What would Toei have done with GT if it had gone on longer?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Re: What would Toei have done with GT if it had gone on longer?

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm Then they could add Goten and Trunks. Make them go shopping with girls only to find some thugs trying to rob store and give Trunks and Goten some kind of Great Saiyaman vibes. Anything to just see girls actually talk to each other which if i'm not mistaked never even happened in series. At least Pan and Bra since Marron is a bit older so she might not like to hang out with them.
I could see more content with Goten going on dates gone wrong, but having the girls talk to each other is verboten in this genre lol. Remember the time Lunch and Bulma talked to each other all those times they crashed at Kame House? Me neither!

Will probably regret taking this bait but
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 am Pretty sure the girls wouldn't hang out more not because "it's shounen" but because certain powerful men hate women.
wut

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Introduce more transformations for Goku.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:31 pm Introduce more transformations for Goku.
I would personally stick to SSJ4 but maybe give it some boost, like SSJ4 Kaioken or controllable Super Full Power Saiyan 4 state so he doesn't need to get energy from everyone, kinda like how Goku didn't need ritual to achieve SSJG after BoG arc. And make Vegeta able to go SSJ4 at will, either by making his tail regrow or by Bulma constructing some kind of portable device like she did for Great Saiyaman, so Vegeta would just push button and this device would fill him with Bruits waves. Vegeta fans would probably be upset again by this but i think it would wctually be pretty cool idea as it's nice to see Bulma being helpful with her knowledge.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Zestanor wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 am Pretty sure the girls wouldn't hang out more not because "it's shounen" but because certain powerful men hate women.
wut
Women-hating men make cartoons, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm Women-hating men make cartoons, too.
Are you saying that Toriyama and the professionals who adapted his work to television hate women? um. (I probably hate women too, by that metric, which is why I probably shouldn't have engaged this...)

It's the genre and its tradition. Girls talking to each other is for Shoujo and Seinen, which Japanese boys can certainly watch if they want. Shounen, for various reasons, is kept strictly male in perspective.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Zestanor wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm Women-hating men make cartoons, too.
Are you saying that Toriyama and the professionals who adapted his work to television hate women? um. (I probably hate women too, by that metric, which is why I probably shouldn't have engaged this...)

It's the genre and its tradition. Girls talking to each other is for Shoujo and Seinen, which Japanese boys can certainly watch if they want. Shounen, for various reasons, is kept strictly male in perspective.
Toriyama Akira doesn't make animation. He makes comics and does some character designs. I'm talking about Morishita Kouzou, Producer of Dragon Ball and Series Director Kasai (who was apparently giving Scenarist Maekawa Atsushi a shit-ton of leniency to do whatever he wanted).
Transformation?! Pan’s Super Saiyan

And so Dragon Ball GT finally began. But during the early phase of the program, there were many episodes where Pan was very active.
Pan’s role was to be strong but still lose to the enemies and then be rescued by Goku, to be a “heroine who makes Goku a hero”. To go off-topic a bit, even the hit movie Titanic moved women because it’s a story where the heroine (now an old woman) remembers the hero; isn’t that basic movie-making? If the hero doesn’t rescue the heroine, maybe adults will understand that life is like that too sometimes, but for children it becomes a very harsh story. Stories where the hero rescues the heroine have a sense of security. Therefore we created a pattern where Pan is imperiled and Goku gets mad at the enemy: “I won’t let you get away with this!”
Though Pan has Saiyan blood, she never becomes a Super Saiyan.
Dragon Ball GT has an episode where Pan is turned into a doll, but that episode established the pattern of “Pan sets the incident in motion while Goku resolves it”. So it would break that pattern to make Pan a Super Saiyan and strong. But perhaps Pan could have become a Super Saiyan if the episode where she was turned into a doll had been a later one.
Pan’s the sort of character who goes even if told not to, so it’s easy to have her cause trouble (laughs).
That’s right. If we were to have Trunks kick things off, then we would first have to explain why level-headed Trunks would act recklessly, which is the most boring thing: an explanation that’s just there to set up another explanation.
Also bare in mind that Matsui Aya was the lone female voice in the room and even then her influence seemed to be very minute, especially after she left the series after Episode #22. Morishita also mentions that they original came up with 26 episodes worth of stories but changed course in the middle. I imagine that means they stopped using their original stories after Episode #15 and began doing the M2 arc for #16-22, then Matsui left and Maekawa look over developing the Baby arc (or Morishita and Kasai shared those duties until #41 and then Maekawa took over).

Dragon Ball GT was made by men from a previous generation of animation worker and who apparently had a very old school (re: misogynist and just plain dumb ideology). Meanwhile, the latter half of Dragon Ball Super--where Morishita Kouzou had less influence--features women in far less patronizing roles. Videl slaps the shit out of Barry, Mai puts up some resistance against Black and even motivates Trunks, the Tournament of Power has numerous strong women fighting for themselves and other women.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 22, 2020 11:59 pm

I'm not watching Super ("Barry" isn't ringing a bell; new character?), so I'll take your word for it, but I don't see a big difference between DB, DBZ, and DBGT in this regard. And I've seen that block quote before but never been terribly concerned by it. The Podcast pointed it out on the GT Review and they were incensed, but I dunno, seems pretty typical to me. Damsel in distress is a literary archetype. Add to it Pan is a child. It might be a tired trope to some but I fail to see how you can determine this guy and a whole aged "generation of animation workers" hate women. I suppose you and they would disagree about society, but that's not enough to make them bad people, or explicitly ideologues of any sort.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 23, 2020 12:08 am

Pan was at least the most prominent character besides Goku in GT. Yeah, she was the damsel in distress for much of it, but she did at least know how to fight, and she did at least prove to be useful on a few occasions.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:08 am Pan was at least the most prominent character besides Goku in GT. Yeah, she was the damsel in distress for much of it, but she did at least know how to fight, and she did at least prove to be useful on a few occasions.
I imagine Matsui at least influenced the Pan scenes early on to give her some degree of dignity. I need to rewatch GT to pay better attention now that I'm, like, no longer a teenage girl but at actual thirty year old woman. :lol:
Zestanor wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:59 pm I'm not watching Super ("Barry" isn't ringing a bell; new character?), so I'll take your word for it, but I don't see a big difference between DB, DBZ, and DBGT in this regard. And I've seen that block quote before but never been terribly concerned by it. The Podcast pointed it out on the GT Review and they were incensed, but I dunno, seems pretty typical to me. Damsel in distress is a literary archetype. Add to it Pan is a child. It might be a tired trope to some but I fail to see how you can determine this guy and a whole aged "generation of animation workers" hate women. I suppose you and they would disagree about society, but that's not enough to make them bad people, or explicitly ideologues of any sort.
Barry Khan, the model that Majin Buu copies of the face of back in the original comic. Videl and Gohan interact with him in Dragon Ball Super Episodes #73-74.

Anyway, it's a kids cartoon. It shouldn't be re-enforcing harmful ideologies, it should be normalizing respect between children of all genders. If a five year old child isn't watching a cartoon and thinking "Damn, this girl's cool!" like they were a character of a different gender then there's something wrong. Morishita's idea of "Oh, it's the girl therefore she needs to be saved" is some BS that goes to show a major character flaw within himself.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am

If a five year old child isn't watching a cartoon and thinking "Damn, this girl's cool!" like they were a character of a different gender then there's something wrong. Morishita's idea of "Oh, it's the girl therefore she needs to be saved" is some BS that goes to show a major character flaw within himself.
There is nothing wrong with seeing a character who happens to be female and not thinking she's cool. She simply isn't to that person. I personally like Pan and think she's cool. I feel the same way about Caulifla, and there are men in the show I don't think are cool. But not because the character's gender or anything. And "guy saves the girl" is a standard trope, and it has been for centuries. It has nothing to do with character flaws of the person who writes the story. You're simply upset that some people have different notions of gender, gender roles, storytelling tropes, etc. and are trying to make a big issue of it. Simply because this guy thinks Pan (a kid, mind you) needs to be saved doesn't mean he has issues with himself, his beliefs, or anything else. It's not a negative stereotype, it's not misogyny, and it doesn't mean anything that a kid might not think Pan is cool (which is anecdotal anyway). here is nothing wrong with believing a woman needs to be saved/helped, and there isn't anything wrong with believing the opposite like you do. Neither viewpoint is misogynistic or "dumb." I'm not Mike or anything, but please don't bring up personal problems based on an interpretation into this. We're trying to have fun and discuss DB, not get into an ideological debate about the rights and wrongs of gender roles and ideologies.

As for the topic itself, SSJ 5 would have inevitably shown up at some point. Goku would have continued to be the main/only character. Nothing impressive, pretty much like all of GT (in my opinion).

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat May 23, 2020 4:46 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am There is nothing wrong with seeing a character who happens to be female and not thinking she's cool.
There is if it's for the wrong reasons.

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am And "guy saves the girl" is a standard trope, and it has been for centuries. It has nothing to do with character flaws of the person who writes the story.
You are correct in that it has little to do with the personal character of the writer, and much more to do with the standard trope itself, which is indeed a negative and misogynistic one.

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am There is nothing wrong with believing a woman needs to be saved/helped, and there isn't anything wrong with believing the opposite like you do. Neither viewpoint is misogynistic or "dumb."
The former viewpoint is definitely misogynistic, at least.

None of this is based upon my personal feelings or opinions, by the way.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am

Why would it go any longer? Episode 64 was clearly the definitive conclusion of GT. Omega Shenron, who was the strongest non-Super villain, was defeated and the universe was saved, Goku left with Shenron and went God only knows where, and the world was pretty much at peace. At this point the show would just be a slice of life anime where people have fun during peace time... which would be terrible. Yes slice of life episodes are always welcomed after a very serious arc, but an ENTIRE ARC of people shopping or playing with their dog? Hell no.

If u want GT to go for longer than 64 episodes, you'd have to overhaul the entire show as you yourself acknowledged by making the pacing longer.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun May 24, 2020 12:31 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:46 am
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am There is nothing wrong with believing a woman needs to be saved/helped, and there isn't anything wrong with believing the opposite like you do. Neither viewpoint is misogynistic or "dumb."
It really isn't. It says nothing bad about women. It's literally saving the character by a man. The only issue is that some people think every female character needs to be a cookie cutter copy of "strong, tough, and independent" or else it's misogyny. Ignoring the fact that Pan is a kid and kids do nothing but screw up (ex. Gotenks in the Majin Boo arc), there isn't anything wrong with her being saved. But again, since she isn't written as a tough, independent woman you guys think it's misogyny when it is nothing of the sort. Misogyny would be more letting Pan get into trouble and not helping her because she's a girl. I think you all forget that misogyny is generally a hatred of women, not simply following gender roles and tropes.

Hell, look at (most) men in cartoons (at least American ones). The fathers are always portrayed as bumbling idiots (Jimmy Neutron's dad, Timmy Turner's dad) or generally in a negative light (Pearl's dad Mr. Krabs). None of you all are saying it's misandry for always portraying men as stupid. But a girl needs to be rescued? "Misogyny." You all are ridiculous.

One thing I forgot to say about the actual thread topic is that I believe there also would have eventually been Goku returning to his normal (adult) form, not his kid form from the start of GT. Omega Shenron also could have been easily surpassed if a concept like Destroyers had been made and the series continued. Or the writers of GT could have taken the route Toriyama seems to be taking with Super in that it isn't just strength/power level that matters, but an ability or gimmick. Outsmarting the opponent and or overcoming his/her ability, not just getting a new transformation and overpowering him/her. That said, that would require thinking which isn't a concept used for most all of GT. The only thing it gets right--in my opinion--is that the story got back to being about Dragon Balls.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am Why would it go any longer? Episode 64 was clearly the definitive conclusion of GT.
I believe OP meant if the final episode had been different, or if the shadow dragons had been held off for a later arc. Not just continuing after episode 64. Had Toei known it would continue, ep. 64 would have been different in the ending, at least. Goku wouldn't die (for long, anyway) and a new threat would soon appear.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:31 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:46 am
It really isn't. It says nothing bad about women. It's literally saving the character by a man. The only issue is that some people think every female character needs to be a cookie cutter copy of "strong, tough, and independent" or else it's misogyny. Ignoring the fact that Pan is a kid and kids do nothing but screw up (ex. Gotenks in the Majin Boo arc), there isn't anything wrong with her being saved. But again, since she isn't written as a tough, independent woman you guys think it's misogyny when it is nothing of the sort. Misogyny would be more letting Pan get into trouble and not helping her because she's a girl. I think you all forget that misogyny is generally a hatred of women, not simply following gender roles and tropes.
Misogyny has a much broader definition than its most literal meaning. But there are plenty of other terms that can be used if you prefer. Plain old 'sexism' is one. Whether or not a character is written as "tough and independent" is irrelevant. As long as the sexist trope of women being saved by men continues, there is a problem. There are clear negative messages regarding women and gender that are sent to viewers. Particularly children, whose brains are especially vulnerable.

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:31 am Hell, look at (most) men in cartoons (at least American ones). The fathers are always portrayed as bumbling idiots (Jimmy Neutron's dad, Timmy Turner's dad) or generally in a negative light (Pearl's dad Mr. Krabs). None of you all are saying it's misandry for always portraying men as stupid. But a girl needs to be rescued? "Misogyny." You all are ridiculous.
"But what about the men?!" is a nonsensical way to respond to a claim of sexism and misogyny. Naturally, any notion of "misandry" or sexism towards men is incomparable to circumstances involving women.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:05 am

Zestanor wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:24 pm Do we know they wanted it to go longer anyway? 64 episodes is longer than most anime
Knowing Toei, they would have keep on milking it to the ground. GT had a way shorter run than DB and DBZ did. They probably would have kept it longer at the time if GT was more sucessful.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:13 am

Re: Powerful men hating women

TBH, I do think "hating women" is a strong way to put it, but I think it is fairly obvious that the people at Toei at the time were pretty misogynistic... It was quite an eye-opener for me when a friend of mine pointed out that pretty much 99% of Roshi's perverse antics in the show are anime-only additions... It's really quite shocking when you realise that pretty much Toei's go-to anime padding tactic was to cut away to Roshi doing something perverted in an attempt to give the audience a laugh... -_-

And really, the misogyny in Dragon Ball isn't just on Toei's end. Toriyama wrote a grand total of five women in primary roles in the 11-year-long original manga run; Bulma, Lunch, Chichi, Videl, and #18.
Of them, Lunch is rather underused in a lot of her run (for some reason she stayed behind for the 21st Tenkaichi, then she was given nothing to do in Red Ribbon or Piccolo Daimao) then wasn't present at all in the last two thirds of the manga run; Chichi is flanderised and downplayed as an annoying, nagging housewife despite strong initial characterisation, and while Videl similarly has a strong start, by the time the main Boo arc plot kicks in, her agency in the story is totally removed, and her role becomes "The girl who worries after Gohan."
In fairness, I'm pretty sure Toriyama has admitted himself that he's not great at writing women, but acknowledging a flaw and addressing it are two different things. (Though, in fairness, he does seem to have got better at it with Super. Still a long way to go, but he's improved, certainly)

For GT specifically, as noted, Pan was approached as a damsil in distress. One could easily try to solely blame one or two people for this, though the way this is talked about seems to me to be something that would've been discussed in formulation of the show, which would have involved many of Toei's writers, and would have been done with strong influence from Toriyama himself; remember that Toriyama did designs of basically all the main characters in the initial cast, he signed off on every story they were doing in the first chunk, and in general, he was heavily involved in GT's initial formulation. I'm sure there were people involved who weren't happy with it, but it seems the majority were either in support of it, or didn't care (which, really, is just as bad as being in support, in this case).

So... GT was formulated by some people with misogynistic attitudes, and that clearly bled into the work. It's not at all out of line to suggest that GT probably wouldn't have passed the Bechdel Test even if it had lasted long enough to have loads of regular slice of life episodes.

(For those unaware: The Bechdel Test is an idea named after Alison Bechdel, the woman who came up with it, who came up with it as a comment on the state of female representation in media; a piece of media passes the test if there are at least two women in it, who have at least one conversation that isn't about a man, or men in general. In case it needs to be said, it doesn't really say anything about the quality of a work, but it does say a lot about the attitudes that went into making it if an ensemble piece that ran for over a decade didn't have a single scene where two women talk about something that isn't a man... Though, granted, I haven't actually scrubbed through all of Dragon Ball to confirm this for certain, but I'm pretty sure the original 1986-1997 TV run fails the test. Anyway, the test has more broad applications than examining one work; take a look at which Oscar-nominated movies over the past few years pass the test, which action movies pass the test, etc. It's quite interesting. See also: The Mako Mori Test, inspired by Pacific Rim, which is far more forgiving; it's simply "Does a female lead have an arc that doesn't revolve around male characters?"... I don't think Dragon Ball passes that one either)

Having said that, we are ultimately exploring the realm of fantasy, so no reason we can't imagine an idealised version of GT where they would have done an episode where the girls hang out and get to have an episode largely to themselves. And Pan goes Super Saiyan at some point in the extra arcs, etc.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am Why would it go any longer? Episode 64 was clearly the definitive conclusion of GT. Omega Shenron, who was the strongest non-Super villain, was defeated and the universe was saved, Goku left with Shenron and went God only knows where, and the world was pretty much at peace. At this point the show would just be a slice of life anime where people have fun during peace time... which would be terrible. Yes slice of life episodes are always welcomed after a very serious arc, but an ENTIRE ARC of people shopping or playing with their dog? Hell no.

If u want GT to go for longer than 64 episodes, you'd have to overhaul the entire show as you yourself acknowledged by making the pacing longer.
The reason GT had a conclusive ending in episodes 41-64 is because Toei very clearly knew those would be the last. If GT had gone on longer, episodes 41-64 would have been quite different.

The entire show wouldn't have overhauled, but I imagine we'd have had at least one further full story arc between Baby and Evil Dragons. (Super #17 barely counts as a story arc to me; it's a 7-episode mad dash to set things up for the Evil Dragons arc, to take them to their perfect ending)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 pm

I’m pretty sure there is some anime filler that would qualify as passing the Bechdel Test. I’m gonna be honest though, I never entirely understood the big deal about the Bechdel Test. Wasn’t it conceived as a joke?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 pm I’m pretty sure there is some anime filler that would qualify as passing the Bechdel Test. I’m gonna be honest though, I never entirely understood the big deal about the Bechdel Test. Wasn’t it conceived as a joke?
It kinda was, but it was making a point. It's not a test in the sense that if you pass these criteria, it's a feminist work, but lamenting how many stories don't have their characters don't have their characters talking about a guy." It's a humorous but good observation. It's not an actual test, and says nothing about the quality of the media that either does or doesn't "pass the test".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 pm I’m pretty sure there is some anime filler that would qualify as passing the Bechdel Test. I’m gonna be honest though, I never entirely understood the big deal about the Bechdel Test. Wasn’t it conceived as a joke?
It kinda was, but it was making a point. It's not a test in the sense that if you pass these criteria, it's a feminist work, but lamenting how many stories don't have their characters don't have their characters talking about a guy." It's a humorous but good observation. It's not an actual test, and says nothing about the quality of the media that either does or doesn't "pass the test".
There’s not really a shortage of female centered stories though, especially nowadays, is there? By all accounts, female centered stories have become pretty common. Hell, that She Ra reboot was apparently pretty popular.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 24, 2020 1:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:09 pm
ABED wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm
There’s not really a shortage of female centered stories though, especially nowadays, is there? By all accounts, female centered stories have become pretty common. Hell, that She Ra reboot was apparently pretty popular.
The issue doesn't come down to numbers.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.