"You're a Weeb"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

"You're a Weeb"

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm

The North American Dragon Ball fanbase is split between the English and Japanese dubs. Because of how radically different the two dubs can be (particularly with earlier media), the two sides often clash over which is superior. When it comes to fans of the English dub, they often dismiss those who prefer the Japanese dub by calling them "weebs". This is baffling because it implies that Dragon Ball is only an anime if it's in Japanese.

I understand that Funimation used to treat Dragon Ball like an American action cartoon, but do people genuinely not know that it isn't one?

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3799
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:04 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE dubs but this attitude is shit and needs to die like yesterday.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2667
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Is that mentality really still prominent today? More people are accustomed to the Japanese version today than ever before. People were already making memes about Goku Black and Ultra Instinct before FUNimation ever got around to dubbing that stuff.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm
Is that mentality really still prominent today? More people are accustomed to the Japanese version today than ever before. People were already making memes about Goku Black and Ultra Instinct before FUNimation ever got around to dubbing that stuff.
I just saw two people do it in response to a YouTube comment. The first was posted a week ago, and the other was posted nine hours ago.

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Its a throw away insult, don't feed too much into it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13477
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 pm

I mean, I don't really qualify for being an Otaku so...eh? I used to be really bothered by being called a weaboo but then it stopped being anywhere near the most important thing in my life after getting into lefty and queer politics.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm

I always thought the idea of a "weeaboo" was someone who romanticizes and infantilizes Japanese culture based on thinking anime is all there is about Japan, and values it above their own society as a result. Like those guys online who say things like "anime doesn't have politics!" and "Japan doesn't have feminism!" to dunk on everything else, etc.

At least, that's what the Filthy Frank video on weebs said, which was the first time I heard the term. Kinda sad how none of his fucking fans got the message of that thing.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Zestanor
Regular
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Zestanor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm

I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13477
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm
I always thought the idea of a "weeaboo" was someone who romanticizes and infantilizes Japanese culture based on thinking anime is all there is about Japan, and values it above their own society as a result. Like those guys online who say things like "anime doesn't have politics!" and "Japan doesn't have feminism!" to dunk on everything else, etc.

At least, that's what the Filthy Frank video on weebs said, which was the first time I heard the term. Kinda sad how none of his fucking fans got the message of that thing.
Yeah, that's definitely where the term is currently centered at. If you aggressively and angrily argue that Japan doesn't have any lefty politics you're pretty clearly uneducated. Like, y'all, Google is right there. Queer people exist in Japan, they're fighting for rights and representation just as much as the rest of us.
Zestanor wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm
I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Zestanor
Regular
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Zestanor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm
Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
What is dipshit?

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JustAlex1997 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 pm

Zestanor wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm
I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
In this context, they're seemingly arguing that those who prefer Japanese Dragon Ball only do so because they're unhealthily obsessed with Japan. Basically, they think those people are "elitists" for having any kind of preference (the same thing happens when people criticize bad home video releases).

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13477
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Zestanor wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm
Yes and no. Some people ironically call themselves weebs. Others call dipshits 'weebs', too.
What is dipshit?
A crass way of calling someone stupid.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am

I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13477
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am
I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
I used to get called that for using Japanese names. I've tried to not mind it. Like, yeah, I'm not normal. I don't care and I don't care what some jackass I do not even know or respect has to say, either.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:45 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 am
I recall on one of MistareFusion's videos (I believe it was his Dragon Box overview one) where he mentions a response non-question comment in which someone referred to him as a "Japanophile weeaboo" after saying the season sets are better than the Dragon Boxes just because he prefers to watch the show in it's original version, and honestly i feel that's really mischaracterizing his preference.
I used to get called that for using Japanese names. I've tried to not mind it. Like, yeah, I'm not normal. I don't care and I don't care what some jackass I do not even know or respect has to say, either.
Yeah, same with me albeit not all that much although i don't really pay mind to those types very often as quite a few whom i've personally run across seem to be those hardcore overly nostalgic of fans the old dub and as such can't bring themselves to use the original names for things although i alternate between them at times.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:55 am

JustAlex1997 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm
I understand that Funimation used to treat Dragon Ball like an American action cartoon, but do people genuinely not know that it isn't one?
No, that's impossible. If you asked this 10 years ago I might've had a different opinion, but there's no way a DB fan in today's world doesn't know it's an anime (unless they're extremely young like 10 years old). I think it has to do with the fact that watching anime is looked down upon in America (although it's becoming more acceptable as time goes on), so some fans try to justify liking DB by saying it's just a cartoon made in Japan...which is what anime is, cartoons made in Japan.
Zestanor wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:46 pm
I mean define weeb. These days isn't that just a name for anime fans used ironically?
I always thought it and Otaku were the Japanese equivalent for geek.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13477
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am

Otaku as we use it in the west really ignores the content of its coinage so I always shirk when I see it used in the western fandom. The fundamental attribute of an Otaku--going by Saitou Tamaki's analysis--is the ability to orgasm to an anime character. To experience romantic attraction to them.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:31 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 am
The fundamental attribute of an Otaku--going by Saitou Tamaki's analysis--is the ability to orgasm to an anime character. To experience romantic attraction to them.
That's...very different from what I thought it meant. :o :shock:

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8291
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am

That's not the common usage of the term, it's similar in meaning to "geek" but carries a lot more social stigma (but then again, so did nerd and geek until more recently).

It could also be comparable to something like "fanboy/girl" which can be used to describe people who take their fandom to obsessive/unhealthy levels.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: "You're a Weeb"

Post by JustAlex1997 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:18 am

Saiga wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am
That's not the common usage of the term, it's similar in meaning to "geek" but carries a lot more social stigma (but then again, so did nerd and geek until more recently).

It could also be comparable to something like "fanboy/girl" which can be used to describe people who take their fandom to obsessive/unhealthy levels.
It's weird, isn't it? My dad sounded somewhat disappointed when I called myself a nerd once (somewhere in the early 2010's).

Post Reply