The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm

I believed Dragon Ball would've worked here just as well without replacement scores from the start as things like the Pioneer produced dubs of Z movies 1-3 showed, if there had not existed reasons for them to have done so back in the day. One of the biggest of why they did especially with DBZ was their misguided ideas of what would make the show look all cool and faux hardcore edgy to the demographic of viewers they were targeting. Ultimately though, they did what was per the norm for quite a few but not all dub production companies at the time.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sat May 30, 2020 2:12 pm

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am
Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am
I dunno about that last part, sounds like Toei fanfiction, but Kefla was stated to be unrivaled in the tournament and believed a single blast was enough to take out both Goku and Jiren. She's definitely stronger than the pre-UI Jiren.

:lol: Did you not read the fourth chapter or the Resurrection of F manga? Also what evidence? :lol: Sorry to break it to you, but "Ultimate" has always been nothing more than an unlocking of one's potential, not a transformation.
- Jiren being above GoDs (even when not in full power) was stated in both the anime and manga. YOU are the one making fan fiction. Kefla was never put on that level in either version.

And Kefla believing she could kill Goku & Jiren with a single blast is just her being overconfident, always proven wrong.

"stated by Vados to be unrivaled in the entire tournament"

Which was proven wrong, since she got matched by Gohan in the manga and outclassed by UI Goku, SSBE Vegeta, Suppressed Jiren and (anime only) GoD Toppo lol.

- Your Gohan claims are pure headcanon. If Ultimate is just "base" Gohan the why doesn't he stack SS2 on top of it?
Jiren was stated to have surpassed Belmod (a GoD that was planning his retirement) in terms of strength alone, nothing about Jiren being stronger than all of the GoDs like some cancelled fanfic says, and ESPECIALLY nothing about him being that strong while not even going all out like you're claiming.

"Muh overconfidence"
Translation: I have no argument against the facts.

Reminder that manga Kefla isn't like turdnime Kefla, she admits when she has lost the battle and failed.

Vados' statement isn't false because Gohan, who was stated to have been holding back (with Piccolo telling him to save his full power for later), managed to surpass Kefla during their battle. Vados saw everyone fought and is an Angel, you're the only one arguing Angels are incompetent and are unable to make simple deductions. Vados stated Kefla was unmatched based on everything seen so far in the tournament, and here's a list of some things that were shown prior to Kefla:
-Jiren vs CSSB Goku and Hit
-Jiren vs CSSB Goku
-CSSB Vegeta vs Toppo
-Golden Freeza vs Kale / Caulifla
-CSSB Goku vs Berserk SS1 Kale
-Golden Freeza vs Berserk SS1 Kale

Stop spreading misinformation, Kefla is SHOWN and STATED to have been unrivaled in the ToP, only for Gohan to surpass her in his base form.

"Why doesn't Gohan stack SS2 on top of his base form"

It's almost like you didn't read the manga at all :lol: first you're claiming Gohan has never been shown to go Super Saiyan while "Ultimate" (even though he does in BoG and RoF) and then you make the argument of "w-well why doesn't he just go SS2?" :lol: he chooses to grow as a human relying on his own abilities, which means not using his Super Saiyan forms for power.

I'm still waiting for this "evidence" of your's. But you have none, looks like that's just another case of misinformation being spread by you.
More BS as usual lol. You are in denial.

- You honestly believe that a casual blast from Kefla (which Gohan easily deflected) could have killed Jiren & Goku? That's the dumbest shit I've heard in this whole forum lmao.

- Jiren was repeated stated in both versions to be above the GoDs in general, not just Belmod (who himself is relative to Jiren, so your argument fails either way lol).

- If Kefla was unmatched, then Gohan wouldn't have matched her and ended in a draw (logic), and Jiren wouldn't still have been shown to be the strongest enemy of the ToP.

-" Muh overconfidence"
Translation: I have no argument against the facts. "

You're projecting bro lmao. I gave direct facts and logic against your BS. Just because a character believes they could do something don't mean that they could.

-"Reminder that manga Kefla isn't like turdnime Kefla, she admits when she has lost the battle and failed. "

You just outed yourself as an insecure manga fanboy lmao. When has Kefla ever admitted in anything in the manga? You're making shit up.

Either way, Anime Kefla has way better feats and statements than her manga version: she forced Goku into UI Omen (which you failed to prove Manga Gohan even comes close too) and could have killed him with her energy waves, and even she was portrayed as still weaker than Suppressed Jiren.

- The whole "Imma Human" nonsense with Manga Gohan is bad writing, since even without SSJ, everyone knows that Gohan's potential mainly comes from his Saiyan genetics. And going SSJ IS one of Gohan's own natural abilities, so his reasoning for not going SSJ anymore in the manga is retarded lmao.

And no, Gohan lost his ability to use his Ultimate form after BoG (and stopped training since the Buu arc) and only gained it back during the ToP recruitment arc. He's never been shown to stack SSJ on top of his Ultimate state in Super.

The only one spewing misinformation is you bro.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Equivalent one-month temporary ban issued.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat May 30, 2020 2:44 pm

This thread really doesn't deserve to get derailed into the same old bad faith arguments about power levels and canon we've seen a thousand times before elsewhere. I'd ask you if you could just remove that entire conversation, but then again that wouldn't be fitting either at this point... oh well.
Speaking of actual misinformation, would you say the whole Dragon Ball AF situation from back then counts? It's a playground rumour type of misinformation, I guess, but the belief that AF was real (or official rather) was pretty widespread at one point.
Note: I'm using the general "you" here, not addressing anyone in particular
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:44 pmWould you say the whole Dragon Ball AF situation from back then counts?
Yes, as that's the definition of a Dragon Ball rumor/misinformation. I remember people going as far as to come up with fake episode titles, 100s of them even. There was also the countless fan art as well. I don't think I've ever seen so much dedication put into a single rumor. Come to think of it, Super has taken some concepts from it. Broly being brought into the story and an evil Kai with an evil Goku (xicor was it ?) to name a few. Does anyone remember if Freeza was involved in AF ?

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 pm
Alruneia wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:44 pmWould you say the whole Dragon Ball AF situation from back then counts?
Yes, as that's the definition of a Dragon Ball rumor/misinformation. I remember people going as far as to come up with fake episode titles, 100s of them even. There was also the countless fan art as well. I don't think I've ever seen so much dedication put into a single rumor. Come to think of it, Super has taken some concepts from it. Broly being brought into the story and an evil Kai with an evil Goku (xicor was it ?) to name a few. Does anyone remember if Freeza was involved in AF ?
Wasn't SSJ5 Goku just some original character

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Dragon Ball AF definitely counts.

I remember reading forums where people tried to argue they were sure that it was airing in Japan. There was also a YouTube video of the Japanese version and Nappa's cameo in GT where the poster said it was Vegeta Jr facing him (although it's likely the poster knew this wasn't the case and he/she was trying to fool gullible viewers).
Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 pm evil Kai with an evil Goku (xicor was it ?) to name a few.
Xicor was Goku's son through some mind rape powers the Western Supreme Kai used on Goku, so he was half Kaioshin, half Saiyan.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 pmDoes anyone remember if Freeza was involved in AF ?
Yes, the villains returning from Hell was rehashed in many iterations of AF and Freeza merged with Cooler.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat May 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm
"SS5 Goku" was a character by the name of Tablos if I recall correctly. Just a Spanish guy's OC which was "renamed" into a new transformation.
As far as Frieza's involvement in AF goes, I'm sure there's plenty, but this is what I know: The Toyble AF has a flashback scene that explains how King Cold and Lila (the Western Supreme Kai) made Frieza together (this is used in the context of Xicor's creation, which is the same thing except you swap King Cold out with Goku). There's also a character named Ize, who's Frieza's son, that appears in the YoungJijii AF.
Last edited by Alruneia on Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pmWasn't SSJ5 Goku just some original character
If I'm not mistaking it was an original drawing from Spain for a contest, then someone mistook it for Goku, and that's where it all started.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 3:29 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pmWasn't SSJ5 Goku just some original character
If I'm not mistaking it was an original drawing from Spain for a contest, then someone mistook it for Goku, and that's where it all started.
yeah it was a contest for the best oc or whatever

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:25 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 pm

"SS5 Goku" was a character by the name of Tablos if I recall correctly. Just a Spanish guy's OC which was "renamed" into a new transformation.
As far as Frieza's involvement in AF goes, I'm sure there's plenty, but this is what I know: The Toyble AF has a flashback scene that explains how King Cold and Lila (the Western Supreme Kai) made Frieza together (this is used in the context of Xicor's creation, which is the same thing except you swap King Cold out with Goku). There's also a character named Ize, who's Frieza's son, that appears in the YoungJijii AF.
Right Tablos that's what it was

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 30, 2020 3:32 pm

I remembered hearing back in the day that AF was an elaborate April Fool’s Day joke, but at this point, I really have no idea what to make of anything regarding that myth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 pm
There were a lot of made up titles and summaries for the plot of AF. I remember myfavouritegames.com used to document them.

There was one storyline where Goku became so powerful in SSJ5 that he turned evil and it was up to Vegeta to stop him by mastering both SSJ5 and SSJ6.

It was all very generic fanfic fare.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:38 pmThere were a lot of made up titles and summaries for the plot of AF. I remember myfavouritegames.com used to document them.
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I wonder if it'd still be talked about and believed today if modern DB didn't happen.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:38 pmIt was all very generic fanfic fare.
So not much different from what we've been officially getting since 2008's special.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm

GT taking place 10 years after EoZ instead of 5 like it actually is.

And I wonder where was it stated in the manga that SSB was 10x SSG? because for years I believed that, but never knew exactly when was that said, and I re-read the manga last month and found nothing of that sort.
So, was I misinformed, skipped the panel explaining that or what?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm GT taking place 10 years after EoZ instead of 5 like it actually is.
I mean... this wasn’t clear from the show itself. I suspect it was always supposed to be five years, and this jibes well with some of the old concept art of Pan being kinda short; about as tall as Goku. And in the first episode there are some scenes early on that seem to have been storyboarded long in advance with a chibier Pan which even made it into the final animation. Also in the first ending song.

On the other hand Pan does not act like she’s 8 (third grade) going on dates downtown with what appeared to be a teenage boy. 8 year olds are still fairly simple children. The guidebooks stuck with “5 years,” but the show itself is indecisive and given GT’s inclination to plotholes, you could make a good case that the internal evidence from the show overrides the Perfect Files statements.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat May 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm And I wonder where was it stated in the manga that SSB was 10x SSG? because for years I believed that, but never knew exactly when was that said, and I re-read the manga last month and found nothing of that sort.
So, was I misinformed, skipped the panel explaining that or what?
If I recall correctly, it was explained during the Champa tournament that since Vegeta just showed SSB to Cabba, he wasted a lot of stamina, so when he transformed again to fight Hit, his SSB was at less than a tenth of its full power, and at that point, Goku's SSG was stronger. So what you get from that is
SSG > Less than 10 % of SSB
Multiply by 10 on both sides
10x SSG > Less than 100 % of SSB
which is a pretty vague comparison thanks to both the inequality sign and the "less than" bit. If you ignore those two parts, you do get SSB being SSG x10, though, so I'd call this one a case of being overly specific with numbers and maths. More of a misinterpretation than direct misinformation.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Zestanor wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm GT taking place 10 years after EoZ instead of 5 like it actually is.
I mean... this wasn’t clear from the show itself. I suspect it was always supposed to be five years, and this jibes well with some of the old concept art of Pan being kinda short; about as tall as Goku. And in the first episode there are some scenes early on that seem to have been storyboarded long in advance with a chibier Pan which even made it into the final animation. Also in the first ending song.

On the other hand Pan does not act like she’s 8 (third grade) going on dates downtown with what appeared to be a teenage boy. 8 year olds are still fairly simple children. The guidebooks stuck with “5 years,” but the show itself is indecisive and given GT’s inclination to plotholes, you could make a good case that the internal evidence from the show overrides the Perfect Files statements.
If I recall, the FUNimation website for GT also claimed that the show took place 10 years after Goku flew off with Uub/Oob, so that might’ve been a contributing factor to the confusion. Of course, Pan’s behavior isn’t the only thing that’s odd about the timeline. Bra also dresses and acts like a stereotypical teenager, despite being even younger than Pan, and there was also that moment in episode 27 where some teenagers were hitting on her. I’m not sure the people at Toei even knew when the show was supposed to take place when they were making it.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 am

Something I keep seeing is people tell dbs newbies that the movies where “retconned” with/in the anime or are “no longer” canon, when they are just different continuities.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 31, 2020 12:33 am

pepd wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 am Something I keep seeing is people tell dbs newbies that the movies where “retconned” with/in the anime or are “no longer” canon, when they are just different continuities.
Well I mean they are about as canon as GT. The Battle of Gods' movie uses a complete power scaling which is just not canon anymore and doesn't make any sense. Like in the movie, Goku is 60% of Beerus where in the anime he isn't even 1%. Idk it's definitely weird