How to properly watch GT ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: How to properly watch GT ?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pmNot enough here are putting emphasis on the action. GT's action is bland, unmemorable, and boring. It hurts the show a lot.
I think the vast majority of fans agree with this, it's just that those 10 episodes (6-15) most likely killed the show before it had a chance to show off what it could do.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:24 am

ABED wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:12 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:55 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:39 am Can't agree more. If you start at Saiyan Saga, as a new viewer, you are dumped all these characters that you know nothing about, and will have to be over time retroactively told of their connection to Goku, why they are friend or foe, and why we should care about them via flashbacks and other exposition. If you watch DB, then go into Z, you already have all the necessary info on the main cast. The only characters that would appear "New" would be Gohan and the Saiyans.
There's also the giant dragon that grants wishes, it's not explained at all in the Saiyan arc, as you're expected to know about it.
It's a giant dragon that grants wishes. very little exposition is needed. The problem isn't the audience's lack of understanding, it's a matter of emotional connection. The only death that has real impact is Piccolo's because we've spent considerable time with him and his bond with Gohan was dramatized.
Indeed, and the deaths of characters like Yamcha come across as just kind of awkward or forced to those who start with Z, because people uninitiated with OG DB won't truly understand the emotional weight that he carried with the main cast. Having been Bulma's boyfriend, one of Goku's life long friends, and a pupil of Roshi. Any exposition they give is no real substitute for actually watching DB and seeing the character develop over the episodes.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:52 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pmNot enough here are putting emphasis on the action. GT's action is bland, unmemorable, and boring. It hurts the show a lot.
I think the vast majority of fans agree with this, it's just that those 10 episodes (6-15) most likely killed the show before it had a chance to show off what it could do.
While agree, even the better parts don't make up for the bland parts. GT isn't a case of a series where the audience checked out before the series found its footing. There's a slight uptick in quality later, but the fundamental problems are there throughout.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:02 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm surprised by that too, it was basically FUNi saying 'We've taken this black sheep product and made it so much better." and the mindset of the era that went into their adapting the show which this trailer reflected. This really is such a stark contrast to where they have been around the last decade, and the idea that it must be all hardcore and stuff fits right in with their treatment and MO of the series in the era of Barry Watson and others in charge at the time.
Now i'm debating which is worse. Rock the Dragon or this GT rap :lol:
It's tough to decide, while Rock the Dragon is a cheesy mid '90s song that sounds more fitting for an action cartoon of the time and did sort of fit the Ocean dub i personally believe that Step into the Grand Tour is the worser of the two. Thank god they later decided to ditch it entirely when releasing the season sets.
Sorry for the necro, but I did listen to the more faithful english theme they made for the newer home releases of GT, and it sounds like pure audio bliss coming from Step Into the Grand Tour. Before you had some pure early 2000's corny ass rap, but now you get more or less the same song as the Japanese version, just with rearranged and tweaked lyrics to make it flow better in English. Pretty decent all things considered.

Still never could beat the English version of the OG DB theme in my books. It's like a guilty pleasure for me, kind of a bop. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnd7d4axHo
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:02 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm
Now i'm debating which is worse. Rock the Dragon or this GT rap :lol:
It's tough to decide, while Rock the Dragon is a cheesy mid '90s song that sounds more fitting for an action cartoon of the time and did sort of fit the Ocean dub i personally believe that Step into the Grand Tour is the worser of the two. Thank god they later decided to ditch it entirely when releasing the season sets.
Sorry for the necro, but I did listen to the more faithful english theme they made for the newer home releases of GT, and it sounds like pure audio bliss coming from Step Into the Grand Tour. Before you had some pure early 2000's corny ass rap, but now you get more or less the same song as the Japanese version, just with rearranged and tweaked lyrics to make it flow better in English. Pretty decent all things considered.

Still never could beat the English version of the OG DB theme in my books. It's like a guilty pleasure for me, kind of a bop. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnd7d4axHo
Yes, the dubbed cover of Makafushigi Adventure is my favorite along with Dragon Soul in Kai 1.0 particularly Vic Mignogna's version which is on the third Part set release.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)