“There is nothing to learn from Dragon Ball,” says Akira Toriyama’s editor, Kazuhiko Torishima

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Re: “There is nothing to learn from Dragon Ball,” says Akira Toriyama’s editor, Kazuhiko Torishima

Post by Izanagi » Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Izanagi wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 pmPeople feel guilty when they invest in a kids show like Dragon Ball in their adulthood. So they make these excuses that there are some deep meaning to every arc or any meaningful character development.
Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Vegeta, Krillin, Bulma, and a handful of others don't change or develop?

I get that people can easily make Dragon Ball out to be more than it is, but I don't see any reason to go in the opposite direction and deliberately make it out to be less than it is. It can be a simple, straightforward, and somewhat shallow story and still contain character development.
I never said they don't change or develop, they do. What I'm trying to say is that character development was never one of DB's strongest points and the reason why it was popular in the first place.

In fact, sometimes their development never pays off, because Toriyama has a tendency to reset their character arc from square one when it's convenient to the plot.

See: Vegeta blowing up the World Tournament arena despite having settled down on Earth and starting a family with Bulma for 7 years.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Re: “There is nothing to learn from Dragon Ball,” says Akira Toriyama’s editor, Kazuhiko Torishima

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun May 24, 2020 11:06 pm

Izanagi wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm
Dr. Casey wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Izanagi wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 pmPeople feel guilty when they invest in a kids show like Dragon Ball in their adulthood. So they make these excuses that there are some deep meaning to every arc or any meaningful character development.
Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Vegeta, Krillin, Bulma, and a handful of others don't change or develop?

I get that people can easily make Dragon Ball out to be more than it is, but I don't see any reason to go in the opposite direction and deliberately make it out to be less than it is. It can be a simple, straightforward, and somewhat shallow story and still contain character development.
I never said they don't change or develop, they do. What I'm trying to say is that character development was never one of DB's strongest points and the reason why it was popular in the first place.

In fact, sometimes their development never pays off, because Toriyama has a tendency to reset their character arc from square one when it's convenient to the plot.

See: Vegeta blowing up the World Tournament arena despite having settled down on Earth and starting a family with Bulma for 7 years.
Bad argument. That's not a character reset, because he didn't actually really change from his old ways until the Fat Buu fight. He blew up the World Tournament arena in instigate Goku into fighting him, it wasn't random.

The end of the Cell Games didn't make him a hero, nor did he lose any of his hangups with Goku (which is why he took the Majin boost, this was outright stated in the story itself).

Settling down and starting a family doesn't mean you became a good guy or even changed all that much morally.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Izanagi wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pmWhat I'm trying to say is that character development was never one of DB's strongest points and the reason why it was popular in the first place.

Toriyama has a tendency to reset their character arc from square one when it's convenient to the plot.
I can't speak for everyone else, but one of the main reasons I love the original manga is its character development, and one of the issues I have with modern DB (apart from BOG) is its lack of character development.

This never happened in the original manga, and using Vegeta as an example makes no sense, as that was part of his development. Vegeta was trying to fight the change he was going through, resulting in him falling under Babidi's spell in order to reawaken the evil in him. The problem was, there was no evil, and he was forced to acknowledge that when he sacrificed himself. Modern DB is the complete opposite, as not only does it not develop anyone, it pretty much regressed everyone in one way or another.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 pm
Izanagi wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pmWhat I'm trying to say is that character development was never one of DB's strongest points and the reason why it was popular in the first place.

Toriyama has a tendency to reset their character arc from square one when it's convenient to the plot.
I can't speak for everyone else, but one of the main reasons I love the original manga is its character development, and one of the issues I have with modern DB (apart from BOG) is its lack of character development.

This never happened in the original manga, and using Vegeta as an example makes no sense, as that was part of his development. Vegeta was trying to fight the change he was going through, resulting in him falling under Babidi's spell in order to reawaken the evil in him. The problem was, there was no evil, and he was forced to acknowledge that when he sacrificed himself. Modern DB is the complete opposite, as not only does it not develop anyone, it pretty much regressed everyone in one way or another.
The lack of character development in Modern DB seems to be driven by Toriyama's desire for a permanent status quo in the series, which is why Goten and Kid Trunks dont age smh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun May 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pmThe lack of character development in Modern DB seems to be driven by Toriyama's desire for a permanent status quo in the series, which is why Goten and Kid Trunks dont age smh.
Not only are we seeing characters frozen in time, they're regressed so that they can undergo the same development the went through in the past. Gohan lost his powers in RF and had to regain them before the TOP, the exact same development he went through in the Buu arc, yet fans for some reason were excited about it. Whenever modern DB reaches its last arc, I expect Vegeta to give a speech about how Goku is #1, and fans will eat it up.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:44 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 pmThe lack of character development in Modern DB seems to be driven by Toriyama's desire for a permanent status quo in the series, which is why Goten and Kid Trunks dont age smh.
Not only are we seeing characters frozen in time, they're regressed so that they can undergo the same development the went through in the past. Gohan lost his powers in RF and had to regain them before the TOP, the exact same development he went through in the Buu arc, yet fans for some reason were excited about it. Whenever modern DB reaches its last arc, I expect Vegeta to give a speech about how Goku is #1, and fans will eat it up.
The excitement for Gohan regaining his powers for the ToP has nothing to do with fans thinking its good development, but simply being happy that Gohan is a relevant fighter again.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 am

It's been 7 years since Vegeta settled down on Earth and started a family with Bulma, and Toriyama has been essentially telling us to take his word for Vegeta's settling down. We see very small bits and pieces of it; an episode of his trying to figure out how to relate Trunks, his being more relaxed at the World Tournament. He tells us he eventually enjoyed the family life. Vegeta's internal conflict and coming to terms with his new life on Earth is one thing, but having the character having the character struggle with it is another story. We haven't seen him tell himself that for all the embarrassment it will bring him that this is the right thing to do, and make an inevitably clumsy effort in Boo Saga. Instead, all we have is characters saying he cares without showing anything to prove the point. In fact, this is not just a problem I have with Vegeta. This is a problem a lot of the so-called "character development" has in the series: it's really under-developed and instead of showing the audience how they've changed, they tell you.

It's fine you guys consider Vegeta's descent into darkness a crucial moment where the character comes to terms with his past and becomes one of Goku's trusted allies, or that it's a hidden gem and proof that DB's writinghas some merits, the beauty in art is interpretation. I just see Majin Vegeta as nothing more than a plot device to wake up the main villain of the arc which damaged Vegeta's character. Letting him settle down on Earth and start a family is being very forgiving IMO with a character who incited genocide on a planetary scale.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 am

Izanagi wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 am It's been 7 years since Vegeta settled down on Earth and started a family with Bulma, and Toriyama has been essentially telling us to take his word for Vegeta's settling down. We see very small bits and pieces of it; an episode of his trying to figure out how to relate Trunks, his being more relaxed at the World Tournament. He tells us he eventually enjoyed the family life. Vegeta's internal conflict and coming to terms with his new life on Earth is one thing, but having the character having the character struggle with it is another story. We haven't seen him tell himself that for all the embarrassment it will bring him that this is the right thing to do, and make an inevitably clumsy effort in Boo Saga. Instead, all we have is characters saying he cares without showing anything to prove the point. In fact, this is not just a problem I have with Vegeta. This is a problem a lot of the so-called "character development" has in the series: it's really under-developed and instead of showing the audience how they've changed, they tell you.

It's fine you guys consider Vegeta's descent into darkness a crucial moment where the character comes to terms with his past and becomes one of Goku's trusted allies, or that it's a hidden gem and proof that DB's writinghas some merits, the beauty in art is interpretation. I just see Majin Vegeta as nothing more than a plot device to wake up the main villain of the arc which damaged Vegeta's character. Letting him settle down on Earth and start a family is being very forgiving IMO with a character who incited genocide on a planetary scale.
You seem to have a really bad sense of what makes good character writing.

- Once again, settling down and starting a family doesn't make you a better person (and it doesn't even change most people at all). Hell, Vegeta was a relationship with Bulma for 3 years before the arrival of the Androids, and that didn't make him any less villainous of a character at all.

- Most of Vegeta's scenes in the Early Buu arc made it obviously clear that he's NOT really happy nor fully content with his lot in life (since none of his goals in life were fulfilled) with the way he acted around everybody (we aren't just told this). He only tolerated it post-Cell Games because he had nothing else going for him. When he heard Goku was coming back to life for 1 day, he got even more eager to join the Tournament to settle the score and achieve his old goals..

- Majin Vegeta was the natural, logical result of years of frustration and resentment he had throughout the series. It would have been bad writing (and out of character) if that subplot or something like it never happened, and before his fight with Fat Buu, Vegeta has never been the type of guy to care about the fate of the world (this is the same guy who let Cell reach his Perfect form just for his own ego, so there's nothing forced nor out of character about him being the cause of Buu's revival).

- "Letting him settle down on Earth and start a family is being very forgiving IMO with a character who incited genocide on a planetary scale."

That's terrible writing. Having an ex-antagonist (especially a non-redeemed one) have their past crimes and actions unaddressed and forgotten just because they "settled down" is really stupid. Its a major problem I have with many of the ex-villains in the series (Piccolo all of a sudden forgetting his world-domination goals after the 23rd TB, everyone immediately being okay with Fat Buu at the end of the Buu arc despite being a galactic mass murder of trillions, Tien's status as a cold-blooded assassin being forgotten after the 22nd TB, etc.) Vegeta is the only ex-villain in the franchise to actually be written and treated like an ex-villain, and its part of what makes his character stand out.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 amYou seem to have a really bad sense of what makes good character writing.
No, I just don't turn to look at Dragon Ball for good character writing and I never did. None of the characters are especially well-written, compared to other works in its genre both in its time and in the contemporary, most of the Dragon Ball characters are either underdeveloped (the Earthlings), neglected by the author (Piccolo) or plot devices defined by simple gimmicks (Bulma). Some are more fortunate like Vegeta and even so, Toriyama is not above using the character as a plot device even if it means making him look irredeemable.
Once again, settling down and starting a family doesn't make you a better person (and it doesn't even change most people at all). Hell, Vegeta was a relationship with Bulma for 3 years before the arrival of the Androids, and that didn't make him any less villainous of a character at all.
Character development doesn't need to be explicit, it can also be subtle and Vegeta developed prior to the Boo arc during the seven year timeskip. He was incredibly mad when Cell killed Trunks and through the latter's influence, he settled down with Bulma and retired from fighting, just training and got on friendly terms with the other Z Warriors such as Kuririn. Vegeta and Bulma weren't married until after Cell's demise. She just had a fling with Vegeta because Yamcha cheated on her and that relationship ended before Trunks was born. If there were any evil desires left in him, he'd have done something during those seven years, he didn't and his rematch with Goku was supposed to be friendly and he never showed any malice before getting in Babidi's ship.
Majin Vegeta was the natural, logical result of years of frustration and resentment he had throughout the series. It would have been bad writing (and out of character) if that subplot or something like it never happened, and before his fight with Fat Buu, Vegeta has never been the type of guy to care about the fate of the world (this is the same guy who let Cell reach his Perfect form just for his own ego, so there's nothing forced nor out of character about him being the cause of Buu's revival).
That's your prerogative. I like his development but it often seems inconsistent. Like saying he'll never fight again after the Cell Games, but showing no signs of retirement when we see him again or him never showing any signs of malice before getting in Babidi's ship. I'm also on the sentiment that Majin Piccolo would've worked better as an adversary than Vegeta because Piccolo and Goku actually respects one another as do Piccolo and Gohan so him going evil again would've meant something. With Vegeta, its just the same old with a coat of barely existing paint telling us, "No guys! He's totally not super evil anymore! Even though he's done exactly jack and shit to prove this!"
Vegeta is the only ex-villain in the franchise to actually be written and treated like an ex-villain, and its part of what makes his character stand out.
Vegeta's crimes never gets addressed. The guy literally got away with genocide and several counts of mass murder on Earth and Namek. Even bragged that they never got resurrected, yet everyone ignores this because he married Bulma and he's technically too strong to kill without Goku, that's why even Toriyama has gone on record saying there are no life lessons in his stories and doesn't spread any value, because you end up with a mess. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Izanagi wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm No, I just don't turn to look at Dragon Ball for good character writing and I never did. None of the characters are especially well-written,
What constitutes good writing of characters?
That's your prerogative. I like his development but it often seems inconsistent. Like saying he'll never fight again after the Cell Games, but showing no signs of retirement when we see him again or him never showing any signs of malice before getting in Babidi's ship.
You imply you know what constitutes good character writing and yet you don't see how Vegeta is not acting out of character. He has settled down by and large. He may have lost the will to fight, but he's still going to stay prepared. And he doesn't need to show signs of malice. He's different from who he was before but when circumstances change and he sees Goku's power hasn't waned along with the knowledge he may not get the chance to defeat him so he jumps at the opportunity to even the playing field.
Last edited by ABED on Mon May 25, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm

The more I look back, the more I hate the Majin Vegeta storyline. It's just such a bland way to handle Vegeta considering he's supposedly changed over the years, and then his murders are pretty much just swept under the rug again. Really boring.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Izanagi wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 amYou seem to have a really bad sense of what makes good character writing.
No, I just don't turn to look at Dragon Ball for good character writing and I never did. None of the characters are especially well-written, compared to other works in its genre both in its time and in the contemporary, most of the Dragon Ball characters are either underdeveloped (the Earthlings), neglected by the author (Piccolo) or plot devices defined by simple gimmicks (Bulma). Some are more fortunate like Vegeta and even so, Toriyama is not above using the character as a plot device even if it means making him look irredeemable.
Once again, settling down and starting a family doesn't make you a better person (and it doesn't even change most people at all). Hell, Vegeta was a relationship with Bulma for 3 years before the arrival of the Androids, and that didn't make him any less villainous of a character at all.
Character development doesn't need to be explicit, it can also be subtle and Vegeta developed prior to the Boo arc during the seven year timeskip. He was incredibly mad when Cell killed Trunks and through the latter's influence, he settled down with Bulma and retired from fighting, just training and got on friendly terms with the other Z Warriors such as Kuririn. Vegeta and Bulma weren't married until after Cell's demise. She just had a fling with Vegeta because Yamcha cheated on her and that relationship ended before Trunks was born. If there were any evil desires left in him, he'd have done something during those seven years, he didn't and his rematch with Goku was supposed to be friendly and he never showed any malice before getting in Babidi's ship.
Majin Vegeta was the natural, logical result of years of frustration and resentment he had throughout the series. It would have been bad writing (and out of character) if that subplot or something like it never happened, and before his fight with Fat Buu, Vegeta has never been the type of guy to care about the fate of the world (this is the same guy who let Cell reach his Perfect form just for his own ego, so there's nothing forced nor out of character about him being the cause of Buu's revival).
That's your prerogative. I like his development but it often seems inconsistent. Like saying he'll never fight again after the Cell Games, but showing no signs of retirement when we see him again or him never showing any signs of malice before getting in Babidi's ship. I'm also on the sentiment that Majin Piccolo would've worked better as an adversary than Vegeta because Piccolo and Goku actually respects one another as do Piccolo and Gohan so him going evil again would've meant something. With Vegeta, its just the same old with a coat of barely existing paint telling us, "No guys! He's totally not super evil anymore! Even though he's done exactly jack and shit to prove this!"
Vegeta is the only ex-villain in the franchise to actually be written and treated like an ex-villain, and its part of what makes his character stand out.
Vegeta's crimes never gets addressed. The guy literally got away with genocide and several counts of mass murder on Earth and Namek. Even bragged that they never got resurrected, yet everyone ignores this because he married Bulma and he's technically too strong to kill without Goku, that's why even Toriyama has gone on record saying there are no life lessons in his stories and doesn't spread any value, because you end up with a mess. :lol:
Um... this works more against YOUR argument than it does agaisnt theirs.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm The more I look back, the more I hate the Majin Vegeta storyline. It's just such a bland way to handle Vegeta considering he's supposedly changed over the years, and then his murders are pretty much just swept under the rug again. Really boring.
It's his last desperate grasp to be who he used to be. If you're looking for a story that passes moral judgment on its characters, you're looking at the wrong story. That doesn't make it poorly written.
I'm also on the sentiment that Majin Piccolo would've worked better as an adversary than Vegeta because Piccolo and Goku actually respects one another as do Piccolo and Gohan so him going evil again would've meant something.
It wouldn't have since it would have been purely external. Piccolo changed and never had any inlination to going back to his previous self. If Vegeta doesn't finally settle his issues with Goku it all feels like all set up no payoff
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 25, 2020 6:18 pm

ABED wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm The more I look back, the more I hate the Majin Vegeta storyline. It's just such a bland way to handle Vegeta considering he's supposedly changed over the years, and then his murders are pretty much just swept under the rug again. Really boring.
It's his last desperate grasp to be who he used to be. If you're looking for a story that passes moral judgment on its characters, you're looking at the wrong story. That doesn't make it poorly written.
I'm also on the sentiment that Majin Piccolo would've worked better as an adversary than Vegeta because Piccolo and Goku actually respects one another as do Piccolo and Gohan so him going evil again would've meant something.
It wouldn't have since it would have been purely external. Piccolo changed and never had any inlination to going back to his previous self. If Vegeta doesn't finally settle his issues with Goku it all feels like all set up no payoff
Nope, I just think I know better than Toriyama Akira.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:24 pm

Any potential for a Majin Piccolo character ended in the Android saga. Shit, the Frieza arc if you really want to examine it.

Vegeta's unhealthy obsession with Goku is the core of his relapse. And I always thought it was fairly realistic. Vegeta's a highly impulsive individual and the big reason he settled down to begin with was his anguish over again...his failure to surpass Goku and now never having a chance to settle the score again. Even though he'd "changed," he was still carrying all of that baggage and naturally it'd come raging back to the surface once the object of all of his lunacy comes back again.

Vegeta settled down, but he never really repented for his transgressions...really, until the Moro arc.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:24 pm Any potential for a Majin Piccolo character ended in the Android saga. Shit, the Frieza arc if you really want to examine it.

Vegeta's unhealthy obsession with Goku is the core of his relapse. And I always thought it was fairly realistic. Vegeta's a highly impulsive individual and the big reason he settled down to begin with was his anguish over again...his failure to surpass Goku and now never having a chance to settle the score again. Even though he'd "changed," he was still carrying all of that baggage and naturally it'd come raging back to the surface once the object of all of his lunacy comes back again.

Vegeta settled down, but he never really repented for his transgressions...really, until the Moro arc.
This and Goku's time limit. If he had the option to fight Goku after dealing with Babidi I doubt he would've let Babidi turn him into his minion.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Izanagi wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm
Once again, you prove to have no idea what good writing is lmao. And you're still using the "settling down makes you good" fallacy.

"He was incredibly mad when Cell killed Trunks and through the latter's influence, he settled down with Bulma and retired from fighting, just training and got on friendly terms with the other Z Warriors such as Kuririn."

- 1st of all, getting mad at Cell for killing Trunks isn't really a sign of turning good (evil folks can feel family ties too), nor is getting married. 2nd, no, he was not at all in friendly terms with the rest of the Z-fighters (especially Goku) until the end of the Buu saga, idk what show you're watching. 3rd, Vegeta had no incentive to go on any villainous rampage during the 7 year gap (Goku was dead, Gohan retired and no new powerful enemy appeared on Earth during the time period, so he just wasted away at Capsule Corp.), that doesn't mean the desire wasn't still there.

- Majin Piccolo would have been an extremely stupid idea lol, because Piccolo had absolutely no reason or incentive to ever turn evil again, especially if he respects Goku like you say (the fact that you would even consider it a good idea discredits anything you have to say about DB's writing lmao).

Any malice Piccolo had for Goku (or in general) basically died after the Raditz fight. His beef/rivalry with Goku wasn't even driven by the same things as Vegeta's rivalry. Piccolo's was simply motivated by revenge against Goku killing his dad/past self, he was never about being the strongest in the universe, greatest fighter, etc. When he finally got it (Raditz fight), he didn't get any gratification from it and it basically ended there.

- "No guys! He's totally not super evil anymore! Even though he's done exactly jack and shit to prove this!"

Wrong again lmao.The only time the Buu Saga actually starts to portray Vegeta as "not evil anymore" was during the Fat Buu fight, which was also the first time Vegeta actively sought out to make up for any past wrongdoings. So that's a BS complaint you made.

- "Vegeta's crimes never gets addressed. The guy literally got away with genocide and several counts of mass murder on Earth and Namek."

More BS lmao. Vegeta until the end of the Buu saga was treated and viewed with contempt and suspicion by the rest of the Z-crew (except Bulma's parents who don't really know his past lol), exactly because of his past crimes and actions.

Goku flat out stated that he hated him until he gave his death speech on Namek, Piccolo flat out tells Vegeta that he's going straight to Hell right before he makes his sacrifice, the Human fighters were particularly hostile to him in every scene they shared with him before the later Buu arc, when he gets injured, people werent in any rush to help him, etc. He is the only ex-villain to ever get this kind of treatment by the rest of the cast (all the other were immediately befriended more or less). The only reason they tolerated his presence was due to then having to deal with even worse, more powerful villains than him.

The only characters before the end of Z to even try to make some kind of positive connection with him are Goku, Bulma (and her family), the Trunks' and to a lesser extent Gohan, yet even they were often just as hostile to him then.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 25, 2020 8:07 pm

You must obviously be childless nor don't know any parents of your age range if you think settling down and starting a family morally changes you.

And no, his murders at the tournament WEREN'T swepted under a rug. He is immediately chastised for it by Goku and the others, is a major reason for him deciding to make the sacrifice against Buu, and Bulma especially takes it apon herself to bring those people back with the Dragonballs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm - 1st of all, getting mad at Cell for killing Trunks isn't really a sign of turning good (evil folks can feel family ties too),
but in this case it was a sign of change. Earlier in the arc when Bulma and baby Trunks were almost killed, he did nothing and didn't react. Clearly something has changed within him. Then he told Gohan he was sorry when his arm got shattered protecting him.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:07 pm
You must obviously be childless nor don't know any parents of your age range if you think settling down and starting a family morally changes you.

And no, his murders at the tournament WEREN'T swepted under a rug. He is immediately chastised for it by Goku and the others, is a major reason for him deciding to make the sacrifice against Buu, and Bulma especially takes it apon herself to bring those people back with the Dragonballs.
It's fiction. I'm being critical of it as fiction. It's a storyline where Vegeta just go back to his peaceful life afterwards. It's a fault of Toriyama's lack of planning.

Also, I know plenty of parents my age. None of them are genocidal maniacs.

Sadly, I can't have kids. Thanks for reminding me I'll never have a cute child call me 'mommy'.
She/Her
bisexual milf