is a "so bad it's good" kind of dub much like the infamous Omni Productions/StarTV English dub of the Transformers Headmasters series. The bizarre name translations, unfitting voices on most the characters and everything else make for a hilarious experience, now the Speedy dubs on the other hand...those are just incomprehensibly awful all around.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:28 pm

This is pretty Kelamis-y :shock:
https://streamable.com/voexgt

I like the pitch of this Goku. It's up there with Corlette/Kelamis and there are some lines that this guy is pretty good. Are there English dubs for the Philippines for super or did they get Band Zoom/Funi?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 am

In hindsight, it's interesting to hear these dubs feature both Sauza with a foreign English accent and Cooler with voice modulation, albeit throughout the films instead of just in certain forms. Could be a coincidence, but it makes me wonder if Funimation ever got a hold of these back in the day? I've heard that some of their other productions were based on things like the Latin American Spanish dub, after all.

I also really enjoy this take on Goku, even if the lines/delivery can sound off from time to time. Pretty much the perfect tone of voice.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

crygus

Post by crygus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am

I'm very happy there has been excitement and interest for an interesting footnote in the long running history of Dragon Ball Z.
I am being very careful not to have these episodes taken down (hopefully ever), or publicly post direct links.
You can PM me if you'd like a clue as to where they are posted, if you haven't figured it out already where they are at.
kei17 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am Glad to know the TV series is finally found. I remember that some short off-screen clips were uploaded on YouTube over a decade ago, but they were taken down by Toei immediately, and I've never seen or heard anything since then. IIRC, the narrator was female, but maybe it will turn out to be a faulty memory. Anyway, I'm excited to see it.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 am

So dub collectors on Twitter are finally getting ahold of Crygus's recordings. In addition, one person who grew up watching this dub revealed some info about it: it seems that they redubbed the Saiyan arc after The Greatest Rivals was released! This new dub apparently got to the Freeza stuff though not quite to Goku's SSJ transformation. This dub also apparently came after a dub of the OG DB that got to around the King Piccolo stuff. But yeah, this means that around the first 30 DBZ episodes have TWO Filipino English dubs!

Edit: I just realized that I may have misinterpreted a little. Apparently they did reair the series and started airing new episodes, but he only said that there was a new cast, not that the new cast necessarily redubbed the previous episodes. It's possible that they aired the already dubbed episodes as-is and the new cast just took over where the old episodes left off. I should have considered that possibility before jumping to conclusions. My bad on that!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 am

Wouldn't it be funny if those episodes were redubbed and we had an "alternate Filipino English dub" :shock:

Suffice to say, it really is fascinating what this user recalls.

It's worth noting if it's indeed true these episodes aired around 1991-93 then that would make them the earliest known English dub of the Z series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 am Wouldn't it be funny if those episodes were redubbed and we had an "alternate Filipino English dub" :shock:

Suffice to say, it really is fascinating what this user recalls.

It's worth noting if it's indeed true these episodes aired around 1991-93 then that would make them the earliest known English dub of the Z series.
So I asked him about it and yep, they did, in fact, redub those episodes. To your second point, yes, this would be the earliest English dub. In fact, wouldn't it be one of the earliest international dubs period? I'm sure the Mandarin and French dubs probably have it beat (they were the absolute first IIRC), but this should be pretty close. It's pretty wild!

My YouTube

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am

Wow, so I totally missed this thread somehow (I just learned about this "alternate" dub from another source, so I made my own thread about it, but it looks likes no one was paying attention to it haha). One question though, which of these clips and rips are from the first dub from 1991 and which is the later redub (or are these both one and the same from the original or redub)?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am

wjbraden wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am Wow, so I totally missed this thread somehow (I just learned about this "alternate" dub from another source, so I made my own thread about it, but it looks likes no one was paying attention to it haha). One question though, which of these clips and rips are from the first dub from 1991 and which is the later redub (or are these both one and the same from the original or redub)?
From what I understand, these rips are all from the original dub, not the redub.

My YouTube

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:06 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am
wjbraden wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am Wow, so I totally missed this thread somehow (I just learned about this "alternate" dub from another source, so I made my own thread about it, but it looks likes no one was paying attention to it haha). One question though, which of these clips and rips are from the first dub from 1991 and which is the later redub (or are these both one and the same from the original or redub)?
From what I understand, these rips are all from the original dub, not the redub.
Thanks for the info! So gathering from that Twitter exchange in my first link, we can assume they only dubbed about the first 12 to 13 episodes originally, and then when they redubbed it, they did 35 or so (also adding in the English dubbed versions of the OP and ED, correct?)

No clips of the later dub of the series have cropped have they?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm

wjbraden wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:06 am
OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am
Thanks for the info! So gathering from that Twitter exchange in my first link, we can assume they only dubbed about the first 12 to 13 episodes originally, and then when they redubbed it, they did 35 or so (also adding in the English dubbed versions of the OP and ED, correct?)

No clips of the later dub of the series have cropped have they?
I think they did a bit more than that the first go around. The last episode from crygus's recordings was from the Nappa fight, which would've been around the early 20s, IIRC. No clips of the redub have popped up as far as I know. I assume the redub was where the used the dubbed OP/ED.

My YouTube

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:44 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm
I think they did a bit more than that the first go around. The last episode from crygus's recordings was from the Nappa fight, which would've been around the early 20s, IIRC. No clips of the redub have popped up as far as I know. I assume the redub was where the used the dubbed OP/ED.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Interesting stuff! :)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Gohan saying Uncle Piccolo reminds me of fansubs i have, as Gohan called him that there too :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015