Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unreleased "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone (Funimation/Ocean, 1996)

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 am

wjbraden wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 pm So where do we go from here? Do we have any leads we can start with, like someone at Funimation who might know something about this dub?
Most of the personnel currently at Funimation that worked on DBZ weren’t around in 1996 Ian Corlett would probably be the most knowledgeable person that fans could get in contact with.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 am
wjbraden wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 pm So where do we go from here? Do we have any leads we can start with, like someone at Funimation who might know something about this dub?
Most of the personnel currently at Funimation that worked on DBZ weren’t around in 1996 Ian Corlett would probably be the most knowledgeable person that fans could get in contact with.
Do you know if he is contactable on social media for sorts of questions like this?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:55 pm You can hear some of the voices clearer in the later ocean opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjJ7Aw8eUYg
I don't think those are from this, but they could be. More likely, though, they're from specific "Do some grunts for the opening" sessions that were done alongside the first few episodes of Z.
wjbraden wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:47 pm So where do we go from here? Do we have any leads we can start with, like someone at Funimation who might know something about this dub? Or how about those ebay sellers who had the DB Movie 1 test dub in their possession? Maybe they would know something.
Probably the best thing to do is to try to reach out as far and wide as possible to see if anyone who was around in anime fandom in the '90s may have the tape.
As for finding out information, MasenkoHA has the right idea, I think...
wjbraden wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:16 am Most of the personnel currently at Funimation that worked on DBZ weren’t around in 1996 Ian Corlett would probably be the most knowledgeable person that fans could get in contact with.
Do you know if he is contactable on social media for sorts of questions like this?
Ian Corlett is on Twitter, and fairly regularly answers fan questions. If you have any questions about this production, feel free to ask him. He was in it as Goku, and he was one of the writers, and he would've known the producers, directors, etc.

FWIW, the director was likely either Michael Donovan or Doug Parker, since they directed DB, but we don't know for sure. It's possible Ian Corlett himself was actually the director. IIRC at one time he referenced "Casting myself as Goku" or something at a panel.

But yeah, Ian Corlett is one of the most knowledgeable people about this era of Dragon Ball dubbing; he was there when it was all going down, and his memory of it is very good. I do wonder if he's still in contact with anyone from back then who might be able to help us track a copy of this thing down.

I could probably send some word via someone to ask if someone at Funimation might know anything about this. It's likely they wouldn't know, but certainly they'd be interested enough to dig for it, I think, but I don't know if anything would come of it. Certainly, I highly doubt Funi would be interested in putting it on DVD or anything.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:15 pm Ian Corlett is on Twitter, and fairly regularly answers fan questions. If you have any questions about this production, feel free to ask him. He was in it as Goku, and he was one of the writers, and he would've known the producers, directors, etc.

FWIW, the director was likely either Michael Donovan or Doug Parker, since they directed DB, but we don't know for sure. It's possible Ian Corlett himself was actually the director. IIRC at one time he referenced "Casting myself as Goku" or something at a panel.

But yeah, Ian Corlett is one of the most knowledgeable people about this era of Dragon Ball dubbing; he was there when it was all going down, and his memory of it is very good. I do wonder if he's still in contact with anyone from back then who might be able to help us track a copy of this thing down.

I could probably send some word via someone to ask if someone at Funimation might know anything about this. It's likely they wouldn't know, but certainly they'd be interested enough to dig for it, I think, but I don't know if anything would come of it. Certainly, I highly doubt Funi would be interested in putting it on DVD or anything.
Ok thanks, contacting Ian seems to be a good starting point then. I'll hit him up about it and see what happens.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Sorry for double posting, but Ian responded to me, however, he doesn't seem to recall this dub. https://twitter.com/IanJames007/status/ ... 9921809408.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:12 pm

So I totally forgot about the promo made during BLT's run and lo and behold there is Dead Zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbo4o2_lYU
I'd assume they'd got a batch of films? I wonder if they planned/worked on any of the other Dragon Ball films before rushing to Z (as they were condensed and more action-packed but were still under the Dragon Ball brand).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Barry Watson's brother probably spent a week editing that frame into that TV. Damn.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:43 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:35 pm Barry Watson's brother probably spent a week editing that frame into that TV. Damn.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also being doing some googling and ANN and Jump.Fandom list "Dead Zone Vortex" as an alternative title. Jump.Fandom says "Pioneer's dub used the same voice cast as the TV series did at the time, and was dubbed by Ocean Productions. For its television airings, it was retitled Dead Zone Vortex." I do not recall this at all on any Toonami or late-night airing I saw. Was it Canada that came up with this title?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:55 pm

I do don't recall it on Toonami in 1998-1999. Maybe it was to avoid getting sued by Stephen King...somewhere?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:55 pm I do don't recall it on Toonami in 1998-1999. Maybe it was to avoid getting sued by Stephen King...somewhere?
Seems to be in some metadata somewhere as I tried googling it and it is listed on ANN, Amazon.fr (and Brazil), random vlogs and wikis etc. There was the Vortex was a block on TYV (4:19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ECDNilpB0) so it could have been miss identified if Dead Zone ever played on that block?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:32 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:12 pm So I totally forgot about the promo made during BLT's run and lo and behold there is Dead Zone.
I'd assume they'd got a batch of films? I wonder if they planned/worked on any of the other Dragon Ball films before rushing to Z (as they were condensed and more action-packed but were still under the Dragon Ball brand).
Wow, nice catch! Interesting... So they apparently had possession of Dead Zone back in 1995, which means it's possible this Vendar dub was done even earlier than we thought. Heck, this could have been Ian and other's first Dragon Ball material they recorded. That might explain why Ian doesn't remember it so well, because it was so early on.

The Dead Zone Vortex thing is interesting as well. That might be a lead of some sort.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:33 am

Corlett might not remember overly specific stuff. When Kelamis got interviewed a few years ago by Geekdom101, he wasn't able to recall what the year was when he recorded his final episode as Goku, or something along those lines.

Barry Watson would be the most appropriate person to contact about this, since he was basically in charge of all the early Funimation dubs. But he seems to have vanished off the face of the earth ever since his anime company Illumitoon folded 10 years ago.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:12 pm So I totally forgot about the promo made during BLT's run and lo and behold there is Dead Zone.
I've seen that commercial before, and I never even noticed that detail.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 am

Huh, re-reading the excerpt of the google groups article from Matthew Sommer, it appears that the term "Death Zone Vortex" was used in place of Dead Zone. So maybe this tape we are trying to track down is entitled "DBZ Death/Dead Zone Vortex" or something along those lines? Does anyone know who this Matthew Sommer person is and if he has contact info?

Another thing I should mention, I'm not sure where ANN and wiki got that Dead Zone was called "Dead Zone Vortex" for its TV run, because I checked old Toonami promos and even searched the YTV broadcast logs from the 2000's (which I happened to have from another project I was doing), and in no instance was it ever called or listed "Dead Zone Vortex" when it aired on those channels it appears [btw I checked eledoremassis, and it appears that the movie never aired on the Vortex block on YTV which aired only on Saturday mornings it seems, so it's not from that]. Maybe whomever put this info on these sites were referring to this dub?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 am

wjbraden wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 am Does anyone know who this Matthew Sommer person is and if he has contact info?
I of course did my due diligence during the research and writing of the article and tried.

(Please do not keep badgering Ian Corlett, folks. It looks like you got whatever you were going to get out of it.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 am
wjbraden wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:07 am Does anyone know who this Matthew Sommer person is and if he has contact info?
I of course did my due diligence during the research and writing of the article and tried.

(Please do not keep badgering Ian Corlett, folks. It looks like you got whatever you were going to get out of it.)
I sort of figured that someone like Matthew would be hard to reach, but at least you gave it the old college try.

And yes, I didn't mean in any way to bug Ian about this, nor was I aware that others had already contacted him about this before. My bad.

So, any ideas where we might be able to go from here?

Edit:
One other thing I should mention, regarding "Dead Zone Vortex" being nane dropped. It's referenced in this article from DBUncensored, in which they discussed Cartoon Network's new DBZ episode package. http://dbzu.3gkai.com/editorial/editorial11.html Make of that what you will, I suppose.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 am

wjbraden wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:53 am

I sort of figured that someone like Matthew would be hard to reach, but at least you gave it the old college try.

And yes, I didn't mean in any way to bug Ian about this, nor was I aware that others had already contacted him about this before. My bad.

So, any ideas where we might be able to go from here?

Edit:
One other thing I should mention, regarding "Dead Zone Vortex" being nane dropped. It's referenced in this article from DBUncensored, in which they discussed Cartoon Network's new DBZ episode package. http://dbzu.3gkai.com/editorial/editorial11.html Make of that what you will, I suppose.
Thats interesting for three reasons, Dead Zone's title, Tree of Mights 3 episodes but now it's pushed to episode 54? and the other two were planned to have been cut up? I'd assume its just time slot indicator (three episode length?)

I'm wonder if Death Zone vortex is a Justice League situation where it was in it's metadata, catalouge that was never updated past it's initial "official name". I don't know if they fixed it now, but Justice League has been labled "Justice League: Part 1" and we know how that went

But atleast, whatever order forum/press release that Uncensored got/saw would atleast explain the original of the name! Good find! :)
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:47 am

Kakacarrottop wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:33 am
Corlett might not remember overly specific stuff. When Kelamis got interviewed a few years ago by Geekdom101, he wasn't able to recall what the year was when he recorded his final episode as Goku, or something along those lines.

Barry Watson would be the most appropriate person to contact about this, since he was basically in charge of all the early Funimation dubs. But he seems to have vanished off the face of the earth ever since his anime company Illumitoon folded 10 years ago.
Interesting to hear that Watson was still doing stuff with that company of his before it went defunct, i had though he'd all but entirely vanished from the production scene after leaving FUNimation back around 2004/2005. It seems nobody knows his whereabouts or what he's done since then though apparently he was already receding into a smaller presence at FUNi during the later years of his time there as most of the heaviest involvement on his part came with the 1996 dub through somewhere into the in house dub up to a certain point.

I had never realized that edited into the TV bit from Tenkaichi Gohan in the BLT dub commercial was there, so that would mean they already more than likely had some of the DBZ movies in their possession before there were proper dubs done which wouldn't be for another two or so years at that point.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:47 am

Interesting to hear that Watson was still doing stuff with that company of his before it went defunct, i had though he'd all but entirely vanished from the production scene after leaving FUNimation back around 2004/2005. It seems nobody knows his whereabouts or what he's done since then though apparently he was already receding into a smaller presence at FUNi during the later years of his time there as most of the heaviest involvement on his part came with the 1996 dub through somewhere into the in house dub up to a certain point.

I had never realized that edited into the TV bit from Tenkaichi Gohan in the BLT dub commercial was there, so that would mean they already more than likely had some of the DBZ movies in their possession before there were proper dubs done which wouldn't be for another two or so years at that point.
A year.

The BLT dub aired in fall of 1995 the Z dub debuted a year later in Fall 1996.

I’m pretty sure Barry had a heavy influence all the way through Ultimate Uncut. He played a big part in GT rebranding itself as Dragon Ball Z 2: Xtreeeeme Boogaloo

He also hired Nathan Johnson to score UUE, iirc

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:19 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:47 am

A year.

The BLT dub aired in fall of 1995 the Z dub debuted a year later in Fall 1996.

I’m pretty sure Barry had a heavy influence all the way through Ultimate Uncut. He played a big part in GT rebranding itself as Dragon Ball Z 2: Xtreeeeme Boogaloo

He also hired Nathan Johnson to score UUE, iirc
Ah i see, for some reason i figured he wasn't quite as prominent in those decisions and the like after a certain point but apparently was more involved than i'd thought up to his subsequently leaving the company. Also i was referring more to that it of course wasn't until sometime in late 1997 through early 1998 that the movies in terms of Z's started coming out although FUNi itself didn't really have much involvement there as it was mostly all Pioneer and Ocean Studios in that regard.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:24 am

Yeah, while Watson was focused on Dragon Ball up through the UUE days that seemed to be the extent of his involvement. I vaguely recall Justin Cook saying that Watson gave him Yuu Yuu Hakusho because of how busy he was? My brain might be making shit up.

Then for whatever reason Watson started Illumitoon? I don't know the story, although I do recall Laura Bailey not being fond of Watson.

Why my brain remembers shit from fifteen years ago and not Actually Important Things I will never know.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter