Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 pm

New article/feature on Kanzenshuu was posted just now: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/dif ... oku-again/

I suggest you read it, it's very good.

Towards the end, the article mentions something I've never heard of, or seen talked about, but which is very compelling...

Funimation created a dub of DBZ movie 1, AKA "Dead Zone", back in 1996, most likely using a Vancouver-based cast (but, it seems, before Scott McNeil was cast as Piccolo. Possibly before Ian Corlett was Goku too; could someone Tweet Ian Corlett and ask him about this, maybe? He has a good memory of this stuff, and tends to be quite responsive). Uncertain if it was Berring-scored and narrated by Doug Parker, though I would guess this is likely.
Garlic Jr was renamed to Vendar...
Descriptions of the script don't sound like either the Pioneer or in-house Funi dubs of the movie. (Which makes sense; Pioneer deliberately tried to be faithful to the original Japanese script, so likely they had no interest in basing their work off a pre-existing script, as was the case with their redub of Tree Of Might, then Funi's in-house redub of Z movie 1 was based off Pioneer's script, but with a layer of Funi's usual punching-up added on top... Though perhaps some of this punching-up may have been borrowed from the original "Vendar" script?)
Bulma and Roshi are described as being the same voices as in the BLT dub, so I'm guessing this was done with the Dick & Rogers crew, like the BLT dub.

The question is, has anyone else heard of this before now? Does anyone know someone who might have the tape?
Thanks to Tom Servo (who I have contacted about this, fwiw; he is now aware of it), we found Harmony Gold episode 1-5 this year. Let's see if we can find this too.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

News to me. This is some weird shit, right up there with the pilot dub for Dragon Ball Movie #1.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm

This reminds me of the World of Dragon Ball Z special that Funi did. Most of it contains clips from either BLT DB, Saban DBZ, or in-house Funi DBZ... however, there's one moment (4:15-4:31 on a certain youtube upload) with what appears to be a clip of DB ep 16 where Roshi runs really fast, to Goku's amazement. Faulconer music is played, and I think Goku's voice actor is the same one from DB Movie 2 (Ceyli Delgadillo). Nobody really talks about this, or where it came from.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm This reminds me of the World of Dragon Ball Z special that Funi did. Most of it contains clips from either BLT DB, Saban DBZ, or in-house Funi DBZ... however, there's one moment (4:15-4:31 on a certain youtube upload) with what appears to be a clip of DB ep 16 where Roshi runs really fast, to Goku's amazement. Faulconer music is played, and I think Goku's voice actor is the same one from DB Movie 2 (Ceyli Delgadillo). Nobody really talks about this, or where it came from.
Yeah, I'm surprised no one talks about that too.
... Also, I think it's safe to link a YouTube video, man. Right here: https://youtu.be/Q42kkmxstMs?t=255 up until 4:31, when it switches back to BLT dub material. Then it goes into Saban dub material, then into in-house Funi Z material, where it ultimately concludes right at the start of the Cyborgs arc.

The World Of DBZ feature was done after Funi had begun doing the in-house Androids sagas, so it makes no sense that Ceyli Delgadillo would have been brought in to record that brief section, IIRC she had been recast to Nadolny by then, and yet... Well, I don't know for sure that it's Delgadillo, but that's definitely not Stephanie Nadolny, or if it is, she's putting on a VERY different voice than normal, and I'm pretty sure that take of McFarland as Roshi is not what's in the 2001 Funi DB dub.
So, it could have been recorded about the same time as Sleeping Princess Of Devil Castle. It would make sense that Funi would've recorded a couple of episodes of the show along with the two movies, though precisely how many they did, we can't say... It is possible they only did a few scenes, I suppose, though that would be weird. And given that the brief clip of Dead Zone from the Arrival tape intro seems to be from an unreleased dub of the full movie, I wouldn't discount this from being a few episodes of unreleased DB dubbing from Funimation. I would guess that this would have been Kikuchi-scored like Sleeping Princess, but the Faulconer music on this video drowns it out (or there was no Kikuchi music playing in this scene? Or Funi took the voice+sfx-only track for this clip).

But, all that said, this could just be like an audition clip or something, since this was on a DVD released in like 2001, so it would've been right when Funi were looking to do their OG DB series dub... I have no idea. Maybe it was a test dub of an episode or two done when they were considering starting up OG DB dubbing again...

Will our discoveries of unreleased Dragon Ball material never end?

(TBH, much as this is interesting, though, my main interest lies in this weird unreleased Ocean cast dub of DBZ movie 1...!!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm Will our discoveries of unreleased Dragon Ball material never end?
For as long as they keep making it up as they go! Modern Dragon Ball won't have much of this anymore with Funi having a solid lock on it all.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:14 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 am
Robo4900 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm Will our discoveries of unreleased Dragon Ball material never end?
For as long as they keep making it up as they go! Modern Dragon Ball won't have much of this anymore with Funi having a solid lock on it all.
I mean, you say that, but we still haven't seen Ocean Kai yet. Long as that remains unreleased, modern DB has an unreleased dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:14 am I mean, you say that, but we still haven't seen Ocean Kai yet. Long as that remains unreleased, modern DB has an unreleased dub.
That's true! But, we already knew about it for quite a while now, right?

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 am

That test dub of Dead Zone likely had Peter Berring doing the music.

I found a link on the internet that suggested Ron Wasserman would have started working on the DBZ soundtrack around July 1996, whereas this Dead Zone dub was early 1996.

Saban were probably still in the picture though, since I've found links from as early as January 1996 mentioning their association with Dragon Ball Z.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm This reminds me of the World of Dragon Ball Z special that Funi did. Most of it contains clips from either BLT DB, Saban DBZ, or in-house Funi DBZ... however, there's one moment (4:15-4:31 on a certain youtube upload) with what appears to be a clip of DB ep 16 where Roshi runs really fast, to Goku's amazement. Faulconer music is played, and I think Goku's voice actor is the same one from DB Movie 2 (Ceyli Delgadillo). Nobody really talks about this, or where it came from.
The World Of DBZ feature was done after Funi had begun doing the in-house Androids sagas, so it makes no sense that Ceyli Delgadillo would have been brought in to record that brief section, IIRC she had been recast to Nadolny by then, and yet... Well, I don't know for sure that it's Delgadillo, but that's definitely not Stephanie Nadolny, or if it is, she's putting on a VERY different voice than normal, and I'm pretty sure that take of McFarland as Roshi is not what's in the 2001 Funi DB dub.
No, Ceyli Delgadillo voiced young Goku through the end of the Cell Saga before Nadolny replaced her. I remember Delgadillo's voice from all the flashbacks.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 am

Vendar sounds like the name of a shadowy evil overlord villain from an 80s cartoon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 am

TheBigBoy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 am Vendar sounds like the name of a shadowy evil overlord villain from an 80s cartoon.
Heh. Well, DBZ movie 1 was released in 1989, and Vendar is the name of Garlic Jr in this dub, so... Fitting. :lol:

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 am That test dub of Dead Zone likely had Peter Berring doing the music.

I found a link on the internet that suggested Ron Wasserman would have started working on the DBZ soundtrack around July 1996, whereas this Dead Zone dub was early 1996.
Considering the test dub of Dragon Ball had Peter's score, it's possible that Wasserman already had done some stuff, or maybe not
Kakacarrottop wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:24 am
Saban were probably still in the picture though, since I've found links from as early as January 1996 mentioning their association with Dragon Ball Z.
The earliest i've found their association with Dragon Ball Z was the trademark registration date of January 25th 1996

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Wow, even more lost DB dub history that went right under our noses! I'm really surprised at how much Funimation tweaked and changed little things behind the scenes before putting DB on the air. I know many out there despise them to this day for how they've presented the franchise over the years, but you have to admit they put in a ton of effort in the mid-90's to try to make DB a hit in the states, and not fizzle out like it had with Harmony Gold's stab at it.
MyVisionity wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 am
No, Ceyli Delgadillo voiced young Goku through the end of the Cell Saga before Nadolny replaced her. I remember Delgadillo's voice from all the flashbacks.
You know, now that I think of it, that clip from WoDBZ could be an instance of some test audio that Funi put on DBZ.com waaaaay back in 2001, when they asked people to vote for different voice actresses to do Goku. I found the link to said poll on wayback.com, but the actual audio files weren't archived, unfortunately: https://web.archive.org/web/20010608091 ... index.html . So there's a possibility that the VA in question there isn't Nadoly or Delgadillo, but someone entirely different.

Why they would utilize that particular bit of audio and not Nadoly's from the series itself is anyone's guess, but considering how the whole special is a mishmash of different voice casts, maybe it made it's way to the editor's hands somehow...
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:05 pm

wjbraden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 pm Why they would utilize that particular bit of audio and not Nadoly's from the series itself is anyone's guess, but considering how the whole special is a mishmash of different voice casts, maybe it made it's way to the editor's hands somehow...
The special was released back in 2000, before the series dub had begun and before Nadolny was cast as Goku.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Stephanie Nadolny definitely voiced Kid Goku in that flashback late in the Cell arc, where she delivered the “This planet belongs to no one!” Line, but I’ll admit that I can’t quite remember if this was only for the remastered dub or not, but I’d assume it is. Also, I guess it should be noted that Nadolny voiced the infant Goku in the Bardock special, and FUNimation’s dub for that was released in 2000.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:16 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:05 pm
wjbraden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 pm Why they would utilize that particular bit of audio and not Nadoly's from the series itself is anyone's guess, but considering how the whole special is a mishmash of different voice casts, maybe it made it's way to the editor's hands somehow...
The special was released back in 2000, before the series dub had begun and before Nadolny was cast as Goku.
Oh ok, never mind then. My bad for messing up on the timeline of events :shifty: . Still, it doesn't sound like Nadoly at all there. And while I haven't heard much of Ceyli's Goku to make a determination on whether that sounds like her or not, there's still a possibility it's a different voice actress that Funi had used during auditions or something of that nature.

....Or maybe there's bits and pieces of yet another pilot dub of some sort floating around out there akin to the "Zero" test dub JulieYBM mentioned... :think:
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised no one talks about that too.
... Also, I think it's safe to link a YouTube video, man. Right here: https://youtu.be/Q42kkmxstMs?t=255 up until 4:31, when it switches back to BLT dub material. Then it goes into Saban dub material, then into in-house Funi Z material, where it ultimately concludes right at the start of the Cyborgs arc.

So, it could have been recorded about the same time as Sleeping Princess Of Devil Castle. It would make sense that Funi would've recorded a couple of episodes of the show along with the two movies, though precisely how many they did, we can't say... It is possible they only did a few scenes, I suppose, though that would be weird. And given that the brief clip of Dead Zone from the Arrival tape intro seems to be from an unreleased dub of the full movie, I wouldn't discount this from being a few episodes of unreleased DB dubbing from Funimation. I would guess that this would have been Kikuchi-scored like Sleeping Princess, but the Faulconer music on this video drowns it out (or there was no Kikuchi music playing in this scene? Or Funi took the voice+sfx-only track for this clip).

But, all that said, this could just be like an audition clip or something, since this was on a DVD released in like 2001, so it would've been right when Funi were looking to do their OG DB series dub... I have no idea. Maybe it was a test dub of an episode or two done when they were considering starting up OG DB dubbing again...
TBH, it wouldn’t surprise me if they dubbed that scene just for the special to establish Goku being trained by Roshi and befriending Krillin since they (at the time) skipped that whole part of the story. It sounds like Delgadillo’s voice to me. It seems a weird thing to bother getting your actors to dub for a recap special but hey Funimation...

Also lord have mercy if they had decided to use Faulconer’s music to score OG Dragon Ball...

Watching that special was wild though, back when Funimation didn’t treat the stuff they did with the Vancouver cast as an illusion or separate from their own stuff.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:50 am

It's nuts to think there's still unreleased stuff that's been lost for over twenty years. Just when you think you know every obscure thing in the franchise.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:02 am

This is funny because I remember reading long ago that there was another voice for Piccolo other than Scott McNeil in Dead Zone which made me think it wasn't him for the longest time. I literally thought Scott McNeil was a Disney grade replacement. I can't remember the name of the guy tho... I want to say it was Gary or something with a G but don't quote me on that lol.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:02 am

Ringworm128 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:50 am It's nuts to think there's still unreleased stuff that's been lost for over twenty years. Just when you think you know every obscure thing in the franchise.
It's also crazy to think how many times certain pieces of the franchise have been dubbed, redubbed, and/or given alternate re-takes, all of which were done (virtually) by the same entity. Like literally somewhere between 3-5 different times if we're including pilot dubs, censored versions, re-releases and the like, lol.