Was Dragon Ball mastered at 6500K?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VDenter

Was Dragon Ball mastered at 6500K?

Post by VDenter » Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 pm

I was looking over at Dragon Box footage hooked up through RGB on my CRT and it looked nice. Of course most of us all know that the colors of the original film negatives have faded over the years and the colors aren't what they were back when the episodes were produced. So it got me thinking if someone were to color correct the footage in a professional way or just want to calibrate the display so that the show looks like it was supposed to then should they calibrate to the industry standard of 6500k? Now the reason i ask is that i read about this somewhere a long time ago that content in Japan was mastered at or somewhere around 9300K instead of 6500K. Which is a much cooler color temperature. Is there any merit to this claim? Does anyone here know?

Ajay

Re: Was Dragon Ball mastered at 6500K?

Post by Ajay » Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Colour temperature isn't going to fix the Dragon Boxes.

The white balance is not only off from episode to episode, but scene to scene. Beyond that, it requires significant hue shifts to restore it back to the original look.

It's an astonishing amount of work to fix, there's no shortcut. Film degradation is a messy beast. Not entirely sure where you got this idea of mastered colour temperature standards since that's variable depending on endless factors, but regardless, it's not relevant to fixing the boxes.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm

It's an astonishing amount of work to fix, there's no shortcut.
It could be done easily, of course, by professionals with a reasonable budget. Will it happen? No, because popular and lucrative anime made by giants like Toei don't get more than the bare minimum. Dragon Boxes are good releases, but are basically the smallest possible amount of effort they could have put in. Funny, the smaller the company, the more you tend to find the business model of "put out quality products for people to buy."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Every video master in Japan from the SD era is mastered at 9300K, so the same goes for the DBox footage. Seeing it on a 9300K monitor would somewhat neutralize the reddishness of the discolored film footage. However, it's not really a fundamental solution like Ajay said.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Zestanor wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pmFunny, the smaller the company, the more you tend to find the business model of "put out quality products for people to buy."
That's because they have to actually work for their sales, Toei and other big companies rely on brand recognition to sell their product. That's not to say every big company doesn't care about their reputation, but Toei unfortunately isn't exactly one of them.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Wed May 13, 2020 12:06 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm
That's because they have to actually work for their sales, Toei and other big companies rely on brand recognition to sell their product. That's not to say every big company doesn't care about their reputation, but Toei unfortunately isn't exactly one of them.
Yeah, and I mean I understand the position of "this was originally broadcast from fuzzy analog video tape so suck it" which is Toei's position, (and the Dragon Boxes do look quite good, color problems aside, on CRT TVs), but at the same time, it's really not that hard to do a proper HD digital transfer and cleanup. We know it's not an impossible feat because other animation studios do it.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 am

Zestanor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:06 am
Yeah, and I mean I understand the position of "this was originally broadcast from fuzzy analog video tape so suck it" which is Toei's position, (and the Dragon Boxes do look quite good, color problems aside, on CRT TVs), but at the same time, it's really not that hard to do a proper HD digital transfer and cleanup. We know it's not an impossible feat because other animation studios do it.
Iirc Toei did the recent tv specials and movie remasters in house.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:38 am

jaisonas wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:52 am
Zestanor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:06 am
Iirc Toei did the recent tv specials and movie remasters in house.
I'm pretty sure that's just speculation. I don't think we know who was responsible?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.