Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm Btw, on the Pioneer intro clip, is that music from Peter Berring? it doesn't sound like wasserman, but it sounds a bit like Berring
Probably. It definitely seemed like it was produced before Funimation switched to Ocean Studios and Saban instead of BLT and Seagull Entertainment. It’s the same narrator for Dragon Ball instead of the one they used for Z.

The one report also mentions “Piccolo” sounding like Spider-man from the 90s cartoon which makes me think it wasn’t Scott Mcneil as they sound nothing alike.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm Btw, on the Pioneer intro clip, is that music from Peter Berring? it doesn't sound like wasserman, but it sounds a bit like Berring
I've been looking all over and can't find it.. I'm gonna keep trying to find it. It has to be around the late 90's/early 2000's. It was during the Anipike days.

I was just thinking if anything from this dub was re-used for the sound effects in Rock the Dragon. There is definitely in-show screams used to fill in stuff but there is that one small clip from Dead Zone but the audio is really low/sped up

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm
Probably. It definitely seemed like it was produced before Funimation switched to Ocean Studios and Saban instead of BLT and Seagull Entertainment. It’s the same narrator for Dragon Ball instead of the one they used for Z.

The one report also mentions “Piccolo” sounding like Spider-man from the 90s cartoon which makes me think it wasn’t Scott Mcneil as they sound nothing alike.
I had the theory that little clip was used for pitching material, when the show was pitched to Saban

And dude, this looks so early that the show's logo is just a low quality jpeg from the Jap version

Also... where does that shot that is on the Pioneer intro comes from... it was one from planet earth..

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 pm

I always assumed it was from the buu saga for some reason lol

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:55 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 pm
It's actually a shot from the very, VERY end of Z movie 2:

This, and the other shots from Z movie 2 in that Pioneer DVD single clip do make me wonder if the gang also dubbed Z movie 2 at the same time as the "Vendar" dub of Z movie 1. It would explain why they did Z movie 3 in Saban season 2, instead of either (or both) of the first two movies.
It would also mean that all three Pioneer movies had a full, alternate, edited counterpart recorded with Ian Corlett as Goku, which would be hella neat.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:55 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 pm
It's actually a shot from the very, VERY end of Z movie 2:

This, and the other shots from Z movie 2 in that Pioneer DVD single clip do make me wonder if the gang also dubbed Z movie 2 at the same time as the "Vendar" dub of Z movie 1. It would explain why they did Z movie 3 in Saban season 2, instead of either (or both) of the first two movies.
It would also mean that all three Pioneer movies had a full, alternate, edited counterpart recorded with Ian Corlett as Goku, which would be hella neat.
I also thought the same thing

Imagine if the Tree of Might edited dub was actually recorded before the series dub began, and that's why Ian Corlett is in there

I think Movie two was dubbed, i mean, in the same Pioneer intro we see some of it, and that would explain the sfx and the voice samples on Rock the Dragon

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:17 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm Imagine if the Tree of Might edited dub was actually recorded before the series dub began, and that's why Ian Corlett is in there
Almost certainly not; it would have been recorded in season 2.
Remember, Ian Corlett didn't quit until halfway into season 2.
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm I think Movie two was dubbed, i mean, in the same Pioneer intro we see some of it, and that would explain the sfx and the voice samples on Rock the Dragon
Well, there's no real evidence of it yet. But it would certainly be interesting if it was.

Maybe someone can ask Ian Corlett. He seems to have a good memory for this stuff.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Pretty sure it was confirmed Tree of Might was also the last thing Corlett recorded was Tree of Might, even though it ended up airing a few episodes into Kelamis taking over the role.

I dunno, I doubt Funimation bothered dubbing movie 2. Seems like movie 1 was dubbed the same reason Dragon Ball’s first movie was dubbed as a pilot to sell to networks

Sure 95 percent of Rock the Dragon footage is the first 3 movies but they also threw in Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Vegeta and Trunks. Despite not even being sure if they would get more than one seaso. Best not to think too hard about Funimation’s decisions

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm Pretty sure it was confirmed Tree of Might was also the last thing Corlett recorded was Tree of Might, even though it ended up airing a few episodes into Kelamis taking over the role.
Interesting.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm I dunno, I doubt Funimation bothered dubbing movie 2. Seems like movie 1 was dubbed the same reason Dragon Ball’s first movie was dubbed as a pilot to sell to networks
Ian Corlett once said that "Test dubs" and such were very rare in those days because of how expensive it was to produce these kinds of things. And, as we know, DB movie 1 was commercially exploited after its production, so I doubt they produced Z movie 1's 1996 dub with the idea that it wouldn't see the light of day. And, if they were planning on it being commercially exploited, it's not a huge stretch for them to have also done one other movie, if there's some evidence pointing to them having done it.

But at this point, we can only theorise. The only one we know to be real is Z movie 1.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm Sure 95 percent of Rock the Dragon footage is the first 3 movies but they also threw in Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Vegeta and Trunks. Despite not even being sure if they would get more than one seaso. Best not to think too hard about Funimation’s decisions
That footage comes from the second Z OP, which Funi was given along with their movie and TV episode footage to use as they pleased. :P

Funny thing is, you're actually burying the lede on a good point in your dismisal there: It's kinda weird that Funi got ahold of the first three Z movies, even using footage from each one in the Rock The Dragon opening, when the rest of their footage acquisition at that time was only footage that they were planning to imminently use (DB movie 1 and episodes 1-26 along with some OP/ED footage, DBZ episodes 1-26 then later 27-67 along with some OP/ED footage)... Why did they get all three of the first three Z movies when they were just starting out doing Z?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Just for claficaiton, when you guys say "Pioneer intro clip" are you referring to this https://www.kanzenshuu.com/generalinfo/ ... lpromo.mp4 one from the article in the OP, or am I missing something here?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:30 pm Pretty sure it was confirmed Tree of Might was also the last thing Corlett recorded was Tree of Might, even though it ended up airing a few episodes into Kelamis taking over the role.

I dunno, I doubt Funimation bothered dubbing movie 2. Seems like movie 1 was dubbed the same reason Dragon Ball’s first movie was dubbed as a pilot to sell to networks

Sure 95 percent of Rock the Dragon footage is the first 3 movies but they also threw in Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Vegeta and Trunks. Despite not even being sure if they would get more than one seaso. Best not to think too hard about Funimation’s decisions
Yeah, but i still ask myself where the grunts and sounds we hear in Rock the Dragon came from, did they ever recorded the other movies in an edited form? did they just recorded all those sounds for the opening?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:54 pm
Ian Corlett once said that "Test dubs" and such were very rare in those days because of how expensive it was to produce these kinds of things. And, as we know, DB movie 1 was commercially exploited after its production, so I doubt they produced Z movie 1's 1996 dub with the idea that it wouldn't see the light of day.
Not really a “test dub” or saying necessarily that Funimation never intended for it to see the light of day but it seemed more of a Pilot to sell to networks “Yeah Dragon Ball didn’t work out but Z is so much cooler!!!!” Maybe they intended to run a partially reworked Dead Zone dub as a pre-series tv movie ala Curse of the Blood Rubies and changed their minds? We know they dubbed Curse of the Blood Rubies with the Harmony Gold names and then redubbed the movie with the final Funimation names (or at least redubbed the dialog where necessary)

time=1597253445 user_id=12005
That footage comes from the second Z OP, which Funi was given along with their movie and TV episode footage to use as they pleased. :P
Did Toei give them the second Z OP and not the first? I guess this is on brand for Toei. They appeared to give Harmony Gold the second Dragon Ball OP and not the first one.

Granted, it’s still weird that the only footage from the Japanese OP they used was Vegeta turning Super Saiyan in space, Trunks about to slice cyborg Freeza, and the final group shot.

And I’m pretty sure the only episode footage they used was Nappa tearing through a plane. The rest is just the the first 3 Z movies?

Funny thing is, you're actually burying the lede on a good point in your dismisal there: It's kinda weird that Funi got ahold of the first three Z movies, even using footage from each one in the Rock The Dragon opening, when the rest of their footage acquisition at that time was only footage that they were planning to imminently use (DB movie 1 and episodes 1-26 along with some OP/ED footage, DBZ episodes 1-26 then later 27-67 along with some OP/ED footage)... Why did they get all three of the first three Z movies when they were just starting out doing Z?
They did end up releasing the first 3 Z movies during its second season via Pioneer so it’s not like dubbing the movies wasn’t probably on Funimation’s minds. I just don’t know if I can buy they dubbed 2 or 3 movies before working on the series. But it’s not impossible.

Funny enough, there was a 3 year gap between the Pioneer movies and Funi’s first in house dub Lord Slug wasn’t done until after the Cell saga in 2001. Don’t know if Funimation initially only licensed the first 3 Z movies at first or if they just weren’t interested in doing more movies for a while .

But using almost nothing but footage from the first 3 Z movies for Rock the Dragon could be as simple as “eventually we’re gonna get to these”

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 pm

Unless someone asks him, it's speculation.

The Namek episodes he did have a 1997 copyright date in the credits, and the Tree of Might episodes also have a 1997 copyright date. If he stopped voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan Saga ended, then it would be a certainty that the last thing he did was Tree of Might, since the Saiyan Saga episodes had a 1996 copyright date.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 am

Kakacarrottop wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 pm If he stopped voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan Saga ended, then it would be a certainty that the last thing he did was Tree of Might, since the Saiyan Saga episodes had a 1996 copyright date.
He didn’t stop voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan saga ended as he was voicing Goku until episode 37, 11 episodes into the Namek saga. Kelamis took over starting with episode 38. The tv version of Tree of Might was aired between episode 45 (Immortality Denied) and episode 46 (Big Trouble for Bulma)

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 am
Kakacarrottop wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 pm If he stopped voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan Saga ended, then it would be a certainty that the last thing he did was Tree of Might, since the Saiyan Saga episodes had a 1996 copyright date.
He didn’t stop voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan saga ended as he was voicing Goku until episode 37, 11 episodes into the Namek saga. Kelamis took over starting with episode 38. The tv version of Tree of Might was aired between episode 45 (Immortality Denied) and episode 46 (Big Trouble for Bulma)
I know, and that's why it's hard to tell what the last thing he recorded was. Episodes 27-37 and movie 3 all have a 1997 year at the end of the credits, while the first 26 episodes had 1996, despite the fact that episodes 12-26 aired in 1997.

Corlett said he left DBZ since he wasn't getting paid enough for all the grunting in the fight scenes. Tree of Might might have been the tipping point for him, since it had a lot of fight scenes in it. Although it seems strange that they'd randomly record the movie 3 dub in the middle of season 2's production.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 am

Kakacarrottop wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 am . Although it seems strange that they'd randomly record the movie 3 dub in the middle of season 2's production.
It’s also strange to run it in the middle of the Namek arc and yet they obviously did.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:33 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 am
Kakacarrottop wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 am . Although it seems strange that they'd randomly record the movie 3 dub in the middle of season 2's production.
It’s also strange to run it in the middle of the Namek arc and yet they obviously did.
Yeah, is there any sort of speculation or theories as to why they did that? Having it at the tail end of the season would've been the more logical approach imo.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 am

wjbraden wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:43 pm Just for claficaiton, when you guys say "Pioneer intro clip" are you referring to this https://www.kanzenshuu.com/generalinfo/ ... lpromo.mp4 one from the article in the OP, or am I missing something here?
Yes.

That clip plays when you watch the very first DBZ DVD single, released by Pioneer. (However, if you watch the Australian version of that DVD, released by Madman, this clip does not play)
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm Not really a “test dub” or saying necessarily that Funimation never intended for it to see the light of day but it seemed more of a Pilot to sell to networks “Yeah Dragon Ball didn’t work out but Z is so much cooler!!!!” Maybe they intended to run a partially reworked Dead Zone dub as a pre-series tv movie ala Curse of the Blood Rubies and changed their minds? We know they dubbed Curse of the Blood Rubies with the Harmony Gold names and then redubbed the movie with the final Funimation names (or at least redubbed the dialog where necessary)
We don't actually know that they redubbed the dialogue. It's possible they recorded it two ways during the intial recordings. Particularly since Maggie Blue O'Hara didn't return as Bulma after BLT DB movie 1, until Westwood Z began.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm Did Toei give them the second Z OP and not the first?
It seems so, yes.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm Granted, it’s still weird that the only footage from the Japanese OP they used was Vegeta turning Super Saiyan in space, Trunks about to slice cyborg Freeza, and the final group shot.
Eh, not really. Most of the OP footage probably wasn't fast-paced and "HARDCORE" enough for Funi's eyes.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm And I’m pretty sure the only episode footage they used was Nappa tearing through a plane. The rest is just the the first 3 Z movies?
You are correct.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm They did end up releasing the first 3 Z movies during its second season via Pioneer so it’s not like dubbing the movies wasn’t probably on Funimation’s minds. I just don’t know if I can buy they dubbed 2 or 3 movies before working on the series. But it’s not impossible.
[snip]
But using almost nothing but footage from the first 3 Z movies for Rock the Dragon could be as simple as “eventually we’re gonna get to these”
IDK.
I think we still have more questions than answers in regards to... Basically everything about this "Vendar" situation.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 am He didn’t stop voicing Goku as soon as the Saiyan saga ended as he was voicing Goku until episode 37, 11 episodes into the Namek saga. Kelamis took over starting with episode 38. The tv version of Tree of Might was aired between episode 45 (Immortality Denied) and episode 46 (Big Trouble for Bulma)
IIRC Goku wasn't actually in episode 37. I may be wrong, but my recollection is that Ian Corlett's last appearance in the series itself was episode 36, whereas Peter Kelamis's first was in 38.
Kakacarrottop wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 am Corlett said he left DBZ since he wasn't getting paid enough for all the grunting in the fight scenes. Tree of Might might have been the tipping point for him, since it had a lot of fight scenes in it. Although it seems strange that they'd randomly record the movie 3 dub in the middle of season 2's production.
He has made a point of the fact it wasn't just about the money; the main issue was he started butting heads with the producers, and basically with that, he decided "I don't get paid enough to put up with this."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:55 pm

You can hear some of the voices clearer in the later ocean opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjJ7Aw8eUYg

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 pm

So where do we go from here? Do we have any leads we can start with, like someone at Funimation who might know something about this dub? Or how about those ebay sellers who had the DB Movie 1 test dub in their possession? Maybe they would know something.