Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:40 pm Interesting to see they got film for Z! Didnt they also get the first 13 or 15 episodes of Dragon Ball on film as well (maybe even the first film also)?
This quote would certainly suggest that. And indeed, the look of Funi's masters of DB change suddenly in the early tournament arc to something far less filmic.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:40 pm I wonder why they got Dead Zone so early on.
Probably they had Toei send them a bunch of the movies. IDK. It's certainly weird. Clearly they had DB movies 1-3 and Z movies 1-3 very early on.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:40 pm Interestig comparing
Dead Zone extra vs. UUE
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/91B2FNNU
World of DBZ vs Single
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/91BMCNNU
Yes... I think Dead Zone and Arrival were produced in lower quality, basically mastered for VHS. Whereas World Of DBZ and UUE were mastered well into the dominance of DVD. So, I think the earlier releases were mastered on poor-quality analogue tape copies of their DigiBeta material, whereas the later releases were digital to digital, and thus higher-quality, and more filmic-looking.

Though, I suspect, assuming they received film for all of the 68 episodes used for Saban footage, that they downgraded to shittier transfer equipment after the first Z episode, as the quality goes down a few notches. But it's not as grain-free or generally shitty as their in-house episodes would be.

It's known that their in-house episodes were sourced from Spanish tapes shipped from Mexico, whereas their Saban and BLT episodes, they got video from Toei (which, now, seems to have been from film).
The thing I now wonder is whether their film of Z 69-291 came from Mexico?... Perhaps they realised they have the first 68 and asked the Mexican distributor if they still had their film of the other episodes, and bought that so they could get new transfers of all 291 episodes, which -- sadly -- ended up being botched to make the Orange Bricks, and the other, later, sets. That, or perhaps they just had new prints struck by Toei. Either way, it would explain why Funi's film past the Saiyan/Namek saga seems to be of lower quality than the earlier stuff; it was sent to them completely separately from the earlier stuff!

Anyway, all this info would suggest Funi at least have film of DB 1-15 lying around, so they could have done those in HD. And probably they could have acquired DB 16-153 on film alongside Z too, and had all of the Toriyama-based run for HD release... But they chose not to. >_<
The spanish dub really led me to belive it was digibetas for the whole series, but it's cool they actually got film! That would make sence with the early DVDs coming from masters already used for their VHS' releases espeshally since there isnt any uncut footage to splice in.

I could be remebering wrong but did FUNi have to negotiate to jump to Z as TOEI wanted them to finish Dragon Ball out but they were like "Nah it's not working". It's really odd they included the movies as I'd assume it'd be considered a seperate property. I do wonder if they planned or worked on any of the other 2 dragon ball films before working on Dead Zone since Dead Zone appears to be the first waters they tested with dubbing Z.

I also recall (can't remeber the magazine *ill look at the archives here* where they metioned they mentioned there were too many silent spots and test audiences negative responce to Nozawa's voice. Maybe there is some informtation in that article as that could have been Dead Zone they were testing?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:33 pm
I could be remebering wrong but did FUNi have to negotiate to jump to Z as TOEI wanted them to finish Dragon Ball out but they were like "Nah it's not working".
Yes, there is a video where Gen Fukunaga said he (paraphrasing) “Had to beg Toei to skip ahead to Dragon Ball Z”

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:29 pm This whole situation reminded me of this 1996 student project by Adam Campetti that was originally on YouTube ten years ago. Barry and Byron Watson are interviewed in it and it's just the quaintest thing in the world. Have fun returning to 1996! https://youtu.be/4dIW_IfhWgc
They mention that the show is moving to Cartoon Network in September, so those interviews would have taken place in 1998 or late 1997. The guy who originally uploaded it must have gotten the date confused.

Also, Barry Watson sounds completely different to how I imagined him sounding.
To be honest, Barry is totally different than what i had imagine him looking like

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Piccolo sounding like Spider-Man would be so weird and unfitting. Thank Primus they actually someone who actually fit the role later.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Amazing, this is a major find i wish i could help

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Got new info that is pretty interesting?

Probably she might know something about this?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 am

I don't think trying to contact executives who greenlit something 25 years ago is a constructive use of anyone's time.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Been having this in the back of my mind and decided to check google once again and found this post : https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.an ... byyXxhN-MJ
Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the US.

My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
is... well, hold on to your hats.

the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@

Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up
on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...

From what i've been told, funimation is disappointed with original Dragon
Ball, so they have plans to skip about 150 episodes and head right into
the first episodes of DBZ... of course... the reason DB didnt succeed is
because it didnt have enough FIGHTS! yeah right.. and the fact that it
got no promotion whatsoever had nothing to do with it, right guys?? I
hear that they are planning to include DBZ into a syndicated "Saban
Block" <<ala "disney afternoon">>, probably with other lame-o shows like
masked rider and their upcoming beetleborg show. I have a copy of their
promo brochure <<the video company>> coming on friday,
so i'll let you
know it it contains anything new.

*sigh* why are they doing this? I dont mind seeimg DBZ, but it's the
fact that they skipped so so much... how can the story still make sense?
i can only imagine a terribly boring overdub narration explaining who all
the 37 new characters are and how they are related. It's like opening up
war & peace 300 pages in and starting to read from there. Yay. onto the
mindless fighting! ugh.

the videos are supposed to ship in august, btw.

the only bright spot i can see is that we might get another PVC set and
action figures for the DBZ fighters... that would be pretty choice. I
especially thnk the bandai PVC set for the original series was really
nice... Oh, speaking of tie ins... i was wondering how they were going to
do this, but i guess it makes sense now-- BanDai is also supposedly going
to release the 2 fighting DBZ games for the Playstation and the Saturn
sometime this fall....

ja na
Anyone know what Capital City on Chicago was? In other posts he mentions the same friend getting stock of Dragon Ball action figures. This isnt a huge update but given that it was posted 4 days before the detailed post and the fact it came with the curse of the blood rubies (tho it's unclear if it's the Zero version). It provides evidence that there is atleast one "Vendar" VHS floating around similar to that of the "Zero" dub.

Considering this was in April of 96 and the series began in the fall. I wonder how late in the game it was until the final casting and recording was done (presumably Summer of 96) .

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Capital City was a comic book distributor that was later purchased by Diamond. They were the producers of Internal Correspondence (which this article comes from), which was later revamped into the website ICv2.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:36 pm Capital City was a comic book distributor that was later purchased by Diamond. They were the producers of Internal Correspondence (which this article comes from), which was later revamped into the website ICv2.
Thank you! I wonder what other places/people would have gotten these tapes? I read an article a long time ago where they talked about doing screeings and parents not liking Nozawas voice of lack of constant music so I always assumed these were done in controlled setting and more polished versions being sent out later. I once got a Pokemon VHS (pre-debut) with a letter asking to respond in regards to Pikachu's lighning flashes.

I'm gonna be hitting ebay every now and then with some hopes of finding this tape or possible another curse of the blood rubies VHS.

Edit: This is way above my head but perhaps there is more information floating on Yahoo Groups?
https://datahorde.org/how-to-recover-yo ... t-archive/

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:48 am

wjbraden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 pm You know, now that I think of it, that clip from WoDBZ could be an instance of some test audio that Funi put on DBZ.com waaaaay back in 2001, when they asked people to vote for different voice actresses to do Goku. I found the link to said poll on wayback.com, but the actual audio files weren't archived, unfortunately: https://web.archive.org/web/20010608091 ... index.html . So there's a possibility that the VA in question there isn't Nadoly or Delgadillo, but someone entirely different.
Sorry to bump like this, but I wasn't sure if you'd heard the files you referenced here yet and I figured I'd upload them for you and everyone else! They were not lost to time (in WMA format). The standalone files are archived for all to hear now, if they weren't already somewhere else, along with them I wrote a bit of info from my research as well - part of which clears up the final sentence in your comment about Stephanie and Ceyli (the info on Ceyli being speculation on my behalf). You can find my post of the files here: https://archive.org/details/2001gokuvoicepoll
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:50 am

Ss5Troten wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:48 am
wjbraden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:35 pm You know, now that I think of it, that clip from WoDBZ could be an instance of some test audio that Funi put on DBZ.com waaaaay back in 2001, when they asked people to vote for different voice actresses to do Goku. I found the link to said poll on wayback.com, but the actual audio files weren't archived, unfortunately: https://web.archive.org/web/20010608091 ... index.html . So there's a possibility that the VA in question there isn't Nadoly or Delgadillo, but someone entirely different.
Sorry to bump like this, but I wasn't sure if you'd heard the files you referenced here yet and I figured I'd upload them for you and everyone else! They were not lost to time (in WMA format). The standalone files are archived for all to hear now, if they weren't already somewhere else, along with them I wrote a bit of info from my research as well - part of which clears up the final sentence in your comment about Stephanie and Ceyli (the info on Ceyli being speculation on my behalf). You can find my post of the files here: https://archive.org/details/2001gokuvoicepoll
Oh that's cool. And yes that's definitely Ceyli in the audio.

Interesting that it was always going to be Nadolny and Delgadillo (and let's be real it was probably always going to be Nadolny and the fans vote was probably more a PR move than an actual thing). I always assumed there was a third and fourth voice actress "in the running"

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:50 am
Oh that's cool. And yes that's definitely Ceyli in the audio.

Interesting that it was always going to be Nadolny and Delgadillo (and let's be real it was probably always going to be Nadolny and the fans vote was probably more a PR move than an actual thing). I always assumed there was a third and fourth voice actress "in the running"
Yeah, seems like the poll was basically more like "Business as usual? Or the Gohan girl? You decide." I had hoped to find something more climactic, but the story is pretty cut and dry.

Though I was 7 when this poll was held and less aware of how to navigate the internet at the time, I would have voted Nadolny anyway. Ceyli isn't my favorite take on Kid Goku. Nadolny just had a quality that always stood out. I watched a lot of Ocean Z when it was airing, but I can't imagine any other English voice for Gohan and Goku ever comparing to Nadolny - just personal opinion though.

Well, this discussion made me want to go visit Temple O Trunks, Blood of a Saiyan, and a few other sites I used to sit on a lot in that era. I appreciate you confirming my suspicion on Ceyli!

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 am

Ss5Troten wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:48 am
Wow, never thought I'd see these again, thanks for investigating this!
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:27 am

wjbraden wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 am Wow, never thought I'd see these again, thanks for investigating this!
That's why we're all here! No problem!